Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

afen posted:

Remember to plug your unused inputs: https://ansuz-acoustics.com
What is that man doing to his XLR port? :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

qirex posted:

What is that man doing to his XLR port? :gonk:

in this house, no hole goes unfilled

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Ok Comboomer posted:

gonna lead us back to manual transmission-chat

99% of non-commercial accidents involve automatics in the us.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Oh and I'm speaking from a place of enthusiasm for unique designs; perfect playback doesn't exist.

More accurately, I'm sure there's some theoretical device that can do it in an unobservable anechoic chamber in laboratory conditions, but I'm still not gonna listen to music in the blackout fart chamber when I'm inevitably bitch to myself that there's not enough bass on this stupid loving speaker.

I loved my MMG-Ws when I was a bachelor in an apartment, but sitting anywhere but the sweet spot and a lot of dialogue was just loving gone. Regardless I liked them as house speakers because I could point them wherever we were sitting, in or out of the living room area.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah that's the real thing I like mocking audiophiles for, the constant hunt for the "perfect reproduction" instead of just finding a bunch of stuff that sounds different and cool.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

qirex posted:

I remember reading a Magnepan review way back when I first heard about them and I lost it when the reviewer said “they really opened up when I moved them 10 feet from the back wall.”

Well that’s just dipole radiation. You get as much out of the rear end as you do out the front, so you’ve gotta try to even out the pattern a little to keep anything close to a flat response at the listening position.

Some of the Linkwitz stuff is like this too, but sounds better and is cheaper. There’s some interest stuff in the modern planar world, but Magnepans aren’t it.

If you want esoteric and “theoretically perfect” then going for a “pro” ribbon system based on Mundorf AMTs, or just buying something by Alcons is a good start.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

njsykora posted:

Yeah that's the real thing I like mocking audiophiles for, the constant hunt for the "perfect reproduction" instead of just finding a bunch of stuff that sounds different and cool.

Not to mention it’s a “perfect reproduction” of a potentially garbage mix. Sometimes you gotta fix someone else’s decision.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

njsykora posted:

I love having this conversation with audiophiles who live for this idea of “perfect reproduction and perfect soundstage” where it’s like

I was right there, sitting in a smoky nightclub and Diana Krall (it’s always Diana Krall) was right there on stage in front of me with the full band behind her and I could just reach out and swirl the smoke with my hand and—

and like, what the gently caress are you talking about? How do you think that piece of music was recorded and mixed?

That vocalist was in a booth, probably on a weekday during work hours.

That band was recorded separately, dollars to donuts they probably didn’t even play live together. They probably didn’t even all record in the same studio.

And even if everybody did play together, there were still probably a bunch of punch-ins done and multiple takes composited together....and on and on and on.

And it’s not like this is even a new thing, the sad effects of modern digital recording and devalued music, nah—like this is how they made Sgt Pepper

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

These dudes will absolutely spend 75 grand on speakers and never go to live shows.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
What do I need to replicate the sound of a band rocking with a really powerful PA system that's all nice and balanced in my living room? Like, so I need to wear earplugs and it's still bad for me but it's not super distorted?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
surprised nobody’s tried to park a Neve console in their living room in the service of replicating the original mix, as it was heard

wait.....now I gotta see how many Audiophiles on the internet have tried to run their sources through a Neve preamp or somesuch

lol, nevermind. Not only does RND have their own headphone amp (only $500! drat affordable for the name/a headamp), I totally forgot Fidelice exists (Neve’s hifi company)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

LRADIKAL posted:

What do I need to replicate the sound of a band rocking with a really powerful PA system that's all nice and balanced in my living room? Like, so I need to wear earplugs and it's still bad for me but it's not super distorted?

Are you familiar with the wall of sound? Hopefully you have a large living room

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

LRADIKAL posted:

Horns.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Ok Comboomer posted:

surprised nobody’s tried to park a Neve console in their living room in the service of replicating the original mix, as it was heard

wait.....now I gotta see how many Audiophiles on the internet have tried to run their sources through a Neve preamp or somesuch

I mean, I used to have a spare DJ mixer wired into my TV setup so I could mix my own music or whatever over video games, but I don't think that's in the same category.

