Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
I dunno, the little bit I've played of it has been much better than i remember EQ1 or Anarchy Online being. For the era it might've been the best MMO on the market. Definitely hard to get into now though but it's the last mainline game in the series I haven't played and my goal is to beat them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bruceski posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTIwBDNDO4M

Worst sound in the world. Well, second after the Sonic drowning music.

It sounds like a downer version of the Ehrgiez menu sound.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Evil Fluffy posted:

FFXI was an extremely bad MMO whose defenders wear the thickest, rosiest glasses imaginable and it's not at all surprising that FFXIV 1.0 was an unmitigated trainwreck of a game when you look at all the issues FFXI had.

FFXI had issues for sure, but people generally forget that it predates all of the QoL that WOW brought to the table when it reinvented the genre, and by the standards of the day FFXI was actually more player friendly than many of its contemporaries (some of the horror stories my EQ1 and Star wars playing friends had to tell me are way more extreme than what ffxi players put up with)

Also idk what oatmeal brained yokels you're talking to but most of us will laughingly look back at how awful some of its design decisions were from a modern lens

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 5, 2021

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

XI is by no means actively looking to attract new players so it barely attempts to be approachable. It's definitely a museum piece you play to experience it, and not blind.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Oh yeah I forgot Galaxies, the hoops you had to jump through to play a jedi (which is why I even bought the game in the first place) were ridiculous and took people like 3 years to figure out. I never did figure it out and I kinda hated every second of that game I played. Tried it again later when they turned it into a crappy action rpg and it was a little better but everyone was gone by then.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Oh yeah I forgot Galaxies, the hoops you had to jump through to play a jedi (which is why I even bought the game in the first place) were ridiculous and took people like 3 years to figure out. I never did figure it out and I kinda hated every second of that game I played. Tried it again later when they turned it into a crappy action rpg and it was a little better but everyone was gone by then.

Galaxies at launch was immaculate you philistine

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

My sister worked endlessly to become a jedi for months on end and I remember her descent into madness trying to do it. If I remember right you had to master a certain set of classes on your character, but the game wouldn't tell you which ones? So you might end up leveling a bunch of classes you had no interest in and still not be a jedi. Then at some point they changed the requirements, which made all of her effort leveling random poo poo a complete waste so she quit and moved onto WoW

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I was scrolling through the eShop and noticed there's a bundle for Voice of Cards, curious what's in the bundle I checked it out and it's mostly just extra presentation options. Like, there's one you can get that turns the combat board into a Grimoire Weiss themed board, and a couple of themes and costumes based on Emil. The only one I found interesting is there's one called Devola's Music.

It's 8 bucks extra to buy the bundle with the game but you can buy the things separately too, the bundle doesn't interest me enough to get it though I might buy the music later.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The people that I know who play XI now are usually like "yeah I know it's a terrible game but I can't help myself" and yeah, that sounds right to me.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Fuligin posted:

Galaxies at launch was immaculate you philistine

Galaxies at launch was buggy and unbalanced as gently caress, what? The crafting and resource gathering was amazing, though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

seiferguy posted:

The people that I know who play XI now are usually like "yeah I know it's a terrible game but I can't help myself" and yeah, that sounds right to me.

It’s absolutely the chillest MMO on the market today. Primary gameplay is running across the world, perching up in a spot, and slowly killing a fuckload of monsters with your buddy NPCs. Then, when the monsters aren’t worth it anymore, you run across the world, perch up in a spot, and slowly kill a fuckload of monsters.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

jokes posted:

It’s absolutely the chillest MMO on the market today. Primary gameplay is running across the world, perching up in a spot, and slowly killing a fuckload of monsters with your buddy NPCs. Then, when the monsters aren’t worth it anymore, you run across the world, perch up in a spot, and slowly kill a fuckload of monsters.

when I finish the msq for ffxiv I'm pretty tempted to go back to ffxi for this exact gameplay loop. For everything that ffxiv does right, my biggest criticism is that so very very little of my time spent in it is what I would actually call fun gameplay. The fetch quests and cutscenes that are obvious padding are starting to feel like chores in the way of getting to see the cool set piece dungeons and actually play with other players. Mostly I just wanna fight stuff and gently caress around with weird builds, and thats a significant portion of ffxi's gameplay by design

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Highly recommend anyone lucky/unfortunate enough to remember old MMOs that they were really great at presenting a dangerous, strange world to explore and gently caress around in, and FFXI has gotten so much more accessible and chill.

