Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I was at gold until I got more than 300 hours, I've watched loads of RL YouTube's and practiced some things like dribbles.
It takes dedication, I played 8-12 hours a few days and would also freeplay practice.
Yea, this will be part of it; I’m not willing to put ‘work’ into getting better, I just want to play games and have fun. There’s things I know I’m very weak at (any time the ball is on the wall) but I already play too many videogames as it is without practicing offline as well. (Though I would quite like to figure out that fast boost / flip trick…)

Just checked and I’ve played 218 hours which I guess isn’t all that much spread across 6 years.

E: I’ll check out those videos though, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

boz posted:

I wonder how many people I helped get to diamond by being their bad opponent.

Thank you for your service

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TACD posted:

Yea, this will be part of it; I’m not willing to put ‘work’ into getting better, I just want to play games and have fun. There’s things I know I’m very weak at (any time the ball is on the wall) but I already play too many videogames as it is without practicing offline as well. (Though I would quite like to figure out that fast boost / flip trick…)

Just checked and I’ve played 218 hours which I guess isn’t all that much spread across 6 years.

That's pretty much where I'm at, I think ~250 hours over however many years here. I just play to play and slowly get better as I play more, in theory. I tried practicing before but couldn't stand it for long, closest thing I do is just play and experiment around in 1v1. I've watched/read stuff on the general game strategies so at least generally try to play with that stuff in mind.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

A little noob question - is it possible to voice chat within a party only? I want to get together with my brother tomorrow and hang out without talking to randos. Can I do that within the game or should I set up a discord?

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Use discord for it, the in game voice chat is horrible quality and makes everything sound like a garbled mess. Plus you’ll be able to chat while you’re in menus etc.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Cheers, much appreciated.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

TACD posted:

just do like 5-10 minutes of freeplay a day and hit the ball around, it's not that a big a time investment unless you're reallllly busy and it's not work unless you make it work.

everyone loves hitting the ball in rl, freeplay is just unlimited hitting the ball. even guys who play basketball at the ymca once a month still like dribbling a ball when they have one.

the ball becomes your friend when you work with it a little bit, and the game gets way more satisfying with control and intentionality with the ball.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I just got diamond on 2v2 - 1200 hours well spent

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
I came back to the game after a few years right before ftp went live and got ranked gold in 3s. Mind you, I only play enough ranked to get season rewards for wherever I place in 3s and last season that was D3. I mostly jump in/out of casual matches a lot because I don’t have much time to play games but nowadays there’s usually 3 people people in the lobby with S3 GC tags. Here’s what helped me:

Gold -> Plat
Hit the ball harder and be more patient.
Switching to a Dominus hit box helped.

Plat 1 -> Plat 3
Clear the ball harder, preferably to a teammate.
Wall challenges. Snow day helped me a lot.

Plat 3 -> Diamond 1
Honestly, quitting the game if I’m not “on it tonight.”
Also, putting air roll controls on the controller.

Rising through Diamond
Watch your opponents and teammates more than the ball. What I mean is, the ball trajectory is fixed once someone hits it, so look where the next hit is going to go, and beat the opponents to the clear.

I have fewer than 400 hours in the game since launch (half of them have happened since ftp) and only JUST learned how to fast aerial. I suppose if you learn that early it could help in niche situations at lower ranks but it has only been necessary once I have started getting lots of GCs in the new style casual lobbies.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
poo poo advice, you need to learn how to flip reset musty flick to get out of gold, git gud scrub.

(Solid actually, I’ve risen to mid champ by having decent positioning/gamesense, poor/non advanced mechanics and having teammates who are better than me)

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm new-ish to the game. Is it weird that I play with Ball Cam on about 90% of the time? I find that it's too hard to keep track of it (even with the arrow) otherwise and also the camera is to wobbly in normal mode. I know you can tone it down, but it's still too stiff.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Using ballcam the majority of the time is so important that I don't know why it's not the default. You don't really need to see where you're going like a standard driving game, as you'll develop a sense of where the walls and goals are. The ball is generally what you need to focus on, as everything else happens around the ball, so you want it in the centre of your screen. That way not only can you see where it is and where it's going, but around and behind it you can also see who's in position to go for it next and react accordingly.

