Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Hope they add the couch from Hardline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

North German Plain 1985. Hordes of Warsaw Pact tanks trying to get past stone village after stone village garrisoned with ATGM-wielding infantry.

The game you want is Wargame:Red Dragon.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Inspector Hound posted:

Holy poo poo I had no idea you could just slap mines on a jeep and crash into tanks
Come on and SLAM welcome to the JAM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTXJTwV6cSg

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If I preordered the game should I have gotten an early beta code already?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAjBkJp7l4M

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Well, I didn't kill any tanks, but I did run over a dude repairing theirs at one point

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

Well, I didn't kill any tanks, but I did run over a dude repairing theirs at one point

Tip when using mines to jihad; jump out right after impact. As soon as you exit the vehicle, the game considers it as neutral and the mines explode.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Is Origin completely replaced by the New Origin now? Or is it still being supported

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

jisforjosh posted:

Tip when using mines to jihad; jump out right after impact. As soon as you exit the vehicle, the game considers it as neutral and the mines explode.

I'm going to experiment with sticking slams on the headlights as well

Don't know if I can do this but I'm still going to get kicked from a server trying

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

I'm going to experiment with sticking slams on the headlights as well

Don't know if I can do this but I'm still going to get kicked from a server trying

I need to find the clip, but I put SLAM mines on a RHIB boat on Paracel Storm and an overeager jet tried to strafe me and got close enough to trigger the mines and die.

Edit: found it, timestamped ignore the lovely meme stuff and music, was captured by a streamer buddy of mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqz3PcO-s-I&t=277s

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 4, 2021

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Is Origin completely replaced by the New Origin now? Or is it still being supported

They made a new one?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Eastbound Spider posted:

They made a new one?

Yeah, EA Desktop. Looks like its not quite ready to replace Origin yet when I looked it up today though

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

ea doubble tapping the origin name :blastu:

Eastbound Spider fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 4, 2021

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Whatever they replace it with, I'm still gonna launch it with Steam. :smuggo:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So if you buy on steam then it will still use origin in the background like before right?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

codo27 posted:

So if you buy on steam then it will still use origin in the background like before right?

That's what the battlefield games still do.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

In Canada, time was you'd get taxed buying from Origin but not Steam. Now everything digital is taxed so I might as well just stick with origin

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

jisforjosh posted:

I need to find the clip, but I put SLAM mines on a RHIB boat on Paracel Storm and an overeager jet tried to strafe me and got close enough to trigger the mines and die.

Edit: found it, timestamped ignore the lovely meme stuff and music, was captured by a streamer buddy of mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqz3PcO-s-I&t=277s

Haha that rules

I can report it sucks on the snow mobile in the futuristic levels, it just went right under the hover tank and didn't go off

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://gamingintel.com/battlefield-2042-early-opinions-good-bad-ugly/

quote:

Creators and media have just played the Battlefield 2042 Beta – Here’s what they thought.

Disclaimer: All opinions in this article have been gathered from several individual creators who have wished to remain anonymous. Everything said in this article is just opinions unless stated otherwise.

Creators and media had the opportunity to play the Battlefield 2042 Beta today, with a strict NDA and embargo in place that will be lifted at 8AM BST on October 6.

However, several individuals who have played the Beta early have reached out to give their general first-hand impressions on the game so far.

We’ll be breaking down everything said in three different categories – The good, bad, and ugly.

The good are generally things that people believed to be good and didn’t need changing, the bad are things that needed to be changed and the ugly are things that likely can’t be addressed.

It should be noted that every person playing the Battlefield Beta was on PC and it’s expected that DICE/EA will make some form of announcement tomorrow in regards to consoles and the Beta.

Battlefield 2042 Beta – The Good
The Graphics
Generally speaking everyone I spoke with was positive on the graphics of the game, but as expected, almost everyone said the game isn’t a massive graphical upgrade from past Battlefield titles.

With double the number of players from past Battlefield titles and maps being several times bigger, it’s clear that there had to be some trade-offs with in-game graphics for performance.

It should be mentioned though, that although the graphics were considered “good”, this could also be down to the hardware limitations of some PC builds.

The Tornado
The Tornado seemed to be a highlight to a lot of people’s opinions on the game, with everyone reporting that it is an awesome in-game event that happens randomly and at different severity each time.

