Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah it felt like two turns after each fight started the entire battlefield would be made of flaming poison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I agree that turn based games like that an x-com could really be a bit snappier about turns and actions playing out. Its why i never finished fallout 2, there are times where you would wait like 4 minutes for all the mooks to stop moving so you could get a chance to miss a few times and start the next turn.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I definitely turned the difficuly of DOS2 down cuz I couldn't deal with having to replay every 30 minute encounter multiple timees

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Also some of disco elysiums "bad writing" is in service of mocking itself

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I can't think of any bad writing in Disco Elysium.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

It's been almost two years since I played DE but I struggle to remember anything really impatful or emotionally resonant about the story. It was well written but the story wasn't that engaging.

Maybe I need to replay it now that the final cut is out or maybe I'm just a dummy.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

lobsterminator posted:

It's been almost two years since I played DE but I struggle to remember anything really impatful or emotionally resonant about the story. It was well written but the story wasn't that engaging.

Maybe I need to replay it now that the final cut is out or maybe I'm just a dummy.

the grand finale to the cryptid investigation is a great, memorable moment

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I remember one screenshot came up to attempt to criticise it, and it's like, from the actual ending of the game and nowhere near representative of what 99% of the game is actually like. Pretty common with goon criticism, mind.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

If we're talking about RPGs and not pure tactics games, then the most important thing for me is that the combat is fast. It doesn't have to be "deep", I just don't want to waste too much time with trashmobs.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

KonvexKonkav posted:

If we're talking about RPGs and not pure tactics games, then the most important thing for me is that the combat is fast. It doesn't have to be "deep", I just don't want to waste too much time with trashmobs.

Earthbound letting you auto-win encounters against low level enemies was such a revelation.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

lobsterminator posted:

Maybe you should try to be more of a huge fuckup in your life over many years and become a parody of your own alcoholic carcass so you can finally "get" DE

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

is pepsi ok posted:

Earthbound letting you auto-win encounters against low level enemies was such a revelation.

Paper Mario and SMRPG too, Nintendo seems to get something others don't.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

KonvexKonkav posted:

I'm a big fan of Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 and the Infinity engine games because of this. Baldur's Gate 3 is gonna be Divinity style combat, and I don't want Deep Fights with everything. I want my party to just plow through low level enemies and micromanage the difficult ones.

Vic fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 6, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
They should remake earthbound so that all the people who arnt clouded by nostalgia can see what the fuss is about

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

fridge corn posted:

Also some of disco elysiums "bad writing" is in service of mocking itself

People who use phrases like "bad writing" to criticize stuff have no business criticizing "bad writing"

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

People who use phrases like "bad writing" to criticize stuff have no business criticizing "bad writing"

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Fire Emblem Three Houses had pretty bad writing it had that real "insert [fantasy name]" vibe to it, thats really what shows through most to me when people talk about Bad Writing. it it feels like I could have just swapped out the names with something from another fantasy series in a low effort "who the gently caress cares" kind of way

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
despite all the huge bugs i'm enjoying "wastelands 3" enough to play through it a second time.
"steamworld: heist" is very much worth a look too
of course i also rubbed my eyes after cutting a jalapeno so maybe just ignore me

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember one screenshot came up to attempt to criticise it, and it's like, from the actual ending of the game and nowhere near representative of what 99% of the game is actually like. Pretty common with goon criticism, mind.

what's the bad line? someone else brought it up too

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

They should remake earthbound so that all the people who arnt clouded by nostalgia can see what the fuss is about

Everything that was old about earthbound now was old about it when it was new.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

roomtone posted:

what's the bad line? someone else brought it up too

If I remember it's just a screenshot of end dialogue where Kim outlines everything to your partner from the 41st and I think there was a typo and people took issue with the use of *asterixes* and wordiness of it. But it's the biggest block of text in the game and serves to fill in for what would be a cut scene in any other game so it's a weird thing to take out of context.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Oh right,, there was some guy who had a multi-page meltdown about the PUNCTUATION AND FORMATTING NOT FOLLOWING THE RULES :qq:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
PEOPLE DON'T TALK LIKE THAT! It's bad! BAD I TELL YOU!

