Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just as a aside on the 'monsters suck at fighting lol' it is stated that killing intent is a big factor in how much a human can cause harm, but reverse is true too. If a monster doesn't want to fight it has no defense and dies easier.

It's not hard to imagine Asgore or other monsters being a incredible force in a hypothetical war while still being too weak to do anything in UT. It's why the longer some fights go on in most cases you start doing more damage- see Toriel's sudden 'critical hit'

It might also help reconcile that with the fact some monsters in UT are clearly physically stronger than a human

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Samovar posted:

If anyone's interested, Laurentheflute is streaming the second chapter again.

Decided to check this out, given the rave reviews.

45 minutes in and she still hasn't gotten past the "start chapter 2?" screen.

She owns.

E: Literally as I posted this, she clicked the button and freaked out because she didn't mean to.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SpiritualDeath posted:

Just finished reading the entire thread over a couple days since I played Chapter 1 at launch but never sought out this thread

And congrats to this prophet

Oh poo poo! I don't even remember posting that! I wonder what other forgotten prophecies I've made ended up becoming true...?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

this laurentheflute person was maybe made in a lab to be the least entertaining streamer possible for my sensibilities

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I would like it better if she'd get on with actually playing the game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also maybe helps to keep in mind the child on Genocide Route isn't necessarily an ordinary human.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

When. Even aside from pessimism being the only realistic outlook, everything about the statement he put out had this "I'm not actually going to make a full version" vibe to me.

Also, this post aged really well :V

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

To be fair it wasn't particularly on point even at the time.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
True, sadbrains etc

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I think if there's anything that the Player and Kris are in complete agreement on, it's touching that cheese.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DanielCross posted:

I think if there's anything that the Player and Kris are in complete agreement on, it's touching that cheese.

this is canon

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

DanielCross posted:

also getting bananas

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DanielCross posted:

Moss

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The relationship between Kris and the player will change depending on how much moss you have them eat.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I will make Kris inspect every bed. This, I swear.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

If this one has been posted already I apologize, the thread moves so fast. I got a good solid laugh out of it though.

https://twitter.com/TheKeaDane/status/1442961513191378946
My favorite part is how Kris is the Kim of the pair, but still the PC.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://twitter.com/mylovelyskies/status/1444063084222554118?s=20

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Max Ralsei is gonna haunt me forever

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Finished ch2. I think the most striking scene to me was Kris having their self-harm flare up in the bathroom.

I think the split between the children's imagination dark world and the rather stark and realistic portrayal of Kris's mental health issues at home are the thing that make Deltarune so gripping to me. When the game's operating in "play time" mode, it can go completely silly with bananas and golden bird statues with nipples and whatever, but when the magic is over, we're reminded of how Kris is living in the middle of a mental health crisis that isn't being attended to. Closing the bathroom door, turning the faucet on all the way, and using the noise as cover for their self harm and dissociative episode is like.... There is some meta stuff about souls going on, but it's also just straight-up in the realm of psychological realism.

I think it's interesting how the themes seem to be lining up. "Banish the Angel's Heaven" is set up as the ultimate objective. Kris, Susie, and Ralsei are the heroes, and they're generally cast as outsiders/rebels/dark-sided. Kris and Susie both definitely are Lightners who have an inner capacity for darkness. While Ralsei is from the darkness but seems to be full of goodness. The dark world is a comforting refuge. It's "a world where you don't have to fight," which echoes to the Undertale theme of nonviolence, but it also seems like it's in opposition to Kris's home life, where Toriel and Asgore are having this awful protracted post-divorce tension. In the dark world, you can communicate with people and be nice to them and eventually that leads to even the most intimidating adversaries accepting your position and getting along (even if it relies on the friends you make helping you). So the dark world is "dark" in the sense that 1. it's a shadow inverse to the light world, but also 2. it's dark because it's a dreamlike world. So "dark" doesn't have any real connection to badness or evilness, but it's interesting that it's a dark world nonetheless, because that seems as if it's in opposition to the mysterious "angel" and "heaven."

