Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

12x download time to play time ratio on dialup, iirc? for 128k mp3s

well, the most i ever saw from a 56k modem was about 40 kbps down, and ignoring headers and other overhead the 128 kbps mp3 will be...128 kb per second of song. so best case you'd be looking at about 3 minutes of download for every minute of song.

12:1 definitely feels more like the usual though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

shoeberto posted:

Yeah that sounds right.

Remember that first time you loaded up your web browser after going from dial-up to broadband, and websites just... loaded?

yup

that was loving wild. click a link and...there's the page. it's there. you can read things or click more links, it's good to go, it just loving LOADED it's THERE holy CHRIST this changes everything

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

best thing about parallel zip drives was that they were actually scsi drives with a scsi <-> parallel bridge jammed in there. lmao

that’s funny. we had a couple zip plus!s that could I guess detect the pinout and operate in either mode. lol that the BOM was basically the same as the parallel one.

thing was super loving fast when used with scsi though. shame external 25pin was pretty rare by then.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I distinctly remember copying something off a floppy and thinking “someday my internet connection will be as fast as a floppy disk and that will be awesome!”

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

SO DEMANDING posted:

yup

that was loving wild. click a link and...there's the page. it's there. you can read things or click more links, it's good to go, it just loving LOADED it's THERE holy CHRIST this changes everything

don't worry, real-world performance for people without adblockers is back on par with dialup now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i remember leaving my computer on for an entire weekend to download one 160x120 15fps mpeg of a single simpsons episode.

now i see 45gb in the steam downloader and am like, yawn, oh well, guess i'll watch some youtubes for half an hour.

greg the peanut
Dec 24, 2000

For some reason Nero has been emailing me the past few weeks. Apparently they’re still going.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

speaking of download speeds, i ran into some site that used progressive jpegs and that took me back. remember when you could watch websites render each new element as it streamed in?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Orb drives were like a zip drive but they could hold a few gigs. They were shock sensitive, if you ever dropped a disk it was done.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i never got into any of the zip drives but last time i used a floppy disk was in 2003 when i had to get a resume printed at staples for a job interview in a couple hours, lol it was truly some dark times. the disk had a read error so i had to rush home and burn it onto a cd and i remember thinking it felt so wasteful. i didn't get the job either

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

(return to zork)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

shoeberto posted:

Yeah that sounds right.

Remember that first time you loaded up your web browser after going from dial-up to broadband, and websites just... loaded?

Yeah. I wish website were still like that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Progressive JPEG posted:

(return to zork)

Mapping Zork made me lose my got dang patience. I had to start over like three times.

I wonder if some mega brains can beat it/them without mapping?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

polyester concept posted:

i never got into any of the zip drives but last time i used a floppy disk was in 2003 when i had to get a resume printed at staples for a job interview in a couple hours, lol it was truly some dark times. the disk had a read error so i had to rush home and burn it onto a cd and i remember thinking it felt so wasteful. i didn't get the job either

was the job interview at staples as well? might’ve been a test. :ninja:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sagebrush posted:

well, the most i ever saw from a 56k modem was about 40 kbps down, and ignoring headers and other overhead the 128 kbps mp3 will be...128 kb per second of song. so best case you'd be looking at about 3 minutes of download for every minute of song.

12:1 definitely feels more like the usual though.

I'd say closer to 3 than 12 in my experience, i'd consistently get a song in about 20 mins on my 56k, so like 5:1 I guess

but then I mostly hung around on T1 hotline servers

(also I was downloading constantly when I was online cause it was metered and I wanted my moneys worth)

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 6, 2021

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i remember it taking like 3 days to download the q3a demo on 33.3 which was like 80 MB. that was certainly some funny tech poo poo i just remembered.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

If I got a good connection on dialup in middle school I’d use it to download game demos from mplayer instead of fragging noobs in Q1

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Oh poo poo I just remembered trying to torrent from supernova (suprnova? whatever its name was) on 56k. Pretty sure I downloaded GTA:VC for PC off of there. Some kind soul made a rip of it where they deleted all of the VA work, so cutscenes were totally silent, but they worked, and it took the game down to like 300mb. I would start it up at like 9pm and used a shareware tool to automatically turn off my computer at like, 5am, so it'd free up the landline before my parents woke up. I did that poo poo for at least a week.

I'm pretty sure I ended up finding out our public library had the PC version available for loan, so not long after I just installed it and used a no-CD crack.

