Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://files.catbox.moe/uugsit.webm

Kazinsal posted:

Once again this is the *most* functional beta :dice: has ever put out. I'm genuinely surprised that the only major bugs I experienced were "map doesn't work", "opening settings changes your resolution to 1024x768" and "reticle for AA missile doesn't appear so you have to lock and fire by audio cues".

Alan Smithee posted:

"vehicles dont spawn" is a p big one
Map doesn't work is the biggest one for me, since that actively annoyed me every second I was alive and I kept hitting the M key and remembering "oh yeah that doesn't loving work"

But I will also say the lag and rubberbanding and teleporting around never ended for me, it just came and went intermittently, the movement never felt right, and I would have loved to try the suggestion everyone made recently to turn off the crossplay EVEN ON THE PC VERSION but since they ended the beta prematurely I guess that's that.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Yami Fenrir posted:

I'm just lolling at the people convincing themselves this will be a forever bad game.

The Beta has a lot of issues yeah but like, :dice: launches are a thing and they have a good track record of fixing stuff afterwards (See: BF4, the literal prequel to this game)

And you can even play Portal if you want the old gameplay styles back. I personally probably won't play All-Out Warfare all that much, but the smaller modes and Hazard Zone seem good alternatives.

It's not like that the ultra-clusterfuck of All-Out Warfare is the only gameplay mode available.

I think they'll get it fixed up, but also the last BF they released I stopped playing because they had an extremely common invisible soldiers bug that persisted for at least a month. Then they partially fixed it but made vehicles invisible instead and still occasionally soldiers would be partly invisible.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Flying in this game is just so counter intuitive. I don't think I've ever played anything so weird whether with KBM or controller.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Doctor Butts posted:

Flying in this game is just so counter intuitive. I don't think I've ever played anything so weird whether with KBM or controller.

I'm not quite sure what they hosed up because flying helicopters was perfect in the technical test just 2 months ago

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Mulva posted:

If you want your assault dude to only use certain equipment, just use that equipment. If you are physically incapable of adapting to a world where any random looking dude can be packing anything, well, that seems like a you problem.

Plenty of games do it this way and that's fine. It's just part of battlefields thing has been the squad balance meta. At present that seems to have been mostly scrapped.

Personally I find taking away a core aspect of the series' identity an issue.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

lol at that opening frag kill, I don't know why people go through that corridor of death.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

My big question is: do people actually drop ammo? Or is it yet more "I give myself ammo because no one else ever loving will and I'm always out of loving gun food"?

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Doctor Butts posted:

I felt so slow and lumbering in helis. Then last night I randomly came across WidgityBear's Twitch stream. He was prominent during BF4 as a little bird streamer / YouTuber. Seems he took a long break and is not full-time, but is starting to stream again. He could be very annoying and often hella salty, but drat the dude can fly. And watching him play in the LB in the beta was like watching someone play a different game for me.

Gonkish posted:

My big question is: do people actually drop ammo? Or is it yet more "I give myself ammo because no one else ever loving will and I'm always out of loving gun food"?

I dropped ammo constantly, and if I needed for myself, I would at least try to drop it near a clump of friendlies. But without seeing the points roll in, and your place rise in the leaderboard, it didn't feel the same. I know there are the ribbons, but for some reason getting the ribbons in earlier titles felt more satisfying.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Sedisp posted:

It took me a while to realize that helicopters feel so bad because they are entirely geared towards moving in a cardinal direction only which is why they have no momentum.

Im really confused by this take. This implies that BFs helos move like every other video game helo where u push the stick forward to move the helo forward like in GTA, Far Cry, etc

The thing is, they dont work like that at all in the beta. Ive flown the helos for hours and they absolutely have a ton of momentum. In fact, momentum is essentially how youre supposed to fly. You basically fall to wherever youre going. You can pull off awesome maneuvers in this game that are impossible to do in almost any other game due to the momentum-based flying

I really enjoyed the flying in the beta. Helos were extremely quick and agile. At one point, i was in a littlebird getting locked on by an attack helo around point B. I had low health and my flares were on cooldown so I had to do something desperate.

I decided to fly into the open hanger through the back of B and somehow made it through to the front entrance without crashing. I then swooped around the building and found the attack helo hovering by the back entrance and lit his aas up. Felt like such a pro

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Terrible and dumb.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Gonkish posted:

No not really, only times I remember seeing ammo crates from pubbies were on top of B because everybody loves to sit up there and launch rockets or snipe. Other than that, I guess if you're playing with goons or friends, someone might run an ammo crate. I wouldn't worry too much about this specifically because they did change the gadget restrictions in BFV I think or was it BF1? I remember in one of the more recent games, people complained and dice moved the gadgets around to let people pick things more freely. Also, after playing with the med crate I can tell you that tryhard infantry players will definitely use that over the launcher, or even switch to Falck for the ability to heal themselves and free up that slot for something else. My guess is we'll see more variety on some of the smaller maps and also when they add points for resupplying.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
This game will be perfectly fine in a few months after patches when i dont pay for it and play it on gamepass.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I've been enjoying the beta despite the jank. I think there's def the makings of a pretty fun game if they can fix a few things...

