Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Endarire posted:

GOG.com has 2.5 available for purchase with 2.6 as a separate patch for BGEE, SoD, and BG2EE.

I found out today that the update only affects the Steam depot and not the previous versions that are offered by the beta tab in Steam. I am using the latter so I should be good. I made a backup just in case. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
I can't believe I read through all 66 pages of this. It's...incredible, to pick one of many words and I've just about forgotten what the original games were about at this point.

Imoen and Isobel's bizarre accent is somehow the besta worst part of this entire experience for me. They speak like someone using pidgen in a James Clavell novel.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter CXLIX - Mmh - you know how to convince me, you teasing sparrow.

On our way back to the Sword Coast and bored out of our minds, guess we'd better explore the area a bit.

Only because we don't have any other choice.

Her being able to crack jokes about being a former sex slave sure is something.

Izzy's friend is also here, safe and sound.

There's nothing else to do belowdecks (or there is and I haven't been able to find it) so let's head upstairs.

Ah, the ocean. :allears:

This dialogue... :suicide:

A small easter egg here, Noober is hanging out in a nearby boat. If you talk to him enough he'll walk off, presumably to drown himself. His dialogue is the same as in Nashkel though so I'll spare you the entire thing.

We talk a bit about our plans going forward but of course Sandrah prefers to let us in the dark.

After the conversation we pitch our tent on the deck and head to bed.

When we awaken Saemon and Shaleij are nowhere to be found.

We use the gangplank to follow Saemon to the island we've encountered.

Bezantur is represented on the map, by the way. While we were there the game still thought we were in Amkethran but now that we've left we're somehow in Bezantur. This makes no sense.

We soon come across a forest with trapped bridges that spawn low level monsters.

A bit further we stumble upon a village, Faenya Dale to be exact.

The map is extremely dark for some reason, let's get to exploring!

What an odd little man.

Hey, it's that lady from Nashkel way back when! What's she doing here? I have no idea.

Enemies still spawn occasionally.

Rude.

Buzz off.

Thank you for letting me know. (We can't even enter this place)

...Is there something in the water?

Moving on to some interior areas.

We finally meet some of the winged folk.

This place is the inn.

...Let's just move on.

We can exit this area to the east.

Much better looking than the village, that's for sure.

We can all see where this is going, right?

...I thought I was ready. I was wrong. :suicide:

Referring to a wedding as your 'final total defeat' is weird to say under any circumstances, let alone next to your bride.

Words cannot express how much I hate this.

The entrance to the temple is blocked.

This wardstone found in the nearby statue allows us to pass though.

A good thing as well because Saemon's in trouble!

Shortly after entering the temple we find the remains of Saemon's crew as well as their assailants: Extremely tough Kua-Toa.

There's a lot of them.

They even manage to kill me, these guys hit hard.

After a couple of tries it's on to the next area.

More Kua-Toa and some yeti to boot.

Golems and 'water weirds'.

Culminating in an honest-to-God water dragon.

...Or was it an aqua dragon?

I couldn't make progress in this area and I couldn't go back, once again the LP was in jeopardy. Since I'm the only person who's made it this far Googling didn't help either.

Turns out there's an invisible Kua-Toa here with a shitload of magic resistance. He doesn't aggro so I was at an impasse.

Casting 'Dragon's Breath' solved the issue though. The LP was saved once again! :shepicide:

Saemon greets us after the hidden Kua-Toa bites it.

Time to head outside.

Ithrash confronts us once again.

The Avariel join in and he flees shortly afterwards.

:respek:

The lovers are reunited and our time in Faenya Dale is coming to an end.

We've seen this particular chapter before, it still sucks.

Next time we'll strike back against the 'Phalanx' so we can end this thing once and for all. Hopefully it won't take too long.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Nov 7, 2021

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I really don't have anything more to say than u g h

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Leraika posted:

I really don't have anything more to say than u g h

Yes, and also blergh.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
...Is that a loving Diablo 2 map?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Poor Joneleth, forced to marry the manic pixie version of Aerie. He complains about his "weary old legs", how old is Jon-bon supposed to be? I realize elves are stupidly long-lived, but wasn't he a brash youngster when Ellesime kicked him out?

anilEhilated posted:

...Is that a loving Diablo 2 map?

