Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm itching to get stuck into something for a while. What would you all say is that sim game you have the most hours in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Looking at my Steam history my list is Kerbal Space Program, Elite Dangerous, Euro truck 2, and My Summer Car. Honorable mentions American Truck and Farm Sim 19.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The truck sims for me, then a lot of these games seem to wash out for me around 20 hours. Landlords super, my summer car, bus sim, etc.

Still waiting on dang Open Sewer to re-launch. They are consistent in showing development work so it’s not dead but boy it sure is taking them a long time.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
If I get 20 hours out of a game I feel I'm doing well. It's why I've had to set my purchasing limits to games on sale if they're a big name, or more niche games that come in at lower prices.

Football Manager is the game I've probably got hundreds of hours out of. Stardew Valley another and most recently Farm Sim racked up a lot of hours. Apart from FM, both SV and FS are both games that go on heavy sale or were already cheap, so it's really tells me something about the kind of games I like, Farm Sim especially, with really niche but strong fanbases that could appeal to me.

Lately it's been theHunter I'm racking up hours in, another game I got for about a tenner, with a very strong core fanbase, and it's absolutely worth it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, I've got a ton of these sims but other than FM (where I'm at a thousand hours apparently) it's all 5-15 hour things. Like I enjoy the mindless cleaning in house flipper and train station renovation or any of those things, but I don't really care about the design parts so they don't last long. So it's FM, looong drop to transport fever, then gently caress all

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I'm itching to get stuck into something for a while. What would you all say is that sim game you have the most hours in?

Mudrunner, Derail Valley, or Kerbal probably.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

What's a good game for making, like, airline routes or freight routes and a simplified economy?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Lake of Methane posted:

What's a good game for making, like, airline routes or freight routes and a simplified economy?

Transport Fever 2 is fairly simple and has routes for planes, trains, trucks, and boats with a very simple economy.

Workers and Resources is sort of similar but a little more of a city builder and can be difficult to penetrate and understand. It has an “economy” in that you serve people goods and can use what you generate to build other stuff or export.

Both are a little more train focused than plane focused, especially W&R. Both are more focused on an abstract layer that’s a scaled down area and you watch everything move - it’s not like a map game where you watch an icon fly to Hong Kong, or something.

I’m sure there’s others I haven’t played (OpenTTD comes to mind) and I’ve bounced off of the few games I’ve tried that are a slightly more abstract “look at a map” level. I’ve always wanted a modern take on something like Ports of Call but anything I’ve seen close (which is a vague memory of a game I saw years ago, so not much) has not looked good.

You might be better off asking over in the management games thread if that’s the layer of gameplay you want - it seems like you’re asking more for management rather than hands on button touchy stuff. (Although there’s some mission/career mods for Flight Sim now that let you feel like you’re playing truck sim in the sky!)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Lake of Methane posted:

Take a look at Logistical. The graphics aren't great and the way it's sold is bizarre, but it's pure distilled logistics/supply chain stuff.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Take a look at Logistical. The graphics aren't great and the way it's sold is bizarre, but it's pure distilled logistics/supply chain stuff.

This one or something else?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/573060/LOGistICAL/

e: I guess there are at least 3.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/672150/LOGistICAL_3_Earth/

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
That would be them, yeah. Unfortunately I have no further knowledge of like, what to buy beyond the original base game and/or the Beginner bundle or if the numbered installments are much improved or w/e.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Logistical Defender has Logged On

You want to start here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/851650/LOGistICAL_ABC_Islands/ as it's free!

Then you pick up https://store.steampowered.com/app/573060/LOGistICAL/ and play Australia.

What you do is simple: every town has wanted items (Town A wants Bananas) so you find a town with a Banana industry and have your trucks take 'em over. The thing is, if this town wants 100 Bananas and your truck can only haul 8 at a time, unless they're directly next to each other you need more trucks - as the bananas will decay once delivered. So get a bunch of trucks and haul all the bananas over, and bam! Happy town! You get money and - more importantly - you can now build industries on the town.

But! You can only build industries you've completely leveled up, by using them and then bringing them upgrade goods.

But! You can't access the upgrade goods because they're behind some broken roads!

But! You can't get gravel for repairing the road because it's locked, as Town C won't unlock its industries until you feed it bacon!

