Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

qnqnx posted:

You seem very easily pleased.

So what? You seem to be making this oddly personal, whoever you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Crosspeice posted:

It's not surprising these games look and run bad when Game Freak gets around 6 weeks to program these games full of 800+ unique creatures before they move onto the next game that's coming out in a year. Unsurprisingly a bunch of competent enough 2D sprite developers on handhelds struggled a bit to move to 3D handheld and then 3D HD console within the span of 5 years, while also making 8 games during that time. But hey, Pokemon's gameplay loop is good enough and they throw so many options at you these days that you can do literally anything you want and have a good time. No wonder SWSH is the 3rd best selling games in the series.

But they could really use more time.
even though it seems like BDSP will keep some of the original games' slightly baffling design decisions, this right here is why I'm glad gamefreak outsourced it to another company. If the games are going to ramp up in technical scale, gamefreak should be given more time to work on them.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
While we're criticizing brand, apparently if you pre-order the gen 4 remakes you get 2 each of the apricot balls, and I know Pokémon thrives on artificial scarcity but...come on, man. Just let us have the balls.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Okay genuinely curious because maybe this is just me and I'm dumb but

did anyone ever actually use any of the specialty pokeballs? I don't think I ever have

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Blaziken386 posted:

even though it seems like BDSP will keep some of the original games' slightly baffling design decisions, this right here is why I'm glad gamefreak outsourced it to another company. If the games are going to ramp up in technical scale, gamefreak should be given more time to work on them.

Agreed. At very least, the spin-offs and remakes should be outsourced.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Blockhouse posted:

did anyone ever actually use any of the specialty pokeballs? I don't think I ever have

In a perfect world all my Pokémon would be in love balls.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

TheHan posted:

While we're criticizing brand, apparently if you pre-order the gen 4 remakes you get 2 each of the apricot balls, and I know Pokémon thrives on artificial scarcity but...come on, man. Just let us have the balls.

30 potions preorder bonus

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Blockhouse posted:

Quick balls are the way

Dusk balls are also good against many legendaries because they like to live in caves

That's about it though

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I liked SwSh but it obviously does have a lot of issues(that aren’t entirely Gamefreak’s fault) like the performance, barebones story, ect. The DLC did a lot of help smooth those out. The limited Pokédex was going to happen at some point so it’s not a huge deal.

Blaziken386 posted:

Which baffling decisions are they keeping?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
For real, if you haven't tried quick balls before, do yourself a favor next time and buy a stack of them. Just remember that the tooltip is a bit unclear: it has the boosted catch rate only on the first turn. By turn 2 it's just a pokeball. The catch rate boost is massive enough to more than make up for not getting a chance to weaken them, though

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

cheetah7071 posted:

For real, if you haven't tried quick balls before, do yourself a favor next time and buy a stack of them. Just remember that the tooltip is a bit unclear: it has the boosted catch rate only on the first turn. By turn 2 it's just a pokeball. The catch rate boost is massive enough to more than make up for not getting a chance to weaken them, though

Yeah they’re 100% catch rate against the majority of wild Pokémon, it’s pretty busted.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Blockhouse posted:

Dusk, Timers & Quick Balls I use for their actual purpose. Other ones I'll sometimes use if its something that's gonna be on my team and I want a bit of visual variety with their entrance and/or I have a ball that's thematically suitable for them (eg luxury ball for any 'elegant'-design pokemon).

The games really need a pokeball swapping machine, its boring when I end up with an entire party in regular red pokeballs

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

RatHat posted:

Which baffling decisions are they keeping?

The fact they're remakes of DP, god those games are so bad. It's the issue I have with every remake, it sticks way too close to the originals and gets dragged down because of it. And they'll ignore all the amazing Platinum tweaks and changes because it's the DP remake, of course! Man, why was HGSS the only remake to properly integrate 3rd version content?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, I really wish they'd take a bit of liberties with the remakes to refresh and improve things, its what made HGSS such a treat. Like, they straight up added new areas and features like the new version of the Safari Zone you get access to halfway through Johto that lets you get access to a bunch of pokes much earlier then in G/S, IIRC.

SD/BP feel like they're playing it fairly safe I think? Like beyond the HM thing.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

TheHan posted:

if you preorder from the official pokemon center website, the preorder bonus is a small plushie of one of the starters

but also lol

the lengths they go to to make apricorn balls restricted are almost funny. the fact that Isle of Armor reintroduced apricorns but gave them a 1% chance to make their respective ball was just a deliberate gently caress you

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

I liked the DLC, but to me they just highted how awful the core game was.

SwSh are just not good games. Legends Arceus looks dope though.

Agreed on both points.