God drat just remembering the Rube Goldberg-rear end stuff I had to pull off as a teen with a 56k to not piss off my parents by hogging the landline. It's absolutely going to be my "kids these days!!!" material for the rest of forever.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

The other forum I regular had a huge fad for playing Ragnarok Online back ~2002. It was the biggest thing I had ever tried to download up until that point. lmao @ GetRight for DL management, wew

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

lmao that gamecopyworld still exists with the exact same design since the late 90s, but now they have a gdpr cookie banner

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

polyester concept posted:

i remember it taking like 3 days to download the q3a demo on 33.3 which was like 80 MB. that was certainly some funny tech poo poo i just remembered.

same but the 12.6mb worms demo, with multiplayer

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
in soviet russia something something

why are there ibm accounts? why did I ever create one? so many questions

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
playing quake 1 with keybaord only over dialup on heat.net. feeling like hot poo poo cause i knew the secret room to get quad damage on e1m1 to pwn n00bs

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Remember those free dialup ISP's that'd try to pay for the connection by showing you ads?

But you could just close their agent anyway

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

WilWheaton posted:

Remember those free dialup ISP's that'd try to pay for the connection by showing you ads?

But you could just close their agent anyway

ctrl-alt-del-ing right on connection like a pro :c00lbert:. i could get another few kbs more than aol that way. i still remember ~6.3kb/s as the average with a lot of finagling

that made for good ping times for tribes 1 and tfc then, and i still miss tribes 2's superb voice macros that completely negated the need for the otherwise shiny new voice chat it came with

oh, also, running those games with glide and 4x aa while purchase-defending a voodoo 4 to myself

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
floppy disk chat reminded me of something that happened to me in high school. I had a semester long term paper due the next day, and I probably had it 75% complete. I took home 5 copies on separate multicolor translucent floppies. this was back in the early 2000’s when the quality of floppies was going down the shitter. they had something like a 50% failure rate.

I got home that afternoon and went to finish it up, and every. single. disk. was corrupted. I had it saved on my network folder at school and it was early enough I hoped I could still get it. made it to the computer lab, and when I tried to login, I got a message that students were not permitted to login after 5pm.

I freaked the gently caress out, walked to another computer lab somehow hoping i wouldn’t get the same error message. I did. then I spotted a logged in computer in the corner.

the loving network admin had failed to logout of his account and I had access to every students network drive. got a copy of my paper on a reliable floppy, breathed a sigh of relief, and ran out the door.

in retrospect, it’s very lol, but it’s incredible how lucky I got that day

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that reminds me of how awesome dropbox was in ~2007. automatic syncing of stuff i want to not lose to the cloud. perfect.

the funny tech poo poo is how badly they've hosed everything up since then. stupid commenting and cOlLaBoRaTiOn stuff i don't want

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m pretty sure Dropbox was the first cloud service I was ever exposed to, I got a free account with 5GB of storage and it was mind shattering at the time. that was a ton of space. still have the account today, I think it’s up to 15gb or so now, which is positively quaint.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

obeyasia posted:

playing quake 1 with keybaord only over dialup on heat.net. feeling like hot poo poo cause i knew the secret room to get quad damage on e1m1 to pwn n00bs

Heat.net was the best. I remember playing Q2 and TA:CC on Heat, it was such a loving blast.

I also remember friends accusing me of "cheating" because I eventually learned to use the mouse to aim while they still did keyboard stuff.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mplayer and kali were my jam for multiplayer back in the day

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

irpoweroutlet posted:

floppy disk chat reminded me of something that happened to me in high school. I had a semester long term paper due the next day, and I probably had it 75% complete. I took home 5 copies on separate multicolor translucent floppies. this was back in the early 2000’s when the quality of floppies was going down the shitter. they had something like a 50% failure rate.

I got home that afternoon and went to finish it up, and every. single. disk. was corrupted. I had it saved on my network folder at school and it was early enough I hoped I could still get it. made it to the computer lab, and when I tried to login, I got a message that students were not permitted to login after 5pm.