That makes Noelle interesting too, because her whole family is Christmas-themed, which seems to align again with the angel/heaven motif. But she's also gay, and her dad seems pretty cool with it, so the angel/heaven stuff might not necessarily connect to some idea of religious fundamentalism, which is normally how heaven would be portrayed as the bad guy in a story about misfits. Homophobia seems like it's going to be outside of the scope of what the game is going to tackle head-on, but the party members so far have been nonbinary, butch, a soft boy, and a lesbian, so there's definitely this narrative element of queer & gender nonconforming teens working through their issues through shared imagination and roleplaying.

also, I know it shares practically 100% of its DNA with Omori, but it's kind of amazing just how similar Deltarune and Omori are in terms of themes, structure, characters, and plot hooks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Deltarune seems pretty intent on avoiding any repressive religious themes. Alvin states their church doesn’t even have a concept of sin or confession thereof, not that it stopped Asriel from trying, and Toriel is hinted to be one of the most devout people in town but reserves all her judgment for the World’s Most Divorced Man

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
yeah, i feel like it's a buzzkill subject and Toby Fox doesn't want it to appear in his games, so the games just take the approach of being obviously in favor of dogs petting dogs. it just sticks out to me that it's a game about a bunch of gay misfits following a prophecy to basically "attack and dethrone god", but the religious stuff in-game has been pretty mellow and arms length so far. Just makes me even more curious who the Angel is, what their Heaven is, and why it needs to be banished.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cephas posted:

yeah, i feel like it's a buzzkill subject and Toby Fox doesn't want it to appear in his games, so the games just take the approach of being obviously in favor of dogs petting dogs. it just sticks out to me that it's a game about a bunch of gay misfits following a prophecy to basically "attack and dethrone god", but the religious stuff in-game has been pretty mellow and arms length so far. Just makes me even more curious who the Angel is, what their Heaven is, and why it needs to be banished.

noelle is the one most often alluded to as an angel ("the first noel" even mentions angels in its opening line) but i feel like that's a fakeout. my guess is that it's either kris or the SOUL, ie we the players. kris stands directly on the Angel's portion of the Delta Rune when they rip out their SOUL in the first chapter, while we're literally using them as a proxy to experience "Heaven," i.e. the game world, which provides our escapism just like the dark world is giving comfortable escapism to the protagonists

of course, Undertale also had an angel in its backstory, and its true identity was fluid depending on which route you took - both asriel and the fallen child saw the surface, and the former frees all the monsters in the pacifist route, while the latter "frees" them all in the genocide route. i wouldn't be surprised if something similar happens depending on whether or not we go Weird in Deltarune, but i feel like one ending is going to involve severing us from kris and thus casting us out of the game's world entirely

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Excuse you she MIGHT be bisexual, i'm just saying, we probably exist! No but she's still pretty butch I guess.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Does butch exclusively mean lesbian?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
No, no it does not.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Huh, I guess butch does work since Suzie's mean girl power level goes beyond simply calling her a tomboy at this point.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

I've only ever heard it applied to lesbians but it occurs to me that being butch is way more broad than that so, that is my bad, sorry.

Also yeah tomboy doesn't accurately capture her power level.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
susie is a Gamer.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I mean like, yes, they are terms referring to lesbians originally but back when the term was coined, and in plenty of non-online spaces today, lesbian is a term that is/was inclusive of bi women.

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 3, 2021

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/batterycapacity/status/1444315154397777923?t=Z18EGipbu3goUNOb209PsQ&s=19

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
For what it's worth I don't think Susie's indicated any romantic interest in men, if anybody at all.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

True, but it's probably not something best assumed.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/valdotpng/status/1444354352420884480?s=20

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/PhillipBankss/status/1444517485332639744?s=19

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Would not be surprised if this was a chapter theme and hell I'm here for it.

Bowser's Inside Story all over again.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

I want you to know this had me cackling like a maniac

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Turns out you get a little car NPC in your town if you don't hit any of the cars: https://youtu.be/BDK7XUHpw70

This game is full of secrets.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
I found out while trying to get the second egg that there's a knockable door outside that alley. Just knocking on it didn't seem to impress the guy in the light world, but that was on a non-imported save for the b-side route, is there any way to impress him this chapter if you did more knocks before?

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

While the hometowns religion is way softer than any real world counterparts, there is still the really funny prudishness that causes Torial to freak out when Azzy kisses a girl and have really strict rules for how close you can be for the school dance.

berdly finds drugs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSc12GRvjA8

Also someone reposting the alarm clock dialogs reminded I wanted to post this and then I procrastinated hard on posting. Apparently during the anniversary stream Toby showed off a specific hard to get dialog and I think people were too excited about everything in general to talk about anything specific much

https://acerikus.tumblr.com/post/662834339264053249/so-uhh-remember-how-at-the-start-of-this-years

Just a lot more "BY THE WAY, THE SISTER THING IS GONNA BE IMPORTANT."

And I wonder how far back he's had this whole thing planned in his head.

(Okay that last one could be any pair of sisters, There is at least two but still!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/DitzyFlama/status/1444376115473260545