Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Family Guy had an entire 7 minutes about the history of the doors.

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm being entirely serious when I say that tracks with their target audience.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

2nd part was all about Muddy Waters.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TV is OVER

https://twitter.com/thehousered/status/1445088273102213129

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Wow. I know there's a lot of solidarity in entertainment-related unions (I have a couple of friends who are active IATSE workers), but getting 98% of people to agree on anything seems impossible.

Hope everyone has a nice backlog queued up!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

So many video games.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Cool. Now let's get the effects industry to unionize

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

And production assistants!

Fun fact: The Directors Guild of America encompasses not only directors and assistant directors (the two most different jobs in the entire industry), but also Unit Production Managers, which is one step below Line Producer (and sometimes the LP is the UPM). Guess which role has a fundamental, built-in opposition to paying PAs a living wage and enforcing the DGA guild regulations (i.e. making it so that PAs don't perform AD duties).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/HeheWaitWhut/status/1444055367458045956

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The IATSE voted to approve a strike, but they're acting like there is still room for negotiating.

If it falls through, though, it looks like even the networks' fallback of game shows are gonna be affected by this. Yeah, game shows have been notoriously open shops since old man goodson's day, but they still have to have a union stagehand crank the mountain climber up the mountain whenever some dork is off by $500 on the price of an electric mixer.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 4, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Strikes are great and all, but this isn't gonna effect better call Saul is it?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Strikes are great and all, but this isn't gonna effect better call Saul is it?

:thermidor:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Keep in mind that they voted to authorize a strike, they haven't gone on strike yet. It's possible (however remote) that the threat will be enough so that they won't actually have to.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They should just give into the demands and avoid the strike, seems easy and makes everyone happy.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!
But then the conglemerate's profits won't grow as large for a quarter

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, they can always get theirs back when they lobby Biden to strip away union rights.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Khanstant posted:

They should just give into the demands and avoid the strike, seems easy and makes everyone happy.

But we simply have no idea if streaming video, sorry, "New Media" can be successful or profitable and the unions need to take a pay cut until we can get this all sorted out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/bown/status/1445258939311042566?s=21

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Anyone see "La Brea?"

It was mildly entertaining so far.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I coulda sworn that there was a Midnight Mass thread, I wanna talk about how nobody on Stephen King Island ever heard of a drat vampire

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pillowpants posted:

Anyone see "La Brea?"

It was mildly entertaining so far.

I'm just hoping they up the cgi budget to like $20 so the effects are better

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zUziQSnFYg

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Way more nudity than I was expecting in the last episode of Y for an FX show.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Monkey dong?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Topless women.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Topless women.

But not very male gazy at all.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

So I read the Rolling Stone review of Midnight Mass and they made it sound pretty interesting. Is it actually good, and would I be able to enjoy it if I'm generally a big chicken when it comes to horror fare?

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
I enjoyed Midnight Mass but I wouldn't really call it "scary". Some mild gore but it's more just blood.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Midnight Mass starts with an incredibly graphic close up on a head wound accident victim

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The United States posted:

Midnight Mass starts with an incredibly graphic close up on a head wound accident victim

It's not that graphic tbh. It's a little bit more than "mild" but not too much IMO.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Hmm ok I don't really have a problem with gore. Maybe I'll check it out.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's not that graphic tbh. It's a little bit more than "mild" but not too much IMO.
It's at night and fairly dark but a chunk of her head is just straight up gone.

It's not the usual horror movie buckets of blood but it's much more realistic and thus much more unsettling.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Goddamn Heels is a great show. Gunna be real sad when it turns into an unexpected “one and done” mini-series. That Starz ineptitude where you just expect a hot show right out of the gate and don’t let anything grow or anything like that.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Heels is great! Stephen Amell and Alexander Ludwig play their parts excellently; same for Mary McCormack and Kelli Berglund.

The dude who plays Wild Bill Hancock is the perfect portrayal of a Hogan-esque old guy who is still chasing glory.

Punk looked like he had a lot of fun in his limited role, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GzSReTV02g

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Anybody watch Dave C’s new special?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I got annoyed by the lack of wrestling on Heels

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

there was a heels thread that died on sept 21 and everyone posting in it said the show was relentlessly negative and they all hated it so i figured it sucked. weird to see conversation about it being good pop up here 2 weeks later randomly

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Heels great? Far from it for me. To me it is more on the level of when SoA was decent. To be honest one of my biggest issues with Heels is almost nothing feels organic, that everything feels pushed to be melodramatic. It is very soap operay. Also the acting is very hit and miss. Still it is fun show to watch and I do enjoy it (I haven't watched the most recent episode yet).

God if I have to hear that wife play one more awful song. I just want someone to take her guitar away and smash it into a 1,000 pieces.

Edit: In high school I dated a girl and her dad wrestled in several leagues like the one presented in Heels. I use to go to shows sometimes and random former big time wrestlers would be on the card (Dirty White Boy, Rock n Roll Express, Road Warriors, etc.). One cool thing is he use to wrestle in a league ran by Angelo Poffo, and I got to meet Randy Savage (Poffo is Randy's dad) when he came to town. That said in my limited experience with independent wrestling it is a lot more gritter than Heels is even coming close to. Heels glosses over a lot of the negative parts of it in their attempts to make it heart felt. Yes they do show bad stuff, but it is done in such a melodramatic way that it feels detached from reality (more like drama for the sake of having drama). Also Heels especially puts on rose colored glasses when it comes to fans and support in a small southern town. I know not everything needs to be as depressing as The Wrestler, but what is Heels is showing is almost a fantasy land for a small town independent league that never travels. Only reason I say this is I was hoping for something a little more real than what Heels is giving us.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 6, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Mr. Only Does Horror On Netflix Now is following up midnight mass with a limited Fall of the House of Usher series

https://deadline.com/2021/10/mike-f...lix-1234850599/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Heels has way more nudity than I expected, and a pretty graphic sex scene to boot.

e: the guy who plays the Florida Wrestling Dystopia promoter was the host of Guts :stare:

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 6, 2021