Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Marvel's Midnight Suns is a turn based tactical roleplaying game set in the Marvel universe. It's out on PC, PS5, XBOX Series X/S, PS4 and XBONE. There was gonna be a Switch version but it got canned, sorry Switch owners. It was developed by Firaxis Games, and headed by Jake Solomon who I trust completely after he made the XCOM games which are beautiful and perfect.

Players bring three heroes to every mission, which will be chosen from the following roster:

The Hunter, a new customisable character and the main character, who just got woken up after 400 years or something to help kill their mother, Lilith, the mother of all demons. Although customisable, they're using this version in the promo:

The Hunter will pick their team from the following established Marvel heroes:

The old guard:

Iron Man

Captain America

Wolverine

Doctor Strange

Captain Marvel

A bunch of young moody goth kids who are into this supernatural stuff:

Blade

Ghost Rider

Magik

Nico Minoru

After I did that bit the following also got confirmed:

Spider-man.

Scarlet Witch, but also as a villain.

Hulk, but only near the end or in NG+ mode, and you can't do the cool companion stuff with him which kinda sucks

There's also four DLCs which each give us another hero. Those four heroes are Venom, Morbius, Storm and Deadpool. Venom is a bit of an interesting choice since he's already in there as a villain.

Gameplay involves cards. Here's a screengrab someone stole from Gameinformer.

It's a deck builder kind of thing like Slay the Spire or Monster Train. You can only play three cards in a turn, and you slowly build up a resource called 'heroism' which lets you pull off funky ultimate abilities.

And here's a 20ish minute video of Wolverine beating up Sabertooth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUjf788tHIo

As you can see in that video, in between beating up enemies with cards, the Hunter likes to wander around their home base, The Abbey, petting their hellhound Charlie and bonding with the other Super Heroes. According to Jake Solomon, bonding with other heroes is important for unlocking their abilities. No romance though, disappointingly for those of us that want to make out with Ghost Rider's skull face.

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It's out and it's good.

Metacritic score of 83, general consensus from reviewers seems to be great combat, fairly mediocre writing and characters. General consensus from most players I've seen including myself is that actually the writing and characters are awesome. Some bugs are letting it down, though. Especially on PC. Maybe give it a month I guess if you don't wanna potentially come across a few crashes.

If you see anything that you think belong in the OP let me know I guess IDK.

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 7, 2022

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Chairchucker posted:

The old guard:
more like the old goons

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I like cards and ghost rider so why not ghost rider using cards

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Blockhouse posted:

I like cards and ghost rider so why not ghost rider using cards

Apparently it's not the Nick Cage Ghost Rider, it's some other Ghost Rider but I don't really know comics and also I never saw either of the movies so I don't know what the difference is.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Chairchucker posted:

Apparently it's not the Nick Cage Ghost Rider, it's some other Ghost Rider but I don't really know comics and also I never saw either of the movies so I don't know what the difference is.

Robbie Reyes is a kid from LA struggling to make ends meet while taking care of his special needs brother until he finds a Dodge Charger haunted by a ghost that promises him power in exchange for sharing a body

so think less motorcycles more fast and furious but with satan

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I wasn't really interested in this when I first heard about the leaks and after the reveal I don't think it looks amazing or anything and I don't really care for the superhero theme but I trust Jake so I'm going to pre-order. Also if I pre-order I'm sure Jake will announce XCOM 3 faster than if I didn't pre-order.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Robbie Reyes has had two short but decent runs as Ghost Rider and now he's an Avenger. The other key difference is that he isn't possessed by a spirit of vengeance but by his uncle who was a criminal and real piece of poo poo but also maybe there's something to do with a spirit of vengeance as well? I don't think they every actually resolved that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I was trying real hard to be excited for this, but the news of everything being card-based just completely destroyed my actual interest. I'll probably still give it a go just because I love XCOM so much but goddamn way to loving fire a full clip into even my relatively low expectations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I was into the original Midnight Sons roster back when that first became a thing in the 90's, and I've enjoyed all the recent XCOM games, especially Chimera Squad. So yeah, mark me down as interested in seeing where this goes.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Game Informer apparently played it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu7b9SZF500

They seemed to enjoy it

EDIT: They also did a 118 Rapid Fire Questions video, which contains a lot of garbage jokes but some interesting info too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5M5i_ygnPo

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 11, 2021

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUjf788tHIo

I remember Garth DeAngelis, the Firaxis producer, from the XCOM 1 and 2 preview videos and streams. What I did not realize is that he is apparently a giant man -- check out this stream where he's standing next to Jake Solomon.

