Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Tiger Millionaire posted:

The run-up animation on the ground throw if you're not point blank really feels like everyone has a command grab tbh, landing it as miyako feels especially satisfying

it was great in BBTag and it's great here. edit: except in this game you ddon't have a 14 frame tech window

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
i know ludosity said that they would look into dlc characters and voice dlc for NASB, but am i the only one who thinks that nickelodeon is going to gently caress them over and cancel whatever plans they have when the sales don't meet nickelodeon's ridiculous standards

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Willo567 posted:

i know ludosity said that they would look into dlc characters and voice dlc for NASB, but am i the only one who thinks that nickelodeon is going to gently caress them over and cancel whatever plans they have when the sales don't meet nickelodeon's ridiculous standards
no because if anything the reason why the game went dark for a bit when it was revealed is because the people at nick got completely blindsided with how popular it was right out of the gate. that's why they changed to the dripfeed media style with overview videos.

nick's made multiple other all-star type games that sold fairly poorly. this is the first that actually blew up.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

FZeroRacer posted:

no because if anything the reason why the game went dark for a bit when it was revealed is because the people at nick got completely blindsided with how popular it was right out of the gate. that's why they changed to the dripfeed media style with overview videos.

nick's made multiple other all-star type games that sold fairly poorly. this is the first that actually blew up.

it's the first that's blown up, but what if it gives nick stupidly high expectations as a result? this is the same company that cancels most shows that fail to reach spongebob ratings out of the gate

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm labbing ways to blow up wakeup shield counter with Akiha 236A and oh. i get it now. this might kinda suck

edit: okay, some stuff I found out is that from throw range you can just j.C at them (them meaning Ciel, I have to see if it's universal) and it stuffs A shield counter and lets you whiff punish B shield counter. B+C escapes but at least that uses meter so they pay a price to escape oki. However, they can delay A shield counter to try and blow your jump-in up, but I think here we start going into massive brain territory anyway.

Dias fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Oct 2, 2021

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Willo567 posted:

it's the first that's blown up, but what if it gives nick stupidly high expectations as a result? this is the same company that cancels most shows that fail to reach spongebob ratings out of the gate

Im not 11 so idgaf about their shows

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Willo567 posted:

Nickelodeon's not the one making or financing the game, they don't care.

I expect that the shovelware publisher for this game will rush out a sequel rather than any real content updates.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

today at noon, the cincinnati kombat klassic is going on. all of north america's top klassik mk kombatants are here for umk3 and mk trilogy so check it out if you want i guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjU13yq9YZ4

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Man I wish Type Lumina's dash macro worked like Strive's dash button. If I tap the button I just want a forward dash, I don't wanna do an attack because my overwhelmed idiot brain forgot to hold forward. Especially since sometimes hitting forward on my lovely controller for an air dash gets interpreted as a 9 input.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Heh I always held a direction using strives dash button :smug:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Smoking Crow posted:

today at noon, the cincinnati kombat klassic is going on. all of north america's top klassik mk kombatants are here for umk3 and mk trilogy so check it out if you want i guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjU13yq9YZ4

Which Trilogy?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gutcruncher posted:

Yeah especially cause im trying to get a grab instead of a dust launcher

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

n64

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Good

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Man, Melty is... kind of an enigma for me at this point.

After trying everyone out, I really don't like any of the cast besides Arc/Red Arc and maybe Seto Kaiba/Vlov, so that kinda narrows things for me going forward. It's also hard to see what is punishable sometimes (man, a dime for every time I thought I could punish but Arc whiffs where Red Arc wouldn't), and while I get the auto combo system is essentially saying "stop mashing," man that buffer feels like it goes hard even in double taps too.

I think what would personally help me out the most is trying to figure out what can actually be used as block strings because a lot of these moves seem deceptive as gently caress on how safe/unsafe they really are. I know it's day 3, but does anyone have any good resources for this besides trying to find random YT vids?