I am absolutely not saying that FFXI is accessible in the slightest. In fact I am saying the exact opposite. But it has gotten a lot more accessible and if you have memories of that era of gaming and/or a lot of patience, it’s a very good way to spend a rainy weekend particularly if you have a sizable amount of marijuana. If you play it and nothing else you can easily beat vanilla FFXI (defeat the dark lord) in a weekend without talking to or dealing with anyone else, and it’s still a very challenging and good time. Fighting through the “final” dungeon with a group of NPC buddies and defeating the dark lord is just plain a good time.

jokes fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 5, 2021

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

pretty soft girl posted:

My sister worked endlessly to become a jedi for months on end and I remember her descent into madness trying to do it. If I remember right you had to master a certain set of classes on your character, but the game wouldn't tell you which ones? So you might end up leveling a bunch of classes you had no interest in and still not be a jedi. Then at some point they changed the requirements, which made all of her effort leveling random poo poo a complete waste so she quit and moved onto WoW

You had to master at least one profession and one combat class I think. Then you had to go to obscure places on the map and complete difficult tasks to earn badges. Even if you knew what to do it was like 8 months at least to grind through all the steps. Then you had to hide your status from other players because there was a bounty system with harsh penalties for a jedi getting killed by bounty hunting players.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Old MMO's had absolutely terrible game design, mostly because they were kinda uncharted territory and no one really knew what the hell to do besides maybe looking at MUDs of old, but there's also a lot of charm in just how chaotic everything was, and how everything being out to get you kinda encouraged a sense of community. It's a weird thing, it's definitely better overall that MMOs are more accessible to people and don't have to be as massive a time sink, but you also don't get those crazy unique early experiences that you got with early MMOs.

Of course my experience was player-run Ultima Online servers, never played EQ or FF11 and basically my entire MMO experience is that, a bit of LotRO, and 2.0-era FF14, so I'm kinda speaking out my rear end a bit since I'm not a big MMO guy.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Star Wars Galaxies was really good at what it wanted to be, it was just that very few people were looking to play a Star Wars game and not at least have the option to be a Jedi.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Mega64 posted:

Old MMO's had absolutely terrible game design, mostly because they were kinda uncharted territory and no one really knew what the hell to do besides maybe looking at MUDs of old, but there's also a lot of charm in just how chaotic everything was, and how everything being out to get you kinda encouraged a sense of community. It's a weird thing, it's definitely better overall that MMOs are more accessible to people and don't have to be as massive a time sink, but you also don't get those crazy unique early experiences that you got with early MMOs.

Of course my experience was player-run Ultima Online servers, never played EQ or FF11 and basically my entire MMO experience is that, a bit of LotRO, and 2.0-era FF14, so I'm kinda speaking out my rear end a bit since I'm not a big MMO guy.

It's unfortunate that the parts that generally made old MMOs immersive were the extremely bad game design choices. It's hard to make a world feel especially dangerous or expansive if there's no real consequences to dying, no difficulty of travel, every mechanic is explicitly explained, and you don't need other people's help. However, I'm in my mid 30s with a full time job now and even if they could bring back 2007 era FFXI with a full player base today, I probably wouldn't bother. My response to de-leveling and being sent back half way around the world in ffxi when I was 16 was "gently caress", today it would be "gently caress this"

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Yeah I'm not quite to the level where you start losing experience but even getting sent back to Bastok from the Konsacht Highlands is like a 20 minute walk and it's incredibly irritating

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The survival guides are useless too because there's no way you're gonna have 1000 gil at the beginning of the game