Biggest reveal of Midnight Suns so far, IMO.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Posting a prelimenary, "Fix your game, Jake."
I kinda dig the rune covered fancy suits the heroes have in the trailer, lots of black and gold it seems.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I have to say that I hadn´t really expected this kind of announcement from the XCOM team but I´m cautiously optimistic. I´m not too surprised that Jake and the team want to do something else since they seemed to be nurturing the team behind Chimaera Squad into the new caretakers of the XCOM series.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Chairchucker posted:

Those are the only heroes announced so far, but there's confirmed to be 3 more to fill the roster out at 13 including the player character, and from some clues, people think we're probs getting Scarlet Witch, Spider Man and Hulk.

lol if spider-man is in... stole what is morbius spot. though if spider-man is in i wonder if that means they would have morbius show up as a villian since spidey knows them :thinking_emoji:

im kinda disappointed in the roster having folks like iron man but whatever it seems like you can mostly ignore them by not bringing em on missions. kinda surprise at the lack of moon knight.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Later info now suggests probs no Hulk, but Bruce Banner in as an advisor type.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Chairchucker posted:

yeah i just don't see them not doing moon knight then? like he is getting a movie so ~~synergy~~ and he is on some forms of the team in the comic.

really what the game needs is elsa bloodstone but that would ever happen lol.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Chairchucker posted:

I kind of want Hulk as the advisor instead.

"HULK THINK SOLUTION TO YOUR PROBLEM IS SMASH! WHY YOU NOT SMASHING?"

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Don Gato posted:

I kind of want Hulk as the advisor instead.

"HULK THINK SOLUTION TO YOUR PROBLEM IS SMASH! WHY YOU NOT SMASHING?"
If Jake solomon is a Good and Just producer we will have an option between Banner and Hulk as our research representative.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

having a Midnight Sons roster without Moon Knight, Morbius, or Dr. Voodoo is loving stupid but then again so is putting Iron Man and Cap in your spooky mystic Marvel game over a vampire or voodoo doctor. Marvel games are truly incapable of just leaving the goddamn Avengers at home.

The game looks different enough from XCOM but I'd have preferred they went with a real-time Ultimate Alliance styled thing, especially since MUA3 was mostly mashing Stuns against healthsponge enemies at 20fps.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

having a Midnight Sons roster without Moon Knight, Morbius, or Dr. Voodoo is loving stupid but then again so is putting Iron Man and Cap in your spooky mystic Marvel game over a vampire or voodoo doctor. Marvel games are truly incapable of just leaving the goddamn Avengers at home.

The game looks different enough from XCOM but I'd have preferred they went with a real-time Ultimate Alliance styled thing, especially since MUA3 was mostly mashing Stuns against healthsponge enemies at 20fps.
Man, I really wanted to like MUA3 but as others have mentioned, the goddamn walls of HP that most enemies had just sucked the fun out of the game completely.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I liked Card Hunter, so I don't know why people dislike the fact it has card based mechanics. I just hope there's good interplay between the cards so you're not just trying to fill your deck with the strongest attacks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I deeply respect Jake Solomon and what he and his team did with the XCOM games, even if I have a love/hate relationship with them. I was one of the idiot grognards who was highly skeptical of what they were doing when Enemy Unknown was first announced, but I've come to love the design of those games (and hate how broken and buggy they can be, but only because the high points are so high with them). That said, I'm really struggling to find anything worth being excited about here. Part of that is because I don't care about Marvel at all (though I'll happily play a licensed game that's actually good). But also, the gameplay just seems so... simple. I dunno, I've played and enjoyed plenty of deck-building games, but I feel like there's a limit to how far you can push that formula. But Jake Solomon made me look like a fool before when I whined about Firaxis simplifying XCOM, so maybe he'll do it again.

That said, I have a feeling that XCOM 3 has been in the works for a while now, and that will hopefully be much more my jam. They teased it at the end of WOTC (it was probably just a design doc at that point), and I recall hearing about the Chimera Squad lead promoting a job opening for another unannounced project recently. An announcement for that has to be coming soon, right? ...Right?

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 7, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

yeah i just don't see them not doing moon knight then? like he is getting a movie so ~~synergy~~ and he is on some forms of the team in the comic.

really what the game needs is elsa bloodstone but that would ever happen lol.

if they put in elsa bloodstone for a game about fighting supernatural monsters then none of the other characters would have anything to do.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

I really like the xcom games and the crew/design behind them, but I'm deeply suspicious of anything tied to comic books at this point. Usually a sign the game is going to be dumber, simpler, and hungrier for mtx than it would otherwise be. Also god drat does it make for boring stories and characters, even by video game standards. It's just the same poo poo over and over again and I know that's goonsaid to death but I really hate the endless appetite for it.

