Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The same file will always have the same hash, digital copies are exact copies. That's why the idea of a "digital original" is nonsensical, and even uploading the NFT to a server would make that "original" a copy if you were really serious about it.

What makes an NFT and NFT is the fact you own an Ethereum coin shaving that has the URL to the JSON file linking the NFT attached, or alternatively contains the URL directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

But multiple etherium coins can point to the same url???

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

repiv posted:

Most of these projects were promising some kind of future utility to the NFTs beyond JPEG ownership, like being usable in a game that will eventually exist, then they do a runner as soon as the NFTs are all sold

Some of these runners are so quick they should be in the nfL instead of scamming various stupid people on Twitter…

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fame Douglas posted:

The same file will always have the same hash, digital copies are exact copies. That's why the idea of a "digital original" is nonsensical, and even uploading the NFT to a server would make that "original" a copy if you were really serious about it.

What makes an NFT and NFT is the fact you own an Ethereum coin shaving that has the URL to the JSON file linking the NFT attached, or alternatively contains the URL directly.

I'm sorry to tell you this

It's all nonsensical

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
remember the good ole days of bitcoin? When a pervert could return from brazil and an rear end in a top hat could buy it with his sisters college money. Those were the days

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

an rear end in a top hat could buy it with his sisters college money. Those were the days

what

link

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

remember the good ole days of bitcoin? When a pervert could return from brazil and an rear end in a top hat could buy it with his sisters college money. Those were the days

all downhill since the phone fell off the couch

over ten years ago

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
omg

The_Franz posted:

i want to think that this account is a parody, but otoh crypto/nft people are just that insane

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

My favorites were the gross computer heat-dried strawberries and the guy who passed out in his mining room and suffered permanent brain damage from the heat.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There has to be some true believers (more so than the guys who accidentally invented them at a code jam) out there looking at NFTs really confused because if you really wanted to disrupt the art ownership paradigm or whatever the gently caress then there is some bare minimum compressing and encrypting you can do so there actually is a token with assigned ownership with controlled retrieval from the Ethereum chain (or ideally some image chain instead of anything cursed with Solidity). Even if any rendering following unencrypting short circuits that its at least slightly unique from a serialized registry.

We're dealing with a type of scam that is born out of a lazy trading card implementation.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I don’t think etherium likes actual full images embedded in the block chain. It’s already nearly a terabyte, of just tiny text things. Imagine if it was images.

Actually, maybe they should do that. Let’s get the chain to a petabyte in a year.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

What if instead you start lying out your rear end about what an NFT can do both legally and technically? Seems like all the benefits without any of the work!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

kw0134 posted:

What if instead you start lying out your rear end about what an NFT can do both legally and technically? Seems like all the benefits without any of the work!

Start?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

My apologies, I might have implied that there was an honest person in the NFT space, that was an error in phrasing.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

With energy prices on the rise across the globe, what does this do to Bitcoin and various crypto currencies? I would assume that making mining more expensive would have some sort of effect on the currencies, but what that is, I have no idea. I have heard the argument that miners having to dump their earned coins faster and more often to pay the bills can hurt the price of a coin. But seeing as how the price is going up, I am not sure sure that will actually be the case.

Will it just force some individual mining groups offline and let the remainder earn more coins and remain profitable? Or will the scam just continue like it ever was? I have to imagine various rolling blackouts this winter will have some sort of a significant effect on the price. My guess is down when mining gets blamed in various regions for using energy that could go to keeping lights/heat on, but of course I will probably be dead wrong, and Bitcoin $1million by spring.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

kw0134 posted:

My apologies, I might have implied that there was an honest person in the NFT space, that was an error in phrasing.

Apology accepted, just don’t make the same mistake twice!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's the dotcom bubble all over again. People will pour their money into poo poo that doesn't do any of the poo poo people say it does, just because 'it's tech!'

It's literally Star Trek technobabble to them, and once they hear it'll solve all their problems they don't want to hear otherwise.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Orvin posted:

With energy prices on the rise across the globe, what does this do to Bitcoin and various crypto currencies? I would assume that making mining more expensive would have some sort of effect on the currencies, but what that is, I have no idea. I have heard the argument that miners having to dump their earned coins faster and more often to pay the bills can hurt the price of a coin. But seeing as how the price is going up, I am not sure sure that will actually be the case.

Will it just force some individual mining groups offline and let the remainder earn more coins and remain profitable? Or will the scam just continue like it ever was? I have to imagine various rolling blackouts this winter will have some sort of a significant effect on the price. My guess is down when mining gets blamed in various regions for using energy that could go to keeping lights/heat on, but of course I will probably be dead wrong, and Bitcoin $1million by spring.

It’s good for Bitcoin because Bitcoin is a store of energy. We’re storing up all this cheap energy to use later when energy prices go up. How you ask? Blockchain of course!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Jose Valasquez posted:

It’s good for Bitcoin because Bitcoin is a store of energy. We’re storing up all this cheap energy to use later when energy prices go up. How you ask? Blockchain of course!

Brilliant!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

necrotic posted:

I don’t think etherium likes actual full images embedded in the block chain. It’s already nearly a terabyte, of just tiny text things. Imagine if it was images.

