Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Alkydere posted:

Which step is the horny for Sylvanas added? Lead devs? Smaller writers? Both?

Lead dev wakes up, Sylvanas is instantly added.
Story writer weeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

ErrEff posted:

I can see how such a process resulted in the deep and well-developed villain named “THE JAILER”.

dunno why they didn't use "the Warden" which means mostly the same but sounds better. unless they already used Warden at some point

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Sad thing is, they actually gave him a name. Just, no one gives a poo poo.

Same way we still have no idea what he wants, what he's doing, or why he's doing any of it despite being surrounded by NPCs who know all these things. They're just not telling us and we don't have the option to ask. Because it's a ~mystery~.

CapnAndy posted:

Things we don't know:
  • Specifics of the plan that Sylvanas has been executing for three expansions now
  • Her motivations for doing so
  • Incredibly important facets of the villain's backstory -- we know he was the original Arbiter and was kicked out of the job and sent to turbohell, but not why
  • Anything about the inciting incident that hosed up the afterlife (something caused the replacement Arbiter to blue-screen and start sending all souls to turbohell instead of sorting them)
  • Specifics of the villain's plan
  • His motivations for doing so
  • Why the villain is doing literally anything he's done this entire expansion
  • What he hopes to gain by each action; or rephrased, the consequences if we fail to stop him
  • How exactly the Nathrezim (an entire race of demons that it turns out were long-term sleeper agents of the villain) come into this
  • How exactly Arthas comes into this (we only know he does because Frostmourne showed up for a second in a flashback cutscene)

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 1, 2021

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

SpiritOfLenin posted:

dunno why they didn't use "the Warden" which means mostly the same but sounds better. unless they already used Warden at some point

They have. Maiev's WC3 class was Warden and she and the other night elf wardens featured fairly prominently in Legion.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

SpiritOfLenin posted:

can't have a jailer named the warden because the wardens were illidan's jailers

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Warden is the name of blizzard’s anti-cheat program, so sending players to defeat it would be pretty funny.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Kith posted:

Jury trial demanded. You could say they're in... a blizzard of poo poo. :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56G4c9FEvZQ

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

i think if one has already used Warden as a title, then you either don't do a big jail plot thing, or you think of a better name than "jailor" for the headhoncho

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Shoulda named him spooky cop.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Dick Burglar posted:

They have. Maiev's WC3 class was Warden and she and the other night elf wardens featured fairly prominently in Legion.

Wardens own

I love their aesthetic

armoured ladies with huge loving chakrams

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Alkydere posted:

Which step is the horny for Sylvanas added? Lead devs? Smaller writers? Both?

A combination between Chris Metzen's original "all women are built like supermodels and wear either bikinis or skintight outfits" aesthetic, no one at Blizzard in a position of authority having a problem with that aesthetic, and fanbase inertia.

People threw a fit when they added a goddamned leather corset to her ingame model because it covered her midriff.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
A corset that was added when her predecessor got stabbed in the gut.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

SpiritOfLenin posted:

i think if one has already used Warden as a title, then you either don't do a big jail plot thing, or you think of a better name than "jailor" for the headhoncho
Steal from FFXIV stealing from GoT imo, has the added benefit of a bunch of people pronounce gaoler wrong.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

OW was the almost perfect game to get people who don't play FPS into a loosely shootery genre. That level of approachability is also totally anathema to forcing a game into being a top-end esport
I'm hardly an expert on FPSes, much less competitive FPSes, but I think this has a lot to do with it. Low floor to entry, relatively low ceiling.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Strategic Tea posted:

This was absolutely a thing back in Wrath - almost got one but never did!

Looks like they're still going - https://squip.com/product/wow/

Boy, 3D printing has sure come a long way since they first started, because I have an original FigurePrint, and, uh:

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Cyster posted:

Boy, 3D printing has sure come a long way since they first started, because I have an original FigurePrint, and, uh:

I remember these, I had a friend who bought one for each of his SEVENTEEN CHARACTERS.
The wait time was atrocious.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Its crazy watching LinkedIn blizzard posts of employees putting in their notice.

Its like at least one a day now.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
The Jailer is one of the most uninspired character designs Ive seen in a while. So he looks like a spooky vampire with pointless armor on his upper chest, and heck lets add some ratty looking pants too?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

DreadUnknown posted:

The Jailer is one of the most uninspired character designs Ive seen in a while. So he looks like a spooky vampire with pointless armor on his upper chest, and heck lets add some ratty looking pants too?

