Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Come join us in the AI EV thread where will cheer you on as you drop an electric motor into your 1983 Honda Civic Hatchback!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

Don't electric cars not need geared transmissions since motors have the same torque across the power range? That said, adding a manual transmission to an electric car would be an extremely audiophile kind of thing to do.

There's been prototypes, but nothing production with a manual. Closest I can think of was the Honda CR-Z (hybrid) had an available manual, but that certainly isn't the same thing.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

qirex posted:

Don't electric cars not need geared transmissions since motors have the same torque across the power range? That said, adding a manual transmission to an electric car would be an extremely audiophile kind of thing to do.

Yeah pretty much haha

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

qirex posted:

That’s why a real manual transmission would never make any sense. It would add a tremendous amount of problems, not to mention wear issues, for a purely frivolous emotional benefit.

However a drive-by-wire system, one that had selectable on/off for manual shift functionality, would be pretty cool. Especially if it came with both a three-pedal/stick setup and paddles.

And like maybe you could choose from different driving profiles or “car models” and it would use its dynamic chassis control systems and front + rear motors to replicate the feel off different kinds of drive types and engine configurations/tunings/etc. Want to drive a RWD V8 muscle-style car today? FWD high-revving classic Japanese NA? Something AWD with boost? Just dial it in like you’re picking a car in Gran Turismo.

I recently watched a Ford presentation where the new CEO talked about how the focus for carmakers in the EV era will be “amenities and experience” or something like that (basically there’s only so much manufacturer-specific differentiation and complexity that goes into an EV drivetrain, so in the future they’re all gonna be pretty fast and reliable, at least compared to the ICE auto market today. So companies will have to figure out new ways to entice buyers like luxury features, party tricks, connectivity, entertainment, customizability, driver assists, gaming, etc)

A fake stick is contrived as gently caress but it makes more sense to me than putting gaming PC hardware in a car like Tesla does with certain Model S trims now

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Some have two gear transmissions because they will have a limit to how fast they can spin, so you can't just have one ridiculously low gear.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Putting my first real home stereo together now that I live in a standalone house - I no longer have to (just) be a headphone guy!

Two questions for my 2.1 setup:

1. My receiver manual says I can use “four internal channels for front speakers” to bi-amp my speakers. Does it make a difference if I use the main Front Left/Front Right channel for the tweeter or to the larger driver? In addition to turning on those additional channels in my receiver, will I need to do anything so the audio is correctly routed to the right drivers, or will that happen naturally if I have playback set to stereo?

2. I will be running a powered subwoofer from the pre-amp out on my receiver. My subwoofer manual expects the output from the receiver to be LFE but my receiver expects me to use a single RCA cable from the pre-amp out to go to the subwoofer - are these the same things?

3. Bonus question: I accidentally purchased shielded speaker wire which is currently connecting the front speakers. I’m assuming that since I am not able to ground the shielded cable I should rewire with standard speaker cable?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Putting my first real home stereo together now that I live in a standalone house - I no longer have to (just) be a headphone guy!

Two questions for my 2.1 setup:

1. My receiver manual says I can use “four internal channels for front speakers” to bi-amp my speakers. Does it make a difference if I use the main Front Left/Front Right channel for the tweeter or to the larger driver? In addition to turning on those additional channels in my receiver, will I need to do anything so the audio is correctly routed to the right drivers, or will that happen naturally if I have playback set to stereo?

2. I will be running a powered subwoofer from the pre-amp out on my receiver. My subwoofer manual expects the output from the receiver to be LFE but my receiver expects me to use a single RCA cable from the pre-amp out to go to the subwoofer - are these the same things?

3. Bonus question: I accidentally purchased shielded speaker wire which is currently connecting the front speakers. I’m assuming that since I am not able to ground the shielded cable I should rewire with standard speaker cable?

