Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I feel that AR are way too strong and I fear what they will become once we get the full weapon customisation with the extended drum mags and all sort of compensators.
They may well make LMG and SMG (and possibly DMR) redundant, especialy since you can swap attachement on the go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
I wonder if loving pray the vehicle caps are for the beta only. If they aren't, that'd be a deal breaker for me.

The dropping of classes is a huge backward step too

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

rocket_Magnet posted:

I wonder if loving pray the vehicle caps are for the beta only. If they aren't, that'd be a deal breaker for me.

The dropping of classes is a huge backward step too

I've gone entire matches without even seeing a tank because they're farting around on the other side of a map (probably near C or F) away from the helicopters. Makes the whole game not feel like battlefield. The cap should have been like 6 per team.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys

Rusty posted:

Okay, well the issue is that in all FPS games with factions the two factions look different and you can identify them without the little blue thing above their head in close quarters or if the game decides it isn't going to render it for whatever reason. That's what I mean when I say it is dumb that everyone looks the same.

No no I understand that, thats completely valid.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
It’s stupid how far the range on the fxaa launcher is. That thing has more range than helicopter a2a

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Battlefield has always had vehicle caps and every map has a different amount and possible vehicles. I really don't get this complaint. Have you never played battlefield before?

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

Krogort posted:

I feel that AR are way too strong and I fear what they will become once we get the full weapon customisation with the extended drum mags and all sort of compensators.
They may well make LMG and SMG (and possibly DMR) redundant, especialy since you can swap attachement on the go.

Yeah, it really feels like if I am using anything except the M5A3, I'm putting myself at a disadvantage. The only time I haven't felt that way was a few times I was using the K30 or shotgun at close range.

I guess it would be wishful thinking for DICE to have a public running list of bugs that they are aware of and are going to fix. I haven't found anything game-breaking, but spawning with the AK and not having the attachments stay as they were is pretty annoying. The spawns are also just poo poo. My last game I think something might have broke because no one was able to spawn into a tank or AA even though it showed both as available.

Hell, spawning in general is almost a crap-shoot. There are times when I will select a flag to spawn on and end up in a chopper that is about to get shot down.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

eh they had a bit more granularity to the respawns in previous games. Way more people respawning close, but conveniently just out of los

It's almost like it's easier to spawn people out of LOS when there's half as many people in the game.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

CombatBonta-kun posted:

Yeah, it really feels like if I am using anything except the M5A3, I'm putting myself at a disadvantage. The only time I haven't felt that way was a few times I was using the K30 or shotgun at close range.

I guess it would be wishful thinking for DICE to have a public running list of bugs that they are aware of and are going to fix. I haven't found anything game-breaking, but spawning with the AK and not having the attachments stay as they were is pretty annoying. The spawns are also just poo poo. My last game I think something might have broke because no one was able to spawn into a tank or AA even though it showed both as available.

Hell, spawning in general is almost a crap-shoot. There are times when I will select a flag to spawn on and end up in a chopper that is about to get shot down.

Yeah a list would be nice, it just seems odd they want us to report issues on a likely 4 month old build for some reason.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

CombatBonta-kun posted:

My favorite is when you see a tank at spawn and grab it, but then it decides that instead of giving you the tank, it will spawn you at some random point.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Infidelicious posted:

It's almost like it's easier to spawn people out of LOS when there's half as many people in the game.

There are also surprisingly few LOS blockers outside of like two big buildings per objective site. The combination of like single room buildings and concrete barrier walls did a ton to let people spawn close but not just in los of 3/4 of a site

seriously there is so much flat open space with zero cover or even terrain deformation or anything on this map

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I like how if you choose to spawn at the liquid O2 tank CP on the south central part of the map sometimes it'll spawn you so far away you'll be at the little refinery/pump station CP instead

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Does the turret in the tank shake around way too much for anyone else or is that just me? It gives me motion sickness.