Then again, I dunno, I just decommed a Tascam desk mixer in favor of a Soundcraft rack mixer because I was tired of using an entire loving folding table's worth of space just for audio routing in my studio. I guess I could make my living room incredibly silly if I wanted to, but I can't think of any reason why I'd need 24 channels of audio for watching movies or playing PS4 games.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

LRADIKAL posted:

Cerwin Vega 1515's

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

LRADIKAL posted:

You can buy an actual PA by one of the top two providers in the world, but “aimed at the home”

https://l-acoustics-creations.com/sound-systems/

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Ok Comboomer posted:

I love having this conversation with audiophiles who live for this idea of “perfect reproduction and perfect soundstage” where it’s like

I was right there, sitting in a smoky nightclub and Diana Krall (it’s always Diana Krall) was right there on stage in front of me with the full band behind her and I could just reach out and swirl the smoke with my hand and—

and like, what the gently caress are you talking about? How do you think that piece of music was recorded and mixed?

That band was recorded separately, dollars to donuts they probably didn’t even play live together. They probably didn’t even all record in the same studio.

And even if everybody did play together, there were still probably a bunch of punch-ins done and multiple takes composited together....and on and on and on.

And it’s not like this is even a new thing, the sad effects of modern digital recording and devalued music, nah—like this is how they made Sgt Pepper

Lol. Yep. Reminds me of an interview I heard recently with Kiki Dee and the interviewer breathlessly asked “don’t go breaking my heart is such an incredible track. The way you bounce off each other with such emotion. What was it like getting together with Elton to record it?” And she replied “I never met him. He recorded his bit in LA and I just added my stuff on in London later”

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

LRADIKAL posted:

Huge SPL, low distortion? A bunch of big PA cabs. I tried using mine at home when I was bored one time and yeah it gets stupid loud with no effort but with the design of the tops they need about 20ft for the various elements in them to resolve properly. Definitely an experience thought vibrating your entire house with 120db of your favourite music and using virtually no power to do so. :v:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Ok Comboomer posted:

It's the talk of inky blackness and PRaT that's always so obviously improved (by carefully placing an expensively polished turd on every piece of equipment) that gets me.
Inky loving blackness.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

spookygonk posted:

It's the talk of inky blackness and PRaT that's always so obviously improved (by carefully placing an expensively polished turd on every piece of equipment) that gets me.
Inky loving blackness.

what is PRaT

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Ok Comboomer posted:

what is PRaT

Pace Rhythm and Timing, it’s how Naim buyers justify spending like $3k on a 20W amp with 14 parts in it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"Timing" is my favorite too, like they seem to imply that on a cheap amp the sounds come out in the wrong order. What Hifi seems to be the prime offender here, they'll talk about cables or even a surge protector improving timing or "organization"

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

qirex posted:

"Timing" is my favorite too, like they seem to imply that on a cheap amp the sounds come out in the wrong order. What Hifi seems to be the prime offender here, they'll talk about cables or even a surge protector improving timing or "organization"

In theory, i think a stereo setup with vastly different cable lengths combined with a record with heavy panning could produce something approaching bad timing. I'd guess it would be literal kilometers before it would be noticeably worse than the musicians on a lot of records though.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

qirex posted:

Quantum mechanics tell us there's indeterminacy to the position of electrons, possibly allowing some parts of your music to "jump ahead" of where they're supposed to be. These cables fix that.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

BonHair posted:

In theory, i think a stereo setup with vastly different cable lengths combined with a record with heavy panning could produce something approaching bad timing. I'd guess it would be literal kilometers before it would be noticeably worse than the musicians on a lot of records though.
To be specific:

Moving your head an inch will change the synchronization of the sound you hear by .15 milliseconds.

