Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PIZZA.BAT)

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
gently caress you adobe, microsoft, apple, google, lunix, amazon, open sores y our poo poo is garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

discard technology and return to monke

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Kazinsal posted:

discard technology and return to monke

done

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

DrPossum posted:

It is truly amazing how loving garbage computing is and how it gets worse every loving day regardless of the ecosystem you're in.

It DID look like it was going to be really cool for a minute but I can't shake that we are in one hell of a downhill slide

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/hering_david/status/1446047444144427008

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

for a second i thought those were programming books for like FORTH or something

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
frontend wise yeah the html5 hellscape is pretty dire

on the backend, i dunno, i think things are a lot better. imagine going back to the 90s and having to write code that interacts with dcom or corba, in microsoft visual c++, and then check it into clearcase.

politically yeah everything is absolutely turbofucked but technology itself is not inherently evil. any tool can be used as a weapon if you put your mind to it.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sapozhnik posted:

politically yeah everything is absolutely turbofucked but technology itself is not inherently evil. any tool can be used as a weapon if you put your mind to it.

I think things have evolved to a point that technology is difficult to NOT be used for evil. Obviously you're correct, tools have no agency, but the tools can only really have utility in a narrow band that is 90% evil.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

lord funk posted:

:chast2b:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

rotor posted:

I think things have evolved to a point that technology is difficult to NOT be used for evil. Obviously you're correct, tools have no agency, but the tools can only really have utility in a narrow band that is 90% evil.

the tools evolved to assist in maximum profitability, and the only surefire way to be maximally profitable is to be evil.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

frontend wise yeah the html5 hellscape is pretty dire

on the backend, i dunno, i think things are a lot better. imagine going back to the 90s and having to write code that interacts with dcom or corba, in microsoft visual c++, and then check it into clearcase.

front end is a wasteland where the best you can do for cross platform stuff is blazor. back end .net is great.

also if you really wanted you could write modern .net that works with 20 year old com just fine or vice versa.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i will give html5 credit for exactly one thing: making it very difficult to block the ui thread. this is not an accomplishment that should be understated.

developers will absolutely bulldoze the shortest straight line path to what they want to get done so if you give them even half a chance to make their UI block they will.

mystes
May 31, 2006

lord funk posted:

That would be pretty cool

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

i will give html5 credit for exactly one thing: making it very difficult to block the ui thread. this is not an accomplishment that should be understated.

developers will absolutely bulldoze the shortest straight line path to what they want to get done so if you give them even half a chance to make their UI block they will.

i think thats more of an advancement in browser sandboxing.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

HTML5 mandating datepickers is also neat

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sapozhnik posted:

i will give html5 credit for exactly one thing:

proving once and for all that no one gives a poo poo about a consistent ui.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

yeah that already happened

i wasn’t sure what to think when i found my original rodtronics rainbow/puddle t-shirt copied. like.. gently caress you but also.. someone’s copied something I made? guess it just shows you can be totally worthless poo poo (me) and someone still pirates your garbage (my stuff)

just to make sure you’re not thinking i’m comparing my t-shirt to yours, I am only talking about mine. yours rules

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

mystes
May 31, 2006

Does it have a 28.8bps modem?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

when u're actually looking into a projector

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

does anyone still do ads in this format? that is, a large image with a catchy line of text (preferably in a sensible serif font) and plus a bunch of paragraphs off at the top or bottom. usually ending with the company name and slogan in bold type

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Maybe in magazines. But when was the last time you saw a paper-printed tech magazine?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
so that's what people mean when they say "this is my Spirit animal"

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beautiful but you should replace the people with yosposters imo

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

what a yospos logo

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

RokosCockatrice posted:

what a yospos logo

Too bright imo

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

rotor posted:

tools themselves might not have agency of their own but it's difficult to argue that they don't directly inherit the ideologies of their creators. technology is bad because we stunk it up

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

RokosCockatrice posted:

what a yospos logo

needs to be green and black

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Amber rules green drools

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

cyan uber alles

and gently caress you ios keyboard for trying to autocapitalize "uber".

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Amber rules green drools

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Amber rules green drools

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Amber rules green drools

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
amber is for suburban bougie fucks that didnt grow up on an amber monitor if you wish to gun fight me over it my address is [REDACTED]

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

agreed

Gun Metal Cray
Apr 27, 2005

Pillbug
amber suffices

but my heart beats for redpos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

cyanpos is the superior pos