-Guns feel pretty unsatisfactory and I think they need feedback for hits and kills.

-Can't toggle the 2x/4x scope or whatever it is

-UI/UX sucks I don't understand how to do anything in any of the menus

- Tornado and weather on the map is pretty cool

- The DMR/Battle Rifle feels pretty lovely I think related to the bullet drop stuff

- Not really sure if I'm using the medic heal gun correctly? Unsure of range or if it even works in the beta

It does crescendo quite nicely though if you can get a stack or group going and you start snowballing around so that gives me hope.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I played for a couple more hours last night and had a pretty good time to be honest. I keep going back and fourth, but I also think there is a good game in here. My last couple of matches our squad stuck together, took points and revived each other. It was a good time. I'll probably buy this, but no pre-order this time and no expensive version. I want to see how the launch goes first.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

afkmacro posted:

No not really, only times I remember seeing ammo crates from pubbies were on top of B because everybody loves to sit up there and launch rockets or snipe. Other than that, I guess if you're playing with goons or friends, someone might run an ammo crate. I wouldn't worry too much about this specifically because they did change the gadget restrictions in BFV I think or was it BF1? I remember in one of the more recent games, people complained and dice moved the gadgets around to let people pick things more freely. Also, after playing with the med crate I can tell you that tryhard infantry players will definitely use that over the launcher, or even switch to Falck for the ability to heal themselves and free up that slot for something else. My guess is we'll see more variety on some of the smaller maps and also when they add points for resupplying.

yeah i used ammo box exactly once on B roof. Which came in handy because I was taunting a sniper near F and unloaded an LMG at them hitting exactly once before running out of ammo for both 1 and 2

didn't really make a difference but it was nice

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I had some fun with the beta in spite of the bugs but I can't imagine paying full price if it's still this buggy at launch (and it probably will be). Looking forward to picking it up sometime down the line when they've fixed a lot of stuff though, I think there's real potential but it really seems like a game that should come out next year instead.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
After playing bfv more I can safely say there is a ton of QoL improvements that really make teamwork easy and fun.

Which may come as a shock to other people in this thread but I actually had a TON of random people both in my squad and just on my team, playing with us, working together, throwing ammo, reviving, building fortifications.

It's almost like all the decisions in 2042 actively discourage that .... Hmmmmmmm

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Gonkish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v5YLqcqync

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I'm sure you'll see more teamwork in smaller game modes. A 128 player game mode mostly lends itself to chaos. No one wants to run to a downed ally to try and revive them when there's like 30 enemies in the vicinity and you die instantly to shadowy figures in the periphery

I loved to revive people in the other games but it's just too chaotic in this gamemode. Whenever I try to be a good teammate while playing solo I just get shot to death. It's a whole other story in a dedicated squad. You can keep eachother alive forever with some teamwork

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Collapsing Farts posted:

I'm sure you'll see more teamwork in smaller game modes. A 128 player game mode mostly lends itself to chaos. No one wants to run to a downed ally to try and revive them when there's like 30 enemies in the vicinity and you die instantly to shadowy figures in the periphery

I loved to revive people in the other games but it's just too chaotic in this gamemode. Whenever I try to be a good teammate while playing solo I just get shot to death. It's a whole other story in a dedicated squad. You can keep eachother alive forever with some teamwork

That, and it takes for loving ever to revive someone compares to other games in the franchise (except BFV squad revive). And picking up fallen kit instead of reviving is so common I can't believe they left it like this.

Also I find it hilarious we are defibbing someone still conscious and active on the ground to revive someone.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly classes were kinda bad anyway, you get stuck with some dumb second function you don't want to have as punishment for taking the type of weapon you want to use.

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007
Jfc what is with the mentality with the maxed out fov? Are all pc players wall-eyed fish people? Back in my day we played with the default visuals and liked it, even learned to ADAPT to the environment as enabled by my HUMAN brain. Was a better player for it too!!!1

Oh you have an in-game “advantage?” Too bad the only one who can watch your stream is admiral ackbar

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
What's the point of the AP ammo for LMGs? False hope? Even if you hit every round of a belt, what do you do, 20% damage?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

AlternateAccount posted:

What's the point of the AP ammo for LMGs? False hope? Even if you hit every round of a belt, what do you do, 20% damage?

I mean, that's pretty good deterrence for a non-AT weapon.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

AlternateAccount posted:

Getting helicopters to gently caress off

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Panzeh posted:

Honestly classes were kinda bad anyway, you get stuck with some dumb second function you don't want to have as punishment for taking the type of weapon you want to use.

This kind of brain worms opinion is why all of the popular shooter franchises are slowly morphing into one undefinable blob.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Skyarb posted:

This kind of brain worms opinion is why all of the popular shooter franchises are slowly morphing into one undefinable blob.

