Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

God I love the tank.

And AA is fine. Just have to get the timing down. I've taken down plenty of helis with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I think I've cracked the code. Dice makes Battlefield games by getting rid of the things people liked the most from the previous game keeping the things that everyone hates and just randomly adding the rest based on the entirety of the rest of the franchise.

Example: "I hate how you have so many identical characters running around in BFV but I like that you can customize the character" goes into the the Slice and DICE 5000 and becomes

"Make both teams look exactly the same"

D-Pad posted:

And AA is fine. Just have to get the timing down. I've taken down plenty of helis with it.

Yeah helis are incredibly bad in this have controls designed by a madman and lose literally all momentum if you level out.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 9, 2021

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

This map is terrible and was a poor choice.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I like some parts of it, but all the areas where it's like, "here's a wide open field of grass/concrete, get hosed" suck dick.

Urethane
Dec 21, 2004

yeah its like they took a decent map and then made it 50% bigger by putting empty space between all the control points

e: the tornado thing is pretty loving sick though

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

It's more like they took two different maps and kind of sutured them together.

The north part of the map and the south part are pretty much completely different maps that barely interact with each other

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
The only reason helicopters seem invincible is cause of lag teleportation. Even the SUPERHIND doesn't have the weight and momentum I was expecting, and pro helicopter moves depend on being able to shift that momentum in ways that are advantageous.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It would be nice to be able to ping enemies.

Live ping them, also.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
I'm sorry basic features like "other players can see your pings" are not available in this beta demo that we charged people money for early access to

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Oh jfc it's an open beta for everyone regardless of preorder. Or are you mad you put money down to play two days sooner?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I pre-ordered the physical version at Gamestop and wasn’t eligible for the early access.

*shrugs*

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I don't really have the same issues with the game as many posters itt EXCEPT the spotting/waypoint/map stuff because it makes you feel really directionless at times as a solo player. It's really basic stuff that shoulda been in the beta

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Sedisp posted:

I think I've cracked the code. Dice makes Battlefield games by getting rid of the things people liked the most from the previous game keeping the things that everyone hates and just randomly adding the rest based on the entirety of the rest of the franchise.

Example: "I hate how you have so many identical characters running around in BFV but I like that you can customize the character" goes into the the Slice and DICE 5000 and becomes

"Make both teams look exactly the same"

Yeah helis are incredibly bad in this have controls designed by a madman and lose literally all momentum if you level out.

It's all about social media engagement

Oh look, they're really engaged now!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Whenever I have the AA rocket launcher on my dude, I can never tell if I get a hit. 80% of the time the rocket flies off screen and ?????? Not a single clue if I hit or not.

Also, as a PS5-player, gently caress playing cross-platform. Whenever I run somewhere I’m instantly dead after 7 seconds of running, with no loving clue where I’m being shot from.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Grondoth posted:

The only reason helicopters seem invincible is cause of lag teleportation. Even the SUPERHIND doesn't have the weight and momentum I was expecting, and pro helicopter moves depend on being able to shift that momentum in ways that are advantageous.

Even better if you try to pilot with the assumption you have weight you're going to immediately be upside down.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

BF2042 physics feel like an Xbox 1 game, by which I mean the first Xbox not the third one

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Wheeee posted:

BF2042 physics feel like an Xbox 1 game, by which I mean the first Xbox not the third one

I'm getting a sense you may not like the game and should in fact not play it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Wheeee posted:

You know I thought that VTOL looked familiar...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9RQlYlqi1o

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Can't get more than ~90 fps with overclocked and watercooled 9700K and 1080Ti even on low settings @1440p. Is my hardware this outdated or is the beta just bad?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Yes

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I mean the beta is definitely bad. The game is also bad. It's got a serious identity crisis because the devs don't seem to know what made previous entries fun and engaging. I legit uninstalled after playing a single round.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Sedisp posted:

This makes me sad to hear, because one of my favorite things to do in BF4 was hop in the US attack chopper and farm ragequits. That loving thing was nimble as poo poo, and once you got enough practice you could loving poo poo on maps... provided they didn't go overboard with the stingers and AAA... which they always did... but still.

Attack helis are probably my favorite thing about the modern-era BF games, and hearing that they've done the DICE thing again and hosed up something that wasn't hosed up just makes me depressed. :smith:

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Oct 9, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mulva posted:

I'm getting a sense you may not like the game and should in fact not play it.

Go easy on him. judging by his posts I'm pretty sure he's 11 years old.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Also, as a PS5-player, gently caress playing cross-platform. Whenever I run somewhere I’m instantly dead after 7 seconds of running, with no loving clue where I’m being shot from.

this is just battlefield

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Game is a mixed bag imo. Played for a few hours today and I loving hated it for a while, but once we got a full goon squad going it was decently fun. Although it killed my hype a bit. Not really sure if I'll get it at launch at the moment. it looks and feels pretty good (when its not bugging out) but the scale is so huge it kind of feels like nonsense a lot of the time and can be really frustrating. Ill probably just wait and see what people are saying at launch, because I wasn't exactly blown away by anything about it.

Doublestep posted:

this is just battlefield

Yeah I turned off crossplay because I was getting annoyed and it changed nothing. BF is just getting shot out of nowhere all the time. it is what it is.

