Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Bloodplay it again posted:

Am I understanding this correctly in that you have to pay €420 more to be able to resell the headset in the future? The professional edition lists the ability to resell it as a feature.

quote:

Also, you get the license to redistribute the headset in a commercial offering of your own.

I guess personal reselling is fine.

It looks tempting but VR seems to be really hard to get right to just buy sight unseen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vib Rib posted:

What? Are we talking about the same game? Ancient Dungeon is plagiarism? We're saying this looks exactly like Minecraft?

"Down to the UI style"? What part of AD's UI looks like Minecraft?

Where would you like to start? :v:

For one thing I'm pretty sure that's the exact same font, just de-pixelated.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

lunar detritus posted:

I guess personal reselling is fine.

It looks tempting but VR seems to be really hard to get right to just buy sight unseen.

Yeah the FAQ has been updated (as well as separate models for countries excluded from VAT) since I asked, but thanks nonetheless.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Ott_ posted:

Backed this today, I think it's really interesting how not-so-far off they ended up from the Quest 2's price. And it comes with SideQuest too, so I'll have access to a whole other library of games on top of SteamVR streaming. It's more futuristic than anything else on the market lol. I think the focus on *good* passthrough will really open it up for non-game (or hell, why not play some Eleven with passthrough on) applications. Basically, stuff I couldn't already do.

I backed them in part because I am a huge HMD nerd, but I am see-sawing on whether to drop the extra 99 on the Finch Shift controllers.

Every time I think I should, I look at the things and reflect on how I already don't like them :colbert: I mean, unimpressive tracking accuracy numbers, dongles you need to strap on your arms, a big gross touchpad (does anyone seriously want a loving touchpad on their controller at the close of 2021?) and I just know they're going to be used once and dropped into a drawer if I have literally any other option.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's five UI windows in that image, which one is identical to Minecraft?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Minecraft didn't invent low rest pixel art 3d games, it only popularized it. This looks like minecraft the same way compound looks like minecraft.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
After finally getting to set my Quest 2 up after the day of no Facebook, I'm really liking this.

I'm coming from PSVR, and by comparison I'm blown away. My biggest issue with PSVR was the constant tracking issues and drift, and this has been great so far.

Been playing a few games through Air Link, which surprisingly works well through my ISP's router.

Also doing the 1 month trial for Supernatural, and I'm really digging it. Much more of a workout than Beat Saber (Yeah I know Beat Saber isn't really designed for workouts like Supernatural is, but I was using it before for cardio)

Also really enjoying A Township Tale. The crafting and everything feels so good.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Other than the fact that the style is low-res pixel art textures, this really doesn't look like Minecraft.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can we all just agree that Minecraft is ubiquitous to the point of homogeny in gaming and that aping it’s style is just a thing that happens?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Also even if it is aping its style, who the gently caress actually cares at this point? Of course a game that's been ridiculously successful and iconic for a decade has people who probably played it as kids borrowing from it when making their own games.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

pun pundit posted:

Dude, Minecraft is old enough nobody remembers any drama around its creation.

I vaguely remember the early stages of Minecraft development happening in near real time on these forums. Didn't play it at the time (or since really) and wasn't aware of any drama. Was there a precursor that he ripped off of something?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Infiniminer was a game that basically laid out the framework for Minecraft's mining mechanics and Minecraft basically ripped them off wholesale and made a billion dollars, or at least that's the claim. I definitely recall seeing Infiniminer first.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Glagha posted:

Infiniminer was a game that basically laid out the framework for Minecraft's mining mechanics and Minecraft basically ripped them off wholesale and made a billion dollars, or at least that's the claim. I definitely recall seeing Infiniminer first.

Thanks, I quite like knowing about gaming history like this.

Dunno if this writeup is impartial but it doesn't make it sound too controversial

https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Infiniminer

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I tried the newest version of Tea for God on App Lab, and it's actually a game now, rather than a glorified tech demo. There is voice acting, a rudimentary plot, and a character upgrade system. Still pretty simplistic, but I can't wait to see what it will be like when it's done. This is still my favorite room-scale implementation of any game.

