Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Dry track? :cmon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Forza Italia!

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

:italy:

But also who was the fourth guy there lmao

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Good sprint from Colbrelli. Forced MvdP to go wide.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the bahrain juice is real baby

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

gently caress he nearly did them both!!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He's done. Absolutely done.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

They should give a special jersey to PR winners, and it supersedes the European hhampion jersey

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Smirr posted:

:italy:

But also who was the fourth guy there lmao

Moscon, he was almost exactly a lap down

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

🤌🤌🤌🤌🤌

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
i'm lolling at all these dead riders on the grass and the winner shrieking like a mad man.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Moscon, he was almost exactly a lap down

Ah, I missed him entering the velodrome

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Smirr posted:

They should give a special jersey to PR winners, and it supersedes the European hhampion jersey

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Is van de poel dead.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HappyCamperGL posted:

Is van de poel dead.

he slep

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Vermeersch came second lmfao

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The most italian of reactions.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HappyCamperGL posted:

Is van de poel dead.

He came third. His soul was torn from his body.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Smirr posted:

It should be solid brown.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Solid brown front and team colours back.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
once again lol at DQS

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

once again lol at DQS

They won the sprint for 5th.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Definitely the nuttiest race I've seen in a while.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Lets hope its not another 20 years until the next wet roubaix.

https://twitter.com/OutOfCycling/status/1444683244587397129

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Glad that Moscon did not win

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

:hmmrona:

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Glad that Moscon did not win

:hmmyes:

Really fun race. Will climate change result in wetter or dryer springs in northern France? Need to know for purchasing decisions going forward.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

lmao

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/1444687299380457477?s=19

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/OutOfCycling/status/1444720495979548674

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/MatteoJorg/status/1444720897709981698

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Van der Poel has been in the top 10 of every monument in the last year.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
In win [the podium] on Sunday buy on Monday news, I'm now upgrading the new Aeroroad back to "if it can survive a wet Roubaix, it can survive your ride" status.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 3, 2021

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

New bars are being fitted to customer bikes so I’d wager the pros are using them, but Alpecin was using a round bar today iirc.

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 3, 2021

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Van der Poel has been in the top 10 of every monument in the last year.

He's extraordinary but needs some more race smarts imo. Missed a few splits early on and had to pace back, if he'd positioned himself up the front he'd potentially have been able to make one of the early moves and then won easily. Similar to remco in that he's so used to just riding everyone off his wheel he hasn't needed to develop true racing skills.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://twitter.com/tartofs/status/1444924133272395777

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

He's extraordinary but needs some more race smarts imo. Missed a few splits early on and had to pace back, if he'd positioned himself up the front he'd potentially have been able to make one of the early moves and then won easily. Similar to remco in that he's so used to just riding everyone off his wheel he hasn't needed to develop true racing skills.

Nice troll.

Literally everyone is racing according to MvdP and WVA. When they are in your chase group or break, it is your responsibility to force them to do the work because otherwise they are going to destroy you.

Nobody can cover every single attack. You have to guess which one has the best chance to succeed and figure out a way to bridge to it without dragging everyone else behind you.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

TobinHatesYou posted:

Nobody can cover every single attack. You have to guess which one has the best chance to succeed and figure out a way to bridge to it without dragging everyone else behind you.

That's what he's saying: sometimes MvdP bridges without caring that he's dragging everyone along, and he gets beaten at the finish because of it a lot.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Some photos of the big day are coming out.

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/10/gallery-snapshots-of-hell-at-paris-roubaix/

moctopus fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 4, 2021

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Evenepoel winning this random race so hard he forces the entire peloton to give up out of shame

https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/coppa-bernocchi-gp-banco-bpm-2021/elite-men/results/

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Vando posted:

That's what he's saying: sometimes MvdP bridges without caring that he's dragging everyone along, and he gets beaten at the finish because of it a lot.

He said he missed a few splits. You can't cover every split/break, especially when that's literally everyone else's strategy. Initiate break...oh MvdP covered it? Okay we're all going to sit up now and then our teammates will counter.

And he's not mindlessly dragging everyone else along. Every single other team/rider has him marked. If he goes, every team tries to send someone with him. If it's early on, they'll send one of their plan B riders. If it's later, they'll send their plan A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/NairoInGreen/status/1445748602970664967?t=KlK7xuz9eIPyyva8DGbbFw&s=19