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I see you never got the tip to spend some of your sparks on acheron shields to sell and pad your gil wallet. (Also you can use tabs from the grounds objectives to teleport)

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Yeah I'm not quite to the level where you start losing experience but even getting sent back to Bastok from the Konsacht Highlands is like a 20 minute walk and it's incredibly irritating

I wanna say at one point they upped the movement speed too so 2003 era FFXI this run was probably gonna take even longer. With how big gustaberg is (iirc it was the only starter zone where you had to run through two areas to get to the next tier zone) and how dangerous stuff like lizard poison and sapling slow are to a low level character, im pretty sure I lost at least an entire couple days of my life just to running from bastok to konchstat in the early days

I think in those days though the novelty of an mmo was still strong enough that being sent back like that was less annoying because there was so much to see and do and all these people are around to talk to and even if I just got knocked on my rear end I can mess with some stuff in town, maybe I'll try crafting out with these fancy crystals I found? Holy poo poo that dude's got relic armor, oh man a samurai I've never seen one of those before, etc etc

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My problem ended up being that getting Playonline going again etc. was so onerous that I was just out of energy to start loving with Windower and the various QoL mods, etc., and the base game is still really, really difficult to navigate. I spent several years playing FFXI but I just couldn't get back into it again.

The whole bit posted above about how Trusts are the easy and standard way to level now, but they're hidden in menus and the game actually just still points you to the original crappy starter quests...I dunno, I think I dodge a bullet, especially with Endwalker on the horizon.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

pretty soft girl posted:

I wanna say at one point they upped the movement speed too so 2003 era FFXI this run was probably gonna take even longer. With how big gustaberg is (iirc it was the only starter zone where you had to run through two areas to get to the next tier zone) and how dangerous stuff like lizard poison and sapling slow are to a low level character, im pretty sure I lost at least an entire couple days of my life just to running from bastok to konchstat in the early days

I think in those days though the novelty of an mmo was still strong enough that being sent back like that was less annoying because there was so much to see and do and all these people are around to talk to and even if I just got knocked on my rear end I can mess with some stuff in town, maybe I'll try crafting out with these fancy crystals I found? Holy poo poo that dude's got relic armor, oh man a samurai I've never seen one of those before, etc etc

Yeah except I screwed myself because I set my home point to the dunes (as i was told this is the best place to level starting at 11) but I neglected to buy the map before leaving so it's either spend almost 2 hours making the round trip trek to Bastok and return to the Dunes or wander around in the dark trying to find the city in the dunes while getting owned by high level mobs every 15 steps.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah except I screwed myself because I set my home point to the dunes (as i was told this is the best place to level starting at 11) but I neglected to buy the map before leaving so it's either spend almost 2 hours making the round trip trek to Bastok and return to the Dunes or wander around in the dark trying to find the city in the dunes while getting owned by high level mobs every 15 steps.

A lot of the old advice of good places to level is no longer applicable - it was based around things like easy to gather and find other players (irrelevant with trusts), not terribly draining on MP resources (irrelevant with trusts so long as you can last the 5 minute resummon cooldown), and getting big exp per kill rather than big exp per hour. (This last one was pervasive and lasted an embarrassingly large number of years.)

On top of that, baseline exp per kill has been boosted - it used to be that only mobs well above your level were worth a drat for experience, and anything below your level gave an insulting trickle. Now mobs give meaningful chunks of experience when they're well below your level, so long as they're not so far below that you get absolutely nothing. (But at that point they also stop aggroing, so, tradeoff.)

Or to put it more simply - go for fast kills of wimpy things in Konschtat. Focus on the bees near the giant gently caress-off crag, you'll need three of their drops for the early Rhapsodies of Vana'diel mission that (after a few cutscenes) gets you the Rhapsodies in White key item, which gives a lot of permanent benefits:

+30% experience
+100% skillup rate
50% cost for all the buffs you could spend tabs on with Fields of Valor
20% cost (80% reduction) for survival guide and home point warps, which will now be 200 and 100 gil respectively
Ability to summon a fourth trust (a later RoV key item will unlock the fifth)
Curio moogles (Bastok's is near the Port Bastok mog house) start selling all sorts of useful poo poo (and their inventory expands further with more mission progress)

Along the way you'll also get a key item that will freely unlock your subjob at level 18, without having to grind out rarer drops from harder enemies old-school style. (When people say the game's become more accessible, Rhapsodies of Vana'diel is a significant part of that.)