Mostly I'm just mad this game potentially took resources away from a unique series like xcom. I don't begrudge people their billionth rehash of "oh hey cool the hulk is teaming up with some spandexed dipshit i've never heard of to fight some guy for some reasons! BUT ITS CARDS NOW??" so long as it doesn't get in the way of my alien shootermen games.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

search engine posted:

hungrier for mtx

I'll try to find the link but they claim there will be no microtransactions.

EDIT: Here. https://twitter.com/midnightsuns/status/1433146431171227648

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 7, 2021

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's not just deckbuilding, it's deckbuilding + positioning based mechanics.

And anyway I don't want the team to just keep only making XCOM 3, XCOM 4, XCOM 5... That's a recipe for creative burnout. "It's taking resources from XCOM 3!!!" is exactly missing the point.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

idk why they needed the xcom team to make a bullshit marvel skinned tainted grail knockoff. the tradition of xcom and half the appeal is that you create the story of your own guys via how the missions play out, and become attached to generic grunts. thats not gonna be possible when your generic grunt is iron man.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

juggalo baby coffin posted:

idk why they needed the xcom team to make a bullshit marvel skinned tainted grail knockoff. the tradition of xcom and half the appeal is that you create the story of your own guys via how the missions play out, and become attached to generic grunts. thats not gonna be possible when your generic grunt is iron man.

I suspect that Fangz is on the right track, and that Jake Solomon doesn't want to do nothing but XCOM sequels until the day he dies. Also, Jake seems to think of this particular IP (Midnight Sons) as a dream project.

The tradition and appeal of XCOM is irrelevant, because this is not an XCOM.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

I'd have been perfectly happy if this was some unique IP unrelated to xcom. The appeal of these kinds of games is about 80/20 mechanics/aesthetics, and while I'd say the xcom window dressing is better than average it's not fantastic or anything. If the super hero stuff only hurts the aesthetics I'll say fine whatever and endure the iron mans. But I'm not hopeful that the impact will be that shallow. Anyway, not going to further derail on stuff that's not really related to the game in question. Hopefully a year or so from now I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, the leaks and such really did it a disservice by making everyone think it was Marvel XCOM when it clearly is just more of a board-game like card strategy thing with a heavily tailored narrative. Maybe it isn't even very replayable.

I still don't think it looks massively appealing but I'll give it a chance anyway. I wish they would just confirm XCOM 3 already though.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

:thatsnotxcom:

IIIIIII was also on the "holy poo poo it's Marvel X-Com!" train. I'm a little bummed, but IDK, it might have some cool stuff going on. The gameplay didn't look terrible.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fangz posted:

It's not just deckbuilding, it's deckbuilding + positioning based mechanics.

Within what appears to be rather small combat arenas. Like I said, I have nothing against the concept itself. I would be perfectly okay with something different from XCOM if it looked good. This though, I dunno. It just seems like there's a lack of ambition that's really putting me off.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, the leaks and such really did it a disservice by making everyone think it was Marvel XCOM when it clearly is just more of a board-game like card strategy thing with a heavily tailored narrative. Maybe it isn't even very replayable.

Based on what we've seen so far, I think the replayability factor is going to be based around doing different builds with the customizable OC, and which characters you choose to hang out with during downtime between plot beats.

MikusR
Jan 5, 2008

Chairchucker posted:

I'll try to find the link but they claim there will be no microtransactions.

EDIT: Here. https://twitter.com/midnightsuns/status/1433146431171227648

Same was said about The Avengers game.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

MikusR posted:

Same was said about The Avengers game.

Well, this game has both a different developer and publisher and it's not like Disney is out there enforcing microtransactions. They got so pissed off after the Battlefront 2 situation no console/PC Star Wars game since has even had DLC, let alone MTX.

Not that 2K couldn't be awful about it, but the Avengers situation doesn't really apply.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 13, 2021

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Chairchucker posted:

Also, Jake seems to think of this particular IP (Midnight Sons) as a dream project.
Eh, I'd take that with a grain of salt. Every IP/comic/show project was a "dream come true" to the developers or creative team, so that's probably just PR speak.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
someone involved gives a poo poo about this obscure third string team, at least.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

https://twitter.com/midnightsuns/status/1455989461309820931

Midnight Suns delayed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

I'm absolutely not happy about this. Not because I want to play Midnight Suns but because of the other news that came out of 2K.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1456017793539772431

Someone with a business degree who has no idea how games are made/work had the revenue from micro transactions in a spreadsheet. Now that this money isn't coming in, someone else has to pay for it. That's not really the best time to write of 53 million in investments and explain the delay to your stockholders. Even though it doesn't directly impact Firaxis, it does give the publisher a reason to "optimize processes"...