You'll want to turn it off briefly for select situations where either you're off the ball and going for boost or a bump, or if you're bad you might need it briefly for recoveries, maybe you're hurtling through the air, miss the ball ,and need to take ballcam off so you can adjust to land on the wall you're about to crash into. You'd also turn it off for some dribbling moves, because small movements that close to the ball can swing the camera wildly, but you don't need to worry about that until you can actually do it reliably.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Nah that's normal. There's times when it's helpful to turn it off like when you're dribbling or scanning for boost, but in general ball cam will give you the best view of what's going on and you should be spending a majority of your time in it.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I'm new-ish to the game. Is it weird that I play with Ball Cam on about 90% of the time? I find that it's too hard to keep track of it (even with the arrow) otherwise and also the camera is to wobbly in normal mode. I know you can tone it down, but it's still too stiff.

Yeah honestly 90% seems pretty low. :v:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Ah ok, thanks! Yeah, it threw me off because the game seems to treat it as something you should use sparingly since by default it has flashing "ball cam" text and gives you the option to press and hold for it.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

You can turn off the YOU'RE IN BALL CAM indicator text. I just have the arrow. (If you prefer that)

I stupidly tried to play without ball cam until I was bordering on Plat. Had to unlearn tons of stuff. So good for you for skipping that. :)

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I'm in high diamond now, and I've noticed a move that my teammates do constantly: I'm 3rd man back on defense and the ball is coming towards us. I say "I got it!" but one of my two teammates decides they wanna do a little defending on their way back and go for an awkward touch. I miss the defense I had lined up, their touch is bad and the ball just goes up into the air over our goal and we get dunked on. is there a name for this idiocy so that i can ask teammates to stop doing that or something? it's really annoying. when I'm driving back to defense, I always look for the defender because 80% of the time they got it, as they stayed back on d for a purpose

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

hey mom its 420 posted:

is there a name for this idiocy?

cutting rotation

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Unfortunately, actually talking to your teammates is almost never a good idea. They will always, always, always do things like that. They cut rotations, try to be too clever, try to be the hero and win the game by themselves. They're almost never going to make a meaningful correction, because at that level that is just part of how they play. They're not deciding to cut in, they are just doing it because cutting in is what they have learned to do in those situations. (bad plays are easily reinforced behaviours because as long as you avoid getting scored on you can tell yourself the play worked, and if you do get scored on you can just blame bad teammates)

With the RL community being the way it is, your best outcome is that your teammate ignores you. Flip a coin; if it lands, said teammate is going to take your criticisms very personally and the coin then decides whether your teammate stops playing completely to rant at you about how bad you are, or if they're going to focus on bumping you and scoring own goals.

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
When folks are cutting rotation, you just need to sit back and wait for their touch as they will continue to do so.

I have had much success in the past couple of months incorporating demos into my rotations. So much so that I have changed the name I go by. Some folks might consider me a gimmick account, but now that I’ve got my game plan I can’t go back to “playing normal.” Sorry if you’ve ever played with Demo Ted. I want to share my three basic tricks (in 3s) that are fairly devastating to opponents’ morale.

1. Defensive demo: this one I’m sure a lot of you already do sometimes, but when clearing the ball from your corner, if your touch doesn’t result in a clear to their side of the field, instead of harmlessly rotating to back post, get a bump or demo on someone setting up to dunk on you.

2. Offensive demo: when one teammate is taking the ball up the side of the field and your other one is going mid for the follow-up, watch for the teammate in control to make it past one defender so your team is in a potential 3v2 situation. As soon as you know it’s gonna happen, demo/bump the person in the goal (there is always someone in the goal.) You have now created a 2v1 situation in which you are able to rotate out quickly enough to defend.