But! Town D has bacon, but it needs pigs!

But! Town E has pigs, but you can't upgrade its pig industry until you have the upgrade goods!

Finally! The upgrade goods are locked at Town F, AND it wants Bananas. You have bananas!

Now take this chain and basic idea and blow it up by a million and do an entire country, or find a state that has entirely broken roads (NY! :argh:), or toss in boats - and so on!

That's Logstical. Every DLC adds a new map to do.

Logistical 2 - and then 3 / Earth - add more twists and turns that I haven't gotten to yet because I'm very busy doing all the L1 modules.

Final tip: avoid the free XMAS 2017 map, as it's an idle game. Towns don't have item decay, but in exchange they all need a billion items and you start with a broken tuktuk. I finished it after literal years of poking away at it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Sounds like a way more complicated version of the happy supply-demand puzzle of Slipways. I don't mean complicated like bad.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
How the hell does LOGistICAL have 9000+ achievements? Also are all those things in your Steam library separate games, not just DLC? Was the whole game procedurally created, haha; I have so many questions now.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It’s one of those labour of love, single dev things. Person behind it started with single country modules, and has now hand crafted the entire planet. L:E is a mobster of a puzzle game, snd I don’t think many people have solved it. Last time I got sucked in a few months ago, there were a few larger countries missing, but most of the world was in.

The absolute madman is also working on a bunch of spinoffs, including a more realistic train logistics game and Logistical - Space.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Less Fat Luke posted:

How the hell does LOGistICAL have 9000+ achievements? Also are all those things in your Steam library separate games, not just DLC? Was the whole game procedurally created, haha; I have so many questions now.

Every single town and road and industry have an achievement.

Also I didn’t list DLC at all.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Me 3 hours ago: "haha this LOGistICAL game is whack, these graphics are horrible and the tutorial doesn't explain much, and you just like... drag trucks onto cities? jeez"

Me just now: "gently caress, no, I can't walk away now I have to make sure that this city gets its wire, it's almost satisfied, and then my truck will have more power and the iron->steel supply chain will run much more efficiently" :f5:

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Are any of you playing Railroads! Online?

It is really early access jank right now but is basically openttd mixed with derail valley with multiplayer.

I would host a server if folks are interested.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1696810/RAILROADS_Online/

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SwimNurd posted:

It is really early access jank right now but is basically openttd mixed with derail valley with multiplayer.

I would host a server if folks are interested.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1696810/RAILROADS_Online/

a few guys I play games with mentioned it but the reviews have kind of scared me away.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

It is super buggy. They have been patching stuff every day though. The price tag is a bit high for what it is right now, but it has fully captured me.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Would this be the thread to talk about stormworks?

It's a game where you build vehicles (pretty much anything you can think of) out of lego and then stick badly optimised engines inside them.

I'm having a lot of fun designing terrible boats but not as much fun trying to get them to move. Really struggling with how to put together an efficient power system. Might try modular engines next, that can only be easier, right?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

LeFishy posted:

Would this be the thread to talk about stormworks?

It's a game where you build vehicles (pretty much anything you can think of) out of lego and then stick badly optimised engines inside them.

I'm having a lot of fun designing terrible boats but not as much fun trying to get them to move. Really struggling with how to put together an efficient power system. Might try modular engines next, that can only be easier, right?

If you want your boat to be efficient you need to play around with gearboxes. In boats you generally want to gear up the prop speed to a point where the engine at full throttle limits itself to 7-8 RPS. I use two gearboxes pointing at each other to get more granular ratios (i.e. a 5:2 pointing towards the engine and a 3:2 pointing away (making it a 2:3) gives me 10:6) and then play around until I get there. If the engine turns higher, ratio up, if it turns lower or dies, ratio down.

You also probably want more engines than you think you do :)

e: I love the "Build" part of Stormworks, I'm just sad the "Rescue" part is so underdeveloped. But if you like connecting sensors and writing scripts for autopilots it's the best.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 8, 2021

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

GhostDog posted:

If you want your boat to be efficient you need to play around with gearboxes. In boats you generally want to gear up the prop speed to a point where the engine at full throttle limits itself to 7-8 RPS. I use two gearboxes pointing at each other to get more granular ratios (i.e. a 5:2 pointing towards the engine and a 3:2 pointing away (making it a 2:3) gives me 10:6) and then play around until I get there. If the engine turns higher, ratio up, if it turns lower or dies, ratio down.

