Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

i just want more roy plots that dont center on him being a good boyfriend. the beginning of the season stuff with him doing commenting and then joining the coaching staff were all so good. and god idk how they're going to fix keeley but she kinda sucks now, let her be fun again please.

I'd accept a longer cut of Roy's retirement announcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
I know the show plays a bit fast and loose with "football realism," and that complaining about how things "aren't really like this" isn't really very useful, but this whole storyline with Sam and the businessman guy is bizarre.

The offer to move to a club in Casablanca is terrible and literally no football player would accept it for any reason other than the money. The idea to turn a team in Morocco into one of the biggest in the world is practically impossible, it's basically total nonsense. And there's no reason to say the club's in Casablanca, if you're going to make up total nonsense just say the club's in Nigeria!

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 2, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why is Steve Carell still on The Morning Show

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lutha Mahtin posted:

amusement machines are pretty common in pubs/bars

Yeah usually fruit machines and the like, and back when I was a kid you'd probably get a bootleg street fighter cabinet where left didn't work, I just cannot recall seeing a proper pinball machine in a pub in the last 20 years or so.

Not that I think it's a bad thing, pinball is fun even if I'm very bad at it and I still need to drag friends to the pinball museum that's just down the road from me. Set a trend, Ted!

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

pokeyman posted:

I'd accept a longer cut of Roy's retirement announcement.

i would loving love this. also if this show ends after 3 seasons please god give me a Roy Kent spin off

LionArcher posted:

Her and Ted not hanging out hugely hurt. They had a great friendship and it really helped flesh out both of them.

absolutely, they have such great chemistry together, id love more keely/ted hangouts

LionArcher posted:

The drop off in quality here is worse than the last two seasons of Game of Thrones. At least there everyone acting like idiots fit with what we had seen prior.

disagree, its a drop off but its more a pacing issue and some weird choices more than a total collapse (which is what happened in GoT). The early season Roy stuff was great, the entire Ted/Doc arc was genuinely great, anything with Sassy is delightful, and the Jamie/his dad stuff was exceptionally well written. They just desperately needed a better through-line this season to tie it all together. And of course the massive whiff with Rebecca/Sam is a big problem. The power dynamics are gross and their chemistry can't overcome it.

oh also we're all on the same page that the new billionaire is secretly evil as gently caress right?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

oh also we're all on the same page that the new billionaire is secretly evil as gently caress right?

Oh yeah for sure

The Rebecca/Sam thing is definitely the biggest issue I personally have with this season and I think the writers are such romantics that they’re completely blind to the actual issues with it. That being said I don’t think it’s as completely horrible and inappropriate as some of you, but it’s still more problematic than the show is willing to admit

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
This show is way more "sitcomy" this season. And before I get another smug "it's always been a sitcom hth" response, I'm saying this season is waaaaaaay more far fetched and unbelievable than the first season. Granted, the whole premise is silly but this year we've had:

1. A sponsor and NATIONAL GOVERNMENT get called out in public with no backlash what soever

2. An asinine Christmas episode

3. Ted pretending be a different yelly personality

4. A group of people singing an internet meme at a funeral

5. An eccentric billionaire landing helicopters on the field and buying up museums and restaurants to impress someone

6. Pretty much everything to do with Sam/Rebecca

7. An absurd (but at least somewhat enjoyable) adventure with a bunch of side characters

They basically fast forwarded through the "slow decline" phase of television writing and jumped directly into like season 7 sitcom shenanigans.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Robobot posted:

3. Ted pretending be a different yelly personality

I remember when people were like, "Ted's pretend personality is probably going to come back and be part of a big character development reveal"

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Yeah, I thought that and was wrong. I also thought Rebecca would have to fire Sam and I was wrong.

Edit:
And I still think those two things would have been better than what we got

Robobot fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 2, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The first season had them doing a seance because they thought their locker room was haunted. Your logic is not good

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
You can still like the season. Just because I have issues with the writing doesn't mean you can't enjoy it.

