Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That Prusa AFS the long-awaited Core XY of theirs? If so, that's sure a pretty penny more expensive than the rumored 1500 bux.

Also, anyone here also in the Voron VOC channels, who was causing the drama? I'm on a hiatus and missed that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Combat Pretzel posted:

That Prusa AFS the long-awaited Core XY of theirs? If so, that's sure a pretty penny more expensive than the rumored 1500 bux.

Also, anyone here also in the Voron VOC channels, who was causing the drama? I'm on a hiatus and missed that one.

No. The Automated Farm System holds other printers and has a robot arm that unloads/reloads build plates. It's basically putting up for sale some of the mass-production stuff they've done for their own print farm over the years.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The newsletter said the corexy printers in the expo farm are their own thing and definitely NOT the Prusa XL (with tool changing), but do share some parts commonality.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. My last question here was about the printability of a design, but this one's a little more open-ended. I'm not sure my current idea is any good, so I'm very open to alternatives.

I would like to replicate this part, a battery compartment cover of an old calculator:

The original piece is made of stamped steel, and each square on that grid mat is 1/2". It has curved sides and a very thin lip which slides along the case of the calculator. The thickness of the lid itself is about 0.5mm. So the design is not really different from others of the type, but it is simultaneously delicate in features and heavy in material.

I'd think about resin for this, but I doubt the lip would hold up given that it's <0.5mm thick (actually difficult to measure). Some other plastic would probably be better -- it'll require surface finishing anyway and sanding/filling would be a way to further refine the shape.

(Obviously I'd have to add the battery leads on my own)

So what do you think -- is this a decent application of 3D printing given the size and thickness demands? I imagine so, and that it'll take multiple iterations and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Comedy option is to make it out of Sculpey or something I can shape by hand :v:

insta
Jan 28, 2009
If anyone is on the fence about gloves and resin, my sample size of one is that I now have a permanent moderate allergy to d-Limonene (and a mild allergy to peeling oranges) because I used it with bare hands, assuming it was safe because it came from oranges. This was 4 years ago and I still puff up like the Michelin man if I get near d-Limonene.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

insta posted:

If anyone is on the fence about gloves and resin, my sample size of one is that I now have a permanent moderate allergy to d-Limonene (and a mild allergy to peeling oranges) because I used it with bare hands, assuming it was safe because it came from oranges. This was 4 years ago and I still puff up like the Michelin man if I get near d-Limonene.

I cringe in horror every time I see a YouTube vid with someone reviewing or showing off a resin printer, and then they futz around with a build plate that's dripping resin, with no gloves on. To say nothing of the one guy's post I read a while back (I think it was on FB) who was all "I never use gloves, I just wash my hands when I'm done" :magical:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
These are the resins I've used so far.

Elegoo Standard Gray - Hard but brittle, holds good detail - I've used this a lot.
Elegoo Water Washable Black - A little less brittle than Standard but black makes it hard to see details and water washable is more hassle than it's worth.
Elegoo Plant based gray - Exactly like Standard Gray
Phrozen Aqua 4k Gray - great detail not as brittle as Elegoo standard, nice color, If I could regularly get this at a reasonable price I would probably use it exclusively
Siraya Tenacious - Only used it as an additive to Elegoo Standard, seemed to give models more flexibility
Siraya Fast gray ABS like - less brittle than EGS and seems to have as good or better detail.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

sarcastx posted:

I've been going steadily insane with my second-hand MakerBot Replicator 2

Well I think I found the problem, hilariously (predictably) in my efforts to fix the problem I was making them worse.

I noted that the filament was getting caught in the pinch roller thingy after the third layer (while it was printing infill). I'd thought this was a slicer issue - I had tried lowering the temperature but this filament wouldn't reliably come out lower than 215c. I'd also slowed the print down many many times - eventually to 40mm/sec, hoping that the slower speed would improve reliability.

