Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Anyone else have cargo delivered or recent likes from someone who hasn't logged in for half a year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Hot tip: Make sure you're at a good facility before you claim your ranking rewards.
I thoughtlessly pressed the button after going back to rank up Wind Farm, and now I have 14,800 metals stored there. Reloading my save seems to just delete it because my online account already claimed it.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Romes128 posted:

I got absolutely destroyed by 3 Mule turrents when getting cargo for the Collector.

What difficulty are you on? I'm on Hard mode and the turrets are doable if you shoot sleep grenades at them. Aim for the front of the turret and you'll down them instantly.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cowman posted:

What difficulty are you on? I'm on Hard mode and the turrets are doable if you shoot sleep grenades at them. Aim for the front of the turret and you'll down them instantly.

Playing on normal right now. I was trying to be sneaky and didn't really have any weapons on me aside from a bola (which was useless against the turret) and got caught in between two and the third one killed me while I was running away. Also had some Mules on my rear end once I was discovered.

I gotta mess around with the weapons/grenades more. I barely used any on my last playthrough, and I want to experiment some more.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sucks that you can't really use the turrets yourself because they're lethal and you'll just end up taking a bunch of trips to an incinerator or voiding out the whole area.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

grieving for Gandalf posted:

being able to find Cyberpunk poo poo is enormously funny now

Do you find a bunch of discs in a landfill?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Romes128 posted:

Playing on normal right now. I was trying to be sneaky and didn't really have any weapons on me aside from a bola (which was useless against the turret) and got caught in between two and the third one killed me while I was running away. Also had some Mules on my rear end once I was discovered.

I gotta mess around with the weapons/grenades more. I barely used any on my last playthrough, and I want to experiment some more.

Bola for Mules on the run and Sleep Grenade Launcher for turrets. The grenade launcher will hit from extremely far away, farther than the turrets will reliably hit, so get used to aiming with that and you're golden. Otherwise just have the bola out and shoot dudes. If you're in melee and can't bola then get out the strand and parry then tie. The strand is also ridiculous for melee. The actual guns are fairly useless as it takes a lot of bullets to knock people out unless you can reliably get headshots.

Once you get used to this the mules become a joke. If they have guns then it's pretty tough but the melee only guys are stupid easy with this combo.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Another way is to take one down with melee, grab whatever he's carrying (as it flies through the air for style points) and throw it at the next guy, repeat until they're all out.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Stare-Out posted:

Another way is to take one down with melee, grab whatever he's carrying (as it flies through the air for style points) and throw it at the next guy, repeat until they're all out.

cargo-kata is the Objectively Correct* way to play this game

https://i.imgur.com/JcCDF5o.mp4

* not really, of course, but I sure enjoy it lol

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I just finished the ruined factory and honestly it's a let down. I'm not going to go into the story stuff which is very cool and interesting but the actual factory itself is pretty dull.

You go three times. First time is just a stealth tutorial and gets you to the entrance. Second time continues the stealth tutorial and gets you in the first room. Third time is the combat room that was in the trailers. You shoot a handful of terrorists, I completely broke it by just spamming sleep grenades. You then get some interesting story stuff and a very beautiful closure to it. There's no boss battle or anything like that. You just clear the rooms get a story dump and then a very beautiful little song segment as a reward.

All in all it took me less than a half hour to do with end game stuff and setting up a trio of ziplines from the distribution center to the ludens fan. I imagine with the way it's integrated into the story (haven't gotten that far in my second playthrough yet) it'd be more difficult.

It's not bad but it's disappointing because it's so short. The rest of the PS5 upgrades and PC content make the Director's Cut worth it in my mind but if it didn't have them then I would wonder why they bothered.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

cargo-kata is the Objectively Correct* way to play this game

https://i.imgur.com/JcCDF5o.mp4

* not really, of course, but I sure enjoy it lol

I just got the Gravity Gloves and I feel like this revolutionizes the Cargo-Kata style

night slime
May 14, 2014

Cowman posted:

It's not bad but it's disappointing because it's so short.

It kinda sounds like Snake Tales....I remember the disappointment when they were just a bunch of unvoiced missions that weren't that engaging to play. I think it must be a lack of budget thing.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

night slime posted:

It kinda sounds like Snake Tales....I remember the disappointment when they were just a bunch of unvoiced missions that weren't that engaging to play. I think it must be a lack of budget thing.

They added in the box reference/joke that you see in the trailers and even a whole new uniquely voiced character who expands on the backstory of other established characters and added a bunch of new songs to the game. It does feel like they ran out of money when they sat down to create the actual missions though.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I love that the DC added a corrective note to the Asexuality memo after the mild criticism back at launch.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’ve been slowly chipping away at this since the DC came out, do you ever get more significant volumes of the lightweight versions of materials thrown at you?