I freaked the gently caress out, walked to another computer lab somehow hoping i wouldn’t get the same error message. I did. then I spotted a logged in computer in the corner.

the loving network admin had failed to logout of his account and I had access to every students network drive. got a copy of my paper on a reliable floppy, breathed a sigh of relief, and ran out the door.

in retrospect, it’s very lol, but it’s incredible how lucky I got that day

hah good times. i had a very similar experience. started high-school in '01 and a box of floppies was on the list of required stationery. i got a box of those multi-colour transparent ones as well that were dogshit unreliable. also they came in a box made of hard brittle plastic that inevitably shattered. the only thing those were good for is to use as an excuse for when you haven't finished an assignment by the deadline. "i went to the library to print it out but it wouldnt open the document! can i hand it in tomorrow?"

edit: this reminiscing has reminded me of funny tech poo poo, in high-school all the PCs were thin clients running some sorta linux UI with the citrix ICA client that would connect to a giant Presentation Server 4.5 farm. my school had ~1,800 students so it was awful. even worse was when i took technical design in year 10. you havent lived until youve tried using autocad or mechanical desktop on citrix.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 7, 2021

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Circa 1998-1999 every college student would just open share their MP3 dump with windows file sharing, and everyone would talk about how you just have to "open network neighborhood" and get tons of music from your floormates' computers since you were all on the same browsable network segment

Before Napster there was Scour dot net, which crawled university netblocks for open SMB shares and indexed the MP3s on them in a search engine. They also had a download manager tool that would handle queuing up downloads and handling retries when you're trying to download from a college kid who turned off their computer.

anyway it's totally unsurprising that one of the founding team members of this totally sustainable and not-shady venture was Travis Kalanick

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

Before Napster there was Scour dot net, which crawled university netblocks for open SMB shares and indexed the MP3s on them in a search engine. They also had a download manager tool that would handle queuing up downloads and handling retries when you're trying to download from a college kid who turned off their computer.

lmao that rules

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Pile Of Garbage posted:

hah good times. i had a very similar experience. started high-school in '01 and a box of floppies was on the list of required stationery. i got a box of those multi-colour transparent ones as well that were dogshit unreliable. also they came in a box made of hard brittle plastic that inevitably shattered. the only thing those were good for is to use as an excuse for when you haven't finished an assignment by the deadline. "i went to the library to print it out but it wouldnt open the document! can i hand it in tomorrow?"

literally same.

man cloud storage must really gently caress up high school students. Floppy's carking it constantly and early flash drives being dogshit were great excuses. Now Word autosaves everything online constantly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

when I started college every single dorm hall and school building was on H U B S

loving HUBS, not switches.

so I’m sure it was collision central, but you could see every single computer on campus. I had a program that would just scan every IP in a block for open SMB shares and return the findings

I got so much music, software and movies that way. it also had the added advantage of on Napster, peers that were on campus would show up with a ping time of 1, so if
you saw one of those in your Napster searches, you went for it.

this was also peak edgelord time at the height of BMEZine and rotten.com and whatnot so I also inadvertently stumbled on a lot of really gross hosed up poo poo :cry:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

when I started college every single dorm hall and school building was on H U B S

loving HUBS, not switches.

so I’m sure it was collision central, but you could see every single computer on campus. I had a program that would just scan every IP in a block for open SMB shares and return the findings

I got so much music, software and movies that way. it also had the added advantage of on Napster, peers that were on campus would show up with a ping time of 1, so if
you saw one of those in your Napster searches, you went for it.

this was also peak edgelord time at the height of BMEZine and rotten.com and whatnot so I also inadvertently stumbled on a lot of really gross hosed up poo poo :cry:

my second year of college I took some computer class and the instructor was also the network admin (small school of 3000 peeps). he recognized my name and after the first day pulled me aside and said I accounted for about 30 percent of the entire school traffic because I was torrenting anime all day with many instance of the og BitTorrent client

I miss the old internet. it’s all boring now. or I’m just old and jaded

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
that’s awesome, I used Scour back in 1998 or so but had no idea how it worked. clever to scan uni ranges

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Animal Friend posted:

literally same.

man cloud storage must really gently caress up high school students. Floppy's carking it constantly and early flash drives being dogshit were great excuses. Now Word autosaves everything online constantly.

I dunno, the whole Chromebook-in-schools thing makes it so a lot of kids have no idea how files (or file systems) work at all, they can still probably get away with "I spent all night on it but now I can't find it on my Drive!"

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

shoeberto posted:

I dunno, the whole Chromebook-in-schools thing makes it so a lot of kids have no idea how files (or file systems) work at all, they can still probably get away with "I spent all night on it but now I can't find it on my Drive!"

sorry prof, my homework is in the google graveyard :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Plank Walker posted:

sorry prof, my homework is in the google graveyard :rip:

i'd believe "the google service that hosted my homework was shut down" far more than the old "my dog ate it"