Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

does synology have anything that can make use of 10GbE yet? I haven't looked into this at all but I've seen folks build NAS' with NVMe drives and 10Gb Ethernet cards and I was wondering how fast those things can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yep the big bois have a pcie slot and you can throw a 10gig card in no problemo

and thats with platters i think

e: fun topic i'm actually migrating most of my dockers off my synology because i need to justify runnin this fuckin separate server i set up. so now all my poo poo's on the skylake box and it talks smb to the nas for all its file dumps

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 3, 2021

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I'll check out synology then. Thanks folks. :tipshat:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yep yep. here's the next-year update of mine

https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/DS920+

you get 4 bays, 2 ssd cache slots, and it comes with 4g standard in a SODIMM slot, with a second one free. i bought one $29 8gb sodimm to bump it to 12 gigs ram total. love my little archive box

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
50a linear? i wanna know how much that power supply warms up the place when its loaded

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Base Emitter posted:

50a linear? i wanna know how much that power supply warms up the place when its loaded

they're almost exactly 50% efficient soooooo at full honk it's a space heater on low. but still not a fan on it lol

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

so now all my poo poo's on the skylake box and it talks smb to the nas for all its file dumps

fwiw i went with nfs and so far it's worked real well, e.g. my rpi k8s cluster can use the nfs mounts as persistent volumes

and i assume it's running in kernel mode so probably real efficient, which per above is pretty much the main concern on account of the underpowered cpu on the ds413

but that said it probably doesn't work with windows so that probably overrides everything i said if thats a factor

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i wont gently caress with nfs because i dont understand the uid/gid mapping and the numbers are different on both sides and i just don't want to gently caress with it but also won't use squash

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Can they do client backups? (In the real sense, not just file sync)

What about running the crash plan client?

I've been through WHS and now WSSE and this thing is going to be EoL in a bit and Essentials isn't a thing anymore.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm not sure what you mean actually

in 2021 people that insist on crashplan are running a small windows VM (which the + synology boxes can do, albeit gruntingly). people seem to hate crashplan these days
syno supports any sort of smb/nfs file copying out of the box and rsync as well.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm not sure what you mean actually

in 2021 people that insist on crashplan are running a small windows VM (which the + synology boxes can do, albeit gruntingly). people seem to hate crashplan these days
syno supports any sort of smb/nfs file copying out of the box and rsync as well.

2 things. Crashplan client is one. I'm on them because up until last week that had unlimited retention of deleted files and previous file versions - now I'm on them because of sunk cost fallacy reasons related to uploads.

I have a bunch of PCs in my house that I want to backup. With WHS (or Server Essentials) this is stupid easy. They wake up nightly and do differential backups (that are deduped on the server). If a machine ever dies, you just boot to a restore thing and hit a button and it's all back how you left it. I was just wondering if anyone had experience doing something like that with synology. I'm guessing that it would take buying something (Veem?).

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Ah, gotcha. Yeah i'm basically slumming it on my setup - the macs do backup via time machine target, but i have boring rsync set up on my linux and windows boxes so i'm not really that keyed in. that being said the syno community is large enough there's a much larger selection of plugins and addons that may fit your needs than about any other brand barring like dell poweredge dorks that live with a house full of screaming 60mm fans in a bunch of ebay deal 1u's

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Jonny 290 posted:

Ah, gotcha. Yeah i'm basically slumming it on my setup - the macs do backup via time machine target, but i have boring rsync set up on my linux and windows boxes so i'm not really that keyed in. that being said the syno community is large enough there's a much larger selection of plugins and addons that may fit your needs than about any other brand barring like dell poweredge dorks that live with a house full of screaming 60mm fans in a bunch of ebay deal 1u's

Cool thanks - my project is basically trying to keep this from becoming an ongoing project.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
In 2014 I set up a Xeon server with VMware ESXi running FreeNAS as one VM (with the raid controller passed through to that VM) and another VM for all Ubuntu and docker stuff. Has also been rock solid all that time. Had to replace a failed drive in the ZFS pool once but that too went swimmingly.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Sagacity posted:

In 2014 I set up a Xeon server with VMware ESXi running FreeNAS as one VM (with the raid controller passed through to that VM) and another VM for all Ubuntu and docker stuff. Has also been rock solid all that time. Had to replace a failed drive in the ZFS pool once but that too went swimmingly.

why didn't you just install FreeNAS in an OS on the server instead of putting a hypervisor in the middle?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Depending on your hardware, VMware sometimes have better drivers than Linux or FreeBSD.
My old AMD FX “server” was unreliable with Linux but rock solid with vSphere for some reason.

And if you janitor VMware at work it’s nice to have a lab environment at home I guess.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yeah true.dat. btw, cross-posting from grey forums, may be relevant to those of ya'll who run ESXi on home servers:

Thanks Ants posted:

VMware are discontinuing support for running the hypervisor from only SD cards and USB sticks. You'll need good local disk as well, at which point the SD card adds no value.

https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2021/09/esxi-7-boot-media-consideration-vmware-technical-guidance.html

i personally am discontinuing my old IBM x3550 M2 server (dual Xeon X5570 CPUs, 128GB RAM, 4x500GB 2.5" SAS HDDs) because it can't run anything past ESXi 6.5 as they discontinued support for the CPUs. gonna move whatever poo poo i actually need to my new stupidly insane QNAP NAS.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I got to do a bunch of network programming on System 7 to get my HTTP downloader program going and I hate network programming

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

why didn't you just install FreeNAS in an OS on the server instead of putting a hypervisor in the middle?
FreeNAS wanted to be installed as a separate "appliance", i.e. be the only thing running on the server. At least the version I used (FreeNAS 9).

Also, Docker and other containerization wasn't really widespread at that time so I figured having VMware in between would allow me to mess up virtual machines without too much risk. And mess them up I definitely did, so it was really handy to just be able to throw out a VM and reinstall a new one.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spankmeister posted:

does synology have anything that can make use of 10GbE yet? I haven't looked into this at all but I've seen folks build NAS' with NVMe drives and 10Gb Ethernet cards and I was wondering how fast those things can get.
Eh, a single platter drive can saturate a 1Gbe link. The hardware beyond the card is probably what's stopping most folks.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Finally set up pihole and my lovely phone is so much faster. apparently half my cpu time / ram was taken up with sending tracking data and loading ads. gently caress you google

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I am thinking about getting a NAS or if I can't find I like turning my PI into one, is there one that you all like?

insert my raving about how you should use an HP ProLiant DL380 for this

if you’re thinking of using a Pi at all for storage, you’ll be far better off using a recent-model off-lease server, and you’re only looking at a few hundred bucks for impressive features and bandwidth

and if you’re thinking of running applications on your NAS it’s a much, much better platform (since you can get dozens of cores, tens to hundreds of GB of RAM, and add PCIe accelerators as needed)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
assuming of course, you have already set up a solar power system and wont be idling with 200w of coal

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
dumb q: where's a good place to buy lightly used servers?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I just bought mine on eBay

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've been to a datacenter or two and those DL380's are loud as gently caress. why would you want that in your house?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

they’re not that loud most of the time with the latest firmware

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

A lot of data centers have CPU power saving disabled because VMware says it adds a bit of latency, setting “max power” in the bios usually means the fans run full tilt all the time too. If you fix that setting they can be as quiet as a desktop computer if they’re mostly idle.

My dell r720 with quad core xeons is pretty quiet but the 720xd and md1200 disk shelf is obnoxiously loud so it lives in the garage.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

you can also take them out of the slim enclosures they're in and use any cooling you want

one weird trick to make loud rear end servers quiet, data centers hate this!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

all of this sure sounds like the most convenient and expedient way to store your bits and bytes yes, might as well make it the official yospos-approved nas solution

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i mean if u got a basement or a garage or something go hog wild with your computing noises. i cant tolerate that poo poo here tho. 120's or 140's or gtfo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm just gonna buy a DS920+ and not worry about it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
excellent choice

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
is a synology a better solution than some sort of cloud thing u pay a sub for, i know this is the project thread just wondering about dollars