It's not even really a shake it just pans back and forth really quickly I hate it and don't remember it being like that in past games.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Drewsky posted:

Does the turret in the tank shake around way too much for anyone else or is that just me? It gives me motion sickness.

It's not even really a shake it just pans back and forth really quickly I hate it and don't remember it being like that in past games.

Yeah turrets are completely hosed, it gave me a headache

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

What the hell is emp scrambler poo poo

I hate it

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Alan Smithee posted:

What the hell is emp scrambler poo poo

I hate it

That's the Recon gadget. It owns to lock down vehicles.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I think I would have enjoyed the beta more if the map was different or was on Rush mode. I never really knew where I was supposed to be going a majority of the time and neither did my squad. If I had my own goon squad that would be better, but really with most games nowadays I like the ability of hopping in and hopping out whenever I want/need to.

At least with Rush I could choose between 2-3 zones I knew were critical to attack/defend. Is that coming in the full game?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

I think I would have enjoyed the beta more if the map was different or was on Rush mode. I never really knew where I was supposed to be going a majority of the time and neither did my squad. If I had my own goon squad that would be better, but really with most games nowadays I like the ability of hopping in and hopping out whenever I want/need to.

At least with Rush I could choose between 2-3 zones I knew were critical to attack/defend. Is that coming in the full game?

Technically. Breakthrough is the other big game mode at launch thats similar to Rush. Classic Rush is only available in the portal mode.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Symetrique posted:

Technically. Breakthrough is the other big game mode at launch thats similar to Rush. Classic Rush is only available in the portal mode.

24/7 rush on the new maps when

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."

Propaganda Hour posted:

Also, womp womp there are already hackers. Guy under the map shooting everyone.

https://i.imgur.com/eX8hX2g.mp4

I got stuck in literally this same spot, just kind of slid in between the sloped ground and those pipes. On my screen it looked like my character was above ground just wedged between the pipe but no enemies were able to shoot me so maybe that is what is happening here. Only way out was to redeploy.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
yeah uninstalled. I think im just bad at shooters now because theres so much visual clutter I die from unknown enemies. Ill check it out again whenever I sign up with Gamepass again.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

This is the first BF game I've touched since Battlefield 3 on 360.

I don't play a lot of AAA games, so maybe this isn't anything special, but I thought the game looks fantastic. Honestly, I'd like to just wander around this map with no enemies and admire the environment, it's pretty. The cratering/terrain modification is fun but I know that's not new.

It's buggy as gently caress, but it's a beta, and betas tend to be older builds of the game. I assume most of these bugs are known and will be/already have been fixed. Game design is a different matter.

The UI is nothing special, although some functions being only icons and not labeled is a stupid decision (the spotter position in the Nightbird apparently has a function mapped to the G key, but the icon does not make it clear what it actually does?)

I have played for ~8 hours and I have yet to see the rocket blow up once. The tornado has spawned three times, every time at the very end of the match. By the time it started moving towards the playable area the match was over. The rocket launch is...underwhelming.

I have lost any and all capability to fly aircraft. I'm playing KB+M and have been plugging in/unplugging my controller every time I want to fly anything, but the controls feel very unintuitive. I used to be decent with choppers in BC2/BF3, but I can't honestly remember what the control bindings were in those games, so maybe it's the same as it always was and I'm just extremely rusty?

I do kinda like being able to just roll with whatever loadout I want, but there really is not much teamplay if anyone can do anything. There needs to be more large-scale 'direction' with this kind of playercount, but maybe the not-Conquest-can't-remember-its-name gamemode will be better at that. I definitely agree with the class identifiability/inability to distinguish friends from enemies/enemy visibility complaints.

I'm still having a lot of fun with it, though. I want to stick it out until I get to see the tornado actually in gameplay at least once...

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

just let me press the map button and I would be 5x happier

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

D-Pad posted:

Battlefield has always had vehicle caps and every map has a different amount and possible vehicles. I really don't get this complaint. Have you never played battlefield before?