He straight-up gets budget Thanos armor at the finale of the current raid, too

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Regalingualius posted:

He straight-up gets budget Thanos armor at the finale of the current raid, too

well he is 100% just budget Thanos, so this tracks

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

The Gadfly posted:

I think people need to stop anthropomorpizing companies. Don't get so attached or loyal to them. Great games are made because a group of specific developers worked at the same company in the same time period. It's these developers that people should respect for solely their game-making ability, not the overall behemoth of a company.

It's disgusting when I see people reminiscing about Blizzard like it was an ex.

In the case of Blizzard and other devs/companies that had similar origins, I think the issue is that a lot of people became fans back when they were still a small developer. Back in the 90s, the two Blizzard studios probably had like 50 people at most, and were owned (or at least Blizzard North was owned) by Davidson & Asssociates, which was a relatively small publisher founded by a husband-and-wife. Games like Warcraft and Diablo got super popular, but when you read about the development process for those games, you get the impression that they were just working on a passion project, and weren't any different from the people who played the games.

I think part of the issue stems from the companies getting bigger, or being acquired by larger companies, and how that affects the direction of the company. There's a term called tone at the top, where the behavior and practices of the people in charge trickles down to the employees below. I'm not saying the behavior of the Blizzard employees that's come to light can be shifted their superiors (things like BlizzCon probably led to devs developing a rockstar persona, which affected their egos), but the direction of Blizzard in regards to how they handled their games and treated their customers is most likely a result of being acquired by Activision. When you have someone like Bobby Kotick helming your company, where his underlings want to please him, and their underlings want to please them, it twists things where the company is no longer a group of devs working on a passion project, but instead another corporate monolith where all that matters is getting a product out quickly and cheaply for maximum profit.

So what happens is that a lot of the devs who were responsible for making those games back in the early days either jump ship or are dismissed, because they clash with what the company's aim. Nowadays, there's probably a lot more transparency about studios or devs leaving a project, but I imagine back in the early 2000s, most people weren't aware that Blizzard North closed shop when the lead devs left, and the rest of studio was either fired or folded into the main Blizzard studio.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The devs of Mechwarrior Online have decided to throw their hat in the ring and gave someone a 48 hour suspension for starting every game by saying "trans rights"

https://twitter.com/daalpacagirl/st...ingawful.com%2F

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

SirSamVimes posted:

The devs of Mechwarrior Online have decided to throw their hat in the ring and gave someone a 48 hour suspension for starting every game by saying "trans rights"

Oh come on, I just started playing again. :(

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Itzena posted:

Lead devs write the story then hand it over to the writers and go "this is the plot, polish it up for us"

I was speaking more to the "lusts after undead elflady" thing Steve's got going on. Is he the lead dev now?

Dogwood Fleet posted:

A corset that was added when her predecessor got stabbed in the gut.

Who was sylvanas' predecessor? iirc shes lead the forsaken since day 1? unless this is some out-of-game novel only bullshit. I don't follow wow lore at all beyond blue and red dudes hate each other and try to kill each other even when it would be beneficial for the sides to cooperate because war in warcraft.

SirSamVimes posted:

:pgi:

no way this could go badly "political statements don't belong in videogames" from PGI, meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/ANX_Suffy/status/1444395031125704706

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 3, 2021

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

orange juche posted:

I was speaking more to the "lusts after undead elflady" thing Steve's got going on. Is he the lead dev now?

Who was sylvanas' predecessor? iirc shes lead the forsaken since day 1? unless this is some out-of-game novel only bullshit. I don't follow wow lore at all beyond blue and red dudes hate each other and try to kill each other even when it would be beneficial for the sides to cooperate because war in warcraft.

:pgi:

no way this could go badly

Vol'jin was warchief before Sylvanas and died of a gut stab is the joke I think. When she got the warchief promotion is also when they redid her model and added a corset.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Zore posted:

Vol'jin was warchief before Sylvanas and died of a gut stab is the joke I think. When she got the warchief promotion is also when they redid her model and added a corset.

Ah yeah the guy who led the horde for like 30 mins before lunch and died in a cutscene. they did vol'jin dirty.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

orange juche posted:

no way this could go badly "political statements don't belong in videogames" from PGI, meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/ANX_Suffy/status/1444395031125704706
Oh no we couldn't possibly monitor and enforce rules against all the racists, sexists, fascists, nazis, -phobes and other bileful harassers, that's utterly impossible. Nope. Can't do a thing. Wait someone said a minority deserves rights?! BAN!!! BAN!!! BAN!!!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Poil posted:

Oh no we couldn't possibly monitor and enforce rules against all the racists, sexists, fascists, nazis, -phobes and other bileful harassers, that's utterly impossible. Nope. Can't do a thing. Wait someone said a minority deserves rights?! BAN!!! BAN!!! BAN!!!

