Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

tsob posted:

Thanos with 3 infinity gems was also struggling with Tony Stark despite his own power being "nanomachines, son" and, more pertinently, with Dr. Strange. Who was using magic this episode to protect everyone else. So when Ultron with 5 gems tried to wipe everyone out much the way Thanos did, it didn't work. At which point, Thanos would have not only been stumped, but would probably have outright lost to several heroes like Carol or Thor, even with all the Stones in his hand, if snapping them out of existence didn't work.

Thanos used the stones creatively while Ultron just did blasty blasty and energy beams. Literally used the time stone once and it failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I mean the simplest answer is that Thanos knows how to fight and probably have been brawling for decades. Ultron may have raw power but even in the show he kinda sucks at punch em ups

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I did like how we got some advancement with all the other stories from this season.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

badjohny posted:

I think he ate the energy of ultron trying to destroy the galaxy

That makes sense, thanks.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Everyone posted:

I did like how we got some advancement with all the other stories from this season.

I really want to see the Tony on Sakaar one now.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Everyone posted:

I might have been disappointed if they came out of the gate and said "there will be an overarching multiverse spanning plot" which was true, but not what they sold it as. As it is, the fact we got something that tied it all together worked as a nice surprise.

I think they can build on this from here. Obviously there will be additional universes explored in future seasons but they've at least laid some groundwork to go from in the future not just that there's a multiverse, but that the heroes can and have moved between the universes. There's no way we've seen the last of Captain Carter, Party Thor, or hell probably Strange Supreme.

This might be a concept where future seasons will be better because of the groundwork they've laid (and seeing what works and what doesn't), but I do kind of feel like it would benefit from being an hour show instead of 30 mins.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Thundercracker posted:

I mean the simplest answer is that Thanos knows how to fight and probably have been brawling for decades. Ultron may have raw power but even in the show he kinda sucks at punch em ups

I always figured that the stones are ultimately limited by the device their used in. Like the Infinity Gauntlet is the perfect tool to rewrite the universe at will, but Hydra's WWII tech in the first Captain America could just use the space stone to fill guns with laser juice. So Vision's body with all six stones can move through multiverses and destroy planets easily, but still isn't as effective as the actual gauntlet.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Proteus Jones posted:

This was a pretty good ending to the season. Wasn't perfect, but it was satisfactory overall.

"Not you, Tony" - after a season of being killed and generally poo poo on, this made me literally LOL

The fight scenes were legit entertaining. the Sphere of Mjolnirs was hilarious, but a little disappointed with Zombie Scarlet Witch v. Infinite Ultron. Still think last episode's brawl was lights-out the best fight in the entire run.

I fully expected Uatu to end up stripped of his powers due to breaking his oath. Either it happening via the oath itself, or by being apprehended by others of his race. Kind of disappointed breaking his oath was consequence free (so far)

Something I kind of expected to happen at the end:

I expected the oath to only watch and observe be revealed to a variant of Kang or the Council of Kangs and the Watcher having to go to trial, to tie everything together more.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Liked it BUT a bit dissappointed my fan idea of Wanda zombie fighting Ultronvision was so short. :sigh: Still that was a good episode!

I do wonder who is going to be the big baddie for next season. I'm not very super versed in the comics so I can't think of anything

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
That was a great episode, easily the best of the season.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Bit sad that Apocalypse Peter, Scott, and T'challa didn't show up. Like just a scene of them suddenly wondering where all the zombies went to.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Finale was fun, my only real complaint is that the missing episode hurt it a lot

Honestly, Natasha has been done so much better in the last few episodes than ten years of the movies! I was wondering at the end if they were gonna plop alt-Widow into the main MCU but she's clearly better off anywhere else. I hope they bring her back for S2; they are almost certainly going to bring back Captain Carter for S2, so we could still see more of Zombies, post-Loki rule Earth, etc.

Also was I the only one excited to see Georges St-Pierre in the opening credits lol? The animation for all of the fights were good this episode, but the Batroc/Peggy fight was really slick.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Infinitum posted:

Great ep, solid end to the season.

Intro being literally Winter Soldiers intro is :kiss:
You can definitely tell they cut the Tony ends up on Sakaar ep

I loved that, too!

I wonder if they’ll rewrite any of the delayed episode to make up for the fact it’s out-of-sequence?

This was a lot of fun, I really want a behind-the-scenes video because it sounded like the actors were enjoying themselves.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I enjoyed it! But zombie Scarlet being so underused was a big letdown. I almost would have preferred if they were not included.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I kept waiting for carter to bring up the fact that Strange keeps summoning the same tentacle monster she fought in episode 1 but I guess theyre saving that for season 2

Also this episode should have been called what if Infinite Ultron fought Strange Supreme ft. The Guardians of the Multiverse cause Strange did a lot of the heavy lifting during that fight

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Away all Goats posted:

I kept waiting for carter to bring up the fact that Strange keeps summoning the same tentacle monster she fought in episode 1 but I guess theyre saving that for season 2

Also this episode should have been called what if Infinite Ultron fought Strange Supreme ft. The Guardians of the Multiverse cause Strange did a lot of the heavy lifting during that fight

There was definitely a reaction shot of her when he summoned them.