If the vehicle pools work the way I think they work, it's new and terrible.

I think that instead of there being a distinct amount of spawns of each vehicle available, you can instead pull as many vehicles in that group out. So you can have two stealth planes, two attack choppers, or one of each, but not two of each.

I think this because of the way there's 6 scout vehicles available, but only 1, 2 and 3 for the other types. Since I can't look at the map while I played, I couldn't pay super close attention. But I did once see two stealth jets up, no attack helicopter, and I couldn't spawn a chopper.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Propaganda Hour posted:

Almost forgot to add this. Enemy with a teal outline, which was the reason why I didn't shoot him and he killed me.

Something like this happened to me a lot of times. In every case they correctly showed up as an enemy until I got downed. The outlines are never consistent. sometimes it'll show enemies as friendly outlines. it'll usually show my squad mates correctly but even if there's a friendly near me that is a medic they may not even show up with a blue outline. It's really bugged.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

kri kri posted:

Yeah a list would be nice, it just seems odd they want us to report issues on a likely 4 month old build for some reason.

they don't, this is a marketing exercise.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Invalid player kit

What the gently caress

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I'm fairly certain this is the unbindable F keybind to switch between acog/rmr sight on the one scope:

Whenever I try to change the bind to something else, it fails and stays at F.
Before I first started trying to set it, the bind box was empty.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

kri kri posted:

It's mostly to network and server test. This is dice's first go at crossplay after all.
Its also meant to help with marketing, although looking at the common community hangouts it might have backfired.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

they don't, this is a marketing exercise.

DICE is really good at marketing

Mega Comrade posted:

It's mostly to network and server test. This is dice's first go at crossplay after all.

That's what the technical test was for allegedly

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

D-Pad posted:

Look I get that you're doing the must defend Bad Game 2042 at all costs gimmick but there hasn't been a single BF map in the past ever that has had only three armored vehicles, there has been a total of zero battlefield games that had a pool of vehicles instead of here are three tanks two LAVs etc etc etc.

When people are talking about caps they are talking about the second thing not why can't I have 64 vs 64 tank battles.

Also there are only four total "armored vehicles" on a 128 person map larger than any vehicle focused map ever made by Battlefield. It's very stupid in design

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Turns out a lot of performance issues come from having a Ryzen 5 1600.

Mid-level processor from four years ago, figured I was okay and my 1080 was holding me back, but the CPU is maxed out and gunfights turn into slide shows. Looking into overlocking because CPUs are expensive AF now, too.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Sedisp posted:

Look I get that you're doing the must defend Bad Game 2042 at all costs gimmick but there hasn't been a single BF map in the past ever that has had only three armored vehicles, there has been a total of zero battlefield games that had a pool of vehicles instead of here are three tanks two LAVs etc etc etc.

Battlefield 1 and V both had a vehicle pool system and its a vastly weaker system than BF4.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Sedisp posted:

When people are talking about caps they are talking about the second thing not why can't I have 64 vs 64 tank battles.

Also there are only four total "armored vehicles" on a 128 person map larger than any vehicle focused map ever made by Battlefield. It's very stupid in design

I'm not trying to defend anything. You are wrong.

1. There have been plenty of BF maps that had 2 or fewer armored vehicles.

2. BF1 had vehicle slots (as did BF V!):

So for example on Sinai Desert you get:

2 Heavy vehicles - Choose from Light tank, Heavy tank, Landship, Artillery Truck

3 (or 2) Aircraft - Choose from Fighter, Attack Plane, Bomber

Light Vehicles - Choose from armoured cars, bikes, cars etc

3 Cavalry - Only horse available

If 2 people took artillery trucks then you couldn't spawn a tank until a slot opened. Same thing in this map if 2 people take the AA vehicle you can't spawn a tank until a slot opens.

