Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Edward Mass posted:

Heels has way more nudity than I expected, and a pretty graphic sex scene to boot.

e: the guy who plays the Florida Wrestling Dystopia promoter was the host of Guts :stare:

Mike O'Malley? Yeah he's a working actor. Saw him on Parenthood and that plane landing movie from Clint Eastwood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Edward Mass posted:

e: the guy who plays the Florida Wrestling Dystopia promoter was the host of Guts :stare:

He's also the showrunner.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

not only is the drama so great in Heels I'd say its purposefully amped up like that because of its influences. its just a lot of cheesy fun.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Escobarbarian posted:

I hope your friend does start watching Succession also
When I showed him the article he said he ended up watching the show because his wife dragged him into it. He describes his enjoyment as a "love/hate relationship" because he still doesn't like watching shows about Rich People Problems but he likes everything else about the show.

I'm so hype for the new season... I hope it's 100% done so I don't get a mid-season strike break on my hands.
This makes me super happy. Every time I see Mike doing something in Hollywood it brings a smile to my face. Love him in Snowpiercer as well. Though I wonder if him being a showrunner for Heels means he'll take less roles elsewhere and (Snowpiercer spoiler) means that he won't be waking up from the fridge in Snowpiercer... or was the reason why he entered it in the first place.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Mike O'Malley was also in Wayne (watch Wayne you fucks) and was, bizarrely, the most reliably good thing about Glee.

DaveKap posted:

This makes me super happy. Every time I see Mike doing something in Hollywood it brings a smile to my face. Love him in Snowpiercer as well. Though I wonder if him being a showrunner for Heels means he'll take less roles elsewhere and (Snowpiercer spoiler) means that he won't be waking up from the fridge in Snowpiercer... or was the reason why he entered it in the first place.

Yeah, I think the latter is it, plus maybe because of messed up covid filming schedules and timetabling generally.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Dave Chapelle could have trimmed the fat off this latest special. The last special felt the same so I hope that he sticks to his word and stops for a while. It's one of those comedy specials where it's more applause than laughter from the crowd if that helps.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He was also in Yes, Dear one of the worst most forgettable shows to ever exist

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

He was also a longtime writer and producer on Shameless. And he was really good in the very shortlived 'My Own Worst Enemy' many years back. He's pretty great all around.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

To the best of my recollection, there were only three people who were on both Justified and The Good Place, and Mike O'Malley was one of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHLeYgZ55_s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiW7l8q6TVg

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gaunab posted:

Dave Chapelle could have trimmed the fat off this latest special. The last special felt the same so I hope that he sticks to his word and stops for a while. It's one of those comedy specials where it's more applause than laughter from the crowd if that helps.

His last special reminded me way too much of a redditor complaining about twitter kind of vibe. There were times it was funny, but other parts where it's someone's angry comment history, is that the kind of stuff you mean or just going on a little too long in general?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Hey so I normally wouldn't recommend anime here, or, you know, at all -- and only partly because I know most of you don't like the stuff.

However, I finished Sonny Boy this week, and it's easily one of the best things I've seen this year. Despite looking like it's gearing up to be some sort of action anime in early episodes, it actually turned out to be a very weird and meditative show, with strange rhythms and not any action at all really. It's also one of those shows where working out what the plot is half the fun, so I'm not gonna spoil it. But it's heavily influenced by shows like Twin Peaks (not in the sense of being randomly weird) and games like Minecraft and -- of all things -- Myst.

Also, look, I was the one who told y'all about Creamerie so I feel like I have a little bit of cultural caché to burn here.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/spaceprole/status/1445942506202570756

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

By “the fat” do you mean the transphobic poo poo, or other things?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh god he’s not still going on about trans people is he? Why do they get so loving obsessed?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah he stands up for Rowling and is like “gender is a fact” fuckin rear end in a top hat

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah he stands up for Rowling and is like “gender is a fact” fuckin rear end in a top hat

I can't tell if he's just got no loving clue what a terf is or he's trying to agree without saying he agrees, because that little segue is like 1% of the actual problem with her including the book she wrote where a psychopathic trans person is murdering their way across England and the cops are somehow powerless because the trans person exploits the system or something.

