Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Welcome to Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse, colloquially known as Fatal Frame 4! Zero: Tsukihami no Kamen is the fourth game in the popular Fatal Frame horror video game series, but this title has the unfortunate distinction of being the only one so far that never made it outside of Japan. It's a drat shame, too, because of all of the entries in the series so far, I think this one has the best story. Thankfully, fans released an English translation for FF4 back when the game was new, and if you had a homebrewed Wii console, you could play the entire game from beginning to end without needing to know any Japanese. The second I heard that this was happening nearly 13 years ago, I imported a copy of the game, because Fatal Frame is easily my favorite horror series.

Amy and I began a playthrough of Mask of the Lunar Eclipse a while back, but we ended up losing our save file, and we never finished it. Not only are we approaching the perfect time of the year for some spooky fun, but this is a personal thing for me, since I hate leaving games unfinished. Join us as we finally finish what we started, and with an updated English patch, to boot!

As far as spoilers go, it doesn't really matter for us, since we've both played through the game more than once already, but still tag them as spoilers for everyone else's sake. Thanks in advance!

We'll also be streaming our playthrough before it gets put up on YouTube in parts, just like we did with Road 96. Our aim is to stream on Monday evenings, ~7:30 p.m. Central U.S. Time. As always, our Twitch channel can be found right here. We'd love to see you!

(I'm aiming to upload episodes to YouTube on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I'm posting this thread early to link people to the stream, in case they want to watch live.)

EPISODE LINKS

Part 1: The ghost jiggles
Part 2: It's me, I'm full of business
Part 3: The flashlight is a camera now
Part 4: Die with no regrets of illegal research
Part 5: The Piggins Family
Part 6: I've never seen it move!
Part 7: Who am I?!
Part 8: Just a silly little detective
Part 9: Luna SeDATA, what a cruel misters
Part 10: Dang asbestos crystals
Part 11: Fightin' kids, fightin' kids!
Part 12: A perilous journey
Part 13: Evil Wizard Dad
Part 14 (Finale!): Misaluigi

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 1 is up now! Holy crap, guys, I didn't know how much I was ready for more Fatal Frame until we started playing this again. I'm so excited.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

But will this have tiddy ninja stealth sections? We need to be asking the real questions

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Seraphic Neoman posted:

But will this have tiddy ninja stealth sections? We need to be asking the real questions

I can confirm that the honor of tiddy ninja stealth is reserved only for the fifth game. You'll get to experience that in glorious 4K on the PC at the end of October, though!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 2 is up now! The second playable character gets introduced, and we're close to seeing the unique gameplay of character number 3!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 3 is up now! Everyone say hello to Detective Kirishima and his picture-taking flashlight!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Fatal Frame: Bird Watching Edition

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I was thinking about ya'll the other day. Glad to see you're still enjoying the horror games.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Fatal Frame: Bird Watching Edition

Would that make them ghost birds? Is this the final boss from The Ring?!

marshmallow creep posted:

I was thinking about ya'll the other day. Glad to see you're still enjoying the horror games.

Aw, I appreciate the thoughts. :-D And yeah, we'll never stop enjoying the horror!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Welp, part 4 is up now, and it has been since Thursday, but I forgot to make it public on YouTube. Wee.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 5 is up now, and on time, to boot!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Honestly as an LPer this was a mood

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 6 is up now! One of the coolest parts of this game the first time through gets extra creepy in this episode.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Honestly as an LPer this was a mood

This speaks to me.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Hey, everyone, no stream tonight, unfortunately. We're having major construction done at home and we don't have running water right now, so we're bailing on the place until we can pee again. We'll be back again next week!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 7 is up now! There were a few places where I got legitimately startled during this session.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I guess these ghosts want you to power-up your charge speed given how much they move around.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it certainly looks like it. I forgot how much they like to hide in the walls in this game.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 8 is up now! Everyone wanted more detective action, right? Also, I am immediately scared at the start of this episode.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

What you don't like moving around a dark set of corridors at 0.25x speed?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
I mean, it's not my favorite thing.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 9 is up now! It's all Kirishima this episode, so buckle up for some hardcore seeing in the dark!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 10 is up now! It's time to say goodbye to Misaki...

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm in awe of those sliding puzzle skills

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Isn't she great? 😁

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 11 is up now! Choushiro's future is looking bleak, and I don't think it's going to get better...

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 12 is up now, and it's time to say goodbye to our favorite flashlight-photo-taking detective.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 13 is up now! We've got one more episode after this, so hang on to your butts!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Some games are just a lot more fun to talk about than they are to actually play. See YIIK: A Postmodern RPG

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Some games are just a lot more fun to talk about than they are to actually play. See YIIK: A Postmodern RPG

Oh, yeah? That wasn't a fun one to play? I had my eye on that one, not worth it?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

pedrovay2003 posted:

Oh, yeah? That wasn't a fun one to play? I had my eye on that one, not worth it?

God no. We had two LPs of it and both kind of devolved into the LPers picking apart its failures.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Ha, welp. That's too bad, it looked like an interesting game. I'll have to find the LPs, though, they sound interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 14 is up now, ending our spooky journey across Rogetsu Island and through Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse. A huge thank you to everyone who stuck with us to the very end, and on a personal level, I'm super happy that we finished this game, so that I don't have to look at an unfinished playlist from the past anymore. Amy and I will be back, as usual, with another exciting game to run through. Take care, everyone!