The almost total lack of aim assist(?) on PS5 is rough though. Felt like I was having an extra hard time hitting moving targets without as much ~game magic~ as I am used to. Left me feeling like I really should be playing with a mouse.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
There are going to be gamemodes with less people and smaller maps in the final product right? 128 players is a mess and always has been in every game that has attempted it

Also, what a huge difference it makes to play on the map when the sun is out and your visibility isn't constantly destroyed by raindrops hitting your screen and weird dark lighting everywhere

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So are the bunkers being literally pitch black with no way to see what is going on a feature or a bug? cause that poo poo is straight up the abyss lol.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Seeing people complain this is "to much like COD, I'm going back to BF1" is wild to me as that was the largest complaint from everyone about BF1 when it came out with its new movement model and more focus on close combat.
I think it shows that comparing battlefields to COD really means next to nothing any more as people have wildly different ideas of what COD is.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Now I'm curious as to how much of a bottleneck my lovely ram is, re performance.

I am playing on a 1080p screen with a 10700k @ 4.8 and a 3080 @1860 (this PC is also for 4k gaming on the living room tv, I move it in and out). However, my ram is 2933 cl21 oem junk with what I'm sure are even worse rest-of-the-timings. I play at the "High" preset and see highs of 120 ish fps and steady lows at like 75 or so, with dips even lower when things are getting janky.

Weirdly, when I'm connected to a high ping server as the client has been putting me into 75% of the time, fps dips are way more frequent. From all performance reports, this is way underperforming, as people are getting similar averages to me running 1440p widescreen which is like 3x more pixels or whatever, I won't math. GPU usage never gets over like 70% in game, but will hit 90+% in the menu (lol).

veni veni veni posted:

So are the bunkers being literally pitch black with no way to see what is going on a feature or a bug? cause that poo poo is straight up the abyss lol.

They're not like that originally, players shoot out the lights.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Oct 9, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Literally the most annoying thing in this beta is the AK-24 attachments resetting to "no attachments for you" every time you spawn. Like, fine then, I'll use the M5. :colbert:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

They're not like that originally, players shoot out the lights.

Yeah I know that, but it's insane how bad it looks once the lights are out. It's just a black void with super unnaturally lit ghostly, looking player models. You literally can't see anything and it looks like rear end.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I know that, but it's insane how bad it looks once the lights are out. It's just a black void with super unnaturally lit ghostly, looking player models. You literally can't see anything and it looks like rear end.

Agreed, some kind of light source would be way better, even just a sparking wire or glow stick left behind. Maybe the devs were going for that "cinematic" see-by-muzzle-flash feel.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Here's a fun way to fight airpower: Choose LMG with armor piercing ammo and shoot at the chopper. This does barely any damage but it DOES annoy them every single time. They try to find you but you run away and hide, and then do it again and waste all their time.

Also, pick the recoilless rifle and try to shoot it when it gets close, which is really hard to do but if you pull it off there is a glorious explosion and you might cum your pants.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

a lot of weapons have TACTICAL flashlight attachments

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The slug shotgun is pretty good. 2 shots and they're dead no matter where you hit them :allears:

The shotgun with regular shells is also monstrous in close quarters. I downed 4 people in a row with it. One shot, one kill. You can basically only use it well around certain parts of the map though, everywhere else is too big. A very niche weapon but I could see it being a lot of fun on a smaller, more focused map

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

Seeing people complain this is "to much like COD, I'm going back to BF1" is wild to me as that was the largest complaint from everyone about BF1 when it came out with its new movement model and more focus on close combat.
I think it shows that comparing battlefields to COD really means next to nothing any more as people have wildly different ideas of what COD is.
if it felt like COD less people would be complaining

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

they could make a good game where dropshotting, sliding, jumpshotting, and parachute shotting all suck. stupid bullshit like dropshotting being really good has been in since bf2.

you just have to nail the weapon recoil, weapon feedback, and make the movement not feel floaty, but the battlefield series has always been rear end in this compared to its contemporaries

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Man I am having a ton of fun in the scout heli, you can really harass people on your own. Only problem is I find it a lot easier to aim and shoot in first person but when the storm hits it's almost impossible to see. Third person is so much lighter.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah as a mostly BF dude for the last decade or so who went back and played some COD in the last 2 years, I wish BF felt more like COD tbh. I hate all the gimmick meta poo poo in COD but it's just a way better feeling game to play. Also BF is totally guilty of the same.

If Dice's goal is to rip COD off I'm fine with that but I wish they would do a better job of it. COD also tried to rip off BF with ground war and it loving sucked though. Really wouldn't mind a best of both worlds situation but it doesn't seem like that is going to happen any time soon lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah as a mostly BF dude for the last decade or so who went back and played some COD in the last 2 years, I wish BF felt more like COD tbh. I hate all the gimmick meta poo poo in COD but it's just a way better feeling game to play. Also BF is totally guilty of the same.

If Dice's goal is to rip COD off I'm fine with that but I wish they would do a better job of it. COD also tried to rip off BF with ground war and it loving sucked though. Really wouldn't mind a best of both worlds situation but it doesn't seem like that is going to happen any time soon lol.

Yeah, for all its faults, COD is legitimately good when it comes to making shooting mans feel responsive, impactful, and rewarding. That's something that especially the older BFs used to be kinda middling at best at. BF4 was frankly kinda poo poo when it came to gunfeel. And in fairness, BF has legitimately improved in that regard with the recent entries. I was actually somewhat impressed with the shooting in the beta, it sure feels better than I had expected for a BF game at release.