Plus, for the love of God French Bread, just show me the ping rather than connection bars; super laggy matches are just... awful, even worse than SFV when it gets real bad (but on average the matches are fine for me). Shield can get super silly too sometimes. Just got into a 15 second shield battle in my last match and neither of us was willing to quit

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
I promise I’m trying to be actually helpful and not pedantic here, but have you noticed that holding back while mashing buttons keeps the autocombos from coming out for a while? I had a problem with them interfering with mashing desperate jabs, but figuring this out cleared up my personal issues with the autocombo system.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm feeling pretty down on the game generally. I feel like I have to wrestle the systems really hard to do what I want. A single errant tap forces me into autocombos and getting stuff like 22B on Kohaku to come out reliably is maddening.

Shield is something I really dislike playing around. I just hate throwing out a plant and then just having to sit and block because if they shield and I push a button I'm stuffed.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

brainSnakes posted:

I promise I’m trying to be actually helpful and not pedantic here, but have you noticed that holding back while mashing buttons keeps the autocombos from coming out for a while? I had a problem with them interfering with mashing desperate jabs, but figuring this out cleared up my personal issues with the autocombo system.

Ill be dead in the cold ground before i start holding back mid combo like a degenerate charge player

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

brainSnakes posted:

True, I do try doing that but in the clutch like that, I'll be like "okay time to do an actual combo" but I'll do an input too early or too late, and the auto combo doesn't seem to like directional inputs at all, so 90% of the time I end up with auto combos anyway. I know the fault is on my end and I'm probably not explaining it all that well but it's like... I had a much, much easier time pivoting from "okay, i need to stop mashing jab and start going into going into my combo" in a clutch in something like P4A where here, I'm already in an auto-combo in mid-thought in a similar scenario.

And going by what I've been seeing in mission mode, a lot of these inputs need to be pretty drat clean and quick

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

I'm feeling pretty down on the game generally. I feel like I have to wrestle the systems really hard to do what I want. A single errant tap forces me into autocombos and getting stuff like 22B on Kohaku to come out reliably is maddening.

I was also having a bunch of issues with 22 inputs until I started buffering the motion then holding 2 until the move comes out. edit: the buffer for motions is more generous than I initially thought basically

TGLT fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 2, 2021

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm curious what the reception to this game is like. No thread for it on SA right? What are Melty gods feeling this fine Saturday. I'm into the game but it definitely feels...odd. Or incomplete or something. The sprites are beautiful though

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

It's fun but I am holding off on further opinions until it develops a bunch. Shield system seems a lil silly but I have no clue what it's long or even short term implications will be.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Gutcruncher posted:

Same, in every other video game I've played since birth if I wanna go a direction I hold that direction. I think I even hold forward subconsciously while dashing in Megaman X.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

Lumina seems fun, I only got to play it long enough to figure out which character I want to practice when I actually have time for the game on Monday. And making custom sprite colors for everyone because priorities.

I’m not sure where I fall on the game yet. French Bread fighters are always really fun to move around in imo, and the autocombo stuff doesn’t bother me because playing Tekken 7 for a couple years really forced me to work on cleaning up my button inputs and mashing less.

…But I’ve got mixed feelings on the shield from what I’ve seen so far. I’m going to have to play some real matches when I get home and figure that out. If they completely negate crossups like in regular block is a button fighters, Lumina might be dead to me.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Crossing up is actually one of the ways to beat shield but it depends on the timing obv

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The tutorial literally instructs you to cross up to beat standing Shield

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

Faffel posted:

Crossing up is actually one of the ways to beat shield but it depends on the timing obv

:madmax:

edit for Tae: That’s cool, like I mentioned I played the game in training mode for about ten minutes and won’t have another chance to play it until Monday.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Ill be dead in the cold ground before i start holding back mid combo like a degenerate charge player

gently caress you

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shields seem a little wacky but i assume people will find ways around them. they desperately need to patch in an option to turn autocombo off. besides that i like the game a lot.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

TGLT posted:

Man I wish Type Lumina's dash macro worked like Strive's dash button. If I tap the button I just want a forward dash, I don't wanna do an attack because my overwhelmed idiot brain forgot to hold forward. Especially since sometimes hitting forward on my lovely controller for an air dash gets interpreted as a 9 input.