Turns out: the slower speed meant that the filament spent more time in the print head, which got it soft, which caused the pinch roller thing to eventually crush the filament and it couldn't get traction. SO:

I turned the speed way the gently caress up, and bingo: she prints!
Getting reliable results at 80mm/sec now (ok maybe it's not that fast but it's shitloads faster than where my prints were failing).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I cringe in horror every time I see a YouTube vid with someone reviewing or showing off a resin printer, and then they futz around with a build plate that's dripping resin, with no gloves on. To say nothing of the one guy's post I read a while back (I think it was on FB) who was all "I never use gloves, I just wash my hands when I'm done" :magical:

Did anybody ever find that print seller's storefront for the guy that ships uncured resin prints to his customers?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sarcastx posted:

Turns out: the slower speed meant that the filament spent more time in the print head, which got it soft, which caused the pinch roller thing to eventually crush the filament and it couldn't get traction. SO:

If that is indeed what's happening, that is called "heat creep" and it's a problem with the extruder design. New models with better cooling won't do that.

Idk if there's a good retrofit option for a MakerBot or if it might be better to just get a new machine, but good for you figuring it out.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Did anybody ever find that print seller's storefront for the guy that ships uncured resin prints to his customers?

Why would anyone want to do this or buy from this person? What's even the point?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
People are INCREDIBLY cheap.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

There was a merchant a little while ago bragging in discord about how they try to stay green by shipping their minis padded with their used, resin-soaked paper towels.

:chloe:

I'm pretty sure that's a different merchant than the one you guys are talking about though, so I guess there's more than 1 them out there.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
We need to find these merchants and post about them in these threads as examples of what not to do.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

InternetJunky posted:

There was a merchant a little while ago bragging in discord about how they try to stay green by shipping their minis padded with their used, resin-soaked paper towels.

I'm pretty sure that's a different merchant than the one you guys are talking about though, so I guess there's more than 1 them out there.

Pretend this is that GIF of a huge Psyduck popping little psyducks out o this eyeballs.

I made a half hearted attempt to find the first guy on face book, but I guess I’ll have to go deeper.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I just recently came back to 3D printing after about a year and I'm looking to buy some filament. What manufacturers do y'all recommend? I'm looking for 1.75mm ABS so I can smooth the finished prints in an acetone vapor chamber.

I seem to remember one brand that everyone was pretty crazy for that had a dog as its mascot but I can't place the name off-hand.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jessie is the one with the dog on it and it's good quality, yes.

These days you should be fine with whatever, though, as long as it's not literally the cheapest thing on Amazon. Most of the crappy manufacturers have gone away and the good ones have dialed in their processes.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

InternetJunky posted:

no fuckin way

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

w00tmonger posted:

no fuckin way

I had to go back a few months to find it because I almost convinced myself I imagined it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What causes this weird striping pattern. Prusaslicer v2.3.x; ender 3 v2

The slicer has the nozzle start at ~4'oclock on each of these circles. Kind of looks like extra squeeze-out from the extruder, I guess? Nozzle too close + extruder needs to be dialed back ~0.5%? It only looks like this for the very first layer, adhering to the bed, layers 2+ look fine

There's some tear-out happening on the second circle, I think that's just because this is cheap hatchbox PLA. These are just lens caps for vintage ($cheap) slr ebay lenses so print quality doesn't super matter, i think they are 6 layers thick total, but I've noticed this trend happening over time for a lot of my prints with large base layers (i.e. 95% of them)

Fake edit: layer 2, nozzle starts at ~8'oclock and goes to 2'oclock;

real edit: my relative humidity has been ~49% @ 79F for the last 30 days

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 7, 2021

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Jesus Christ... :eyepop:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Unperson_47 posted:

I just recently came back to 3D printing after about a year and I'm looking to buy some filament. What manufacturers do y'all recommend? I'm looking for 1.75mm ABS so I can smooth the finished prints in an acetone vapor chamber.

