Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Underwater Shoe posted:

scenes from feeding time

I love this.

e: poo poo page snipe uh uh here

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

ah i see you're already like us, we who have by volume 90% of our photos be cat pics

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kw0134 posted:

ah i see you're already like us, we who have by volume 90% of our photos be cat pics

Yeah basically. I'm going to have to be better about deleting videos I don't need because they're going to fill my 256gb micro SD card up.

I'm curious - the markings in the first photo I posted, is this just somehow related to her ribs or are these stripes of some kind? I've seen people here talk about the bengal stripes as being a super dominant genetic pattern.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

honestly that might be an optical illusion based on how the fur "breaks" when it is no longer lying in a continuous plane. basically the hairs gather up and "peak" together, forming what appears to be bands but it's merely the fur being denser in those areas while in the "troughs" it's less dense and you can see to the lighter undercoat. OTOH it's not uncommon to have faint bands on an otherwise solid color because of a strong prevalence of striping in the domestic cat genome.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Black cats are actually just black on black tabbies! In the sun you can sometimes see their stripes. Pepper's were more visible when she was a kitten, I used to tell her she wasn't a real black cat and I was gonna take her back to the black cat store to get a proper one.

ETA: Google tells me there are in fact some actual black cats who aren't tabbies, but most of them are secret tabbies.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 2, 2021

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Here's a slightly more extreme example of the peaking which tells me Butters needs a brushin. She turns into a scrubby brush.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Organza Quiz posted:

Black cats are actually just black on black tabbies! In the sun you can sometimes see their stripes. Pepper's were more visible when she was a kitten, I used to tell her she wasn't a real black cat and I was gonna take her back to the black cat store to get a proper one.

ETA: Google tells me there are in fact some actual black cats who aren't tabbies, but most of them are secret tabbies.

Pearl has black/chocolate stripes in the sun, it’s beautiful

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Organza Quiz posted:

Oh super interesting. Thanks!

Quill also looks brown in the sun, or rather she gets a brown halo. Is this just an illusion from the light through black hair or are some of these black cats actually dark brown?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Boogalo posted:

Here's a slightly more extreme example of the peaking which tells me Butters needs a brushin. She turns into a scrubby brush.

butters

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

did somebody say secret tabby stripes? cuz Rokit gots them

also check this blessed tweet

https://twitter.com/the_shb/status/1443740333041328128?s=21

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

you can just about still see Pepper's forehead M

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
tabby stripes show up in all kinds of cats that look solid at first glance. it’s a super dominant gene and it seeps into basically all the cats that are not getting super carefully bred

weirdly, the stripes are along the length of the hair, too, not colored based on the skin underneath. the hair changes color back and forth as it grows to make the pattern.

i don’t know how accurate the genetics stuff is here, but this site has some good drawings of different patterns of tabby fur:

http://messybeast.com/spotted-cats.html

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Oh super interesting. Thanks!

Quill also looks brown in the sun, or rather she gets a brown halo. Is this just an illusion from the light through black hair or are some of these black cats actually dark brown?

Many black cats are actually very dark brown. When she gets old you might see it start to fade towards brown or russet quite noticeably.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 2, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Many black cats are actually very dark brown. When she gets old you might see it start to fade towards brown or russet quite noticeably.

Very cool, thanks man.

https://i.imgur.com/ucpd16s.mp4

You can sorta see the brown in this video I took today but you know imgur compression etc.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Very cool, thanks man.

https://i.imgur.com/ucpd16s.mp4

You can sorta see the brown in this video I took today but you know imgur compression etc.

I can see it. Also that is a very powerful shithead.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

yeah Rokit is a dark brown smoke. his fur becomes white closer to his skin.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
sadie is only brown in direct sunlight

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
update:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sorry for all the photos. New cat dad etc. Now that I'm looking for it I can see the patterns pretty easily.

Underwater Shoe
May 26, 2005

an informative notation for your appreciation
black cats are super interesting. It’s really hard to photograph (I’m not sure if you’ll be able to see it) but Beaudy and Pippin are quite different ‘tones’ in their black fur. Beaudy seems to be warmer, more brown maybe?, and Pippin cooler.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry for all the photos. New cat dad etc.

drop this attitude

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry for all the photos. New cat dad etc. Now that I'm looking for it I can see the patterns pretty easily.

there are never enough photos

quote:

okay, that's definitely a case of tabby striping. you can even see that the color isn't really uniform too across the rest of the body.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Visited my parents last night and saw Bear again. He is evolving from a smol cloud into a gigantic floof cloud

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Boogalo posted:

Watch out butters!!!

Peppeppep

Carth Dookie posted:

Visited my parents last night and saw Bear again. He is evolving from a smol cloud into a gigantic floof cloud

Cloud bear.

xdice
Feb 15, 2006

Usually when I try to take video of Nosey and Morris being cute, someone (or both) immediately stop whatever they're doing.
Finally had success last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcB9k-iFNnE

xdice fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 3, 2021

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Carth Dookie posted:

hi Bear!!!!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
it’s been a minute

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Pepper boogie

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
PEPPER BOOGIE!!!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

devmd01 posted:

it’s been a minute

BOOGIE FOR PUMPKIN!!!!! :woop:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
PUMPKING PEBBER

BOOIGE

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
snuggle sesh

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Can we get a Daef update

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

https://i.imgur.com/vkZuzKG.mp4

🔊

Update:

https://i.imgur.com/G24H6C2.mp4

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 3, 2021

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bear

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dang I love her coloration.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
I don't know what was in that mug but you should probably apologize to Lulu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Flakey posted:

I don't know what was in that mug but you should probably apologize to Lulu.

Decaf