10 kilometers of extra cable will change it by .05 milliseconds.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I'm reminded of the 500mile email problem.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dylan16807 posted:

To be specific:

Moving your head an inch will change the synchronization of the sound you hear by .15 milliseconds.

I have a new device to market: the head cage for audiophiles - keep your head 100% in the right place.

Also my wife says thanks, because I actually kind of bought into having the cables being the same length, and now I don't have to.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Dylan16807 posted:

To be specific:

For reference, my big two ways with an active crossover have delay adjustment to make sure the HF and LF are in phase, out of curiosity I played around with it, you don’t hear it as being weird or bad until you’re in the like….tens of milliseconds.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

what is PRaT

it can mean anything and so it means absolutely nothing

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Oh and I'm speaking from a place of enthusiasm for unique designs; perfect playback doesn't exist.

I loved my MMG-Ws when I was a bachelor in an apartment, but sitting anywhere but the sweet spot and a lot of dialogue was just loving gone. Regardless I liked them as house speakers because I could point them wherever we were sitting, in or out of the living room area.

Nothing wrong with weird stuff and old tech. Nothing wrong with preferring to listen to vinyl and tubes, or recognizing what is good in unconventional designs. I’ve heard Maggie’s in really good rooms and they can sound incredible. I just don’t find them worth the price or the setup limitations. But I also get why they worked for you.

Ok Comboomer posted:

what is PRaT

An easy way to claim that one thing is better than another without having to quantify an actual reason.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Perceptual Rub and Tug

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ok Comboomer posted:

My buddy is a long time professional stagehand and has a multi-channel mixer/console to control his living room PA speakers.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BonHair posted:

I have a new device to market: the head cage for audiophiles - keep your head 100% in the right place.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pfft, get out of here with that garbage mass market equipment.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Zeos' cat Chewbacca died :smith:

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

A post in the Let's Talk Headphones IV thread led me to a video crin made about the audiophile review on $1,800 IEMs that made him want to get into reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwUXyUdfQw0

"I've always admired ninjas"
https://theheadphonelist.com/ciem_review/spiral-ears-se5-ultimate-review-welcome-to-the-temple-of-heaven/

Down the rabbit hole, and come across this gem of a thread (724 pages over 4 years) on "A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming"

Did you know you can buy audiophile switches? Of course you did.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/#comments

In the OP:
"Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery"

"Moderation
Further - this thread is about listening impressions. We do not:

-Demand proof
-Require a spec-ific methodology
-Require measurements.
"

Gold on nearly every page, the latest being a look at the best orientation for a fuse...

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Network bridging
quality of power supplies
quality of clocks - both data (related to the data sample rate) and system (USB, ethernet, and motherboard) clocks
reference clocks
mods - mobos, NICs, USB cards
DDCs
cables
DACs
NUCs
Audiolinux
and many other topics.

No
Probably not unless yours is substandard crap
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
and No.

Well that was pretty easy to upgrade my sound.. ignore all this bullshit and buy better IEMs.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Personally I’ve never found myself wanting more than SPDIF… I hate USB for many many other reasons and SPDIF gets you isolation for free, so… why not?

Also, I think I posted in this thread about it but must be loving blind — what was the brand that would make custom braided / colored cables for you if you didn’t mind spending some extra bucks for something that you know doesn’t sound any better but looks cooler? Saves me the time of buying the braid / connectors from Digi-Key and putting it all together.

I use some $0.50 thin plastic SPDIF cable right now, but since it ends up being visible on my desk, I’d wrap it up in some kind of red/black metal braid or something to look shinier.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
OMG I had lovely computer noise for 20+ years. I was SPDIF opticaling for a long time after that but recently got a Motu Ultralight MK5 interface which is USB 2.0 connected. Its galvanically isolated which shocked me to the core of my being. First time not having USB noise. And it's nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I still have a traditional sound card, that probably gets the same 5V as the USB ports, and there's gently caress all noise. If that works, some USB DAC ought to be able to do it noise free, too.

--edit: O wai, PCIe has 3.3V and 12V only. Nevermind then.