3. Spawn kills: people can spawn on one side of the field or the other. If there is one person on the other team that you know is carrying, look for the opportunity to spawn kill. If you catch a demo on their side of the field and have more than 30 boost, chances are you can get the spawn kill if you guess which side they spawn on. Usually, they will spawn on the same side of the field as the ball, from what I can tell. Plus, in this mode of play, you’re usually taking all the boost on their goal line. Extended play on their side of the field doing this can net you goals as they don’t have the boost to return to position as your teammates get hit after hit.

Bonus: People returning to net will get used to you going for offensive demos and most folks champion and up will start to jump in net to avoid you. You can still get the demo but oftentimes you can wait for them to land then put them in a forced rule 1 or sideways rule 1 situation which can keep them out of position for much longer.

If you play like this remember: if someone types to you in chat, you’re in their head. Just don’t get discouraged or become salty yourself as now you are the reason why your team has won or lost, depending on who is doing the typing.

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.

hey mom its 420 posted:

I'm in high diamond now, and I've noticed a move that my teammates do constantly: I'm 3rd man back on defense and the ball is coming towards us. I say "I got it!" but one of my two teammates decides they wanna do a little defending on their way back and go for an awkward touch. I miss the defense I had lined up, their touch is bad and the ball just goes up into the air over our goal and we get dunked on. is there a name for this idiocy so that i can ask teammates to stop doing that or something? it's really annoying. when I'm driving back to defense, I always look for the defender because 80% of the time they got it, as they stayed back on d for a purpose

99% of the time, using quick chat to claim the ball is ignored by your teammates - either they aren't paying attention, there's not enough time to adjust or they see it and just don't care.

Keeping an eye on your teammates in that situation is crucial, especially at lower ranks. Sometimes they'll even inadvertantly create a good pass with their pathetic dinks at the ball, or fake the opponent when they sail through the air only to whiff the ball completely. Playing conservatively and smartly with teammates like that works best for me anyway - and when you finally do get the ball, try to slow down the play, because they'll probably be rushing back to get the back boost and won't be there in time for your pass unless you take your time.

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
Some recent highlights

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

There were 1.6 million people on last night which is pretty cool

This post is from the first page but as someone who played the beta and made the first thread years ago it is just crazy how popular this game got. A lot of goons and myself thought it was going to be something special, but not 1.6 million people concurrently special. I remember being super surprised with 130k not long after launch.

I haven't touched the game in probably 3 years so maybe I'll have to give it a try again. I did try linking my PS4 account to Epic but got confused or couldn't merge it with my actual Epic account and just gave up without because I don't want to lose all my progress.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

cage-free egghead posted:

This post is from the first page but as someone who played the beta and made the first thread years ago it is just crazy how popular this game got. A lot of goons and myself thought it was going to be something special, but not 1.6 million people concurrently special. I remember being super surprised with 130k not long after launch.

I haven't touched the game in probably 3 years so maybe I'll have to give it a try again. I did try linking my PS4 account to Epic but got confused or couldn't merge it with my actual Epic account and just gave up without because I don't want to lose all my progress.

Its just got so many cool factors, high skill ceiling, simple concept, short games, i maybe only play 20 minutes a day buy its always fun

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still relatively new to this, but yeah it's great. Simple concept, no "rules", but a lot to master and everything you do matters. One slip-up can result in your team losing so I don't feel myself going on "autopilot". I also feel like its a better sports game than any real sports games (not that I play them) because you're in full control over one player on the field as opposed to like, inputting commands to the whole team from an above view.

My only complaint is that the time of day seems to have a big impact on the quality of matches. I find if I play before late night the players are all just trying to touch the ball as much as possible and there's usually no attempt at teamwork.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

There's a district change of player style in the mid afternoon when school's out for the day. Midday I think it's wfh people because I get a lot more teamwork and positivity

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
People are drinking alcohol and playing more the later it gets. A good advantage for a sober player/team unless their drunken master state surprises you.

My most expensive Xbox controller elite II has stick drift so I'm sending that back under warranty.

I'm gonna try the thrust master eswapx pro so I can just switch the analog stick out if it happens down the road.

The xbox elite series II had the r1 fail in 4 months, but taking it apart I fixed it.
Then stick drift which only fixes for an hour at a time. Very annoying.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

People are drinking alcohol and playing more the later it gets. A good advantage for a sober player/team unless their drunken master state surprises you.

