Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm currently stuck trying to get the Demon's Mail off Tantarian. I won but I only got the Silver Fork so it doesn't count.

last time i played FF9 i spent over an hour on this before finally giving up lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Doesn't everyone get every class in 13 after you get to Gran Pulse?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Help Im Alive posted:

I mean aren't most of the boss steals things you can buy like an hour later

I don't think there are any unique steals except from superbosses but you actually burn through gil kinda fast in FF9 so stealing an expensive gubbin from a boss saves a lot of grinding. Also every successful steal makes Zidane's Thievery move stronger

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Doesn't everyone get every class in 13 after you get to Gran Pulse?

Yeah, but everyone has a different set of abilities for each role so they don't all do them the same or equally.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Speed also multiplies the damage before being halved and that also counts your troupe's steals as well. Lowbie grinding easy steals and speed equipment can make Zidane stupidly strong.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Harrow posted:

Yeah, but everyone has a different set of abilities for each role so they don't all do them the same or equally.

Yeah I never really optimized, I think I used Lightning, Sazh and Fang to beat the last boss. I think I used Vanille to grind Long Guis with the Death spam trick to get all the weapons fully upgraded.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I never really optimized, I think I used Lightning, Sazh and Fang to beat the last boss. I think I used Vanille to grind Long Guis with the Death spam trick to get all the weapons fully upgraded.

Yeah I did a ton of Long Gui grinding when I was doing the FF13 postgame. I think my final party for the superbosses was Lightning, Vanille, and Fang if I remember correctly. No idea what the optimal party is but that one worked great for me.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Harrow posted:

Also it costs a lot of CP to learn and level up a new Role. In my first run of XIII i did no optional poo poo on Pulse so I spent forever grinding on my second run. But then I ended up having to use most of those points to teach a new Role to Snow because I could not for the life of me defeat Barthandelus. I still don't understand why Bart 1 was hard on my first run while Bart 2 was nothing, and then on my second run when I was not only stronger but understood the battle system better, Bart 2 was a nightmare.

Point being, if you aren't gonan grind up points, a new Role isn't really worth it.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

last time i played FF9 i spent over an hour on this before finally giving up lol.

I'm tempted to do just that. I figured Spare Change is a good way to make him open up but after that first one I'm not sure what to use again to find him. I'm sure there are all kinds of strategies, I just wanted to try and figure out one on my own.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm tempted to do just that. I figured Spare Change is a good way to make him open up but after that first one I'm not sure what to use again to find him. I'm sure there are all kinds of strategies, I just wanted to try and figure out one on my own.

minus strike with a critical steiner works

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

DrPossum posted:

Why is fixing steal rate not at the top of this

Good point. I'll add another:

- make Amarant not bad

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only thing wrong with Fang is her girlfriend.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

NikkolasKing posted:

I still don't understand why Bart 1 was hard on my first run while Bart 2 was nothing, and then on my second run when I was not only stronger but understood the battle system better, Bart 2 was a nightmare.

I can't explain it either, but this is exactly what happened to me as well.

Tbh I feel like maybe it's just some RNG on Bart 2 for who he attacks, and maybe I just got lucky he didn't kill anyone in my first attempt. Could also be that I used a lot of Renew in my first playthrough, which I don't use as much in subsequent playthroughs.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Trying out 11 for the first time and the beginning is just brutal. I guess you just gotta kill level one mobs until you hit like level 11? No gear drops, no healing items and even the easiest monsters take forever to kill because 75 percent of your attacks whiff. Dunno if I'm gonna even get to any of the story in this.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

11 is pretty brutal early on, yeah. Helps to use a controller and set up a bunch of addons using Windower, I can't imagine playing it vanilla even with all the QoL improvements over the years. The XI thread in MMO HMO is a good place to ask for help, they were great for advice when I tried it out.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Harrow posted:

Also give Freya more to do after disc 1

Apparently the dissidia mobile game fleshed her out quite a bit, but Amarant isn’t in it so they couldn’t flesh him out too or capitalize on the budding relationship from the couple of ate’s they had. Like, I want to know more about Amarant, his relationship with Lani, his relationship with Brahne, and especially more interaction with Zidane, but we’ve never gotten it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Just watched some FF7 mobile trailer.