I seem to remember one brand that everyone was pretty crazy for that had a dog as its mascot but I can't place the name off-hand.

I've found esun abs+ to be the nicest to print after being recommended by someone here. Has less warpage than standard abs. Other brands probably have similar formulations now

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Hadlock posted:

You're to close to the bed.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Hadlock posted:

The slicer has the nozzle start at ~4'oclock on each of these circles. Kind of looks like extra squeeze-out from the extruder, I guess? Nozzle too close + extruder needs to be dialed back ~0.5%? It only looks like this for the very first layer, adhering to the bed, layers 2+ look fine

There's some tear-out happening on the second circle, I think that's just because this is cheap hatchbox PLA. These are just lens caps for vintage ($cheap) slr ebay lenses so print quality doesn't super matter, i think they are 6 layers thick total, but I've noticed this trend happening over time for a lot of my prints with large base layers (i.e. 95% of them)

Fake edit: layer 2, nozzle starts at ~8'oclock and goes to 2'oclock;

real edit: my relative humidity has been ~49% @ 79F for the last 30 days

Either you're too close to the bed or there is some fuckery going on with the filament diameter.

Pretty sure it's the too close to the bed thing though.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Looks like Anycubic is having some decent sales on their FDM printers if anybody wants to get into the hobby or wants another one.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Either you're too close to the bed or there is some fuckery going on with the filament diameter.

Pretty sure it's the too close to the bed thing though.

I think he's got a loose carriage as well. Or a loose print head. Between the two, you'd get that sort of variance. AS WELL as being to close to the bed.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Nerobro posted:

I think he's got a loose carriage as well. Or a loose print head. Between the two, you'd get that sort of variance. AS WELL as being to close to the bed.

If some fuckery is happening between the bed mount and the actual Y-axis that could explain it, yeah (loose wheels on the groove if the Ender still uses wheels and grooves on the bed carriage, or maybe even some kind of wear/tear on the wheels resulting in small obstructions in the path of the wheels, haven't looked at one in a long time).

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

Jesus Christ... :eyepop:

If this wasn't already gone I would 100% return the second printer I just bought and buy that instead. That's a crazy price for a really pointlessly high resolution on what I'm assuming is the same or similar built-plate size to the mini 4k?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

If this wasn't already gone I would 100% return the second printer I just bought and buy that instead. That's a crazy price for a really pointlessly high resolution on what I'm assuming is the same or similar built-plate size to the mini 4k?

It's coming up...

quote:

Sonic Mini 8K pre-order bundles as well as the pre-order date on Oct. 17

It's a 7.1" build plate.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Paradoxish posted:

It’s not gone, it hasn’t gone on sale yet. That was the pre-release announcement. I swore I wasn’t going to get more printers, but that’s a no brainer.

And yeah the build plate is bigger.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Anyone here use a Voron kit? How bad is it to dial in?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I built a v0.1 with a formbot v0 kit and a pile of parts that I replaced (better bed, OMC v0.0 spec motors for the AB, OMC v0.1 spec motor for the z axis, and an LDO motor for the miniAB extruder, legit omron SSR from mouser), and it wasn't too bad. A touch more work than my Prusa, but now that it's up and going it will print ABS faster and more reliably than my prusa prints PLA. Just had to level the bed and spend some time tweaking settings in klipper but the voron and klipper docs have pretty good walk-throughs on all of that, and there's plenty of help in the discord (presumably, I haven't been in there for a while but I assume it hasn't gone to complete poo poo).

The real risk of a voron "kit" is that a lot of the ones out there cut corners and are a bit shifty... the LDO kits should be pretty good, the ones where fabreeko swaps out parts for better ones should be pretty good, and the rest you should be prepared to replace stuff after the fact to make things run reliably and safely. Some of this can be simple stuff like linear rails that might be a bit off, or a bed that doesn't look great, but on the other side of the spectrum you can wind up with motors that aren't up too snuff (and may not even have a data sheet so you know what they really are), to counterfeit SSRs.