I also tried traVRsal, which uses the same movement system, but that feels like even more of a tech demo than early TFG. Pretty cool, but basically just a collection of simple obstacle courses. Still, the graphics are superior to TFG, so it has potential.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

raditts posted:

They gave me a 30% code this month that expires tomorrow, but I'm not sure what to use it on.
Those of you that have tried one or more of these, give me your suggestions:

Demeo
Sweet Surrender
Sam and Max VR
Sniper Elite VR

I think I have most of what's worth having aside from these at this point; I have Puzzling Places on my wishlist too, but since that's only $15 and the rest of these are $30, I'm thinking I should make the best of the discount.

Sam and Max VR is...bad. The spirit of Sam and Max is kiiiinda there, but It's a minigame collection that only comes close to being "OK" in the extremely rare instances that it manages to tear itself away from said minigame collection to do barebones adventure game stuff.

Also if you happen to be using an index with the index controllers you're in for a bad time because despite claiming to have tested using said controllers and not encountering this issue, stuff you pick up in game is tilted at least 30 degrees up. This makes aiming with guns impossible at worst. This is something they patched, if you can believe it it was even worse at launch.

There's also a very broken minigame type that apparently the devs are just so enamored with it shows up three times. You are lucky if your inputs during said minigame work 10% of the time, meaning you'll be starting it over repeatedly until you get lucky.

It's not sitting at Mostly Negative on Steam for nothing.

Goodguy3 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 7, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

raditts posted:

They gave me a 30% code this month that expires tomorrow, but I'm not sure what to use it on.
Those of you that have tried one or more of these, give me your suggestions:

Demeo
Sweet Surrender
Sam and Max VR
Sniper Elite VR

I think I have most of what's worth having aside from these at this point; I have Puzzling Places on my wishlist too, but since that's only $15 and the rest of these are $30, I'm thinking I should make the best of the discount.

Demeo is good, although it kills me that is lacking basic stuff like saving/loading games (it's confirmed in development, but it seems they need 5 freaking months to do it) or user difficulties. I hope they present a new expansion later this month, together the Oculus presentation.
Sweet Surrender is a bit expensive imo for the variety of content it has. Even with the 'VR tax', it should have been cheaper.
I don't recommend Sam & Max.

Condimentalist
Jun 13, 2007
I purchased a Samsung Odyssey + last April to play Half-Life Alyx and it was a wonderful experience. My only issues were that the headset is very uncomfortable after about an hour of use.

For anybody that's used an Odyssey+, how does it compare to a higher end HMD? Personally I didn't mind the inside-out tracking, probably because Alyx was designed for use with Mixed Reality systems so there is probably a lot of 'lee-way' for out-of-camera actions, like using the backpack.

The cable is definitely a downside, but I can't imagine wireless being much better due to cost && battery life and weight.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Wireless VR is a complete game changer. So much more immersion when you don't have to mentally track where the cable is and how tangled it is.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxHQZ0qazf8

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

The Eyes Have It posted:

I backed them in part because I am a huge HMD nerd, but I am see-sawing on whether to drop the extra 99 on the Finch Shift controllers.

Every time I think I should, I look at the things and reflect on how I already don't like them :colbert: I mean, unimpressive tracking accuracy numbers, dongles you need to strap on your arms, a big gross touchpad (does anyone seriously want a loving touchpad on their controller at the close of 2021?) and I just know they're going to be used once and dropped into a drawer if I have literally any other option.

Yeah I was also iffy about the controllers, but I'd rather have some than none. How do they even work? The arm band acts as a base station, but then how does the headset know where they are relative to it? The Lynx is the first independent HMD that I actually have trust in, though the wait until April 2022 is going to be long. I'll have it right around when I get my Steam Deck!

panic state fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 7, 2021

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Glagha posted:

I remember a really popular flash game with trebuchets knocking down castles. A studio took the same formula, spiffed up the artwork and presentation, and made a zillion dollars with Angry Birds over the next 20 years.

So it goes.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Song in the Smoke is receiving good reviews. ~8/10 in uploadVr, VRFocus and Realovirtual. It's crossbuy on Oculus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcmL7QjIlrA

And Facebook Horizon is no more!
(now it will be called Horizon Worlds lol)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwVV-zczHYI
https://www.oculus.com/blog/expandi...m_content=quest
Still no indication of being released in 2021. They talk of an accelerator program (for creators) in early 2022, so maybe they are aiming for a mid 2022 release.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 7, 2021

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Ott_ posted:

Yeah I was also iffy about the controllers, but I'd rather have some than none. How do they even work? The arm band acts as a base station, but then how does the headset know where they are relative to it? The Lynx is the first independent HMD that I actually have trust in, though the wait until April 2022 is going to be long. I'll have it right around when I get my Steam Deck!

