Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the original cuno was better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
something beautiful is about to happen

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

sebmojo posted:

spec ops broke gamers brains by saying a bunch of things that were objectively true

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

oh sweet is it time for the monthly spec ops derail already

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Excelzior posted:

We should stop it with a derail about how Alpha Protocol is by far the best game in its genre

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Did any other game do difficulty like Alpha Protocol - also with veteran or rookie start?

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

sebmojo posted:

Yeah it felt like two turns after each fight started the entire battlefield would be made of flaming poison

and of course the flaming poison heals the bad guys and wrecks your team. Cursed ground of any sort was a misery unless you used a mod that let you have unlimited Source Points

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Vic posted:

The point is eloquence.

"Writing" could be anything you see in the game. What do you mean? Dialogue? Lore? Philosophy?

Is it good or bad because you agree or disagree?

You need to qualify when it comes to "writing".

Your analogy is bad because everyone agrees wonky framerate is bad.

you're right, and there's a similar problem with describing difficulty. "If you enjoy challenging games like dark souls iii, you may enjoy Divinity OS2, MGSV, QWOP, or rimworld." They're all like 8/10 difficulty!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Vic posted:

The point is eloquence.

"Writing" could be anything you see in the game. What do you mean? Dialogue? Lore? Philosophy?

Is it good or bad because you agree or disagree?

You need to qualify when it comes to "writing".

Your analogy is bad because everyone agrees wonky framerate is bad.

Nah, you actually don't have to justify why you dislike something to anyone. The writing in Fire Emblem fates is bad. And quite frankly it doesn't deserve any deeper analysis than that.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I mean you don't owe no one nothing. It's just not interesting to read is all.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FoolyCharged posted:

Nah, you actually don't have to justify why you dislike something to anyone. The writing in Fire Emblem fates is bad. And quite frankly it doesn't deserve any deeper analysis than that.

Why are you using a forum, a medium where you have all the time in the world to think about what you want to communicate and to put it into words for others to understand, if you are going to limit your output to grunts and "me no likey, me no explain"

Just keep it to yourself if you can't be bothered to come up with one sentence to explain your own loving point.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

poverty goat posted:

Have to agree here. I also like original Klaasje better.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Hyperblade was one of the best sports games.

Someone should make a remake.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
The best voice in Disco Elysium is the dicemaker. I could listen to her talk all day.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Reviews that say "This is just like the last one" and deduct points are stupid. Its under the assumption that everyone has played the last game. Maybe its the first time they have played the series, just because you're a terminally online game reviewer and have played basically every game ever that doesn't mean its a regular context for reviewing the game as a product. Its a worthless way to describe the quality of something. You're basically reviewing a product under the assumption that they've used another product, which really might not be the case.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

Reviews that say "This is just like the last one" and deduct points are stupid. Its under the assumption that everyone has played the last game. Maybe its the first time they have played the series, just because you're a terminally online game reviewer and have played basically every game ever that doesn't mean its a regular context for reviewing the game as a product. Its a worthless way to describe the quality of something. You're basically reviewing a product under the assumption that they've used another product, which really might not be the case.

no thats good info to have. if the new game is just the same as the old game a new player can save money by buying the old version

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

Why are you using a forum, a medium where you have all the time in the world to think about what you want to communicate and to put it into words for others to understand, if you are going to limit your output to grunts and "me no likey, me no explain"

Just keep it to yourself if you can't be bothered to come up with one sentence to explain your own loving point.

Nobody has said “me no likely, me no explain”. This is also not TBB or CD. It’s the unpopular video games opinions thread. The ideal is pretty much one notch above shitposting.

Also, it what world does everyone on this forum have “all the time in the world” every time they browse and post? I’m wasting a 10 minute break at work replying to you right now, but that’s my limit.

Related content: Nintendo hasn’t made a game worth playing since Link to the Past. I don’t need to explain further because a) I don’t have enough time right now, and b) if you don’t already agree with me, you likely have terminal Nintendo brain poisoning and I could write a 700 page dissertation on the subject and you still wouldn’t budge.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Caesar Saladin posted:

I agree, but for a different reason. A lot of people who played and loved the first one, want more of it. Some minor tweaks maybe, but not every entry in a series needs an overhaul between games.

On the flip side, there should be a soft limit on how many sequels/IP entries can come out before being retired. It’s way past time to retire Mario, Zelda etc…

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Doom Rooster posted:

I agree, but for a different reason. A lot of people who played and loved the first one, want more of it. Some minor tweaks maybe, but not every entry in a series needs an overhaul between games.

On the flip side, there should be a soft limit on how many sequels/IP entries can come out before being retired. It’s way past time to retire Mario, Zelda etc…

Do you actually play Mario or Zelda?

Still lol that people accuse Nintendo of not innovating when literally the entire rest of the industry basically all makes the same game now. And it's all Far Cry.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Perhaps we have all the time in the world the same way Tracy Bond does

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Do you actually play Mario or Zelda?

Still lol that people accuse Nintendo of not innovating when literally the entire rest of the industry basically all makes the same game now. And it's all Far Cry.