Yeah, that's from the jungle chapter. These mods are a real treasure-trove of turn of the millennium era gaming. I'm still amazed someone thought to use the Elder from Fallout 2 as a portrait.

Which reminds me, did anyone ever figure out where those extremely weird portraits for Bruenor and co were from? Did someone make them for these mods?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yet another lovely man is fixed by the magic of fuckin love. What further developments for established characters could we see in future chapters? Maybe we'll settle this whole mess by getting Szass and Cyric some girlfriends.

Also maybe Sandrah should just not touch the subject of slavery because this is offensive to everyone.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also maybe Sandrah should just not touch the subject of slavery because this is offensive to everyone.

"For this opinion, you would be killed in Thay!" is met with "lol, they tried", instead of pointing out that that's the point, Thay is a horrible place. Doesn't vanilla Korgan even comment that he likes killing slavers? And he's not the nicest dude around.

Lysan Lurraxol
Jun 27, 2013
The Diablo map was from Classic Adventures (again), used for the village of Mistmoor. Always felt a bit incongruous but suitable maps were hard to source back in the day. I see Roxanne's also nicked our Myth Drannor maps to stage an abomination....

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
The thought of Jon Irenicus, super angry wannabe deity who has a few grudges, being into the whiniest, most self-pitying character in the Forgotten Realms is pretty amazing. I don’t think I could play BG2 again, but I’m pretty serious where the Irenicus mod goes without this loathsome extra stuff.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
If there's one thing this whole mess has made me certain of, it's that drat it's a shame Classic Adventures never happened, because those maps are gorgeous.

(and Roxanne's flitching of said maps basically makes her the internet equivalent of a cattle rustler)

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Vichan posted:

Referring to a wedding as your 'final total defeat' is weird to say under any circumstances, let alone next to your bride.

That's just a regular straight people thing

Lysan Lurraxol
Jun 27, 2013

Fighting Trousers posted:

If there's one thing this whole mess has made me certain of, it's that drat it's a shame Classic Adventures never happened, because those maps are gorgeous.

(and Roxanne's flitching of said maps basically makes her the internet equivalent of a cattle rustler)

It did sort of happen! About 50-60% got released here http://classicadventuresmod.com/?p=home but unfortunately we lost our coder and the team went their separate ways. There's been some recent activity but I think the chief blocker is it's only available for original BG2 and would need porting over to the Enhanced Edition.

Anyway, sorry to keep banging on about it! I hadn't thought about the mod in years till I saw the maps start showing up in here. I'd weirdly be less annoyed if she'd just tried to finish our mod rather than stripping it for parts.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Please do keep banging on about this!

Unless I've been horribly misreading the tone of this thread, I am pretty sure any elaboration on exactly how bad this mod is, and why, is entirely appropriate.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Please do keep banging on about this!

Unless I've been horribly misreading the tone of this thread, I am pretty sure any elaboration on exactly how bad this mod is, and why, is entirely appropriate.

:hai:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Yes, it's always fun to look behind the curtain (so we don't have to think about how awful the stuff in front of the curtain is).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm curious, has anyone ever publicly confronted Roxanne on her theft of other mods' assets? Has she ever acknowledged or tried to justify it it in any way?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I tuned out a bit during ToB but now we're into this mod specific content I'm back to being interested and horrified.

Definitely keep up the extra mod scene info posts where there's bits to be added!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter CL - Chastity is not on our agenda but we are no temple whores or such.

When last I left you guys we'd just arrived back at Baldur's Gate.

While checking in at the nearest tavern I got ambushed by these guys. No idea why.

Anyway, we were supposed to check out the temple of the Black Hand that we first visited way back in BG1.

...Ugh, what can I say about this area?

First of all, Sandrah's constitution is not impacted in the slightest. She just falls unconscious from time to time.

Second of all, the area is absolutely filled with all kinds of mages.

And then there's a gith mage somewhere on the map that casts timestop every other second.

...I am not a fan of this area.

After a whole lot of frustration I track the gith mage down and the area became much easier.

After killing about 8 of them (there's many more) Sandrah advises that we head for the temple of Bhaal nearby.

While traveling there we run into our old friend Xephistagoras, he doesn't say anything and isn't too hard to take down.

Our way to the temple is clear and we can head inside.