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Dear God I loving hate Necron in alternate fantasy.

Grand Cross would be okay if you had a way to remove all status effects (esuna and remedies don't do all) on at least one character but you can't so if you get hit with two debilitating effects you have to waste two turns clearing them.

By that point necron will throw out another grand cross and either somebody gets hit with death or critical hp.

Oh and they cast regen and curaga now so they can easily undo any damage you made.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

Dear God I loving hate Necron in alternate fantasy.

Grand Cross would be okay if you had a way to remove all status effects (esuna and remedies don't do all) on at least one character but you can't so if you get hit with two debilitating effects you have to waste two turns clearing them.

By that point necron will throw out another grand cross and either somebody gets hit with death or critical hp.

Oh and they cast regen and curaga now so they can easily undo any damage you made.

In a mod that is generally much, much easier than Unleashed, Necron is about equal to Unleashed Necron in how ridiculously hard he is.

I never beat him so all I can do is wish you luck. Try to have Eiko to Dispel that Regen immediately is all I can remember.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Is Dissidia FFOO worth playing nowadays? I checked it out early on because I was traveling and had a hankering for some FF stuff that didn't require a console, and while it was enjoyable enough for a while I very quickly got burnt out on the "the only way to progress is to grind out this exact same boss like 100 times a week" stuff. Is it better about that now? I know I can't expect too much from a free to play mobile game, but it would be nice to have a decent option available to kill some time when I'm away from home.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So ever since I discovered the official FFX Timeline and learned Braska's Calm lasted less than a year, I've just assumed previous Calms were longer, like Yunalesca's lasted for centuries. But as pointed out by somebody on Reddit, this isn't really stated anywhere. The fact there were centuries between her defeating Sin and Gandof doing the same doesn't mean Sin didn't come back immediately. It just took hundreds of years to beat it again.. Maybe all Calms last only a year or so.

But God I hope that isn't true. That would just be totally unbelievable storytelling. People have been giving their lives and their loved ones' lives for less than a year of peace? I don't buy it. I think it makes more sense in the abstract and more sense in the context of the story if Calms have just gotten progressively shorter as Yu Yevon and the Fayth deteriorate and weaken. They've been doing this for a 1,000 years, they're "tired" and the whole thing is unraveling as they lose themselves. So Calms getting shorter and shorter with time is my "headcanon" to use a phrase so nerdy I don't much like it.

In FFIX Unleasehd news, I finally got the Demon's Mail and beat Tantarian. Now I need to grind for a bit before proceeding to Oeilvert and Desert Palace. Steiner and Freya are hurting for levels and I need to learn more Blue Magic for Quina. I'm thinking I might take Garnet to Oeilvert so her drat "Dagger can't concentrate!" doesn't hurt me in the real dungeon. Also she has Chemist so she can at least throw around healing items.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 6, 2021

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Nikkolas, have you had success in getting Moguri to work with other mods or are you just going with it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So ever since I discovered the official FFX Timeline and learned Braska's Calm lasted less than a year, I've just assumed previous Calms were longer, like Yunalesca's lasted for centuries. But as pointed out by somebody on Reddit, this isn't really stated anywhere. The fact there were centuries between her defeating Sin and Gandof doing the same doesn't mean Sin didn't come back immediately. It just took hundreds of years to beat it again.. Maybe all Calms last only a year or so.

