Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PIZZA.BAT)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ive never been able to get high from math

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
two can play at this game

https://twitter.com/Sniepre/status/1444808353025167364?s=20

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

someone make COMPUTER HATER’S a gang tag

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

is this one mary kate or ashley

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

mediaphage posted:

is this one mary kate or ashley

whichever one dated elon musk

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

grimey musk is a modern-day josie mansfield

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Grimey's fashions style should be called 'heavily modded Skyrim'

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

axolotl farmer posted:

Grimey's fashions style should be called 'aliexpress drunk-buy'

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

axolotl farmer posted:

Grimey's fashions style should be called 'heavily modded Skyrim'

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I feel like was all just glossed over the fact that groims has an idea for a “gaming based economy” and didn’t properly :lol: at it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I feel like was all just glossed over the fact that groims has an idea for a “gaming based economy” and didn’t properly :lol: at it

no-one read it except you lmao you idiot

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

well if you’d have read it we could have :lol:ed together but

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

me, abandoning my wife to go take last place in my F1 2021 league: “I’m supporting the economyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

claire getting support from good ol' lights, the woman so wrapped up in her ~*brand*~ that she legally changed her name to sue an existing, signed, band into giving her their name

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Chris Knight posted:

claire getting support from good ol' lights, the woman so wrapped up in her ~*brand*~ that she legally changed her name to sue an existing, signed, band into giving her their name

did she succeed?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

did she succeed?

looks like it, though it's unclear if the band changed its name or just let her use the name as well.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

grimey reading cory doctorow and getting the wrong message from for the win lol

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Chris Knight posted:

of course lol

i saw lights live as an opening act several years ago and she is extremely tepid momrock

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/thatlittledemon/status/1444950622361554947?s=21

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

:yeah:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

she’s a known dummy so that hardly registered with me.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Irving the blobbed head kid keeps getting a raw deal.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

no-one read it except you lmao you idiot
no i also read it (because i, too, am an idiot) and i had a good lol about the concept of crypto and gaming somehow powering a "radical(?) decentralized(???) ubi"

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

'gold farming but the gold is bitcoins' is exactly what i'd expect from someone that was a friend of musky

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shifty gimbal posted:

Xenogears map extractor:
https://www.xenogearsmapviewer.com/Post?onPage=50&page=1

These look incredible for PS1. They baked all of the shadows right into the textures.

zoomed on a corner of that last one to appreciate the use of every dang texel.

the only game from this era that actually deserves a remake. extremely underrated

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

graph posted:

the only game from this era that actually deserves a remake. extremely underrated

they'd have to invent half the game though, the hour of scrolling text filling in (like 40% of) the story they didn't have time to make would fly even worse today. it was extremely good though, so maybe that would be worth doing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

i have fond memories of that weird ps1 texture thing - it was loving cool - it was like the texture was constantly moving and being weird but the pixel aesthetic was nice in its crudeness

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Vintersorg posted:

i have fond memories of that weird ps1 texture thing - it was loving cool - it was like the texture was constantly moving and being weird but the pixel aesthetic was nice in its crudeness
as i understand it that basically happened to conserve processing power

the reason i know this is because fx fighter on the pc had a setting ("perspective-correct texturing" or summat) that when disabled improved performance, but resulted in the same phenomenon of textures warping whenever a polygon shifted position in respect to the camera

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its because of the non-floating point precision applied to textures, causing them to move around depending on :math:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8f7tMh0uT8&t=213s

it gave Soul Reaver 1 a very eery feeling and i think helped cement it as one of my most beloved games. the voice acting just elevated it even further. but it gave the creepy world life.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Its because of the non-floating point precision applied to textures, causing them to move around depending on :math:

the ps1's rasterizer not implementing the perspective calculation at all did not help either

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxRpZGQnXcI

lmao Trent getting denied like Worf on a bad day

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Former PS1 programmer here: It's because perspective correct texture maps involve a divide operation per-pixel, which was too expensive for PS1 hardware at the time. To reduce the "texture swimming" effect, you had to break a larger polygon up into smaller ones and remap the UVs, which was expensive, but nowhere near as expensive as full perspective correct textures.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I thought it was that the PS1 used affine mapping, where each polygon has the texture linearly interpolated across its surface instead of using a perspective calculation. So the textures are broadly perspective correct across the scene, but each individual polygon is wrong.

Is that basically what you're talking about but on a pixel level?

Also the drawing on the Wikipedia affine mapping page is wrong.

E: huh, how about that, they changed it and now it's correct. I complained about it before in the Wikipedia thread here, so maybe that dragonflysixtyseven buzzkill is good for something

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 4, 2021

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
wikipedia also uses a screenshot of some Free doom clone rather than doom itself, which I had to squint at for a long time

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

it was because sony sux poo poo op HTH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

haveblue posted:

wikipedia also uses a screenshot of some Free doom clone rather than doom itself, which I had to squint at for a long time

Lol it is. Who is that guy