Here we fight brother Hasdar a third and hopefully final time.

Talos materializes after the battle is over.

He exchanges some words with Sandrah only for someone else to butt in.

Sandrah decides to make demands of AO because of course she does, while I wonder how this'll pan out Talos and the Solar teleport away.

That's it for Talos, I suppose.

I decide to head to Beregost so we can get some rest.

We've barely entered the town when we're accosted by this guy.

Saemon and Shaleij again!? Christ...

We'd best head for Athkatla to see what's going on.

Yes, please enlighten us. I can't wait to find out what's wrong this time. :jerkbag:

The poor guy's beside himself, we'd best explore the Shadow Thief hideout.

If you squint you can make out where Missy is.

She's extremely annoying but does provide some clues, back to Saemon.

Don't get my hopes up.

Bah, fine. Back to Brynnlaw it is.

I use Sandrah's parcel to teleport us to the vicinity of Nib's skyship.

While heading over there Leyala and Giran discuss the Clanlands. I can guess where this is going.

Time to head back to the Asylum.

Cayia? Didn't Desharik kill you in front of our eyes?

There's zombies outside, pirate zombies.

Not the toughest of fights.

Let's just head into the asylum.

Laboratory, gotcha.

Lonk the Sane is still here, he runs off to get Desharik.

Some of the cells have enemies, the only resistance in this part of the map.

The next level just has these two flunkies guarding Shaleij, nothing we couldn't handle.

Is there anything Sandrah's hammer can't do?

After this they head upstairs, why can't we just finish our conversation here? :(

I guess that plan is better than nothing.

Ugh, these lizards again. I despise them.

Desharik charges forward and activates the Asylum's defenses like the idiot that he is. We can cross now. :cripes:

In the next area some pirates attack us but they're easy enough to take down.

These guys are called 'Nethlander pirates' and they're hostile to Desharik's men as well as us, no idea why.

After the fight Leyala and Giran take the opportunity to have another fascinating conversation.

Immediately afterwards this screen pops up and we're done. Talk about an anti-climax.

We're barely back in Athkatla and they're at it again.

I try to head back to Saemon but he doesn't have anything to say, neither does Shaleij. What a weird way to end a quest.

I might as well end things here for now, next time we'll get up to more interesting shenanigans.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 7, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
This side quest is insultingly dull but I guess I appreciate being told that the worship of love and hope is just all the aspects of Sandrah that don’t fit under Mystra’s portfolio. Gods forbid it had anything to do with the player character.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter CLI - After the black beauty now comes the white beauty and has overcome my defences.

On our way to Midnight Izzy and Giran get up to more shenanigans. Most of their scenes fade to black by this point, one can guess what happens.

Midnight will know what to do from here, I sure don't.

Are any on you annoyed by the use of the word phalanx? If so I have bad news from you, Roxanne is going to use it more and more.

...Larloch, really? We'd better talk to Sandrah about this.

...I still think this is an extremely stupid idea but it's not like I can refuse, this hasn't been my story since I first left Candlekeep.

My choice of allies aren't much better according to Sandrah, although I might want to give Ellesime a try.

Onward to the city of elves!

Ah, there she is! Who's that standing beside her?

...Wait, what?

Yep, apparently you can get Deheriana in your party here despite the fact that I never installed the Kivan mod. Almost everything about her is bugged to poo poo and the guide (which is written by Roxanne's alt, mind you) mentions that she's unfinished.

That is why we push her aside, the question as to why she's alive will have to remain unanswered just like with Ajantis.

Since the elves were a dud we have no choice but to follow Sandrah's suggestion, we head north from Waterdeep.

And traverse a pretty standard wilderness area.

A good choice for Bodhi's sprite. :)

How nice of Larloch to put up a sign.

Once Sandrah confirms that we're heading in the right direction we can head east.

As I said, pretty nondescript.

We have arrived, it seems.

These guys have an ungodly amount of HP and a lot of damage resistance to boot. Extremely annoying. Good thing there's only a few of them here.

Some of the houses can be entered.

:haibrow:

:cripes:

Most of the fights around here aren't too bad.

This house is the one we need, the lower door is locked so we have to use the upstairs entrance.

A mill, huh? Guess what's here?

The millstone, I guess...?