SwSh is the only game besides XY that I've never done a complete second playthrough of, because it loses all it's momentum around the 5th gym and never quite picks back up. For reference, my favorite gen is 3 and I think both Emerald and ORAS do a good job of keeping things interesting and moving along the whole way, while having fun side areas to discover or return to.

Still hyped for the gen 4 remakes in a month!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Nanigans posted:

Oh, yeah. The gating and overall story happening mostly off screen to other people blew. And the AI is so bad, but my three best friends all got it day 1 with me. 2 Sword, 2 Shield. It was great.

I never touched the DLC until like two weeks ago and it’s all been a lot of fun. I’ve been going through Dynamax Adventures so I haven’t dived in to the story of Crown Tundra, but I just ran into Calyrex and saw him possess Peony and lol. All of the cheap ways to get items and EV train and change natures and abilities has been great too. Really cuts down on mindless breeding which was always my least favorite part of the endgame.

This is the best part of Sword and Shield by a pretty large margin. Cutting out more of the busywork that's in the way of getting to competitive play is great and I really hope Gen IX doesn't roll back those changes and additions.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Crosspeice posted:

The fact they're remakes of DP, god those games are so bad. It's the issue I have with every remake, it sticks way too close to the originals and gets dragged down because of it. And they'll ignore all the amazing Platinum tweaks and changes because it's the DP remake, of course! Man, why was HGSS the only remake to properly integrate 3rd version content?

Uh but it seems like most of the Platinum changes ARE in? Which ones aren’t?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
SwSh are my least favorites from a story mode perspective since XY (the absolute worst), yes. But from a quality of life and character perspective, it’s one of the best.

BDSP has the side missions with the Chansey lady and Lucario dude. Those were definitely from Platinum. We haven’t seen anything about the Battle Frontier as far as I know. I think that and the new Platinum lieutenants and the Giratina/Distorted World changes were the main additions that I can remember. Don’t think we’ve seen anything about these yet, have we?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah the Platinum story changes probably aren't in, and Battle Frontier might not fully be in(there'll probably at least a Tower). But all the QoL stuff seems to be there.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Nanigans posted:

BDSP has the side missions with the Chansey lady and Lucario dude. Those were definitely from Platinum.

They're from DP

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

swoshi looks like "trubbish". pile of "garbador"

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Anyone who doesn't meticulously plan out their team so
1: Every member is in an aesthetically matching ball and you get said balls as early as possible (self trading is a godsend in this case) and...
2: Making sure none of them repeat on the team so you have six different balls
Can't be called a true Pokemon fan. Mons that could only be caught in normal balls before ball breeding was introduced are exempt from the first rule, but not the second.
Even if you have to migrate mons up (I've done this to get Apricorn and Safari balls on Gen 5 and 6 teams)
TLDR; Gzamefreak give me a goddamn ball changer already! My original SS and Plat teams look terrible!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

oddium posted:

swoshi looks like "trubbish". pile of "garbador"

So you're saying they're good, got it.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
For everyone who likes to match up the pokeball with the mon, don't forget that ball seals are coming back in BDSP. So you can have flower petals or confetti or whatever when you send it out too.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Save edit your mons to have the correct pokeball

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Plasbad posted:

For everyone who likes to match up the pokeball with the mon, don't forget that ball seals are coming back in BDSP. So you can have flower petals or confetti or whatever when you send it out too.

I hope they have the letters too but something tells me they won’t because they’d be abused in multiplayer.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Let pokeballs say gently caress

Only gently caress, censor literally everything else. Chatot too

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

qnqnx posted:

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

qnqnx posted:

As someone who actually enjoys putting work into catching mons in the right ball, and breeding up perfect mons, I wholeheartedly agree with this statement if you don't get enjoyment out of going through the hoops.

I've definitely genned up a few hard to get mons to use in competitive play when I didn't feel like replaying an entire game just to catch another one.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Nanigans posted:

BDSP has the side missions with the Chansey lady and Lucario dude. Those were definitely from Platinum. We haven’t seen anything about the Battle Frontier as far as I know. I think that and the new Platinum lieutenants and the Giratina/Distorted World changes were the main additions that I can remember. Don’t think we’ve seen anything about these yet, have we?
They 100% were not platinum exclusive, both of them are in Diamond/Pearl.

The reason I mention them keeping the D/P changes is because platinum changed the visuals of a few areas for the better, and from what they've shown, people have been able to match the updated versions to the original games 1 for 1 - everything from floroma town flower placements to bits of the safari zone being the same.