And outside of his bit at the end, what did Killmonger really do in the fight?

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010

kazil posted:

There was definitely a reaction shot of her when he summoned them.

And outside of his bit at the end, what did Killmonger really do in the fight?

Killmonger stole the stones so that Arnim Zola didn't have them.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

tragedyjones posted:

Which is exactly what I meant by "his bit at the end" without being spoilery for an episode that just came out.

I meant during the actual fight with Ultron

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tragedyjones posted:

That was his bit at the end. I didn't really see him play much of a part, honestly. I think he tried to Panther Claw Ultron a couple of times but that was pretty much it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Everyone posted:

That was his bit at the end. I didn't really see him play much of a part, honestly. I think he tried to Panther Claw Ultron a couple of times but that was pretty much it.

He was doing the same thing as Carter for most of the fight, hitting Ultron when he could and trying to keep Ultron distracted.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
Oh, my b. I just think he was stolen for his move there not for his ability to fight Ultron.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

tsob posted:

Thanos with 3 infinity gems was also struggling with Tony Stark despite his own power being "nanomachines, son" and, more pertinently, with Dr. Strange. Who was using magic this episode to protect everyone else. So when Ultron with 5 gems tried to wipe everyone out much the way Thanos did, it didn't work. At which point, Thanos would have not only been stumped, but would probably have outright lost to several heroes like Carol or Thor, even with all the Stones in his hand, if snapping them out of existence didn't work.

This Strange also spent centuries absorbing the energy of the nastiest monsters of his universe. And then he ate Ultron’s Galactus power too. And had his own Time Stone.

He is much more powerful than regular MCU Strange in Infinity War.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Zero One posted:

This Strange also spent centuries absorbing the energy of the nastiest monsters of his universe. And then he ate Ultron’s Galactus power too. And had his own Time Stone.

Ultron tried exploding the galaxy they were standing in and Strange absorbed it like he was swallowing a pill. He might actually be stronger than the Watcher at this point

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Zero One posted:

i was honestly surprised they went with that Strange also having a Time Stone, because it seems to open up the whole can of worms of "wouldn't Ultron be seeking out the Stones in other universes, if they're all just as powerful as the ones he has?"

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

eke out posted:

i was honestly surprised they went with that Strange also having a Time Stone, because it seems to open up the whole can of worms of "wouldn't Ultron be seeking out the Stones in other universes, if they're all just as powerful as the ones he has?"

He's intelligent, but he's not smart.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

eke out posted:

Just sitting around on a huge pile of infinity stones, all :smaug:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

also i wonder if there's an episode pushed back to season 2 with Gamora That Killed Thanos that would've explained the whole Stone Crusher (or whatever it was called) macguffin more, because the writing of this episode made it feel like they were re-introducing something we'd already seen earlier in the series

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

eke out posted:

also i wonder if there's an episode pushed back to season 2 with Gamora That Killed Thanos that would've explained the whole Stone Crusher (or whatever it was called) macguffin more, because the writing of this episode made it feel like they were re-introducing something we'd already seen earlier in the series

It was already announced that there was indeed one episode pushed to season 2. And it's clearly that one.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

There's even a Lego kit of Sakaar armour Tony, so that's clearly an episode that was delayed. It's just weird that the finale featured a character apparently from that episode and we're not going to get their origin until next year some time because of the delay.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Can we change thread title to MCU TV: Not you Stark

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Zero One posted:

I was fully expecting Steve to become the Winter Soldier.

I'm glad to see this is probably the direction they are going.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

swickles posted:

Can we change thread title to MCU TV: Not you, Stark

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
After that, I’m confused about the future of the MCU…

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

hosed up of the Watcher to kill Tony like that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Good episode overall but had a few misses here and there. Almost feels that if this was the direction they wanted to go, they should have pushed the finale back rather than the gamora and tony episodes and then expand the finale even more to give stuff like zombie wanda more time to shine. But then again the episode was good as was and god drat this Stephen loving rules. Dude is pretty much omnipotent at this point but also willing to play jailer and prisoner at the same time while also appreciating the power within him as both a blessing and a curse.

Would like to see more of him as middleman to the Watcher where he can be more active

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Veotax posted:

There's even a Lego kit of Sakaar armour Tony, so that's clearly an episode that was delayed. It's just weird that the finale featured a character apparently from that episode and we're not going to get their origin until next year some time because of the delay.

It's a multiverse where different timelines exist too I'm sure they'll figure out a way to make it work in the context of a new season.

If nothing else, a good rationalization is it shows you there's a lot more heroes he could pick from besides the ones you've seen throughout the season. He's watching a lot more than 8 universes.

The randomness of hulkbuster stark and gamora melting down the infinity gauntlet is almost better without any setup.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 7, 2021

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I wanted to see Captain Carter eschew the dick measuring contest with Batroc and just take him out quickly with the shield.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

if that last what if episode leads to an Exiles tv series i hella don't mind that

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Next season we need a “Oops, all Natashas” episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Marsupial Ape posted:

Next season we need a “Oops, all Natashas” episode.

Yeah, they didn't do any multiples of the same character this time around. That seems like an easy place to go for next time.