Throwing the millstone causes a fight later on, I chose to avoid it because I just can't be bothered anymore at this point. It was probably another dragon.

The downstairs door is now open to us so we can continue.

Nothing on the first floor besides some enemies we already fought.

The imp tries to fight us, poor little thing.

I'm not sure I'm ready for this... :shepicide:

I can't imagine how much worse this is if you're well-versed in Forgotten Realms lore.

Don't mind me, you just keep talking.

...Wait, that worked? Nothing about this feels right.

...Let's just head back before I lose my mind completely.

Drizzt greets us as soon as we're back in Waterdeep.

Kelemvor will see us? If we could convince Larloch...

Our course is set.

Firewine feels like a lifetime ago.

Is there anything better than wiping the floor with low level mobs? :black101:

:eyepop:

...Thanks, I guess?

The entrance is a bit hidden. In BG1 this would've led to a hidden dungeon that I completely skipped over. (hence the part about the scroll)

Now it leads to...

More zombies. Tougher than the ones above.

We go downstairs from here.

This area is a pain to navigate.

A lot of old enemies are waiting for us here, Tazok being the first.

The blacktalon elites accompanying him put up more of a fight than the man himself.

Next up is Firkraag.

Harder than Tazok but still easy.

Put it next to the others.

Most of the enemies here correspond to something we fought before.

Vennegrat is also here, he doesn't have anything to say though.

Bugs, bugs, bugs.

Since we saved Sarevok's soul we don't have to fight him here, instead he'll actually help us on this floor.

After a while I finally find the exit to this place, guarded by a priestess of Shar. The holy symbol might come in handy later.

A map of the area. Let's move on.

Roxanne loves her Planescape: Torment areas.

Heya, Bodhi. Still up to your old tricks?

They never learn, do they?

Bye-bye.

Roxanne's guide calls this place the 'crazy girls' level. I understand why.

Figures that the only choices I'm allowed to make have already been made offscreen...

Sendai teleports off after taking a bit of damage.

A bit later she re-materializes and promptly dies.

We head downstairs to the next level. (I forgot to make a map of the area)

What kind of monster do we face now!?

Oh, it's Kelemvor!

By all means keep talking, I don't feel like adding anything anyway. This is Sandrah's story after all.

That portrait is actually Kelemvor, it's from Neverwinter Nights 2.

From his sanctum we take a shortcut back to the beginning and leave the fugue plane.

Next time we'll pay a quick visit to Morbryn's Shield and from there we'll travel to Wheloon to face off against Shar.

I have a bad feeling about this.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 7, 2021

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Vichan posted:

I have a bad feeling about this.

It is Sandrah Saga after all :razz:

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

These are the sewers from Diablo II act 2, presumably stolen from the same mod as the Kurast maps.

Caros
May 14, 2008

I do wish I could find a quote of it online, but there is an old forgotten realms book that depicts both tam and larloch.

Rather than coming across as a slapstick lunatic, Larloch is a dust covered corpse animated only when he feels like it, one who Tam (despite being one of the strongest wizards in the realms) is loving terrified of, despite the fact that he is there on good terms to trade.

Larloch is actually a really interesting character in lore. This... This just hurts.

For context, one of the better larloch stories was him getting a little bored and releasing a few hundred liches from his command. They showed up at Myth Dranor as started wrecking up the joint until they were finally stopped by a divine act of mystra herself when she helped the knights create a big clockwork army to defend the city.

Then Larloch showed up, said basically 'my bad, I was curious what they'd do, but I didn't think they'd be dumb enough to pick a fight with mystra'.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Caros posted:

Then Larloch showed up, said basically 'my bad, I was curious what they'd do, but I didn't think they'd be dumb enough to pick a fight with mystra'.

Wizards, huh

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

So, uh, how often are you getting dialogue options to actually, you know, say things?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hello I Am Kelemvor, The God Who Hates Liches And Never Picks A Side

"Their side has liches."

I Have Picked A Side

"Cool, let's go recruit that lich we were just hanging with."

*Time for a coda about how much of a fuckin genius negotiator Sandrah is*

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 9, 2021

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

On the plus side, the gratuitous sex seems to have stopped. Besta 2.0 and orc boy fade to black and everyone else seems to have taken cold showers.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Black Robe posted:

On the plus side, the gratuitous sex seems to have stopped. Besta 2.0 and orc boy fade to black and everyone else seems to have taken cold showers.