You're going to want a different thread, this one is for marvelling at $3000 electrical cables.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I just cross post your questions to the two channel stereo / vinyl thread

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I went to fetch the link to the Home Stereo thread and they’d already posted it there so mistake noticed already I think.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Since it’s quoted anyway I will leave it for posterity’s sake as reference point for a different kind of audio imbecilism.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It's started happening: I've been listening to stuff mentioned in audiophile equipment reviews and going "wow, this is great," I think it's the slope to listening to the equipment. Anyway, "The MIraculous" by Anna von Hausswolff sounds really good on my headphones. For maximum audiophile grognard compatibility it features both a solo female vocalist and a pipe organ.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

qirex posted:

It's started happening: I've been listening to stuff mentioned in audiophile equipment reviews and going "wow, this is great," I think it's the slope to listening to the equipment. Anyway, "The MIraculous" by Anna von Hausswolff sounds really good on my headphones. For maximum audiophile grognard compatibility it features both a solo female vocalist and a pipe organ.

Well, Stereophile reviewed B&W DM302 speakers (https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/542/index.html) and the Pro-Ject Debut III turntable (https://www.stereophile.com/turntables/pro-ject_debut_iii_record_player/index.html), both of which I've owned and appreciated, but I wouldn't exactly call them high-end.

In all seriousness, though, if you're reviewing a lot of $2k gear then at some point you're going to end up reviewing some stuff that's actually good quality and worth the money. I bet you could even find a review on 6moons of something that was arguably decent gear. That doesn't mean I'm going to start paying attention to anything they have to say.

If you're seriously interested in this stuff you should be auditioning it in person, and if you're really serious then you should put down a deposit and do an at-home audition. I've wanted a pair of Magnepan speakers for a long time and I'm 100% sure they're worth the money, but that doesn't mean they would necessarily work well in my room or with the rest of my gear.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

qirex posted:

My song lately is Silver Knife by Shaed. It's one of those meh songs on a bluetooth speaker and an "oh wow" song on certain speakers and headphones.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

strtj posted:

Well, Stereophile reviewed B&W DM302 speakers (https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/542/index.html) and the Pro-Ject Debut III turntable (https://www.stereophile.com/turntables/pro-ject_debut_iii_record_player/index.html), both of which I've owned and appreciated, but I wouldn't exactly call them high-end.

I meant listening to the music that reviewers mention. Like every true audio nerd I already have 5+ bench dream systems in mind from $5k to infinity

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

qirex posted:

I meant listening to the music that reviewers mention. Like every true audio nerd I already have 5+ bench dream systems in mind from $5k to infinity

Oh, heh, it's been a long day and I didn't read your post properly. Here's my response to that:

https://skyfiaudio.com/products/audio-research-model-cd2-vintage-cd-player

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
But I do own a surprising number of the records on this list: https://www.stereophile.com/content/records-die-2021. I'm not sure how to feel about that.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

strtj posted:

Oh, heh, it's been a long day and I didn't read your post properly. Here's my response to that:

https://skyfiaudio.com/products/audio-research-model-cd2-vintage-cd-player

The cd3 was better.

Mainly because I loved putting the magnetic clamp on top of the cd.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

TheMadMilkman posted:

The cd3 was better.

Mainly because I loved putting the magnetic clamp on top of the cd.

I think you missed the joke. Hint: it's the first picture

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

strtj posted:

I've wanted a pair of Magnepan speakers for a long time and I'm 100% sure they're worth the money, but that doesn't mean they would necessarily work well in my room or with the rest of my gear.

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/magnepan-lrs-speaker-review.16068/

Neurophonic fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Oct 5, 2021

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

I guess I should have specified: I was not referring to the smaller, compromised Magnepan speakers. I was referring to the 1.7 and larger.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
not to be one of those people but like
“Magnepans don’t really make bass” is one of those “water is wet” conclusions

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

strtj posted:

I think you missed the joke. Hint: it's the first picture

Indeed I did.