Why is this monk using a machine gun? What is this dumb mobile game I’m going to play?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Trying out 11 for the first time and the beginning is just brutal. I guess you just gotta kill level one mobs until you hit like level 11? No gear drops, no healing items and even the easiest monsters take forever to kill because 75 percent of your attacks whiff. Dunno if I'm gonna even get to any of the story in this.

This is it improved, by the by

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Lol, try it back in the day. Still remember how devastating a level down was after the first disastrous crab pull was.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Gotta get them trusts to make 11 bearable.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Wiki how to unlock a. Trusts and b. Records of Eminence. Once you've got both unlocked, under RoE go to Tutorial -> Basics and there'll be a series of RoEs that give you five other trusts for free (a tank, a healer, a samurai, a scholar, and a bard).

The trusts will do the heavy lifting for your combat until you hit 99. Your responsibility in the meantime is to a. pull your weapon and hit something to get them to activate and b. not die. They scale to your level (at time of summoning; worth dismiss-and-resummon if you've gained several levels, or for that matter if they run out of MP), and below 99 they do not care one whit about how well geared you are.

Gear-wise, RoEs will reward you with a currency called sparks, which you can spend on some leveling gear, just bear in mind that you will rapidly outgrow it. It is completely viable to wear your level 1 starter gear and let the trusts carry you through the leveling process, and by doing so you save sparks which can then be spent on some starter level 99 gear (or converted into gil).

Also wiki the Rhapsodies of Vana'diel missions - they offer very concrete mechanical gameplay benefits for progressing through them (like permanent passive bonus experience, ability to summon more than three trusts, etc.) and can be started at very low levels. One notable low-level benefit is that one of the very first missions basically unlocks your subjob for free, without having to grind out enemy drops.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Apparently the dissidia mobile game fleshed her out quite a bit, but Amarant isn’t in it so they couldn’t flesh him out too or capitalize on the budding relationship from the couple of ate’s they had. Like, I want to know more about Amarant, his relationship with Lani, his relationship with Brahne, and especially more interaction with Zidane, but we’ve never gotten it.

Dammit, that might get me to try Dissidia again.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Yeah I got that Naji guy already where's the RoE unlock for Bastok? The tutorial missions got me to this point but now want me to go and kill a monster in an area that's north of the starting area but those monsters are two shotting me.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've heard the mobile game is much much better than NT

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah I got that Naji guy already where's the RoE unlock for Bastok? The tutorial missions got me to this point but now want me to go and kill a monster in an area that's north of the starting area but those monsters are two shotting me.

Quests (in menu) -> RoE -> Tutorial -> Basics -> First Step Forward

Then go talk to Isakoth in Bastok Markets, who's near the exit to Gustaberg. That'll unlock most of the rest of RoE (which lives in that same subsection of the quests menu). Work your way through most of the rest of the Basics section after that. The Tutorial section in general is also a good high-level overview of some useful things you can do/unlock while leveling or in early endgame.

The tutorial NPC you're referring to is from a different, older newbie introduction system. It's still in the game - and the game, to its discredit, still signposts you to it while leaving you to menu-surf to discover RoE - but it's not too terribly helpful these days.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

See I didn't even know there were quests in the Menu because it was completely blank when i first checked it. Apparently they still update the game so why not add a line of dialog telling you to check the quest log when that stuff becomes available?

Edit: I assume most 'new' players are probably just people returning and rolling an alt or something though so it's not a pressing issue to the small dev team

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

See I didn't even know there were quests in the Menu because it was completely blank when i first checked it. Apparently they still update the game so why not add a line of dialog telling you to check the quest log when that stuff becomes available?