For a guy who made such a huge deal that he claims he was always criticizing white people not trans people the story about the trans friend who killed herself was like absolute whitest "I'm not racist I have black friends" type-bullshit I've ever seen.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm just gonna say it, Better call Saul is the best TV Drama of all time, and people will be studying it decades from now

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Spoilers for my TVIV anniversary poll list: Saul is absolutely better than Breaking Bad for me. I was already pretty sure about this by season 3, even, and then 4 and 5 have just led to even bigger jumps in quality. It’s so unbelievably excellent in every way.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
New CSI Vegas was tonight. It was great to see some of the original cast. It feels like they're going with the same formula of the original show, and not the spinoffs, so that's good. I'll keep watching because I loved the first show right up till the original cast started to split.

Wu-Tang is getting really great. They've finally started working together, cut their hit song, and now they're finally getting some airplay. Shits blowing up!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I feel weird about putting anything on the poll that isn't completed, you know? Or at least ended without completion.

Like, Breaking Bad was excellent until the final season, which was still mostly excellent, but those last few episodes changed how I felt about the show overall. Similarly, the final season of Girls was a real boon to that show, and the final season of The Americans was not.

TV isn't so much about endings as it is about the journey, but the ending is still the thesis.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did you get Girls and The Americans mixed up? Because the final season of The Americans is fuckin awesome

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm just gonna say it, Better call Saul is the best TV Drama of all time, and people will be studying it decades from now
I dunno. You're probably right, there's tons about that show that deserves praise and study but, for me, something hung over Season 4 in a way that made me feel ill watching it. In the same way Justified had the Ava in prison story, there's a chunk of Saul that bothers me. We don't have to get into it here and I'm pretty sure I wrote about it in the respective thread but it boiled down to Saul's inability to deal with the end of the previous season in a timely and satisfying manner. I always felt like his relationship with Chuck was missing some spectacularly important piece and even when that piece got filled, it was emptied again when Season 4 rolled along and Saul refused to acknowledge an elephant in the room.

Mind you, I 100% understand why they did it the way they did it and I'll never fault them for it, the opinion is purely on my expectations of what I want out of the television I want. That particular point is just a sore spot for me, is all.

Now I kinda wanna dig up my old posts to remember my thoughts on the matter.

In any case, it's still probably the best TV Drama of all time because if you asked me to name a TV Drama that was perfect from start to end, I probably couldn't.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

pentyne posted:

I can't tell if he's just got no loving clue what a terf is or he's trying to agree without saying he agrees, because that little segue is like 1% of the actual problem with her including the book she wrote where a psychopathic trans person is murdering their way across England and the cops are somehow powerless because the trans person exploits the system or something.

For a guy who made such a huge deal that he claims he was always criticizing white people not trans people the story about the trans friend who killed herself was like absolute whitest "I'm not racist I have black friends" type-bullshit I've ever seen.

The best part is that he apparently said he's not gonna do LGBTQ+ jokes anymore. I guess he really had to get them out of his system in the past three loving specials.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Yeah, the transphobic stuff could have been cut. At this point though he's so rich and successful that the only way he'd stop is if he got bored of doing them. Some jokes in general just went on a little too long.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:lol: watched five minutes of Heels and I'm sold.

EDIT: Holy gently caress the ending, I audibly gasped. Guys watch Heels!

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 7, 2021

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

ten year old tom owns

It's so good. I'm glad Steve Dildarian has a show again.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Philthy posted:

New CSI Vegas was tonight. It was great to see some of the original cast. It feels like they're going with the same formula of the original show, and not the spinoffs, so that's good. I'll keep watching because I loved the first show right up till the original cast started to split.

It was okay, the style and editing definitely kept the feel of the original series. I did note that the sets look tremendously different, wide open, super fancy, which makes it look much more like a set designed for beauty than a functional lab.

I'm slightly surprised that they didn't bring back any others of the cast from the first series, although it probably makes sense to avoid having too many ties and paying the other lab techs a lot of money for reprising the role. It looks like they've got to bring Hodgesback at some point. Maybe there will be more cameos.

It seems like the series will specifically have an over-arching plot, but that specific plot will probably only last for one season. But I think that the "clear Hodges' name" plot has a little flaw in that clearly there's SOME bad actor at work involved to have gotten their hands on that stuff, so it's not like finding that person will put an end to the lawsuits and other legal troubles.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFqNxm1dfO8
Lord & Miller have a new live action TV show for Apple. "The Afterparty" is a Rashomon style murder mystery about a death at a high school reunion where each episode will be a different character retelling the events from their perspective.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It was okay, the style and editing definitely kept the feel of the original series. I did note that the sets look tremendously different, wide open, super fancy, which makes it look much more like a set designed for beauty than a functional lab.