HTH

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I do! I enjoy it a lot! Doesn’t mean I’m not gonna call out nonsensical criticisms/whatever Lion is playing at when I see them lol

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
You just called me out for a list of like 7 oddball things that don't mesh with the first season by saying a team building exercise was the same as a billionaire renting a museum and filling it with actors and Banksy.

Come on now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's been my favorite TV thing of the week all season and helps me wind down on a Friday night, guaranteeing a bunch of actual laughs rather than just appreciation that something is funny. I'm going to miss it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Robobot posted:

You just called me out for a list of like 7 oddball things that don't mesh with the first season by saying a team building exercise was the same as a billionaire renting a museum and filling it with actors and Banksy.

Come on now.

I mean one of your list is just “there was an episode I didn’t like”, how would you like me to respond to that lol

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Ah, you're one of those fans. I'm not attacking you or the things you like. I like this show too, it's just a lot different this season and I liked the first season more.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
??? I was just saying I thought some of your list wasn’t a good example of the show suddenly turning into “season 7 sitcom shenanigans”. I mean some of your examples of this are “there was a romance” and “there was a Christmas episode”, do those actually equal “season 7 sitcom shenanigans” in your head?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Robobot posted:

Ah, you're one of those fans.

I have no dog in this fight, but gently caress off with this poo poo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m not sure how much this comes across like “absolutely no criticism is allowed!!!!” to people not involved in this debate, but that’s really not what I’m going for. I just think there’s a difference between complaining that the show has dropped seemingly massively important storylines at the drop of a hat, or the issues with the Sam/Rebecca storyline, and suggesting that the show has had a GoT-level downturn or become full of potentially shark-jumping silliness.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Prestige media and hunting plot holes has poisoned people's brains to where something happening for plot convenience has to be over-analyzed into a pile of dust. I see a lot of parallels with Scrubs when watching Lasso, like how in Scrubs a doctor knocks the head of the hospital out and the minor consequences for this are entirely doled out in the next episode before it's never mentioned again. I never watched Spin City or Cougar Town but I think this is just how Bill Lawrence likes running shows.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
You're right. I was kinda being a dick there and didn't mean to be. I apologize.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

njsykora posted:

Prestige media and hunting plot holes has poisoned people's brains to where something happening for plot convenience has to be over-analyzed into a pile of dust. I see a lot of parallels with Scrubs when watching Lasso, like how in Scrubs a doctor knocks the head of the hospital out and the minor consequences for this are entirely doled out in the next episode before it's never mentioned again. I never watched Spin City or Cougar Town but I think this is just how Bill Lawrence likes running shows.

Scrubs is an odd case too where the first ~5 seasons clearly delineated between fantasy and reality, then the subsequent 3 seasons increasingly pulled the fantastical into the ostensibly realistic scenes. Other than the Beard episode, I think we're meant to take what we see in Ted Lasso at face value, but I wonder if they'll veer more into that kinda fantasy stuff.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Also saying that the quality drop is similar to GoT is extreme, even for hyperbole. With how bad the last season of GoT was, I don’t think I could recommend someone start watching the series if they had never seen any of it before. That’s definitely not the case with Ted Lasso, even if you aren’t a fan of the current season.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The only thing that could make this show catch up to GoT would be something completely out there like Ted committing suicide or Nate killing someone.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I think it’s more accurate to say that the thematic balance they maintained in s1 isn’t really present anymore. It’s like they dialed the Ted Lasso Mystique up to 11 this time and for me the show’s worse for it

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I understand being disappointed by the latest season in contrast to the first, but some of this seems pretty hyperbolic. (Nothing is comparable to that last season of Game Of Thrones, not even Mass Effect 3 - and I hated the entire game, not just the ending)

Spacebump posted:

I like a weekly release schedule because it helps drive discussion. Having the entire season out at once hurts online discussion because you basically have to watch a whole season before you can discuss it anywhere or it might get spoiled. It also helps individual episodes stand out.

I can def understand disliking the weekly release schedule though.
I think weekly is better for a lot of shows, but I think Ted Lasso probably would work better as a bingeable dump of episodes. (Speaking as someone who got through season 1 in a weekend!)