I'm still excited about the remakes, but I'll be a little disappointed if they decide to completely ignore all platinum changes. Specifically because platinum is much more visually interesting when it wants to be. IE: Stark Mountain
vs

There's also the worry of "if they're so married to the original design, what if they decide to keep the original encounter rates and shove ALL of the new stuff into the underground".

e: or, more specifically

In Diamond/Pearl, the poketch had one button to toggle apps. In Platinum, this was changed to two so you could scroll up or down, because accidentally skipping past the one you wanted was very common and very annoying.

In BDSP, you have one button.

qnqnx posted:

Sadly I do not have CFW on my switch

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 5, 2021

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Plasbad posted:

I've definitely genned up a few hard to get mons to use in competitive play when I didn't feel like replaying an entire game just to catch another one.

Why would you care about balls for competitive? They’re all soulless husks anyway, no better than a rental. Even if they’re not an outright clones they’re an abomination of generations of incest at a factory farm who exists solely to cheese the game. Way I see it if you’re not going to use the team you actually had an adventure with and grew attached to what’s even the point? Honestly I don’t see why if they can set levels to 50 for postgame facilities they can’t set IV’s too.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
While I'm not saying this is an impossible task or excusing them from not doing it, just flat setting all the levels at 50 is a little different from flat setting IVs, because you don't always want all IVs at max. Some people want the speed IV at 0 for Trick Room shenanigans, and having a special attacker or defensive Pokemon with 0 IVs in Attack is pretty common to reduce confusion damage. Just maxing out all IVs would actually hurt some Pokemon and strategies. So the only real way to get around that would have a menu where you set each individual IV at either "max" or "0" and that might get tedious.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

galagazombie posted:

Way I see it if you’re not going to use the team you actually had an adventure with and grew attached to what’s even the point?
pokemon stories don't really feel like adventures to me and I'm a lot more likely to get invested in pokemon via pvp because it's not a pushover

but really the only time I have grown attached to individual pokemon at all was in the mystery dungeon games

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Twelve by Pies posted:

While I'm not saying this is an impossible task or excusing them from not doing it, just flat setting all the levels at 50 is a little different from flat setting IVs, because you don't always want all IVs at max. Some people want the speed IV at 0 for Trick Room shenanigans, and having a special attacker or defensive Pokemon with 0 IVs in Attack is pretty common to reduce confusion damage. Just maxing out all IVs would actually hurt some Pokemon and strategies. So the only real way to get around that would have a menu where you set each individual IV at either "max" or "0" and that might get tedious.

If all IV’s are equalized than they in effect no longer exist. Thus the whole “Zero Speed Trick Room” and similar isn’t a factor because the opponent won’t have say, changed their Speed IV’s either.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
That isn't really true. An attack from a Pokemon against itself will do less damage if they have a high Defense IV and a 0 Attack IV compared to if they have a high Defense and Attack IV. I'm also pretty sure that due to how IVs work and are calculated, that Pokemon in the same speed tier might get outsped by something they wouldn't normally get outsped by if they had a 0 speed IV if you maxed all IVs, though I don't actually have any proof to back that statement up so I could be completely wrong about that. Definitely not wrong on the first one though.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Today is a good day

I'm not usually one for anime/gaming figs but I love gen 4 and Cynthia fuckin rules

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nanigans posted:

So what? You seem to be making this oddly personal, whoever you are.

Every other post in this thread for the last two pages has been you rushing to go ',Nuh Uh!' To anyone even mildly going 'Yeah this wasn't good.

The only person taking this brand slandering personally is you. Please stop.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Blaziken386 posted:

They 100% were not platinum exclusive, both of them are in Diamond/Pearl.

Yeah, you’re right. Not sure why I remembered Riley and the others being a Platinum thing. I replayed Platinum way more often for obvious reasons. Guess that was it.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Every other post in this thread for the last two pages has been you rushing to go ',Nuh Uh!' To anyone even mildly going 'Yeah this wasn't good.

The only person taking this brand slandering personally is you. Please stop.

I did. But since you brought it up, I still think the game’s great!! And nothing I’ve seen in here has changed my opinion to the contrary! But please, continue to tell me my personal opinion is wrong. I’ll be happy to continue making GBS threads up the Pokémon thread with my appreciation of Pokémon.

I love product! It must suck to be a hater of product!

Anyway, I just got Home and apparently the only thing anyone wants is Furfrou haircuts. I guess I’ll boot up UltraSun again. I need the ice horse to finish my Crown Tundra dex, but it looks like I can get literally anything for poodles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Raylax posted:

Today is a good day

I'm not usually one for anime/gaming figs but I love gen 4 and Cynthia fuckin rules

I love the way garchomp is peeking out from behind her as if to say "You want I should mess 'em up boss?" :3: