Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Sinteres posted:

I was going to say at least Nighthawks should be out soon, but I guess there's still no release date for that either.

Apparently he broke his wrist a few months ago and that's no doubt slowed him down considerably.

But he's only about eighteen months overdue on his initial release estimate (gotta love those overly optimistic Kickstarter timelines, lol). If he releases it in the next eighteen months that'd still be outperforming your average Kickstarter project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Soonmot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq2CVjnguFw

What have we been told about Swansong? I thought this was another interactive novel, but it looks like an action rpg maybe? Only a few seconds of gameplay footage where you see some platforming with celerity. If this is a set character, I am 100% pumped for it to be a black woman.

EMBRACE 👏 MORE 👏 BLACK👏 VAMPIRES

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Saying it now, if we don't hear anything substantive by the end of February (arbitrary, but a reasonable cutoff), it's time to start the process of getting a refund processed.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

StratGoatCom posted:

Saying it now, if we don't hear anything substantive by the end of February (arbitrary, but a reasonable cutoff), it's time to start the process of getting a refund processed.

I thought bloodlines 2 was already dead? Or was it just put on hiatus or somethin? Last I popped into the thread, something happened with the studio or a bit of news was released that basically pointed to it being a bad game. Is it still based from that development post from this feb?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

I thought bloodlines 2 was already dead? Or was it just put on hiatus or somethin? Last I popped into the thread, something happened with the studio or a bit of news was released that basically pointed to it being a bad game. Is it still based from that development post from this feb?

Technically it's gone quiet, but there's a good chance it's so they don't need to process the wave of refunds until the Vicky 3 stock bump hits, likely. The project's progress alone is enough to justify pulling one's money, I agree.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
But you see, the studio had to go through it's undeath before we get a legitimate vampire game.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

They do say that writers should write what they know…

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

At this point I'm not even sure Paradox knows
The quick summary is that the game was being developed by Hardsuit Labs. After several delays and presumably the studio not being able to convince Paradox they could deliver, the Bloodlines 2 project was taken from them somewhere late 2020/early 2021 and given to a different, unknown dev studio.
After that it's been radio silence for 7ish months, up until know when Paradox casually drops that Bloodlines 2 is still being worked. But they still haven't revealed who is actually working on it. So. :shrug:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Paradox's game plan in general seems to be mum about things. The book division(?) is also working on the fifth edition of Werewolf but that was also mysteriously yoinked from the developer group working on it, the YouTube video announcing their involvement was pulled down, the whole nine yards. When asked, Justin Achilli who is heading up the RPG (and was basically brought in to rescue it from the trash fire Martin Ericsson had turned things into) said it was being worked on but nothing beyond that.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Oh drat, I hadn't heard about W5 being pulled. Those devs seemed to have a good grasp of the hosed up stuff that needed to be changed from oWoD

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

CottonWolf posted:

They do say that writers should write what they know…
Vampire or gamedev, it's never a good idea to make stake holders angry.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

StratGoatCom posted:

Why wait? If something comes out and looks decent later, you can always buy it. They don't deserve to keep your money indefinitely, or even until February, while offering no details about what's going on. I don't really believe in preordering in the first place, though I'll make exceptions here and there for games I know I'll absolutely be playing on release like Endwalker, but this seems like a pretty clear cut situation where getting your money back is 100% justified.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I activate awe and recommend to check out episode 5 of LA by Night (season 5) that went live unalive today. :stare: X

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Every day I tell myself that Bloodlines 2 will never come out and that's the only thing keeping my heart from breaking.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Poil posted:

I activate awe and recommend to check out episode 5 of LA by Night (season 5) that went live unalive today. :stare: X

poo poo was wiiiiiiiild. Also liked that they almost outright told Jeanette that she's also Therese and was actually a bit annoyed that got rolled right over because that would have been a hell of a scene.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

joylessdivision posted:

poo poo was wiiiiiiiild. Also liked that they almost outright told Jeanette that she's also Therese and was actually a bit annoyed that got rolled right over because that would have been a hell of a scene.
Yes but I'm very certain they would all have died right there, possibly along with the other kindred, and they knew it.

Kinda disappointed in Delilah though.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Lol

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

lol also boo

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Goa Tse-tung posted:

lol also boo

Why are you booing this poster they are right!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

joylessdivision posted:

I wonder how that stacks up with the scene in the original if you go the extra mile and broker peace between the sisters. (Which you kind of want to do anyway since it's more XP. Although I guess if one is particularly thirsty you can settle for it being only Jeanette and come back to sleep with her now and then, by which I mean the screen goes dark and Grey DeLisle-Griffin makes hilarious grunting noises.)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Is LA by Night that you're all talking about the gringy vibing campaign on YouTube? Started watching the first chapter of that and just couldn't do it, they just talk so slowly and pause so much.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Is LA by Night that you're all talking about the gringy vibing campaign on YouTube? Started watching the first chapter of that and just couldn't do it, they just talk so slowly and pause so much.