That, much like the concept of keybinds that don't require holding ctrl or alt first, would make entirely too much sense for Final Fantasy 11. (The no-modifier keybinds, bless their heart, were all sacrificed to the altar of "let you start chatting by hitting any key, rather than inconveniencing you by making you tap enter first".)

Side note - click on every Home Point and Survival Guide you see. If you pull up your local map, they'll flash slightly if you haven't touched them yet. They serve as unlockable fast travel points.

e: Generally speaking though, 11 is a game with a legacy of jank and too small of a dev team to meaningfully de-jank it. You will encounter plenty of other questionable design decisions and/or game systems as you progress. I'd argue it's still worth it to go through the main story missions, but unless you get very attached to the gameplay, feel free to peace out rather than investing yourself in the MMO endgame aspect once you've exhausted the story.

Vil fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 5, 2021

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Yeah isn't there a boss that's unbeatable for NA players because of the ping?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

That was Pandemonium Warden, iirc, who had a gimmick where it could use the 2 hour ability of any player class, but a player using their matching 2HA within a few seconds of it causes it to cancel out.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

BisbyWorl posted:

That was Pandemonium Warden, iirc, who had a gimmick where it could use the 2 hour ability of any player class, but a player using their matching 2HA within a few seconds of it causes it to cancel out.

And being able to use any player class ability meant that it could use the full heal ability on itself. I believe I read a story where they got it to half health and it just fully healed itself.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Using abilities seems weird in 11 already, like my weapon skill will just get randomly delayed. Sometimes it goes off immediately and others it goes off after several auto attacks. Seems like that boss is badly designed.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Much like the EQ dragons it wasn't really 'meant' to be beaten

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I have managed to mess up setup for ff9 alternate fantasy and only noticed until Terra. So all abilities were alternate fantasy but pretty sure bosses and such were vanilla.

I'm at memoria now and what is with this Hades boss, he just starts the fight by floating back and becoming untargetable before dropping everyone's health to critical with curse.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

BisbyWorl posted:

Absolute Virtue was the superboss with the 2 hour ability gimmick, not Pandemonium Warden.

But yeah, Pandemonium Warden was the infamous "players made themselves sick by fighting a boss for 18 hours" one. That incident resulted in the devs instituting a hard time limit on all boss fights where they would automatically despawn after 2 hours of fighting.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 5, 2021

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Dissidia FFOO is great because you have scenes like Laguna, Irvine and King bonding over guns, Cid Highwind finding out that space stations exist in VIII and wanting to visit or Auron acting like his usual wise old mentor self before Galuf is like "I'm 25 years older than you, stop acting like an old man"

Draga fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 5, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Draga posted:

Dissidia FFOO is great because you have scenes like Laguna, Irvine and King bonding over guns, Cid Highwind finding out that space stations exist in VIII and wanting to visit or Auron acting like his usual wise old mentor self before Galuf is like "I'm 25 years older than you, stop acting like an old man"

Nice.

I played a bit early on so I do have some weapons and stuff.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I mean aren't most of the boss steals things you can buy like an hour later

Yep. There are a grand total of 10 stealable items that are totally unique or limited availability, and they're all on Disc 4 or from Ozma.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Some of the Disk 3 stuff is pretty good even if iirc you can just grind cats and adamantoises for money to synth it, but by then you’ll have Master Thief so the moral is to just never put effort into stealing before having that. Or cheat, idk man i don’t judge.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The lesson is Stealing Is Wrong.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Lol, try it back in the day. Still remember how devastating a level down was after the first disastrous crab pull was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTIwBDNDO4M

Worst sound in the world. Well, second after the Sonic drowning music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

IIRC, Absolute Virtue(?) was designed to be killed in some super obscure bullshit fashion and every time some group beat it using a different method, SE nerfed that method.

FFXI was an extremely bad MMO whose defenders wear the thickest, rosiest glasses imaginable and it's not at all surprising that FFXIV 1.0 was an unmitigated trainwreck of a game when you look at all the issues FFXI had.