I know when i want the light machine gun i shouldn't be able to carry a wrench because that would be bad. If you want squad, squad's there for you.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Panzeh posted:

I know when i want the light machine gun i shouldn't be able to carry a wrench because that would be bad. If you want squad, squad's there for you.

Or you know, if I want battlefield, battlefield has been this exact thing for every single title except for this one. How can you be this dumb?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Skyarb posted:

Or you know, if I want battlefield, battlefield has been this exact thing for every single title except for this one. How can you be this dumb?

In Vietnam, you got the AT weapon with it, and in 1942 you got uh, nothing with the LMG, it was the assault kit weapon.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Panzeh posted:

In Vietnam, you got the AT weapon with it, and in 1942 you got uh, nothing with the LMG, it was the assault kit weapon.

So then you've just hated every single battlefield title I guess because you couldn't completely customize your loadout. Its rad to know EA is catering to your broken brain instead of people who liked class limitations in every single title ever produced under the franchise.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Panzeh posted:

Battlefield 4 was 90% there with every class being able to use shotguns, dmrs, smgs, pistols, and grenades. If 2042 just made it as flexible for every weapon class, while still keeping classes all the same, it would be fine.

The problem is they threw the baby out with the bathwater, and just ditched all the classes entirely.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’m all for weapon-agnostic classes but classes is still a part of that. Engineers in BF4 for example were at a pretty big disadvantage on a lot of maps without using carbines.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Charles 1998 posted:

Battlefield 4 was 90% there with every class being able to use shotguns, dmrs, and smgs. If 2042 just made it as flexible for every weapon class, it would be fine.

The problem is they threw the baby out with the bathwater, and just ditched all the classes entirely.

Yeah i wouldn't mind it too much if they just let you use whatever small arm you want with the kits.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Some global weapons like shotguns I think is ok, but I actually think weapon limiting by class leads to really good balance decisions sometimes (not all the time though). Like BFV feels great. Medics are undergunned by a huge margin, smgs shred up close but suck at range and will lose to anyhting else 9/10. But thats fine because their class abilities are super strong. Revives are swift and effective, they can self heal and team heal infinitely. They are balanced through weaker weapons due to their incredibly strong teamplay ability. Its my favorite class.

Plus knowing that snipers are going to typically not have weapons for range encounters means pushing them can be incredibly effective.

Its a core part of the battlefield formula I love, and well, I guess its just gone now.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Skyarb posted:

Some global weapons like shotguns I think is ok, but I actually think weapon limiting by class leads to really good balance decisions sometimes (not all the time though). Like BFV feels great. Medics are undergunned by a huge margin, smgs shred up close but suck at range and will lose to anyhting else 9/10. But thats fine because their class abilities are super strong. Revives are swift and effective, they can self heal and team heal infinitely. They are balanced through weaker weapons due to their incredibly strong teamplay ability. Its my favorite class.

Plus knowing that snipers are going to typically not have weapons for range encounters means pushing them can be incredibly effective.

Its a core part of the battlefield formula I love, and well, I guess its just gone now.
Yeah, everytime I choose to spawn in Battlefield 1, I have to really consider my decision on what class to bring, and the weapons also factor heavily into that. An old article I found about why dice chose wwi is because all the weapons were very distinct from one another compared to other eras, and it really shows.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ah, classic Battlefield. No one drops ammo, ever.

Seriously, the ONE THING they should have taken from Hardline was GRABBING loving AMMO from the otherwise useless window lickers by walking up to them and pressing a button. Instead, they just... didn't do that. At all. Ever. Because that would be useful?

Ugh.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
"If I want the machine gun, I gotta be the guy with the ammo" being just as important as "if I want the ammo, I gotta be the guy with the machine gun" is the core of class selection and why it's always worked. If you wanted assault rifles in 4, you gotta be the medic. If you want a rocket launcher, you gotta have the repair kit. This is just smart class stuff and it's been around since BC2BF2, so people who like to play support don't end up helpless and guys who like to shoot the gun have things that can help others.

It's downright bizarre to see it go out the window. Who gets what always gets shifted around, and apparently anti-armor got turned into a utility come BF1, but it's always been there and is, genuinely, the core of battlefield gameplay. "I'm this guy, I carry this stuff" is how BF has worked since 1942 and it's no surprise that as it's gone out the window the gameplay feels off.

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 10, 2021

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

It’s also bizarre since the assault class could take 2 gadgets to deal with tanks/vehicles in BF1 but now you just get 1 and not enough ammo for it.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Gonkish posted:

Ah, classic Battlefield. No one drops ammo, ever.

Seriously, the ONE THING they should have taken from Hardline was GRABBING loving AMMO from the otherwise useless window lickers by walking up to them and pressing a button. Instead, they just... didn't do that. At all. Ever. Because that would be useful?

Ugh.

BFV has this as well fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Unless a gameplay feature in a previous game was both part of the first release and everyone liked every part of it you have to get rid of it for the next game.