Due to this being a media and creator event, everyone ended up going to the tornado (likely for footage), but there were a couple of concerns that it could ruin the overall gameplay experience.

Battlefield 2042 tornado
EA DICE

Destruction
Destruction was my own concern with Battlefield 2042 and although the destruction isn’t what I originally teased, it is still there.

It’s similar to past Battlefield titles, with the “main event” such as the Rocket causing mass devastation to an area.

The tornado also causes destruction too by lifting up vehicles, debris, and players and flinging them across the map in all directions.

Buildings can be destroyed, but their main structured skeleton still remains to keep the map flow the same – We’ll have to wait until we get to play the other maps to really see how far destruction goes.

Battlefield 2042 Beta – The Bad
Customization
The new customization feature wasn’t to everyone’s standards during the short time they played, with many considering the in-game attachment change option as a gimmick.

It’s not entirely clear as to why the majority of the creators felt this way as it could be the case that they simply need to get used to the change, but it was something worth noting.

Battlefield 2042 Customizations
EA DICE
Verticality
As with a modern Battlefield title, comes verticality.

Although I wouldn’t personally consider Orbital as a “vertical map”, several people reported that looking on top of buildings and rooftops is a must.

Even with a large number of air vehicles looming overhead, the grapple hook makes it easy for players to get a verticle advantage.

It’ll be interesting to see how verticality plays a role on the other maps with skyscrapers and other tall buildings.

Weapon Balance
None of the weapons have considerable recoil.

Several people reported that they could easily outshoot a sniper rifle (they have a MASSIVE glint, by the way) with an assault rifle at considerable distances.

A lot of the automatic weapons have little recoil, which is a huge change compared to previous Battlefield titles if that’s by design.

Battlefield 2042 Lobby
EA DICE
Sound Design
It seems like the majority of gaming Beta’s have sound design flaws these days, but this was also an issue reported by several people.

I didn’t want to consider this “Ugly”, as players only had four hours to play the Beta, so getting used to the sound design might take a while.

Read More: Battlefield 2042 New Mastery Cosmetics & Weapon Skins Revealed

Battlefield 2042 Beta – The Ugly
Map Size
Orbital is considered a moderate-sized map for Battlefield 2042, however, every person noted that the map was too big, even for 128 players.

The main feedback on the map is that there are too many open spaces and no cover, making infantry combat boring for a mode like Conquest.

Some people even went as far as to say the maps were basically Open World.

This could be put down to the fact that according to data mined information from data miner Temporyal, the All-Out-War maps will also feature Hazard Zone.

It’s not entirely clear how DICE could fix this issue and it could play better in a different mode, but for Conquest, it seemed too big for many.

AI Players
AI players are enabled during the Battlefield 2042 Beta and after even seeing first-hand footage myself, they are terrible.

I’d compare the bots to Christmas noobs that we’ve all experienced at one time or another during our time playing video games, because they don’t really seem to know what they are doing.

Side note: An AI player will automatically die once an actual player joins the lobby to replace it.

EA DICE

Read More: Battlefield 2042 Hazard Zone Likely to be Revealed at the End of October

Optimization
Although optimization issues should be expected for a Beta, there were comments that many people needed to either turn their graphic settings down or suffer from poor frame rates.

Two creators, both using a 2080Ti, reported that they could only get 80-90 FPS depending on the action on-screen at 1080p.

A stark interest from Battlefield V, where this user managed to get an average of 200 FPS with a similar PC build.

Another player with a 3080 said that they felt like the game was stuttering a lot and they didn’t get the amount of FPS they would have expected with a high-end GPU (a Ryzen 9 3950x 16 core CPU).

The player had to resort to turning all of their settings down to medium settings and only achieved around 120FPS at 1440p.

Read More: How to Get Battlefield 2042 Beta Early Access With No Pre-Order

Conclusion
Overall, the majority of the comments seemed to be positive about the Battlefield 2042 Beta, but several people were concerned that it could have a rough launch.

With the likes of poor optimization still plaguing the game on high-end PC’s, it’s not hard to see why people are concerned.

But it seems like we’re in for a fun premium title launch with Battlefield 2042, but DICE will need to address the bad and ugly elements in a timely manner.

Almost all of the creators said the game felt good and with the Battlefield 2042 Early Access Beta only a day away now, we’ll be able to experience it ourselves very shortly.

An important feature in Battlefield 2042 is the anti-cheat system, where we’ve analyzed the good and the bad.