This is one map, you can't extrapolate that the whole game isn't going to have enough vehicles. There are always maps (some even big!) that are infantry focused without many vehicles.

There are plenty of valid criticisms right now about this game but lol some people seem to have never played a battlefield game.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 9, 2021

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I bought a whole new computer for this game (long time coming obviously, but this was the impetus after not being thrilled with the BFV performance).

New computer:
RTX 3080 + AMD Ryzen 5900x (12 cores, tiny OC bump) + 32 GB 3600MHz:
110-120 FPS @1440p with a high/ultra settings mix.

Now that the open beta started, my son was able to play with my old computer:
RTX 2060 Super + i7 2600k (4 cores, 8 threads, overclocked to 4.4GHz, originally bought for BF3 a decade ago) + 16 GB 1333 MHz
30-40 FPS @1080p on low settings.

Basically unplayable on my old rig, and the biggest difference I saw was the fidelity especially at longer ranges. I was just unable to see the people I easily spot on my good system. Unless they do a shitload of optimization, I made the right call upgrading now.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

modern games are increasingly CPU bound by things you can't just turn a slider down on

the old PC building advice of scrimping on CPU to get more GPU has been bad advice for a while now, you can always turn down rendering options but if your CPU bottlenecks you welp better luck next time

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

D-Pad posted:

2 Heavy vehicles - Choose from Light tank, Heavy tank, Landship, Artillery Truck

If 2 people took artillery trucks then you couldn't spawn a tank until a slot opened. Same thing in this map if 2 people take the AA vehicle you can't spawn a tank until a slot opens.

This is one map, you can't extrapolate that the whole game isn't going to have enough vehicles. There are always maps (some even big!) that are infantry focused without many vehicles.

There are plenty of valid criticisms right now about this game but lol some people seem to have never played a battlefield game.

Hold on ill answer all these points:

The way vehicles were handled in BFV and BF1 sucked. And this is somehow worse.

There's your answer.

Also lol people thinking this is an old build. Did you all not live through the battlefront launches or the last battlefield launches? This poo poo is a buggy mess and so will be whatever ships so expect launch to be just as bumpy.

Luneshot posted:

The rocket BF2042 launch is...underwhelming.

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 10, 2021

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone found that latency is better when turning cross-play off?

I'm going to go with CoD based on how laggy / jittery this game is alone.
The large scale battle is cool and all for a bit, but I just want my guy and gun to work smoothly.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

D-Pad posted:

Should say large maps have never had 2 armored vehicle slots and I had forgotten about the last two poorly received battlefield games having a bad vehicle system apologies. I should have applied my revelation about how dice designs new battlefield games.

And yes I can extrapolate from this map because every single bf beta that has come out uses the beta map as a medium size vehicles and infantry map. I have every reason to assume there will be even larger maps which is lol and smaller maps. The problem with THIS map is it is far to large and wide open with not enough vehicles. You could probably double the pool of available vehicles and still have this problem because of how lovely the map is. So unless you're arguing that this is an extremely large map that is supposed to focus on infantry.... that still has tanks planes and gunships... for.... reasons... it's extremely unlikely that your theory holds water. Traditionally combined arms maps that lean into infantry are heavily urbanized maps since it makes it harder for vehicles to operate without infantry support. This map doesn't make it hard for tanks to operate independently it just makes it hard for tanks to even do something.

ZeusCannon posted:

Also lol people thinking this is an old build. Did you all not live through the battlefront launches or the last battlefield launches? This poo poo is a buggy mess and so will be whatever ships so expect launch to be just as bumpy.

Surely THIS time the open beta will not be reflective of the final quality. Surely.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

DangerDongs posted:

Has anyone found that latency is better when turning cross-play off?

I'm going to go with CoD based on how laggy / jittery this game is alone.
The large scale battle is cool and all for a bit, but I just want my guy and gun to work smoothly.

I turned off cross play too and it’s been tons better