Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

It sounds like you can almost think of it like an alternate timeline; is it still set in the same year it was before or did they move it up to be more modern day?

Modern day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

It sounds like you can almost think of it like an alternate timeline; is it still set in the same year it was before or did they move it up to be more modern day?
it's modern day, and they also moved the setting. the city in the remake is a bigger city versus the small town of the original.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

like seinfeld tsukihime doesn't work if they have smart phones

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

taser rates posted:

Modern day.

2014, Nasu's said in interviews.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Stairmaster posted:

shiki is rightfully distrustful of tech companies and keeps his phone's location services off, which allows his meet cute with arc to remain epistemically uncertain

n.b. did not read the original and only just started on the remake so maybe nasu addresses phone pedantry more later, idk

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Baal posted:

What I don't get is why they don't at least just test the waters with something. So many Type-Moon properties have come to America and become such a facet of western otaku culture that you'd think they could invest some amount of money into an English TL for FSN with the amount of ports it has. FSN has had so much of its poo poo figured out at this point that they could do something like hire Xseed and have someone as a contact point with Nasu to confirm if poo poo's going well or makes sense wrt his intentions or whatever and see if the demand is there or how well it would go without him. I don't believe for even a minute the dude can't spare an hour to talk about concerns he'd have to someone and made sure they're followed, he does not need to be in the room for every little thing as evidenced by the absurd amount of adaptations we've gotten that have done just fine on their own.

Like this reminds me of how no one ever believed JoJo would come to the west because of the stand names and right now Part 5 is in print with the remaining parts on their way.

I remember reading a possibly apocryphal story about how Nash didn't actually remember offhand FSN never had an English release. It's probably just not a high priority.

I should re read the original tsukihime, by the time I'm done there might be a patch for for remake so I can compare.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

I remember reading a possibly apocryphal story about how Nash didn't actually remember offhand FSN never had an English release. It's probably just not a high priority.

I should re read the original tsukihime, by the time I'm done there might be a patch for for remake so I can compare.
It wasn't Nasu, it was one of the Sony people when FGO was getting released in the US.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

narm00 posted:

2014, Nasu's said in interviews.

Well yes, but modernized relative to the original. They all generally take place during the time period they were being written in, with the exception of Mahoyo.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

The big search scenes are with people that for obvious reasons don't have a smartphone or that really don't want to be find. And even if later he gets it back from Kohaku, Shiki smartphone was confiscated by Akiha (they don't even keep a TV there, why should she allow him to have a smartphone) and he is not supposed to have it when he goes missing.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

It’s modern day, but it just seems to be modern day at the time that he wrote it, meaning early 2010s. :v:

Whether that counts as an alternate timeline depends on how you define it, I guess. But at the very least, they’ve changed some stuff about the setting. The dead apostle ancestor list has seen some changes, for instance, and there are new characters.

Stairmaster posted:

They actually directly address this! Shiki has a smartphone, but it gets confiscated day one by Akiha, but Kohaku secretly returns it, but Shiki forgets to use it except for once or twice because his head is empty. :downs:

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

(they don't even keep a TV there, why should she allow him to have a smartphone)

Kohaku has a TV.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Bakanogami posted:

It’s modern day, but it just seems to be modern day at the time that he wrote it, meaning early 2010s. :v:

Whether that counts as an alternate timeline depends on how you define it, I guess. But at the very least, they’ve changed some stuff about the setting. The dead apostle ancestor list has seen some changes, for instance, and there are new characters.

They actually directly address this! Shiki has a smartphone, but it gets confiscated day one by Akiha, but Kohaku secretly returns it, but Shiki forgets to use it except for once or twice because his head is empty. :downs:

Shiki is described as kind of a luddite in the story tbh, so it's kind of in character for him to forget about using his phone most of the time. Anyways, I'm a slow reader so I only just started on Ciel's route, but I'm enjoying it a lot so far. Arc's route is largely the same as was said upthread, but the writing is unsurprisingly way better than I remember, and everything has more breathing room to feel like a real setting as opposed to just ornamentation for the story.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Bakanogami posted:

uses fire/ice instead of sharks and crocodiles.

This is not okay :colbert:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A change is nice sometimes

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I'd kinda love for it to be the case that you can flip open Shiki's phone and read messages from people like in some other VNs.

But yeah I mean, I assume the original Tsukihime was like set in the 90's, so if they moved it up to be the 2010's that's interesting to me, feels like it would have ramifications on the Fate timeline.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

iirc fate and tsuki exist in different timelines, and the branch point is pretty far back, so not really

but that's generally true of everything, per nasu. if theres a discrepancy, its a different timeline, all of them are the canon timeline, dont worry too much about it

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

everything is canon

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'd kinda love for it to be the case that you can flip open Shiki's phone and read messages from people like in some other VNs.

But yeah I mean, I assume the original Tsukihime was like set in the 90's, so if they moved it up to be the 2010's that's interesting to me, feels like it would have ramifications on the Fate timeline.