I honestly can't tell if his evil with absurdly wasteful spending and literally still being a billionaire) is written intentionally, or if that's just American TV's love of disgusting wealth being a fun, exciting thing to put to film and we're not actually meant to read anything into it.

The helicopter shots felt like it was more languishing in glamorous spectacle than telling a story.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Escobarbarian posted:

Why is Steve Carell still on The Morning Show

I'm guessing so they can do a plot involving Italy at the start of the pandemic and have him trapped there

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

VagueRant posted:

]

I honestly can't tell if his evil with absurdly wasteful spending and literally still being a billionaire) is written intentionally, or if that's just American TV's love of disgusting wealth being a fun, exciting thing to put to film and we're not actually meant to read anything into it.

The helicopter shots felt like it was more languishing in glamorous spectacle than telling a story.

Yea the wasteful spending is a toss-up but his ability to hit every single note that Sam would love is I think intended to be a flag. It just reeked of manipulation to me.

Semi related but I think hilariously enough they might actually try to keep drawing this distinction that rich people can be wonderful (since most of the cast is wildly wealthy), just not billionaires.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
The Baja Casablanca pitch I contend would only work if Sam was like 35 and didn’t want to go to China/USA . The whole idea is so silly if you look at the kind of money being thrown around intl soccer.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Sam getting poached by Man City would have been much more realistic and setup next season's showdown.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Ted Lasso has a Glee level downturn.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Robobot posted:

4. A group of people singing an internet meme at a funeral

5. An eccentric billionaire landing helicopters on the field

I mean, I've seen both of these things happen IRL. The Rick Astley thing is bizarrely common, though when you think about the song and the air time it's received the last few years it's probably unsurprising.

The show was never really in the real world though, and I wonder if some goons are having difficulty reconciling the show in their heads -- grounded, light character drama about positivity, sharing and kindness -- with the show as is -- a show about very rich people getting into mostly simple emotional engagements, in a show that's about positivity, sharing, kindness, and other things.

The show wasn't ever particularly grounded, tbh. The elevator pitch reads like a sports team anime.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

The elevator pitch reads like a sports team anime.

Okay so this is Ted Lasso:

This is an honest to god sports team anime (game but details):

Yup, completely the same emotional wavelength. Uh huh.

Even if we ignore shounen and look at something more somber like Giant Killing that is still a story fundamentally about football, rather than a coaching story/sitcom/soap opera framed by football.

EDIT: I will however concede that Jamie Tart is anime as gently caress.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 3, 2021

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
I have no idea whats happening in Foundation. But I'll try and stick with it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Okay so this is Ted Lasso:

This is an honest to god sports team anime (game but details):

Yup, completely the same emotional wavelength. Uh huh.

Even if we ignore shounen and look at something more somber like Giant Killing that is still a story fundamentally about football, coaching story/sitcom/soap opera framed by football

Yeah, I'd never watch that, but I was thinking something more along the lines of Boys Over Flowers, what little I've seen of Kuroko's Basket, or the more grounded parts of Ping Pong. Not shonen battleaxe giant water butt battlers on Mars: the butts are over 9000.

I don't think the action elements need to be as central to the narrative as all that to count as a sports drama, but I gey the sense that you're very much missing the sport.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can acknowledge the football stuff being pushed way into the background, and Richmond’s fortunes seeming to change on a whim off-screen, as a flaw of the season, but drat if I just don’t actually care about it in the slightest.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Dear apple, if you're going to make hour plus long shows maybe design your dumb app with the ability to keep track of the progress so the viewer doesn't have to constantly fast forward back to resume the episode. I'm sorry I had to do the unthinkable and pause an episode for more than a few moments to do something else, but this is a standard feature of literally ever other streaming service I have so there's no real excuse.

Thank you, now please continue arguing over Ted Lasso.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What device are you using? It does so on every one I’ve used it on (phone, laptop, Fire TV, PS5)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm using a 4k fire stick.

e: I literally just paused an episode of Foundation that I was 90% of the way through, backed out to the series page and when I select the same episode my only option is the play from the beginning so I dunno. I'll try reinstalling the app, maybe that will fix it.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My Roku Express starts you at the beginning of any Apple TV+ show too.