You can use it to airdash in and mash out B specials without moving your hand :science:

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Faffel posted:

I know I have an uphill battle when I say this, and I know I might be wrong, but I swear that shield autocorrects on cross-up sometimes and people have still switched sides and shielded my poo poo perfectly on crossup

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

MechaX posted:

I know I have an uphill battle when I say this, and I know I might be wrong, but I swear that shield autocorrects on cross-up sometimes and people have still switched sides and shielded my poo poo perfectly on crossup

Also I find crossing up with IAD near impossible since, at least for Kohaku, it doesn't seem like you can cancel it instantly and she doesn't switch direction until she lands.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
It'll probably lose its novelty bit for now I am very much enjoying the shield back and forth, though wake-up shield is catching me out way more often than I would like.

...at least it's not GBVS's shield button, I hated that thing.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

Also I find crossing up with IAD near impossible since, at least for Kohaku, it doesn't seem like you can cancel it instantly and she doesn't switch direction until she lands.

You have to double jump to change your direction.

MechaX posted:

Crossup only beats shield if they're stuck in the animation because shielding is directional unlike Melty of old. People get into infinite shield battles because no one knows what they're doing, counter shield D~A smokes A follow-up if you do it instantly and delay crossup dp will blow up B follow-up aka nothin' personel kid.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 2, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

MechaX posted:

Man, Melty is... kind of an enigma for me at this point.

After trying everyone out, I really don't like any of the cast besides Arc/Red Arc and maybe Seto Kaiba/Vlov, so that kinda narrows things for me going forward. It's also hard to see what is punishable sometimes (man, a dime for every time I thought I could punish but Arc whiffs where Red Arc wouldn't), and while I get the auto combo system is essentially saying "stop mashing," man that buffer feels like it goes hard even in double taps too.

I think what would personally help me out the most is trying to figure out what can actually be used as block strings because a lot of these moves seem deceptive as gently caress on how safe/unsafe they really are. I know it's day 3, but does anyone have any good resources for this besides trying to find random YT vids?

Plus, for the love of God French Bread, just show me the ping rather than connection bars; super laggy matches are just... awful, even worse than SFV when it gets real bad (but on average the matches are fine for me). Shield can get super silly too sometimes. Just got into a 15 second shield battle in my last match and neither of us was willing to quit

You can make any blockstring safe if you're close enough by reverse beating into 5A or 2A. You'll be -1 or something but you can jumpcancel to continue pressure I guess? That's the Melty way. Ending blockstrings in specials is a huge trap / bad habit coming from other games.

brainSnakes posted:

…But I’ve got mixed feelings on the shield from what I’ve seen so far. I’m going to have to play some real matches when I get home and figure that out. If they completely negate crossups like in regular block is a button fighters, Lumina might be dead to me.

MBTL actually has intrinsic crossup protection whenever you're blocking high. You can only crossup against low blockers or shielders.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 2, 2021

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Noel is very cool in MBTL and I've really been enjoying it

Though I really would like a way to turn off auto combos. The buffering on them is just so aggressive

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The autocombos are actually an important restriction on combos and blockstrings because it means you can't just loop (e.g.) 5C 2C 5C 2C forever, since the second 5C will become the autocombo hit.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I wonder if this'll be like DBFZ where month 1 everyone was begging for a way to turn off autocombos cause they wanna mash, then they learned turning them off would actually be nerfing yourself no matter how much of a pro you are.

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018
I look at the autocombos as a favor - if I had been mashing or doing sloppy inputs in a different game, I wouldn't have gotten the combo at all. In this game I can either succeed at doing precise inputs and get a manual combo, or I can fail and still get guaranteed damage and a knockdown. It's more forgiving for people with less precise execution and those with good execution get the manual combo anyway. I don't really see the downside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The autocombos are actually an important restriction on combos and blockstrings because it means you can't just loop (e.g.) 5C 2C 5C 2C forever, since the second 5C will become the autocombo hit.

I mean, the button could just not come out like in old Melty and Uni. They're not a big deal though and it takes maybe a day to get used to.