But I still maintain that top loading CD players with magnetic clamps are great fun.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

magnepans are almost the platonic ideal of an audiophile speaker, they take up a whole room, need beefy amps, require huge amounts of tweaking and have a sweet spot exactly the size of one person

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

qirex posted:

magnepans are almost the platonic ideal of an audiophile speaker, they take up a whole room, need beefy amps, require huge amounts of tweaking and have a sweet spot exactly the size of one person

lmao

plus they need a lot of tlc, it's so perfect

and god help you if anything happens to them, they're going to buzz and flutter and it's going to haunt you

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So what you're saying is that a full tube setup and a set of Magnapans are an audiophile's wet dream

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Mederlock posted:

So what you're saying is that a full tube setup and a set of Magnapans are an audiophile's wet dream

I will, in the "please tell audiophiles that they are idiots" thread, tell you that I will fight you over this. I am a full believer in planar magnetic sound reproduction but I will also tell you that you can take the harmonic distortion from your tubes and stick it right in between the eyes of the dude rolling WE 300Bs.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
I’m going to do some measurements of my MGIIIa’s this week, I’m curious how much bass they actually make because it sounds like plenty but maybe I’m an idiot. Also full disclosure it will be later this week because I just spent 2 hours re-glueing a rattly wire that has pissed me off for three months.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Older Maggies are a great second or third speaker 😅

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ok Comboomer posted:

not to be one of those people but like
“Magnepans don’t really make bass” is one of those “water is wet” conclusions

The big expensive ones do pretty drat well; the LRS just doesn't have the mass, but yeah they are not worth the price.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 8, 2021

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
just use speaker cones and crossovers like a normal person, gently caress

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mister Speaker posted:

just use speaker cones and crossovers like a normal person, gently caress

Yeah I don't get it either.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Why do that when you can get a giant metal mesh the size of your wall and load it with thousands of volts instead?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mederlock posted:

Yeah I don't get it either.

I’ve heard the 20.whatever (don’t remember which) in a phenomenal room. I get why people love them, but getting them set up right is a huge pain. I wouldn’t turn down a free pair.

An open-baffle cone speaker gets you the same effect for a whole lot less cash.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I love my planar headphones but given even these small planar in-ears need way more power than anything else I have I can't imagine how stupid the power requirements of planar speakers are.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

I’ve heard the 20.whatever (don’t remember which) in a phenomenal room. I get why people love them, but getting them set up right is a huge pain. I wouldn’t turn down a free pair.

An open-baffle cone speaker gets you the same effect for a whole lot less cash.

oh no, you said the magic devil ‘speaker design’ words that bring out the anorakiest of anoraks

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I remember reading a Magnepan review way back when I first heard about them and I lost it when the reviewer said “they really opened up when I moved them 10 feet from the back wall.”

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
At the risk of getting kicked out of the making fun of audiophiles club, the big magnepans sound better than just about any other speaker I've ever heard. The sweet spot is hilariously small, they use an absolutely obscene amount of power and they're entirely inconveniently shaped for 99% of people but like...they just sound very very different in a fun way. I've never had someone sit down in front of them and not be like "oh wow". Also having a 5 foot long ribbon as a tweeter is my favourite kind of stupid.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Remember to plug your unused inputs: https://ansuz-acoustics.com

quote:

The entry-level model has to make do without a name affix and will retail at 680 euros. The Sortz Supreme represents the medium quality level and will be available for 1,000 euros. The Sortz Signature, the top-of-the-range model, will request an additional 400 euros. At least in my high-resolution system, the ever-increasing impact of the different Sortz models can be easily retraced. Upcoming questions, such as whether two simple Sortz produce more euphony than one Sortz Signature, will probably only be clarified when series models are available in sufficient numbers. The most striking distinction between the three models, by the way, lies in the different surface coatings applied in the Magnetron Sputtering Unit.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Am I worried about signal leaking in or out :ohdear: now I'm worried about both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DoesNotCompute posted:

At the risk of getting kicked out of the making fun of audiophiles club, the big magnepans sound better than just about any other speaker I've ever heard. The sweet spot is hilariously small, they use an absolutely obscene amount of power and they're entirely inconveniently shaped for 99% of people but like...they just sound very very different in a fun way. I've never had someone sit down in front of them and not be like "oh wow". Also having a 5 foot long ribbon as a tweeter is my favourite kind of stupid.

gonna lead us back to manual transmission-chat