But God I hope that isn't true. That would just be totally unbelievable storytelling. People have been giving their lives and their loved ones' lives for less than a year of peace? I don't buy it. I think it makes more sense in the abstract and more sense in the context of the story if Calms have just gotten progressively shorter as Yu Yevon and the Fayth deteriorate and weaken. They've been doing this for a 1,000 years, they're "tired" and the whole thing is unraveling as they lose themselves. So Calms getting shorter and shorter with time is my "headcanon" to use a phrase so nerdy I don't much like it.

In FFIX Unleasehd news, I finally got the Demon's Mail and beat Tantarian. Now I need to grind for a bit before proceeding to Oeilvert and Desert Palace. Steiner and Freya are hurting for levels and I need to learn more Blue Magic for Quina. I'm thinking I might take Garnet to Oeilvert so her drat "Dagger can't concentrate!" doesn't hurt me in the real dungeon. Also she has Chemist so she can at least throw around healing items.

My dude in our current world people are 100% willing to sacrifice their loved ones so they don't have to wear a mask to Starbucks.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

But God I hope that isn't true. That would just be totally unbelievable storytelling. People have been giving their lives and their loved ones' lives for less than a year of peace? I don't buy it.

There is an unskippable cutscene where Tidus says exactly what you did and is told, quite explicitly why it's important that someone fight to bring even a small measure of peace to the world. it's kind of a huge theme and component to the overall tone and Yuna's characterization throughout the game.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 6, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its not like there is a Sin vaccine.

Honestly to me the unbelievable part of the story is Yunalesca just telling them the truth barely prompted, but at the same time she's been doing this so long she's probably bored or forget she shouldn't do that.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1445558223583383562?s=20
More pixels please

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

By the time summoners meet yunelesca they're probably so deep in they're either gonna do the whole thing anyways, or yunelesca will just Merc them. And considering how many people get walled at her, it's not an unfair assumption.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

There is an unskippable cutscene where Tidus says exactly what you did and is told, quiet explicitly why it's important that someone fight to bring even a small measure of peace to the world. it's kind of a huge theme and component to the overall tone and Yuna's characterization throughout the game.

I remember that scene. It's a great moment.

I think most people would agree stopping a monster from killing everybody for a few years is worth all the trouble and loss of the Pilgrimage. But a few measly months? Little Cali is running around overjoyed and her mom is really looking forward to the Calm so her daughter can sleep soundly for one month?

Sin attacks aren't that common. People can sleep soundly for a month even with it around.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Nikkolas, have you had success in getting Moguri to work with other mods or are you just going with it

I couldn't get Moguri to work at all. It just would not install no matter what version I tried to use. As much as I like it, I'm here for gameplay so I just loaded up the PSX eversion with the Unleashed mod.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I think most people would agree stopping a monster from killing everybody for a few years is worth all the trouble and loss of the Pilgrimage. But a few measly months? Little Cali is running around overjoyed and her mom is really looking forward to the Calm so her daughter can sleep soundly for one month?

Sin attacks aren't that common. People can sleep soundly for a month even with it around.

I couldn't get Moguri to work at all. It just would not install no matter what version I tried to use. As much as I like it, I'm here for gameplay so I just loaded up the PSX eversion with the Unleashed mod.

I think gameplay mods generally don't work with Moguri, Alternate Fantasy has a special version for compatibility. I was hoping you had something I didn't!

I had wanted to try that David Bowie Edition (I think a goon made it?) but at this point I just can't play without Moguri

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

Except no they cannot because eventually Sin Will Come. That's something the story and characters in the world hit over and over and over. It is as inevitable as the weather. The people of spira live in a state of constantly death and rebuilding that they cannot possibly hope to escape. Except the Summoners. The entire point of the summoners' journey is to give people any semblance of hope that maybe one day this oppression of inevitable death by God Whale or the army of monsters that cascade off its body constantly may come to an end.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

think these are just FFRK sprite rips lol

That said the FFRK sprite work is great and I have no loving clue why they don't just use it for everything

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ImpAtom posted:

My dude in our current world people are 100% willing to sacrifice their loved ones so they don't have to wear a mask to Starbucks.
Maybe they don't want their loved ones to have heart attacks after getting a vaccine that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
They are, got them from spriters-resource.