I'm slightly surprised that they didn't bring back any others of the cast from the first series, although it probably makes sense to avoid having too many ties and paying the other lab techs a lot of money for reprising the role. It looks like they've got to bring Hodgesback at some point. Maybe there will be more cameos.

It seems like the series will specifically have an over-arching plot, but that specific plot will probably only last for one season. But I think that the "clear Hodges' name" plot has a little flaw in that clearly there's SOME bad actor at work involved to have gotten their hands on that stuff, so it's not like finding that person will put an end to the lawsuits and other legal troubles.

It's wild when you go back to the first season of CSI and they work out of grey carpeted and wood panelled labs until the second or third season when they get the all glass upgrade.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oof, the end of the season finale of Archer was a real gut punch. It was their way of writing off Jessica Walter and they had her retiring to a beach living happily ever after with Ron Cadillac (Ron Leibman,) her IRL husband who has also passed.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s really weird to me that they’re just gonna continue the show without her instead of just ending it. Especially after everyone involved had previously intimated or stated outright that the show was nearing an end now that the coma seasons are done with.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Decided that this is gonna be the October when I finally watch Over The Garden Wall, and after three episodes I think it's pretty cool!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's no over the hedge

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Foundation was renewed for season 2...... apparently in November of 2019.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

DaveKap posted:

I dunno. You're probably right, there's tons about that show that deserves praise and study but, for me, something hung over Season 4 in a way that made me feel ill watching it. In the same way Justified had the Ava in prison story, there's a chunk of Saul that bothers me. We don't have to get into it here and I'm pretty sure I wrote about it in the respective thread but it boiled down to Saul's inability to deal with the end of the previous season in a timely and satisfying manner. I always felt like his relationship with Chuck was missing some spectacularly important piece and even when that piece got filled, it was emptied again when Season 4 rolled along and Saul refused to acknowledge an elephant in the room.

Mind you, I 100% understand why they did it the way they did it and I'll never fault them for it, the opinion is purely on my expectations of what I want out of the television I want. That particular point is just a sore spot for me, is all.

Now I kinda wanna dig up my old posts to remember my thoughts on the matter.

In any case, it's still probably the best TV Drama of all time because if you asked me to name a TV Drama that was perfect from start to end, I probably couldn't.

Man I really been thinking about doing some longform on BCS, but I think Chuck and Jimmy's relationship was perfectly book ended with the lantern scene. Chuck demanding Jimmy shut up and just listen is a microcosm of what their relationship of a whole was, and Chuck killing himself as a result of Jimmy finally destroying that facsimile with the trial with that lantern that symbolizes it was perfect. As was Jimmy letting go of his grief when he realized Howard was destroyed by Chucks death, Jimmy was emotionally distraught as he thought he was the only one who cared enough to actually help Chuck, even as chuck held him back and tried to destroy him. When he realizes Howard also cared enough, he didn't have to carry that, imo unwarranted, burden any longer.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s funny how the ACS Impeachment discussion went from “lol look at all those prosthetics Sarah Paulson is wearing” to “holy poo poo Sarah Paulson is so loving good” super quickly

Is there a thread? I'm liking this season a lot more than the last though I doubt it'll top the first. It's like watching a circus and set up before opening night.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Foundation was renewed for season 2...... apparently in November of 2019.
Neat. Hopefully that means the rather dull 3rd and 4th episode aren't going to be the rest of the freaking season.

Gaius Marius posted:

As was Jimmy letting go of his grief when he realized Howard was destroyed by Chucks death, Jimmy was emotionally distraught as he thought he was the only one who cared enough to actually help Chuck, even as chuck held him back and tried to destroy him. When he realizes Howard also cared enough, he didn't have to carry that, imo unwarranted, burden any longer.
This is the complete opposite of how I read this particular scene. To me, the weight of grief on Jimmy wasn't lifted until the end of the season. And our differing views on this are exactly why this show needs to be studied for decades to come! :)

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Oct 8, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is there a thread? I'm liking this season a lot more than the last though I doubt it'll top the first. It's like watching a circus and set up before opening night.

Agreed, but I don’t think there’s a thread, unfortunately.

In other news, Steve Carell to star in new psychological thriller from the creator of The Americans.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Please no, not Steve carrel he's such a lovely actor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hm, I think I might have to politely disagree.