If you're ok with replacing stuff that's not up to snuff it's a real good time.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

It’s not gone, it hasn’t gone on sale yet. That was the pre-release announcement. I swore I wasn’t going to get more printers, but that’s a no brainer.

And yeah the build plate is bigger.

Oops, somehow I misread that as the early bird pre-order slots already being gone.

gently caress.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Dr. Despair posted:

I built a v0.1 with a formbot v0 kit and a pile of parts that I replaced (better bed, OMC v0.0 spec motors for the AB, OMC v0.1 spec motor for the z axis, and an LDO motor for the miniAB extruder, legit omron SSR from mouser), and it wasn't too bad. A touch more work than my Prusa, but now that it's up and going it will print ABS faster and more reliably than my prusa prints PLA. Just had to level the bed and spend some time tweaking settings in klipper but the voron and klipper docs have pretty good walk-throughs on all of that, and there's plenty of help in the discord (presumably, I haven't been in there for a while but I assume it hasn't gone to complete poo poo).

The real risk of a voron "kit" is that a lot of the ones out there cut corners and are a bit shifty... the LDO kits should be pretty good, the ones where fabreeko swaps out parts for better ones should be pretty good, and the rest you should be prepared to replace stuff after the fact to make things run reliably and safely. Some of this can be simple stuff like linear rails that might be a bit off, or a bed that doesn't look great, but on the other side of the spectrum you can wind up with motors that aren't up too snuff (and may not even have a data sheet so you know what they really are), to counterfeit SSRs.

If you're ok with replacing stuff that's not up to snuff it's a real good time.

Yeah I'm good with replacement parts! My job has taken an unexpected turn where I'm inventing a lot of poo poo, and manufacturing on one Ender 3v2 is unacceptable, so I've been tasked with getting a better printer to run jobs during the day.

Do the LDO kids ship to Canada you think? Haven't had much luck with local vendors

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
So I got a camera working with OctoPrint! Super easy! Only problem, I never leave the lights on in the room where my printer is when I'm not in there. Has anyone attached a little LED bulb to the camera arm or something to let you see the print progress?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
A lot of people have put those LED strips with tape on the back somewhere near the printer and just turned them on before leaving the printer to run and giving enough light for the camera to show what is happening.

If you have a printer with a non-moving frame that has a good place to mount a light, that works, too.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'm trying to print something but instead of homing x/y and outline routine etc it just climbs a few cm above the build plate and shits out a constant stream of filament. The display says 'printing' but it never does - the most I watched it was for about 3 mins, z axis doesn't move at all.

I tried a couple other files but they print normally. Could this be an issue with the file? I resliced it a few times and checked all the sitting I can think to look at but there's no 'extrude filament nonstop' option I could find.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Talorat posted:

So I got a camera working with OctoPrint! Super easy! Only problem, I never leave the lights on in the room where my printer is when I'm not in there. Has anyone attached a little LED bulb to the camera arm or something to let you see the print progress?

This light bar is pretty popular and well-reviewed; he's got a full parts list for you to buy and print it yourself, or you can buy it from him as a kit or fully assembled.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Guest2553 posted:

I'm trying to print something but instead of homing x/y and outline routine etc it just climbs a few cm above the build plate and shits out a constant stream of filament. The display says 'printing' but it never does - the most I watched it was for about 3 mins, z axis doesn't move at all.

I tried a couple other files but they print normally. Could this be an issue with the file? I resliced it a few times and checked all the sitting I can think to look at but there's no 'extrude filament nonstop' option I could find.

It's almost certainly an issue with the file, you can open it up in a text editor and check the G code which is just text lines telling it what to do. It's likely that the file is bad somehow or if you're using an sd card it could also be corrupt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Talorat posted:

I got a super cheap strip of USB-powered adhesive LEDs for TV bias lighting and ran them along the inside of my enclosure. Cheap and works great.

smax fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 7, 2021