Bushido Blade is one of the most fun fighting games I've ever played and more games should have a suicide button.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Everything that was old about earthbound now was old about it when it was new.

It didn't sell great at the time for a reason, and the re-release on WiiU sure as hell didn't reveal some secret audience for it.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The guy who made earthbound makes really nice day planners

https://www.1101.com/store/techo/en/

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kntfkr posted:

PEOPLE DON'T TALK LIKE THAT! It's bad! BAD I TELL YOU!

Bushido Blade is one of the most fun fighting games I've ever played and more games should have a suicide button.

Any score attack game should have an instant kill yourself and attempt again button.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

this doesn't actually make sense

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Intelligent Qube is an amazing and one of a kind puzzler. I keep meaning to download it and go back and get in on that cube busting action. It's scoring system is just called IQ points or something, and when I was a kid I got mad at it if I played poorly because it said I had a low IQ. More games should own their players like that

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

hawowanlawow posted:

It does.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Doctor J Off posted:

Intelligent Qube is an amazing and one of a kind puzzler. I keep meaning to download it and go back and get in on that cube busting action. It's scoring system is just called IQ points or something, and when I was a kid I got mad at it if I played poorly because it said I had a low IQ. More games should own their players like that

This. Been meaning to track down a copy of the game for my PS1 collection. Though I played the game as a demo that came with my PS1 at the time, I remember being hooked from the first game.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Archer666 posted:

This. Been meaning to track down a copy of the game for my PS1 collection. Though I played the game as a demo that came with my PS1 at the time, I remember being hooked from the first game.

Hell yeah, I also had it on a demo disc. I think RayStorm was on the same demo disc and also Bushido Blade. Legendary demo disc imo.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

hawowanlawow posted:

Imagine somebody reviewing a movie by going "Picture movie be moving no good" and expecting others to nod in agreement while repeating "the picture movie be moving no good indeed"

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 6, 2021

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Doctor J Off posted:

its really funny when games own players, like I saw people get legitimately mad that wolfenstein had the temerity to make fun of them for playing on easy by showing BJ in a baby outfit

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Yo Intelligent Qube is on the playstation classic which I think is pretty much free if you can find it at retail these days. I got one for $25 at the mall.

Speaking of playstation classic, I've heard it is very easy to hack. I've never done anything like it before but I'm considering just following the steps and putting every PS1 game on it and getting an 8bitdo dongle to make it work with the ps4 controller.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Also today I learned that the Cho Aniki series soundtracks all slap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl890jPxhVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am9hCZtbH8A

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I played an old version of Fritz Chess where the AI was voiced by a human who would openly mock you throughout the game. And when it eventually ran out of voice samples it would just start playing a “ticking clock” sound anytime you took more than 5 seconds to make a move—even on untimed games.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

steinrokkan posted:

Imagine somebody reviewing a movie by going "Picture movie be moving no good" and expecting others to nod in agreement while repeating "the picture movie be moving no good indeed"

If it has a framerate of 15 fps and stuff randomly popping in and out of existence frame to frame that would be a perfectly valid, if grammatically improper, criticism.

You don't need to write an essay highlighting exactly why something is bad in order to say it's bad.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

If it has a framerate of 15 fps and stuff randomly popping in and out of existence frame to frame that would be a perfectly valid, if grammatically improper, criticism.

You don't need to write an essay highlighting exactly why something is bad in order to say it's bad.

The point is eloquence.

"Writing" could be anything you see in the game. What do you mean? Dialogue? Lore? Philosophy?

Is it good or bad because you agree or disagree?

You need to qualify when it comes to "writing".

Your analogy is bad because everyone agrees wonky framerate is bad.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Caesar Saladin posted:

I can't think of any bad writing in Disco Elysium.

someone was complaining about the use of *'s to indicate emphasis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Caesar Saladin posted:

its really funny when games own players, like I saw people get legitimately mad that wolfenstein had the temerity to make fun of them for playing on easy by showing BJ in a baby outfit

spec ops broke gamers brains by saying a bunch of things that were objectively true