They are IMU-based (gryo, magnetometer, etc) so can work without any external tracking at all, and I think that the arm-mounted bands contribute to the accuracy, while also allowing for arm pose tracking as well. The thing is that IMU-based tracking is just not as good as other methods. They need calibration and are subject to drift and other environmental issues. Then again, I am certain they are doing some kind of magic that has made an IMU-based controller in 2021 feasible. And yet.

Latency is under 30ms (which is a lot compared to other controllers, but still "low" in human interface terms) but the advertised accuracy is revolting at 2-43mm. poo poo, existing optical tracking solutions have sub-millimeter accuracy. Maybe no big deal for swinging a tennis racket or throwing a punch, but what about aiming a gun?

The controllers do also seem to have visual markers (IR LEDs, I think) for active camera-based tracking, just like the current Quest, Rift, WME, etc controllers do. Maybe the Lynx will support that (and the Finch Shift's ability to run completely IMU-based is more of a bonus side thing.) The $99 price for the controllers is a steal compared to what they originally were going to retail for ($249) and the Lynx team seems to like them. Hard to tell more right now.

https://finch-xr.com/shift/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I set up the oculus guardian so that my couch is in it, at one end of/just outside the play area. Is there a way to set it up so that I can sit down on the couch and not have the holodeck walls fade in because it thinks I'm about to leave the space?

If I expand the guardian so it includes my couch's whole footprint, will it recognize that and still warn me about it when I'm standing up and playing a game?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I've got a few Horizon/Horizon Worlds/Whatever they're calling it now codes if anyone wants to take a look at it. I've popped in once or twice and everyone is so nice and sincere that it deeply bothers my irony poisoned mind. Not a bad thing mind you, but you're likely going to get tonal whiplash if your main exposure to social VR is VR chat.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Warbird posted:

I've got a few Horizon/Horizon Worlds/Whatever they're calling it now codes if anyone wants to take a look at it. I've popped in once or twice and everyone is so nice and sincere that it deeply bothers my irony poisoned mind. Not a bad thing mind you, but you're likely going to get tonal whiplash if your main exposure to social VR is VR chat.

I'd appreciate one!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sagebrush posted:

I set up the oculus guardian so that my couch is in it, at one end of/just outside the play area. Is there a way to set it up so that I can sit down on the couch and not have the holodeck walls fade in because it thinks I'm about to leave the space?

If I expand the guardian so it includes my couch's whole footprint, will it recognize that and still warn me about it when I'm standing up and playing a game?

There's a way to configure where your couch is in the settings by dragging a box around the area you'll sit in, and it'll switch on the fly between seated/standing as you switch between the two. Not sure how it works with the walls fading thing, you may need to just disable the guardian in the settings which I think might fix that?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

All controllers are IMU-based, but they need the tracking to correct the drift.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

mutata posted:

I'd appreciate one!

Dropped you a PM. Got a few more lying around if anyone is interested.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

explosivo posted:

There's a way to configure where your couch is in the settings by dragging a box around the area you'll sit in, and it'll switch on the fly between seated/standing as you switch between the two. Not sure how it works with the walls fading thing, you may need to just disable the guardian in the settings which I think might fix that?

Hmm. I guess I just want to disable the guardian when I'm sitting down, and have it automatically detect when I'm sitting in one specific spot. I still need the guardian on the other three sides so I don't punch my TV (a thirtieth time)

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Warbird posted:

Dropped you a PM. Got a few more lying around if anyone is interested.