In some weird way I would've preferred the old Sandrah. At least it would've been more entertaining in a ":eyepop:" kind of way.

A family illness has kind of put a damper on my general mood so I've been a bit slow when it comes to editing screenshots which is the most time-consuming part of this entire thing. I'm probably going to end up finishing Return to Faerun while having a couple chapters' worth of screenshots that I still have to edit. We're reaching the end of Sandrah Saga in the not too distant future regardless, from what I've gathered Time of Troubles Revisited is mercifully short.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter CLII - Where there is love and hope, darkness has already lost the fight.

We're back in Morbryn's Shield, soon to be home to a temple of ME! :smuggo:

The town is filled with people now, although some people have recycled dialogue as you can see.

These two seem to think that we're in Waterdeep.

We're never coming back here, Sandrah's keeping the hammer.

I forgot how many fat jokes this game has.

Bummer, I really wanted to be in the spotlight for once... :smith:

Time to exit southeast, which'll take us straight to Wheloon in Cormyr.

They seem to be having their own issues.

Just wait until you see her favorite healing method.

Best follow her inside.

Easy enough.

:hai:

This seems extremely implausible. Let's just move on.

I do some more exploring, both exteriors and interiors.

The only combat here is this doppelganger in one of the houses, I don't know why he's here.

Slumming, are we?

Only building left to explore is this one.

Just some regular devotees of Mystra, nothing to see here.

That's it for Wheloon, just some buildings along a bridge. Not the worst town I've explored. We exit this place to the east.

We arrive at the temple of Mystra and right away something is amiss.

Time to head inside.

What could this mean?

Everything seems to be in order.

There's even some friendly panthers and leopards for Pelligram to play around with!

Oh dear, is something bad going to happen? :ohdear:

Green abishai, what will they think of next?

There's another one of those scrolls, we found the first one in Szass Tam's tower. This'll be relevant later.

That's pretty much it for this area.

We use the Shar symbol we found on the priestess in the Fugue Plane which gains us access to the next area.

We interrupt some sort of ritual.

He prays to Shar for aid but she smites him without a second thought.

The clergy are hostile on this level.

Aside from some combat there's nothing to say about this area, from where we are on the map we head northwest to...

Wait, a trap? :saddowns:

I'd take offense but let's be honest...

:shepicide:

We wail on Larloch for a bit while Shar just stands there. The screenshot sums it up, basically.

After a while the screen shakes, Shar and Larloch teleport away and we fade to black.

Our cartoon villains seem to have succeeded, which means...

Sandrah is gone, but Pelligram comforts us.

All seems lost... :negative:

Vichan fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Nov 7, 2021

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

finally

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I don't get why Shar is described as an evil goddess, she just got rid of the greatest evil of all! (Until Sandrah comes back and it turns out it was all her plan and pwns Shar because Roxxane wouldn't have it any other way).

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I don't get why Shar is described as an evil goddess, she just got rid of the greatest evil of all! (Until Sandrah comes back and it turns out it was all her plan and pwns Shar because Roxxane wouldn't have it any other way).

:imunfunny:

LP-relevant stuff that I'll spoiler just in case:

I've finished Return to Faerun but ran into an issue that might prevent me from continuing to Time of Troubles Revisited, I hope I'll be able to think of a fix in the coming week.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 12, 2021

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

at last

We're free! We're finally free!

Quick, run as far away as possible before the 'plot' catches up again!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I appreciate the amount of fanfare surrounding Sandrah's death (absolutely none). It is as it should be.

I can't say I trusted this Larloch guy but he sure is earning his keep.

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011

She'd probably try to retcon it like she did with her escape at the end of SoD. Or worse.

Thunderclan
Dec 24, 2013

Honestly would not be surprised at all at this point if it turns out that Sandrah sleeps with Shar and turns her good...no way that something stupid won't happen to ruin this joyous moment of Vichan's freedom.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

(Until Sandrah comes back and it turns out it was all her plan and pwns Shar because Roxxane wouldn't have it any other way).

Sandrah died for your sins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Sandrah died for your sins.

Guess I'll keep on with the sinning.