Yes, we're talking about the most recent episode. The series starts slowly but the story is good and the characters are interesting. It's also being taken relatively seriously so it is slow at times.

Poil posted:

Yes but I'm very certain they would all have died right there, possibly along with the other kindred, and they knew it.

Kinda disappointed in Delilah though.

I agree about Delilah.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is what makes me nervous about running the tabletop game. It is not clear to me if you can play it without being a 90s mall goth.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Wacky Delly posted:

I want to believe. Also glad I resisted the urge to pre-order.

Me and the Blood Moon editions I preordered for the myself and the missus want to believe too. I have a visceral need for something I've preordered the fanciest edition of as a show of good faith to finally not suck after so many duds.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hexenritter posted:

Me and the Blood Moon editions I preordered for the myself and the missus want to believe too. I have a visceral need for something I've preordered the fanciest edition of as a show of good faith to finally not suck after so many duds.

You're basically giving a an interest free loan to a corporation. You would get better returns with an index fund.

Never pre-order anything.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

brap posted:

This is what makes me nervous about running the tabletop game. It is not clear to me if you can play it without being a 90s mall goth.

Depends, you don't have to run a game based in angst where evil wins because good is dumb and everything eventually just turns to poo poo. The setting lends itself to it if that's the game you want to run, but it's perfectly valid to run a game where good triumphs, evil is punished, and things are changed for the better. Even in the WoD "good" has to triumph sometimes or else the world would have ended far before it got to 20XX.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Good's more about keeping the status quo, so it's depressingly close to reality.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

brap posted:

Nah. Honestly LA By Night is a good example of what a campaign might look like.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

As weird and goofy as it can be, running a mixed game with multiple supernatural types all working together can very easily move the focus from the poo poo world everyone lives in to a lot more personal drama. And I don't mean the bad kind of gaming drama, but the story becomes about how you work with people you can barely understand, because their motivations are so different from yours.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

People poo poo on the whole superheroes with fangs thing, but it being a common way to play Vampire does show that tone is really up to you. If you want a depressing and miserable game where guilt-ridden characters bemoan their eternal unlife, that's obviously there. If you want a tense social game that focuses more on the cutthroat nature of vampiric politics and intrigue while mostly abstracting feeding, that's an option too. And if you just want to a punch werewolves or hunters or The Man or whatever, that's also viable. As long as the players are connecting with it, whatever version you decide to run is totally fine.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
every game I run, no matter how it starts, turns into "queer revolutionaries, protecting their neighborhood." Having spooky stuff is good, having some depressing stuff is good. But real life is terrifying and depressing enough, so having a story where even a blood sucking monster can aim their terrible acts at things even more terrible and make the world a better place, at least for the moment, can be pretty cathartic.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

You're pretty much playing as a super hero, or anti-villain.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Soonmot posted:

every game I run, no matter how it starts, turns into "queer revolutionaries, protecting their neighborhood." Having spooky stuff is good, having some depressing stuff is good. But real life is terrifying and depressing enough, so having a story where even a blood sucking monster can aim their terrible acts at things even more terrible and make the world a better place, at least for the moment, can be pretty cathartic.

Big same.
We almost always play the embrace in a personal session zero (no other players) and start from the beginning. No one seems interested in playing elders because of the politics involved that are frankly pretty boring to a lot of people.

I like Vampire the most when the PCs are seemingly central to the plot but they don't understand the structure above them and how many cracks are in the foundation.
Sure there is drama, grief, deceit and exploitation but the core of the story is always them trying to improve things and failing in spectacular ways.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

brap posted:

I once played in a pretty good Indiana Jones style Werewolf game where our pack of Wolves were racing around the globe trying to beat a coterie of Vamps to a bunch of artifacts. That worked surprisingly well.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

brap posted:

Play Mage.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Euthanatos.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

brap posted:

It's as mall goth as you want it to be. Like most table top games it's pretty clear you can use as much or as little of the rules and such as you want.

You can run What We Do in the Shadows and it would be 100% valid. And probably more accurate to a Vampire game.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

joylessdivision posted:

You can run What We Do in the Shadows and it would be 100% valid.

All players are required to yell "BAT!" when using Protean.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

joylessdivision posted:

You can run What We Do in the Shadows and it would be 100% valid. And probably more accurate to a Vampire game.

Just keep in mind that energy vampires should probably be NPCs unless all players are energy vampires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Mr Scumbag posted:

All players are required to yell "BAT!" when using Protean.

If I ever actually get around to running a game, I will 100% institute this as a table rule.