They started insisting that everything is in separate timelines some years back, and particularly that the balance of gaia and alaya or something is different between Tsukihime worlds and Fate worlds, so that heroic spirits can't be summoned in Tsukihime worlds, and the 27 DAAs don't exist as an organization in Fate worlds. (Though some do as individuals) This is still being backed up, based on some of the stuff I've seen from Saber's story mode in the new Melty Blood. Roa talks about how ghost liners had only been theorized about and so on.

They've never really said exactly where the divergence point between Tsukihime and Fate is afaik, but we do know that it was quite far back. Blackmore is alive in the present as one of the 27 DAAs in Tsukihime, but according to Case Files, he's been dead for nearly 2000 years in the Fate timeline. I think the main theory is that the fight between Zelretch and Crimson Moon in 300 AD either didn't happen or went differently?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I just had the random thought that changing the city Tsukihime takes place in has the (intentional?) side effect of resolving the question of Alice's mansion being in the same place as the Tohno mansion in the case that Mahoyo and Tsukihime share timelines.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Based strictly on Type Lumina since I can't read Japanese/don't read jp spoilers, Vlov seems like a weirdo. He's got 10 wives and is trying to stop being a blood drinker.

Also the way his powers work actually seem pretty close to what Akiha can already do, which considering he immediately proposes to her is I guess fitting.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

many cultures around the world practice polyamory

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
i think it's different when there's a vampire with an extended lifespan involved though

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Rody One Half posted:

Based strictly on Type Lumina since I can't read Japanese/don't read jp spoilers, Vlov seems like a weirdo. He's got 10 wives and is trying to stop being a blood drinker.

Also the way his powers work actually seem pretty close to what Akiha can already do, which considering he immediately proposes to her is I guess fitting.

are you telling me you don't want multiple wives

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Vlov is voiced by Tsuda he can have as many wives as he wants

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Never go full Orlouge.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Captain Baal posted:

Vlov is voiced by Tsuda he can have as many wives as he wants

Is one of them the Blue Eyes White Dragon

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tsukuhime's release and the Third Donda listening party were the same day :hmmyes:
Both artists returning to their roots...I'll let you guys draw your own conclusions

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I just watched the first ep of fate extra last encore I had no idea it existed I just saw something on Netflix I couldn’t read the name of and hit play and it seems pretty dang exactly what I want it to be.

Which is insane and inscrutable. I think someone wanted to be making Monogatari.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

kater posted:

I just watched the first ep of fate extra last encore I had no idea it existed I just saw something on Netflix I couldn’t read the name of and hit play and it seems pretty dang exactly what I want it to be.

Which is insane and inscrutable. I think someone wanted to be making Monogatari.

It rules OP.

It won't make any sense, like, ever. But it rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW3LAJrZoQ0

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

kater posted:

It probably also has something to do with being a sequel to a video game set in a timeline way removed from the regular Fate series. So, there’s going to be a lot of new characters and a lot of characters that are vastly different from their mainline counterparts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no the fate/extra anime is also just not great at actually communicating the story and inexplicably seems designed and aimed at people who have already played fate/extra

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Endorph posted:

no the fate/extra anime is also just not great at actually communicating the story and inexplicably seems designed and aimed at people who have already played fate/extra

I played all the three routes of F/E and was confused at that anime from start to finish

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
last encore was the "oh thank god, shaft is still alive" anime to me. nothing made sense but at least the SHAFTing was SHAFT. but you'd think with them of all people they'd bring on saito chiwa

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Plutonis posted:

I played all the three routes of F/E and was confused at that anime from start to finish

tbh yeah

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Bakanogami posted:

They started insisting that everything is in separate timelines some years back, and particularly that the balance of gaia and alaya or something is different between Tsukihime worlds and Fate worlds, so that heroic spirits can't be summoned in Tsukihime worlds, and the 27 DAAs don't exist as an organization in Fate worlds. (Though some do as individuals) This is still being backed up, based on some of the stuff I've seen from Saber's story mode in the new Melty Blood. Roa talks about how ghost liners had only been theorized about and so on.

They've never really said exactly where the divergence point between Tsukihime and Fate is afaik, but we do know that it was quite far back. Blackmore is alive in the present as one of the 27 DAAs in Tsukihime, but according to Case Files, he's been dead for nearly 2000 years in the Fate timeline. I think the main theory is that the fight between Zelretch and Crimson Moon in 300 AD either didn't happen or went differently?

That's what I heard as well. But there are 100% works that break this rule. Fate/Strange Fake feels like one of them. Shame about the release schedule.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

It rules OP.

It won't make any sense, like, ever. But it rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW3LAJrZoQ0

Omg that’s Nero? Suddenly Nero in fgo is a lot more coherent to me.

I’m liking Extra a whole lot.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

strange fake can do whatever it wants because narita rules

also it had a big delay because he was literally hospitalized for awhile

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Strange Fake sucks because nobody is there to tell Narita to stop adding new poo poo instead of resolving the huge pile of preexisting poo poo.

Also I find a lot of its ideas to be dumb but that's more of a personal opinion.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kyte posted:

Strange Fake sucks because nobody is there to tell Narita to stop adding new poo poo instead of resolving the huge pile of preexisting poo poo.

Sounds like a Narita work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Last Encore blows and it's a shame since I'd love a real Extra adaptation.