Actually, maybe they should do that. Let’s get the chain to a petabyte in a year.

as i understand it the minting fees scale with how many bytes you want to write into the blockchain, so you totally could embed your monkey jpeg entirely on-chain, for probably tens of thousands of dollars

just embedding a link costs tens to hundreds of dollars

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jose Valasquez posted:

In many ways an on-fire garbage can is a storage of energy, yes

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i did the math out of morbid interest

this ape is 134kb https://opensea.io/assets/0xbc4ca0eda7647a8ab7c2061c2e118a18a936f13d/5224

apparently it costs 640k gas to store a kilobyte, so we need 85760000 gas

85760000 gas costs 16.20864 eth

16.20864 eth is 57,488.64 USD

sixty thousand dollars to actually store your precious ape on the blockchain instead of just a link

blockchain enthusiasts are talking about building "web 3.0" on the blockchain so they have some slight scaling issues to work out, ideally it shouldn't cost a trillion dollars to upload a video

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 10, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

costs money to make money

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Please invest in my new HighlanderCoin. Each of you who buy in is granted a single, eternal coin forever hosted on the blockchain. You may only sell your coins if you own all the currently existing coins. On death, whatever the cause, the coins in your wallet are deleted.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I think they should reduce the gas cost so they can fill up the chain. I want it to require 20tb or more, and images should do that nicely.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I want a bitcoin

Sorry, let me rephrase

I want $50,000. I do not want a bitcoin.

I have a feeling this is the exact mentality of 99% of bitcoin people, deep deep down.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
El Salvador is apparently having mass protests because their president is a Bitcoin bro and made it legal tender with expected consequences

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

From BFC:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The President of El Salvador is currently melting down on Twitter because there have been mass protests for the past week against his decision to make bitcoin legal tender.

It turns out that it is incredibly easy to just scam people by setting up a fake reason for people to send money to your wallet, authorizing even more charges later, and then sending the money out of the country.

Identity theft crimes are up 8,237%.

There have been protests every day for the last 8 days.

The government has been sending pasta to people for the last week to help people who either can't get their bitcoin apps working or have had their identity stolen and can't spend their bitcoin.

So, people have now started throwing spaghetti at the President's house.

The President has not been handling it well and has promised even more bitcoin integration and even requirements to use bitcoin for certain transactions.

People were calling him a "dictator" after those comments and he has now changed his twitter bio to:

A bunch of groups are now putting out an open letter to the IMF to try and pressure El Salvador to revert the bitcoin law.

https://twitter.com/nayibbukele/status/1445963327243444224

He thinks people are trying to tank bitcoin to oppose him politically.

https://twitter.com/nayibbukele/status/1445932816332640261

https://twitter.com/nayibbukele/status/1445624461852557312

Now, he's calling out newspapers for writing stories about the identity fraud and people missing their rent payments because the value of bitcoin changed while their transaction was being confirmed.

He says they are sending $100 million FIAT DOLLARS to state governments for UNRELATED REASONS to help them support people who had all their money stolen.

https://twitter.com/nayibbukele/status/1445453235972567041

He has also started tweeting in English to get bitcoin twitter (which is 95% English) to retweet and amplify him.

https://twitter.com/nayibbukele/status/1445923488083107845
https://twitter.com/nayibbukele/status/1445781859053408267

In the last 8 days, he has tweeted 184 times.

163 of those were just retweets of bitcoin twitter people calling him "The GOAT" and the greatest leader in the world or saying that everyone claiming to have been robbed/scammed just don't get technology and it is not bitcoin's fault/they are probably just lying to create FUDD.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So, basically just normal bitcoin poo poo

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Millions experiencing deflation in real time.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
If I was Salvadoran I reckon I would be feeling pretty deflated rn

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Run up a huge debt, pay only a little and wait until deflation makes it enough

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

necrotic posted:

you mean it isnt already that big?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

you mean it isnt already that big?

It’s just under a terabyte.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
huh would have thought one of the older buttcoin flavors would already be prohibitively large. Like didnt the SSD coin that uses space as a proof of poo poo balloon to PBs already?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

PhazonLink posted:

huh would have thought one of the older buttcoin flavors would already be prohibitively large. Like didnt the SSD coin that uses space as a proof of poo poo balloon to PBs already?

While Chia wastes petabytes of space for the mining process, the actual chain isn’t that large. Only the winning «lottery ticket» is included in the chain.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm constantly amazed that bitcoiners seriously think deflation is a good thing.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm constantly amazed that bitcoiners seriously think deflation is a good thing.

Just wait until somebody finds an old hard drive in their sock drawer and buys the whole of El Salvador.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Orvin posted:

logically an increase in the price of energy will make it harder to mine and thus the price goes up

but bitcoin is an economic freak, and it's not logical, so it's vulnerable to the exact same issue it's had for a decade now, which is "what happens if any of the dozens of people who hold six digits BTC each decides to dump it (or satoshi, who holds seven)"

jihan wu and roger ver were both threatening to do it during the big fork wars about 5 years ago, but they both blinked. someday someone won't blink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dear Ad by Khad, your first mistake was at line one.
Respectfully,