I will take one!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Glagha posted:

Both were block based games about placing and removing blocks with a digging theme. Infiniminer was more like an arcade game, set in a sort of vertical dirt pit, and you played by going down, finding ore, and bringing it to the surface to score points, trying to get more than your opponent. That was about it. Obvious similarities, and you can see where inspiration came from, but hardly the same thing.
One important note that people gloss over when talking about Infiniminer is that the dev openly stated they had no intention of making it anything more. It was what it was, and no more, and when players wanted more, using the bridging blocks to make little houses and the like, Minecraft was born in answer. It's not like I often see it painted, where the Infiniminer dev had big plans for a survival game or something and Minecraft swooped in and stole its thunder.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Goodguy3 posted:

Sam and Max VR is...bad. The spirit of Sam and Max is kiiiinda there, but It's a minigame collection that only comes close to being "OK" in the extremely rare instances that it manages to tear itself away from said minigame collection to do barebones adventure game stuff.

Also if you happen to be using an index with the index controllers you're in for a bad time because despite claiming to have tested using said controllers and not encountering this issue, stuff you pick up in game is tilted at least 30 degrees up. This makes aiming with guns impossible at worst. This is something they patched, if you can believe it it was even worse at launch.

There's also a very broken minigame type that apparently the devs are just so enamored with it shows up three times. You are lucky if your inputs during said minigame work 10% of the time, meaning you'll be starting it over repeatedly until you get lucky.

It's not sitting at Mostly Negative on Steam for nothing.

I'm so glad I got this free. It was loving awful.

I went into it with zero knowledge that it was an IP flip mini game thing. So talk about disappointment when it wasn't an adventure game at all. Then the games were all, mediocre as hell and like you said, index support is laughably weird.

Vib Rib posted:

I don't know what to say. It looks to me like any other low res voxel game, and more in the sense of voxel models than in the sense of Minecraft's voxel world-blocks. I've played it and Vivecraft and it definitely felt more Compound than MC. I'd say it's just a matter of opinion but at the very least I can't see how it looks like an intentional ripoff of Minecraft specifically, or how the UI is apparently identical.

And to the untrained normal rear end person who hasn't played a dozen pixel games, it looks like minecraft ya know? Its the pixel title everyone knows and will compare it to. I don't think its like intentionally trying to be minecraft, but saying it looks "nothing like minecraft" is a bit off imo.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I will take one!

PM’d. Got 2 more if anyone wants them.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Vib Rib posted:

Both were block based games about placing and removing blocks with a digging theme. Infiniminer was more like an arcade game, set in a sort of vertical dirt pit, and you played by going down, finding ore, and bringing it to the surface to score points, trying to get more than your opponent. That was about it. Obvious similarities, and you can see where inspiration came from, but hardly the same thing.
One important note that people gloss over when talking about Infiniminer is that the dev openly stated they had no intention of making it anything more. It was what it was, and no more, and when players wanted more, using the bridging blocks to make little houses and the like, Minecraft was born in answer. It's not like I often see it painted, where the Infiniminer dev had big plans for a survival game or something and Minecraft swooped in and stole its thunder.

There's a bunch more similarities though, graphical and sound style, lava/tnt/diamonds, even the building of structures on multiplayer servers. Also the general size of blocks, players, fluid physics, etc.

The infiniminer devs was Zach Barth zachtronics btw., who hasn't done all that badly for himself either (infinichem, shenzen I/O etc).

Here's an old-timey youtube review of infiniminer if anyone's curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlSIbbAu088

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

explosivo posted:

There's a way to configure where your couch is in the settings by dragging a box around the area you'll sit in, and it'll switch on the fly between seated/standing as you switch between the two.

Neat, I didn't know it did that.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Turin Turambar posted:

True, all use IMUs as part of a wholistic tracking solution.

The finch shift ones (controllers + arm sensor bands) however are intentionally made to function independently from any kind of other tracking, meaning they have no dependencies & rely solely on their IMU elements, which is what I was trying to say. That's what I can tell from their published details and tech specs, but it's hard to be sure of more than that.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I never finished the first game because I didn't find floating around to press buttons very exciting, but drat, the human character in that trailer is really impressive. I think it's the most realistic looking human I've seen in a VR game.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Warbird posted:

PM’d. Got 2 more if anyone wants them.

I’ll take one if they aren’t gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Turin Turambar posted:

Yep, and the reason why is they measure acceleration which has to be integrated twice to get position, which means any teeny tiny error gets squared, and you only measure so often, so 2 off becomes 4 but 10 off? Wrong by 100 - and it keeps adding up. Tracking gets a fix on where you actually end up, and so you keep removing the error.