It's because gamers by and large are scum. There's a few bright spots, a few good communities in existence, but by and large they're still the same poo poo-ape morons dropping the hard R while spraying cheeto dust on xbox microphones. Game devs originate from this primordial cheeto soup, and they carry their prejudices with them. They dress it up and put out the pride flag for pride month as the corporate world demands in order to avoid getting backlash, but they don't actually believe it, much like most of the corporate world, they just make the moves to get the money. It is a cynical opinion, but it's better to be a cynic than naïve.

Unless a game dev studio is making conscious, visible steps to increase diversity, and actually makes those diverse members of the team feel valued, assume they're the same shitapes from xbox live.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 4, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

orange juche posted:

It's because gamers by and large are scum. There's a few bright spots, a few good communities in existence, but by and large they're still the same poo poo-ape morons dropping the hard R while spraying cheeto dust on xbox microphones. Game devs originate from this primordial cheeto soup, and they carry their prejudices with them. They dress it up and put out the pride flag for pride month as the corporate world demands in order to avoid getting backlash, but they don't actually believe it, much like most of the corporate world, they just make the moves to get the money. It is a cynical opinion, but it's better to be a cynic than naïve.

Unless a game dev studio is making conscious, visible steps to increase diversity, and actually makes those diverse members of the team feel valued, assume they're the same shitapes from xbox live.
i dont think this is really true on any level lol but it sure is a great exercise in making yourself feel better than some imagined person who doesnt actually exist

the vast majority of people are just people.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Gamers are decent, hardworking folk who just want to come home after a hard day of work and unwind by typing vile poo poo into Twitch chat or Discord.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Endorph posted:

i dont think this is really true on any level lol but it sure is a great exercise in making yourself feel better than some imagined person who doesnt actually exist

the vast majority of people are just people.

A lot of supposed good dev studios have revealed themselves to be godawful or have godawful people working for them. I also spent the last week playing new world because i'm a sucker for bad games and god drat if it didn't feel like early 2000s Gamer internet, racism, homophobic jokes, racist jokes, slurs of all kinds. Capital G Gamers haven't changed, decent people just selected out from interacting with the primordial cheeto scum. Don't really know the fix for that other than avoid most online games, especially ones with proximity voip.

I got spoiled playing FFXIV because the community there is by and large quite positive, so it was quite the wake up call!

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 4, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what is it with you and cheetos

also ff14's community is like that because they ban the bad actors. because surprisingly the bad actors are so few that you can ban them with just human moderation. the issue with new world's community isnt that GAMERS ARE SCUM its that amazon doesnt care about banning the few hundred guys spamming slurs in chat and the other thousands of people dont want to waste their time arguing with them. idk how that ratio breaks down into the majority of them being scum

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Don't worry, if you scratch the surface of the FF14 population the bad comes oozing out just like anywhere else. It's just better behaved in public.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Gamers and game devs are both terms that are so broad as to be literally meaningless at this point. Gamers by and large seem to just reflect people in general, many of whom suck and have horrible views, doubly so when they feel that they're anonymous, and game devs really seem to vary depending upon who they work for and when they were hired and a bunch of other factors.

really it sounds like you're just playing some lovely soulless amazon game and are surprised that you ended up in some lovely soulless amazon game

Endorph posted:

what is it with you and cheetos

only the freshest jokes from 2010 SA lol

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Gamers are decent, hardworking folk who just want to come home after a hard day of work and unwind by typing vile poo poo into Twitch chat or Discord.

lmao

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

orange juche posted:

Pretty much. The gaming audience has expanded and diversified a lot, but the core Gamers who drive the communities of big budget AAA games, like those Activision Blizzard specializes in, were largely scum a decade ago and are still scum now.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

orange juche posted:

People who are aggressive and unpleasant to interact with seek out unmoderated spaces. So any space without the ability to kick out poo poo stirrers will naturally gravitate towards unpleasant usually racist/homophobic/etc people. Problem is most online games are essentially unmoderated even for things like blatant hacking (see recent Battlefield beta). So regardless of devs morality you're gonna end up with a lovely place out of laziness.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

man I need a hobby that isn't playing bad videogames or bad posting on SA.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

E: wrong thread (mech warrior walking back their bans on trans stuff)

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 4, 2021

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

At least they're doing something. Blizzard probably wouldn't have acknowledged moderation decisions or reversal of same, especially as quickly as was done for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Eej posted:

Don't worry, if you scratch the surface of the FF14 population the bad comes oozing out just like anywhere else. It's just better behaved in public.

My experience with ffxiv is only with a few months after launch, but yeah, there were just as many dicks per capita than any other game. Maybe they cultivated the community better since then, idk