Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

:hellyeah:

im gonna keep using mine until it dies or until apple releases an arm macbook pro that can drive two 4k monitors simultaneously

i guarantee that is on the next release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Shaggar posted:

its an app specific thing where they add a bunch of stupid gesture based interactions (cause buttons are evil) which take effect the second you stop scrolling

I do somewhat miss the UI wild west of early-ish iOS. I guess I’m mainly thinking of the gesture driven Clear app, which I thought died. Looks like it is still on the App Store but hasn’t been updated in nearly 3 years. Mobile UI standards have really solidified. Gestures besides the few that everyone uses are pretty undiscoverable so I’m not surprised they died out, though.

I’m going to feel bad about the M1X blowing my 2019 16 inch out of the water. The M1 is already better than 8 core Intel chip, but the AMD GPU has moderate lead. An M1X with 16/32 GPU “cores” will mean the only “advantage” of my Intel MBP is I can boot into Windows to play some windows only Indie games. Oh and potentially drive more external monitors and eGPU support (not that you can get GPUs right now anyway)

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
where’s the mac pro mini

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FamDav posted:

where’s the mac pro mini

if they did a thing where they sold a mac mini but also sold a 6u rack chassis that you could slot 8 minis into vertically, blade server style, i'd probably be writing a check for 15k or whatever

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Jonny 290 posted:

if they did a thing where they sold a mac mini but also sold a 6u rack chassis that you could slot 8 minis into vertically, blade server style, i'd probably be writing a check for 15k or whatever

doesn’t someone make that aftermarket

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
idk if anyone actually sells it but a few companies have made them.

i recommend just renting from macstadium if you can

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kitten emergency posted:

doesn’t someone make that aftermarket

https://www.sonnettech.com/product/rackmacmini.html

it’s not quite what he wants though, with thunderbolt you should be able to have a real backplane.

what does apple themselves use for build servers?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
we didn’t get access to the beta but I’ve seen things on Twitter that say that Xcode cloud builders aren’t running on apple hardware

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

i mean i guess youd miss out on whatever satisfying magnetic click apple would arrange but especially these days that seems pretty easy to set up

especially since i'm assuming the new minis aint gonna run as hot as the intels

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Jonny 290 posted:

the idle power consumption would be still be under 60w

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

how much would you pay for the computers to go inside your rack then?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Perplx posted:

the idle power consumption would be still be under 60w

the idle power consumption of the 2009 mac mini was often 10 watts which blew my goddamned mind at the time

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Plorkyeran posted:

we didn’t get access to the beta but I’ve seen things on Twitter that say that Xcode cloud builders aren’t running on apple hardware

the requirements to run apple operating systems on apple machines only applies to those outside apple, so it would make sense for them to do that. hell, it could just be turning their internal CI they been using into a product.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah no law says the xcode cloud backend has to have anything in common with xcode the desktop tool

although it would be weird if they ever offered to package it up for private instances and then said "btw you can't actually run this on macs"

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jonny 290 posted:

https://www.myelectronics.nl/us/mac-mini-19-inch-rack-mount/

Two macs every U, everything is passive so no need for special drivers too.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

release the apple watch timb. my fatass needs to be nudged to be active.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i'm gonna take a stab in the dark and guess that their real world tests showed they weren't necessary

chip design and test timelines are long, feature freeze happens at minimum 1 year before end users can buy things. doubtful apple's had enough time to turn feedback from real-world m1 usage metrics into changes in anything shipping this fall

tbh, the 8+2 rumor is just weird. with this year's a15, apple has now put four E cores in six consecutive generations of iphone chip. E cores are small, so it's NBD to have 4, and if anything you'd think macs might need more than iphones since there's so much more random background bullshit running on macOS

this rumor isn't a hot new leak, btw, it's been swirling round the clickbait toilet bowl for months

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

refleks posted:

release the apple watch timb. my fatass needs to be nudged to be active.

same but i think im gonna get a 6 since its the same drat chip

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

oh the stupid watchOS updated on my series 3 without needing to format the entire thing

marvelous

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

oh the stupid watchOS updated on my series 3 without needing to format the entire thing

marvelous

i had to format mine because the stupid watch downloaded 1 gigabyte of podcasts to itself for no conceivable reason, but otherwise yeah this was fixed sometime 7.x

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/10/04/apple-watch-series-7-pre-orders/

preorder oct 8, ships oct 15

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

looking slim, nice

this thing still works fine so no need to upgrade my messenger, weather and music notifier wrist device

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im underwhelmed by features, in particular as i highly desire improvements to sleep tracking, and the design feels stale (id love a round watch), so ill sit this one out. s3 should last me another year

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i was threatening to get the 7 if it had new sensors but its just a facelift, gonna keep wailing on this 6 for another year. give us the bp numbers timb

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

thank you for listening timb. i will buy your product

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah i was threatening to get the 7 if it had new sensors but its just a facelift, gonna keep wailing on this 6 for another year. give us the bp numbers timb

:same:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im underwhelmed by features, in particular as i highly desire improvements to sleep tracking, and the design feels stale (id love a round watch), so ill sit this one out. s3 should last me another year

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
NGL i'd be very entertained by a 16:9 apple watch

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I want a no screen just sensors watch because I want the finess tracking but also want to keep wearing my carefully curated collection of fine japanese quartz watches

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

qirex posted:

I want a no screen just sensors watch because I want the finess tracking but also want to keep wearing my carefully curated collection of fine japanese quartz watches

aren’t there a few options for that now

Jonny 290 posted:

NGL i'd be very entertained by a 16:9 apple watch

i want a long wrist computer it’s 2022 already

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mediaphage posted:

aren’t there a few options for that now
not from apple and every other health informatics company is like "yeah we're super going to sell your data to your insurance provider"

if you mean those things were you clumsily voltron 2 watches together on little strap nubs then no thanks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

I would also be very into this tbh.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i just read the wind speed chat from ages ago so not reading anymore i am posting this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpcAd__qHP0

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

qirex posted:

not from apple and every other health informatics company is like "yeah we're super going to sell your data to your insurance provider"

if you mean those things were you clumsily voltron 2 watches together on little strap nubs then no thanks

what sensors are you wanting exactly though. heart rate? your phone can already do steps, say

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mediaphage posted:

what sensors are you wanting exactly though. heart rate? your phone can already do steps, say

heart rate and apple requires a watch to unlock most of the fitness stuff on the phone like walk/run tracking, etc.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

qirex posted:

heart rate and apple requires a watch to unlock most of the fitness stuff on the phone like walk/run tracking, etc.

fitness app does step tracking without a watch

the only watch i ever had was an adidas fitbit and that paired so poorly with an iphone, i couldn't respond to texts

i get why apple has a security policy about third-party watches but it makes them unusable

i really only wanted the fitness part but it was so frustrating

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I know it does step tracking. what it doesn't do is track where, how far and how fast you went without a super privacy invading third party app or an apple watch. it's just lovely tim gatekeeping

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

qirex posted:

very this, something unassuming to sit on my other writst while I wear an actual watch. Of course no one will see you fiddling with your cool apple wrist screen this way, sorry no can do.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
theres no place to carry a phone when youre wearing workout shorts and a tshirt on a walk or jog. i dont want 11 ounces of giant phone flopping around and racking my nuts every step

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

lmao if you have nuts in the first place like serious lmao

how do u even wake up in the morning??