I’ve found lots of places to build roads and such but holy poo poo they want me to bring so many repeat trips of giant boxes of nonsense, which to be fair I guess is the whole game but still the payoff of “an easier surface to travel on for a little bit” doesn’t seem to be worth the time it would take me at the current resource/volume rate to build them.

Especially when I’ve been told to eventually look out for zip lines, build said zip lines and use the hell out of zip lines as my main mode of getting around.

I’ll be finishing it either way because it’s very good, but the answer will determine whether or not I bother worrying about rebuilding roads right now/ever.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

History Comes Inside! posted:

I’ve been slowly chipping away at this since the DC came out, do you ever get more significant volumes of the lightweight versions of materials thrown at you?

I’ve found lots of places to build roads and such but holy poo poo they want me to bring so many repeat trips of giant boxes of nonsense, which to be fair I guess is the whole game but still the payoff of “an easier surface to travel on for a little bit” doesn’t seem to be worth the time it would take me at the current resource/volume rate to build them.

Especially when I’ve been told to eventually look out for zip lines, build said zip lines and use the hell out of zip lines as my main mode of getting around.

I’ll be finishing it either way because it’s very good, but the answer will determine whether or not I bother worrying about rebuilding roads right now/ever.

Sam, you've got to help rebuild America's defining feature: highways. America just won't be the same without them, so get out there and haul those materials! We're all depending on you! 👍👍👍👍

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Got back into Death Stranding for the first time since I finished it after launch, and it still rules. I like the DC content I've found so far. The buddy bot seemed sort of questionably useful at first, but I actually really like it now that I've tried it out in the field. It lets me bring more resources out to the road pavers at a time, and I had it carry 96kg of fragile chiral ornaments through a mule camp while I, unencumbered, whooped the mules' asses with their own boxes. Good stuff.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

god I love hauling a bunch of materials to and fro. it's so soothing to me

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

The farmers and weather stations throw lightweight materials at you after you get to to a certain star rating. I can't remember what, I currently have them above 3 stars each, and every delivery I make they give me lightweight materials.

I think I'm going to build out the mountian roads this time around. My first two playthroughs I only did the north to south road, and used zip lines for mountains. But now since they added so many ways to transport large amounts of materials, I'm going to tackle the mountain roads.

I'm using my ziplines to branch out from the main roads to preppers. Seems like a good strat to max out everyone. Once I get someone to 5 stars I just delete the ziplines to them and move on to the next preppers.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Just so you know you can use the turrets in MULE camps. They're non-lethal and fun as gently caress to just mow down a whole buncha dudes. If one hops on another turret just aim at their feet and it'll knock them out pretty quickly.

Edit: As to road chat, I'm obsessive about building roads so go ahead and add me on PSN and let me build your roads: CowmanIII :v:

Cowman fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 16, 2021

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

I don't know how far in you are but you eventually unlock a truck that makes hauling large quantities of resources much less of a pain. You can use the MULE trucks to carry stuff around if you steal one, but the one you get later has a much larger capacity. With a truck you can easily carry enough materials to build a few segments of road in one trip (depending on the segments, some are more expensive than others).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't know how far in you are but you eventually unlock a truck that makes hauling large quantities of resources much less of a pain. You can use the MULE trucks to carry stuff around if you steal one, but the one you get later has a much larger capacity. With a truck you can easily carry enough materials to build a few segments of road in one trip (depending on the segments, some are more expensive than others).

Also don't be shy about taking materials from cities and shelters. There is a recurring mission in Lake Knot that will restock its supply of ceramics fairly often. Camps also frequently have a lot of resources, so clean them out and loot them. Finally, if the builder is on the network you'll get about half of it built by other players. It takes some doing but it's not prohibitive.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Cowman posted:

Edit: As to road chat, I'm obsessive about building roads so go ahead and add me on PSN and let me build your roads: CowmanIII :v:

Added you!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

That’s good to know, I’m still very early in so my only truck experience is one I stole to escape a MULE camp I wandered into.

I’ve been just doing an hour or two at a time most nights, taking my time and getting a few deliveries done after work. I just had what I guess is the second boss battle, getting whisked away to weird World War One trenches to shoot Mads Mikkelsen until he vanishes repeatedly and now I’m on the way to meet Mama.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oh yeah the Mule trucks are trash. Also note that all trucks have little lights on the back that indicate how full they are, and that cold items don't thaw out in an enclosed vehicle.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

god I love hauling a bunch of materials to and fro. it's so soothing to me

I thought I wouldn't at the time, but then I did, and some people just don't get it.