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

eschaton posted:

insert my raving about how you should use an HP ProLiant DL380 for this

if you’re thinking of using a Pi at all for storage, you’ll be far better off using a recent-model off-lease server, and you’re only looking at a few hundred bucks for impressive features and bandwidth

and if you’re thinking of running applications on your NAS it’s a much, much better platform (since you can get dozens of cores, tens to hundreds of GB of RAM, and add PCIe accelerators as needed)
Jesus loving christ there's a middle ground between a lovely rpi and 1500w vacuum

barkbell posted:

is a synology a better solution than some sort of cloud thing u pay a sub for, i know this is the project thread just wondering about dollars
IT DEPENDS

spankmeister posted:

I'm just gonna buy a DS920+ and not worry about it
hi5

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

barkbell posted:

i would never rely on cloud file storage unless i had symmetric gig with no cap

having it in your back pocket is fine but as a primary? nah

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i got my souped-up 486* turned on for the first time in 230V-land today. i had thought i needed to find another AT power supply, and opened up the case to check what the dimensions were etc. then i noticed one of those 120/230V switches on one of the inside faces of the PSU - i'd previously assumed that it was 120V-only because i didn't know they'd hidden the switch. meanwhile the original 14" CRT monitor also works fine on 230V, it was a little confusing because the power spec label on the back of the monitor showed 100-240V 50-60hz but then there was a little sticker next to the power port that said "115V" on it.

anyway it's running and everything in dos still works fine but for some reason win 3.11 for workgroups is stuck at the splash screen. but that's probably just a software/driver issue so whatever i'll get to it eventually

now i'm thinking of trying an IDE/SATA adapter and using that to replace the 2GB PATA hard drive with an old SSD i have lying around. not really concerned with performance obviously but just want to remove the whine noise the HDD has and also switch to something that'll be much more reliable than an ancient 2GB harddrive that i had lying around. QUESTION 1: has anyone tried either this or this before? to be clear the machine is old enough that i will need to go into the bios and configure the number of cylinders/heads/sectors and i don't know how that'll work with an adapter. QUESTION 2: do those numbers matter given i'd be using an adapter+SSD, or is it just 'set them big enough to get the capacity you want'?

*originally a 486SX-25 with 8MB ram (itself upgraded from 4MB stock), did some ebay shopping and now it's a 486DX2-66 with 32MB ram

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Progressive JPEG posted:

i got my souped-up 486* turned on for the first time in 230V-land today. i had thought i needed to find another AT power supply, and opened up the case to check what the dimensions were etc. then i noticed one of those 120/230V switches on one of the inside faces of the PSU - i'd previously assumed that it was 120V-only because i didn't know they'd hidden the switch. meanwhile the original 14" CRT monitor also works fine on 230V, it was a little confusing because the power spec label on the back of the monitor showed 100-240V 50-60hz but then there was a little sticker next to the power port that said "115V" on it.

anyway it's running and everything in dos still works fine but for some reason win 3.11 for workgroups is stuck at the splash screen. but that's probably just a software/driver issue so whatever i'll get to it eventually

now i'm thinking of trying an IDE/SATA adapter and using that to replace the 2GB PATA hard drive with an old SSD i have lying around. not really concerned with performance obviously but just want to remove the whine noise the HDD has and also switch to something that'll be much more reliable than an ancient 2GB harddrive that i had lying around. QUESTION 1: has anyone tried either this or this before? to be clear the machine is old enough that i will need to go into the bios and configure the number of cylinders/heads/sectors and i don't know how that'll work with an adapter. QUESTION 2: do those numbers matter given i'd be using an adapter+SSD, or is it just 'set them big enough to get the capacity you want'?

*originally a 486SX-25 with 8MB ram (itself upgraded from 4MB stock), did some ebay shopping and now it's a 486DX2-66 with 32MB ram

I haven’t looked into SATA controllers yet, but I did find these 4GB flash modules that plug into the motherboard interface. Works fine so far.

https://www.transcend-info.com/Embedded/Products/No-820

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

i blew up a computer in primary school by switching the PSU voltage selector switch from 240 to 110 whilst it was turned on. putting the switch on the inside makes sense lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
fortunately a lot of new poo poo is smart enough that it doesn't give a gently caress, thats why a lot of power bricks have 90-240v input ratings