You also probably want more engines than you think you do :)

e: I love the "Build" part of Stormworks, I'm just sad the "Rescue" part is so underdeveloped. But if you like connecting sensors and writing scripts for autopilots it's the best.

This is the part I needed. Thank you! Yeah I actually love the career mode because I love games that are just "do fetch quests" but I'm very very tempted to start digging into the scripting stuff and seeing what I can come up with. Stormlink looks super neat.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SwimNurd posted:

i've been keeping an eye on it, but :same: as the other poster on reviews/bugs scaring me away. if it was :10bux: maybe even 20 i'd be all over it, but at 30 i think i'll wait until they iron out the biggest issues

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

tater_salad posted:

a few guys I play games with mentioned it but the reviews have kind of scared me away.

we're just 'guys' now to you eh?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Blue On Blue posted:

we're just 'guys' now to you eh?

Blue on Blue mentioned it and he is a dear internet friend who's opinion I value, but not as much as reviews that say "this shits janky" when the games 35bux

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/microtrailers/status/1448274558646210567?s=20

Junkyard Simulator is out in Early Access.

Another Playway published game (surprise surprise) but I've watching some streamers play it and there seems to be a decent amount to it. Crushing cars, restoring cars, refurbishing parts and other junk, etc.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They must have been giving out alpha keys or something because I saw videos of that ages ago. I figured the new burst of YouTube presence was due to it releasing, not just hitting early access

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Azhais posted:

They must have been giving out alpha keys or something because I saw videos of that ages ago. I figured the new burst of YouTube presence was due to it releasing, not just hitting early access

There was a demo that came out awhile back, I think

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I bought this.. It's okay probably worth 15bux to drive around and do poo poo.. it' gets real samey real quick though.

yes there was a quick demo for the last several months. I feel like Playaway's model is.. Give keys to streamers / pay for them to play becuase you see Drea and Raptor and a bunch of folks play a lot of their (* simulator) games.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 15, 2021

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

This popped up on my feed and its neat.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1764530/Sailwind/

I really enjoy sailing games and this game hits it well. It does look like it will be pretty content light at what the dev is calling launch, but I definitely think I can get at least $20 out of sailing around and carrying boxes.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I really enjoy sailing games and this game hits it well. It does look like it will be pretty content light at what the dev is calling launch, but I definitely think I can get at least $20 out of sailing around
Meh, whatever.

and carrying boxes.
Hang on, Elite/ETS in a boat? Wishlist.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

tater_salad posted:

Blue on Blue mentioned it and he is a dear internet friend who's opinion I value, but not as much as reviews that say "this shits janky" when the games 35bux

Oh wow who the gently caress am I then?

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

I really enjoy sailing games and this game hits it well. It does look like it will be pretty content light at what the dev is calling launch, but I definitely think I can get at least $20 out of sailing around and carrying boxes.

i'd describe thisun as extremely content light, but my stars is it relaxing to sit down with a beer and just go for a lil sail

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

i'd describe thisun as extremely content light, but my stars is it relaxing to sit down with a beer and just go for a lil sail

Just don't buy the hardcore sperg sail game by mistake.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

algebra testes posted:

Just don't buy the hardcore sperg sail game by mistake.

whys there so many fucken sail games mate? seems like not good

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Today I learned Derail Valley is about to double in price with the next update.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

It’s been said enough by me and others in this thread but if you even sniff around liking trains, train games, weird niche sims, and/or good hands-on VR, you owe it to yourself to get Derail Valley. I haven’t played in a long time because I’m really waiting for the sim patch before I burn out on trains, but it’s such a seriously fun time.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Yeah. I'm somewhat into train games but Derail Valley is the only one I'd describe as an actually good game. Well that and densha de go but that's got language and acquisition barriers and even then doesn't sniff at the real and actual fun of derail valley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Derail Valley is cool but it gets boring quick once you realize nothing ever changes. It is always the same cars on the same tracks that need to go to the same place. I hope they add some new mechanics where new stuff appears after you have moved the cargo.