KernelZee
Sep 28, 2021

I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Doing my first play through on PC and just got to the part where you go to meet deadman in his cabin and on the way up that mountain face that has you going all rocky 4 montage, I get to the top, start my descent using a climbing anchor, and i get to the end of my anchor, Sam goes to vault a rock / stumbles and instead of landing he HOVER falls down the entire slope building speed while floating above the slope in a fall animation and crashes into the bottom finally going about mach 2 and dies..... I know it was just a glitch but I laughed so hard.... also it was my first death in the game.

:psyduck:

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Midjack posted:

Oh yeah the Mule trucks are trash. Also note that all trucks have little lights on the back that indicate how full they are, and that cold items don't thaw out in an enclosed vehicle.

They don't?! I never bothered with cold items because the deliveries are loving impossible to get S rank on but this changes everything.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cowman posted:

They don't?! I never bothered with cold items because the deliveries are loving impossible to get S rank on but this changes everything.

Somebody had to tell me that too, I couldn't figure out how it was possible to do well on those missions on my own.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
Even though I’m playing a couple other games currently I I finally broke down and started a new Directors Cut playthrough on my PS5. Jesus this game looks amazing and I love all the new additions to the gameplay so far. I’m playing on Very Hard since I played the hell out of this game when it originally came out.

Just got to Port Knot City and the music plus the vibe of coming down that hill after having to abandon my bike to BTs was just incredible. God I love this game!!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Just chuck something into the road building. That's what I did and came back to a completed section later.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

others have weighed in on the mats, i just wanna add that whether building roads is worth it depends on if you just wanna power through the game or if you wanna 5 star everyone. if it's the latter, some of the deliveries are very high weight/volume so you'll need a truck, and you'll want roads for truckin

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Wafflecopper posted:

others have weighed in on the mats, i just wanna add that whether building roads is worth it depends on if you just wanna power through the game or if you wanna 5 star everyone. if it's the latter, some of the deliveries are very high weight/volume so you'll need a truck, and you'll want roads for truckin

I'd say roads are worth rebuilding. There's so much traversal between locations that having a road makes it a million times easier even if you're not shooting for 5 stars.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's technical, but here's a pretty interesting GDC talk about the AI and AI pathing in Death Stranding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqZE5O8VPAU

I'll never look at a MULE without appreciating how much work went into getting them to run after me.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What do I need to do to use the cord cutter?

I’ve had it for a while now but I never get a prompt to use it, I don’t see it in the weapon or item inventory so I don’t think it’s something I need to equip, and absolutely no approach to a BT or it’s cord gives me a prompt to cut it.

I was sitting with a cord running right through me earlier and nothing, I got right up behind the BT and nothing, there’s just never a prompt.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What do I need to do to use the cord cutter?

I’ve had it for a while now but I never get a prompt to use it, I don’t see it in the weapon or item inventory so I don’t think it’s something I need to equip, and absolutely no approach to a BT or it’s cord gives me a prompt to cut it.

I was sitting with a cord running right through me earlier and nothing, I got right up behind the BT and nothing, there’s just never a prompt.

I think you have to be crouching and basically walking right thru a cord, like clipping through it.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

In classic I think I only used the cord cutter for the gold BTs that are immune to all other weapons. It's so much more annoying and worse than just bloodnades / blood gunning everything.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
disagree, cord-cutting felt like an mgs cheatcode. bt areas are now just easier mgs guard areas, crouch around, run into the cord then snip snap ya gone. blood gun was something i tried once then never again. which again is just like mgs, might as well not have any gun in the game besides maybe stealth pistol.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I was literally crouched with a cord running through my body and no position I got into would prompt me to cut it.

I’ll try it again tomorrow I guess. I already found a couple of BTs that are immune to my blood weapons so hopefully I can get this to work.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I was literally crouched with a cord running through my body and no position I got into would prompt me to cut it.

I’ll try it again tomorrow I guess. I already found a couple of BTs that are immune to my blood weapons so hopefully I can get this to work.

in my experience you gotta get close to the BT itself and not just any dang where on the cord, strangely (e: i know you said you got right on their rear end, though)

once i started getting close enough to breathe on them (were i not holding my breath/wearing an oxygen mask), and i mean "why the gently caress am I not busted yet" close, the prompt came up quite reliably

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You have to crouch, hold breath, and tiptoe much closer to them than you'd ever dared before. Then it's a one button dispatch and a high five from the BT you've freed!