I mean, that could be a factor, sure, but I was thinking more along the lines of when the kids are home from school and playing as Rodney mentioned. There's definitely a distinct difference in teamwork and I can tell when it's probably a bunch of kids screwing around. The game is much, much better when your teammates practice even the most minimal amount of teamwork.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

My most expensive Xbox controller elite II has stick drift so I'm sending that back under warranty.

I'm gonna try the thrust master eswapx pro so I can just switch the analog stick out if it happens down the road.

The xbox elite series II had the r1 fail in 4 months, but taking it apart I fixed it.
Then stick drift which only fixes for an hour at a time. Very annoying.

I really like my PowerA Fusion. $40 and it has been reliable for 6+ months now and counting. It also has a mappable button on each grip.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I've found that there are certain times (I can't remember when they are, sadly) where a significant portion of the player base is Quebecois. Like, with QC in a club tag or the front of their screen name and chatting in French.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

hey mom its 420 posted:

I had a particularly frustrating diamond tournament last season where one of my teammates was mechanically quite good, and used this slight advantage to be the most single minded ballchaser. Normally it's not too bad but I had several clears where I beat the opponent but because he was blasting back from being upfield, had no situational awareness, and lacked trust, I'd end up 50'ing his hard challenge and it put us in a worse situation. Not bad once, but on the 13th time I'm fighting my own team for the ball I just want that behavior punished more than I want a win.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Hello thread,

I've been playing car soccer for a few months now and I'm wondering if anyone uses the trade function at all.
I could use a Fennec because I don't like a lot of the Octane options and drive under the ball too much when I play Dominus. If anyone has a blueprint or dupe floating around maybe we could work something out!

My epic tag is antihobo

Feel free to add me for games too but I am bad. My two step cycle is: 1. Get to plat. 2. Play with my friends who should be in bronze and get dragged down to gold again.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Math You posted:

Hello thread,

I've been playing car soccer for a few months now and I'm wondering if anyone uses the trade function at all.
I could use a Fennec because I don't like a lot of the Octane options and drive under the ball too much when I play Dominus. If anyone has a blueprint or dupe floating around maybe we could work something out!

My epic tag is antihobo

Feel free to add me for games too but I am bad. My two step cycle is: 1. Get to plat. 2. Play with my friends who should be in bronze and get dragged down to gold again.

If you join the Discord (link in the OP), there's a trading channel where you can post asks / haves, usually someone can make a deal.

Also, it's a good place to get someone to party up with.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

It's interesting, I started out playing octane and then switched to fennec. even though it uses the same hitbox and properties, it felt better to me somehow, probably beause the model covers its hitbox better. now that I'm in high diamond, I find myself switching back to octane, also not fully sure why. I find it somehow easier to do aerials or something because the car is more pointy? So it's kind of easier to tell where your car is pointed. It could all just be in my head though

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

hey mom its 420 posted:

It's interesting, I started out playing octane and then switched to fennec. even though it uses the same hitbox and properties, it felt better to me somehow, probably beause the model covers its hitbox better. now that I'm in high diamond, I find myself switching back to octane, also not fully sure why. I find it somehow easier to do aerials or something because the car is more pointy? So it's kind of easier to tell where your car is pointed. It could all just be in my head though

The placebo is extremely strong in this game. There's loads of octane hitbox cars and they "feel" different because of how they look.

People like the squared off cars like the Dominus and Fennec (and Breakout, but not nearly as much anymore) because the hitbox has sharp corners too, it helps with judging the true hitbox corners I guess.

Basically play with whatever you want but just know [my-car] is objectively the best.

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
We need a new Merc hitbox car in a bad way. :(

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
still playing breakout type s.

Looks good, never gonna change. You can't make me.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
A six pack and Demo Ted style is a great stress reliever.

Lol demoted

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Woodchip posted:

A six pack and Demo Ted style is a great stress reliever.

Lol demoted
Yeah I watched a ton of woody clips #2 demos and was inspired to de rank some last month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Use the Joker boost for added ptsd