Zelda Breath of the Wild had the goddamn Far Cry/Assassins Creed/Ubisoft Open World towers.

Otherwise, yes, agreed

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Excelzior posted:

I still play through spec ops once in a while, because I honestly like it and enjoy the way they approached the source material in a videogame.

Anyway, I kinda like some of these "roguelike" space station sim/AI storyteller games like Space Haven and Starmancer coming out lately. Been having a good time with that.

I'm very much looking forward to Undungeon coming out because I like the more recent demos and I paid those people money a long time ago, then watched it almost die.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

Zelda Breath of the Wild had the goddamn Far Cry/Assassins Creed/Ubisoft Open World towers.

Otherwise, yes, agreed

Though at least gives you a paraglider to take advantage of them. Like, it comes off as Nintendo looking at the whole genre and deciding to make their take on it... and being a massive departure for the Zelda franchise in the process, to a degree that you'd think it'd qualify more as a spinoff than a 'main' game.

I really need that one image about how 'rehash' is the same character in wildly different games and genres, and 'originality' is the same game with a dozen different skins.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

steinrokkan posted:

but this thread is like the best thread to post takes like that.

edit: spelling

Sally fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 7, 2021

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

Related content: Nintendo hasn’t made a game worth playing since Link to the Past. I don’t need to explain further because a) I don’t have enough time right now, and b) if you don’t already agree with me, you likely have terminal Nintendo brain poisoning and I could write a 700 page dissertation on the subject and you still wouldn’t budge.

Counterpoint: Drilldozer was released in 2005.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Though at least gives you a paraglider to take advantage of them. Like, it comes off as Nintendo looking at the whole genre and deciding to make their take on it... and being a massive departure for the Zelda franchise in the process, to a degree that you'd think it'd qualify more as a spinoff than a 'main' game.

I really need that one image about how 'rehash' is the same character in wildly different games and genres, and 'originality' is the same game with a dozen different skins.

Originality in games is doing stuff that's been in video games forever but spending a lot of marketing money and in-game tutorial time telling players about how awesome it is. Like you could glide off high places and landmarks in Wind Waker with the deku leaf it's not like AC invented "there's a cliff/really high landmark in each region"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Rutibex posted:

no thats good info to have. if the new game is just the same as the old game a new player can save money by buying the old version

Nah, it's still good info, but it being an automatic deduction is stupid. If the first game was good and you loved it, being similar is a good thing. Doom II is basically a Doom map pack and is still very much a good game.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Its fine to say its similar to the previous one, that's fair information. But to say that makes it a worse game is stupid, because if you haven't played the previous one then its completely irrelevant to the quality of the product.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

poverty goat posted:

gently caress yeah dot major

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPjrE6xkdLY

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

Its fine to say its similar to the previous one, that's fair information. But to say that makes it a worse game is stupid, because if you haven't played the previous one then its completely irrelevant to the quality of the product.

I think all this debate is showing is that giving numerical scores in reviews is never helpful. It’s totally fine to add a bullet point to the review of “same as the previous game, make of that what you will”. If you have to worry how a given observation affects the final score, the problem is scoring in general

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Though at least gives you a paraglider to take advantage of them. Like, it comes off as Nintendo looking at the whole genre and deciding to make their take on it...
and maybe, some day, they'll build a game around their glorified tech demo

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The real yardstick for current game reviews is whether it's worth paying full price for it, waiting for a sale, or not getting it at all. All the numeric stuff is pointless. Maybe in the context of how much of a discount you should wait for, but that's it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Even if you take out the numeric stuff people people would still hold it against a game that was too similar to its predecessor, which would still be stupid if it's predecessor was fun and good.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Disco Elysium has the best voice acting in games since Dragon Quest 11 except it's also a good game too

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

nvidiagouge posted:

The real yardstick for current game reviews is whether it's worth paying full price for it, waiting for a sale, or not getting it at all. All the numeric stuff is pointless. Maybe in the context of how much of a discount you should wait for, but that's it.

That depends a bit too much on the reader and how much they value their money, but I think it goes in the right direction. What I want to know when I read or watch a review is a) if the reviewer themselves liked it and b) why, ideally as clearly as possible. Then I can make up my own mind with respect to how much I want to pay. I think where a score is useful is that it foallows the reader to see the a) part immediately. It can't be too granular, though, ideally something like 3/5 or Highly Recommended/Recommended/Avoid. Nobody knows what the difference between 8.8/10 or 8.9/10 is.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Disco Elysium has the best voice acting in games since Dragon Quest 11 except it's also a good game too

No it isn't

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
I enjoyed Dragon Quest 11 but the voice acting was really bad. Or maybe that was because I had the English voices enabled

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Every time anybody praises a non-gameplay aspect of a game like writing or acting there is a tacit "for a video game" at the end of it, I thought that was obvious to everybody at this point

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I miss paper video game magazines and prefer them to the youtube and website bullshit we got now. gamefan was my favorite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

kntfkr posted:

I miss paper video game magazines and prefer them to the youtube and website bullshit we got now. gamefan was my favorite