This is pretty much a useless article, apologies

kri kri fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 4, 2021

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

getting rid of Considerable Recoil is actually a good thing since it means people are less likely to recoil cheat and it's easier to deal w/ recoil cheaters

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

kri kri posted:

This is pretty much a useless article, apologies

By Author Tom Henderson

Checks out

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Hell yeah gently caress those snipers

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

if people aren't aware, wal-mart, gamestop, etc. sell controller cheating devices in the hundreds of thousands of units where one of their focal selling points is built-in anti-recoil cheating

anti-recoil cheating is extremely normalized and mainstream now

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I figure anyone who needs controller steroids loving sucks and won’t be any good even with zero recoil. I can still hop on Battlefield 1 blackout drunk, after not playing for months and finish as the MVP most of the time.

Im not worried about people cheating unless it’s aim bots or other untouchable cheats.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
oh wow its gonna suck!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

sweatier people will recoil cheat when they might otherwise not aimbot cheat and it's really obnoxious in games with Considerable Recoil (e.g. rust)

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

quote:

HAMADA 10x

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

oh wow its gonna suck!

Battlefield: oh wow its gonna suck!

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

afkmacro posted:

HAMADA 10x

n-no please...:negative:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

quote:

Several people reported that they could easily outshoot a sniper rifle (they have a MASSIVE glint, by the way) with an assault rifle at considerable distances.

come to butthead

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
imagine having way worse performance issues than BFV

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Blue Raider posted:

come to butthead

:sickos:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I haven't been paying much attention. Am I correct that if I have an EA Play sub I can start beta on Oct 6th or do I have to preorder for that?

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Honestly BF1 is the only time bolt actions actually felt like a decent alternative to other gun types; any other Battlefield they've already always been outperformed by Marksman rifles or ARs with decent long range damage or excellent recoil control unless you're absolutely god-like at getting those headshots.

Or you're being completely useless and are just plinking away at people on the other side of the map.

The only thing I could see becoming an issue is the generic performance complaints if it ends up being an unoptimized mess (though really if the article is true about the majority of the issues hitting just the 144 FPS/Supersampling/etc. crowd and the game managing 60 FPS just fine, I don't see it becoming TOO big a problem) and the map size complaint (lol Hamada) buuuuuut on the other hand i wonder if anyone actually bothered with the whole fancy vehicle drop system.

Warad fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 5, 2021

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Lol at people saying the item swap thing is a gimmick.

Being able to change scopes alone makes it worthwhile imo. Not to mention put on/take off suppressors.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 5, 2021

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Pre-ordered and was curious what the ultimate edition got vs. the gold edition and was relieved to find it was just pointless OST/artbook and a 'Look how bad-rear end my dress up shootmans is now my step dad will love me' skin pack.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Laserface posted:

Pre-ordered and was curious what the ultimate edition got vs. the gold edition and was relieved to find it was just pointless OST/artbook and a 'Look how bad-rear end my dress up shootmans is now my step dad will love me' skin pack.

Yeah the ultimate/gold editions are just way overpriced for what they give you ingame (which amounts to "barely anything").

Probably still better than premium though.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 5, 2021

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Yami Fenrir posted:

Yeah the ultimate/gold editions are just way overpriced for what they give you ingame (which amounts to "barely anything".

Probably still better than premium though.

Definitely better than the Battlefield V Deluxe Edition

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Yami Fenrir posted:

Lol at people saying the item swap thing is a gimmick.

Being able to change scopes alone makes it worthwhile imo. Not to mention put on/take off suppressors.

It "is" in the way that it kinda ruins the fun of dealing with the hand you're dealt when you ran into a situation you were totally not set up for if you can just switch from a full-powered scope to a reflex sight in a second, but yeah, all it really does just streamline the whole "jumping back and forth out of the loadout screen to switch accessories" experience so :shrug:

The only fear it does give me is DICE deciding they shouldn't bother offering canted sights and magnifiers as an option since "why bother? :v:" but in one gameplay leak I noticed at least there was an ACOG/Reflex hybrid being an option so here's hoping.

And 2042's Gold/Ultimate editions do give you the whole first year of battlepasses and all the stuff that'll come with them with what I "assume" is a markdown from buying them all separately but with EA who knows.

Warad fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Preload is live. It's a little over 18 gigs.