Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Paperback Writer posted:

the Western VIP actors were all really poo poo. Really one of the only glaringly bad things of the show for me.

It's nice to see the Anglosphere getting a taste of their own medicine for once.

I absolutely adored this show, easily one of the best in its genre. The problem with these shows/novels/whatever is always that my interest starts to wane as more and more people die and the cast gets down to just the protagonists but luckily the show doesn't overstay its welcome in this regard. My favorite death is the mathematician guy calculating his odds and just deciding 'gently caress it, let's speedrun this thing' in the glass panels section.

What a great show. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Finished the show last night. Loved it, but I had a chuckle when I realized the ending was basically the same ending as Escape Room.

Which reminds me, I still need to see the sequel to that.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Vandar posted:

Which reminds me, I still need to see the sequel to that.

:hmmyes:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm assuming that means it's good.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The true message of Squid Game: never trust a boomer

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I wonder if they’ll address the small private army the games employ in season two. I guess looking back at the games, not a whole ton of people are eliminated ambiguously, but some mentioned earlier that Ali could technically still be alive makes me think it might be interesting if other losers got conscripted. The games look like they’ve been operating for a few decades.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I asked my mom about bbopgi (the honeycomb) and she said it was common for kids to lick the backside

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Regarding ambiguous deaths: Episode 7 opens with a shot of Ali with a gunshot wound in his head. I dooooon't think he's coming back.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Chamale posted:

In the first episodes, I was wondering when someone would try to grab a gun from a guard. During the Squid Game, there was a point where the guard slowly turned with his holster in reach of either characters - one of them could have grabbed the gun and shot his opponent if he wanted to, but neither one did.

That's the genius of the majority vote rule - without it, the show would devolve into a 'protags vs the evil system that compels them', but the vote affords them the illusion of choice. (It is, of course, only an illusion, yay capitalism) They aren't struggling to escape or survive against their oppressors, they're struggling to win against each other. They all "chose" to return, even fully knowing the stakes. They were afforded a chance to escape it but they choose to go back, and that modicum of agency invests them into the nightmare. Any thought of subverting the rules or the system itself is gone at that point.

With all that said, expectations for season 2 are rock bottom. It feels like something that was conceived as a single arc, there's not much else to explore beyond that. It reminds me of True Detective in that regard. That said, it's too hot a property to NOT continue, so I guess we'll find out.

I dunno, maybe if it were the exact same setup but with a new cast it could be pretty good, but I doubt they'll be able to bottle the lightning again.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 10, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

McKilligan posted:

That's the genius of the majority vote rule - without it, the show would devolve into a 'protags vs the evil system that compels them', but the vote affords them the illusion of choice.

I loving adored the fact that some people decided not to return.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This guy gives some interesting historical context

https://mobile.twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1446848977056456705

Unfortunately he also seems to believe that Korea should reunify but with the North running things because American imperialism is apparently worse than living under the DPRK.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Sounds like half the people that post on these forums.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Question, were the hanging button on the detective's jumpsuit and the loose screw on the vent cover in the bathroom ever revisited or addressed? The camera lingered on them for a while but I don't remember any payoff to either of them. Were they red herrings or maybe dropped/cut plotlines? I binged it all in one go so I might have missed it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

As Nero Danced posted:

Question, were the hanging button on the detective's jumpsuit and the loose screw on the vent cover in the bathroom ever revisited or addressed? The camera lingered on them for a while but I don't remember any payoff to either of them. Were they red herrings or maybe dropped/cut plotlines? I binged it all in one go so I might have missed it.
I'd like to know this too.

I wasn't exactly on my phone while spinning in an office chair, but I'd wager I missed some shots here and there.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Wasn't the hanging button from passing notes to the contestants? Or maybe it was a way to show who the cop was?

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

As Nero Danced posted:

I thought the hanging button was just a device to allow us to easily distinguish the detective from other guards, not that it would be important later. Dunno about the loose screw though. My opinion is that the lingering shot on the screw established how precarious the coverup of the grate entry was - and that any further attempts to skirt the rules of the game could easily result in death.

I'm pretty sure neither of these details specifically came up later.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Robobot posted:

Or maybe it was a way to show who the cop was?

it's this

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I still couldn't distinguish the cop from the others despite that button thing.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

I thought the hanging button was just a device to allow us to easily distinguish the detective from other guards, not that it would be important later. Dunno about the loose screw though. My opinion is that the lingering shot on the screw established how precarious the coverup of the grate entry was - and that any further attempts to skirt the rules of the game could easily result in death.

I'm pretty sure neither of these details specifically came up later.

That makes sense to me, my own guess was at most they were just details we/the characters were aware of but couldn't do anything about, just to keep us worried they would get caught and exposed. I figured with as much care had gone into the writing (you can tell the writer spent a decade tweaking the little details, it's a masterpiece) it couldn't be something like an abandoned plot.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Just finished the show and it was good. I really liked that you got to see the whole thing from multiple perspectives - both from behind the scenes thanks to the cop and from the pov of the contestants. Good stuff

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Elite posted:

Comparison with Hunger Games: Saw someone bring up Hunger Games earlier in the thread and I have to say I really didn't like Hunger Games. I think most death game (or debt game) stories work because they're a twisted reflection of society. In Squid Game the games are brutal and arbitrary, but they're arguably people's best bet to claw themselves out of the holes they're stuck in hence why people willingly participate. Other stories can have cruel games that are arguably fairer than the real world, or harsh stakes that functionally resemble what happens in the real world anyway.

Hunger Games in comparison made literally 0 sense to me. That world makes no sense and it's comments on society really don't ring true for me. In real life the inequalities of the world stem more from selfishness and indifference to other people's suffering (and finding various contortions to justify this), rather than a deliberate wanton desire to inflict cruelty upon people for sport. Like I said I'm a sucker for death game / debt game / battle royale stuff but I really didn't like the first Hunger Games movie and saw no reason to give the series further chances.

Hunger Games is a clear reflection of society, just not one that many Goons are likely to agree with.

You have hard working salt-of-the-Earth people who love god and each other on their farms oppressed by a cabal of effete urban homosexuals who both mooch off their work and celebrate their deaths.

A brave hero who speaks truth to power gets an unstoppable following and they kill all the urban homosexuals.

The movie and book have a quick fig leaf where one of the proud noble Republicans is black. You'll note the meltdown fans of the book had at her blackness in the movie because in a book its easy to just imagine the character is white.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The best death contest game in a movie/TV series is still the original Battle Royale.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

I wonder if part of this shows massive success is how incredibly visually striking it is. When you've only got that 10 second Netflix autoplay segment to grab peoples attention you've got to really stand out and I think the set design, costuming and bright primary colors really do that. Certainly it's what got my attention.

I can't help but feel the more conventional design would be to be grim and dark or clinical and white, and if they'd done that the show would have sunk without a trace among the thousands of other similar, forgettable shows.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think the show would’ve been a hit without the production design, the story is just too compelling

I’m also confident in saying that Squid Game surpasses Battle Royale as a death game, the episodic format really gives you time to get attached to characters and flesh out their stories, making each loss way more painful. I’m also way more fond of the criticism of capitalism in Squid Game

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Random Integer posted:

I wonder if part of this shows massive success is how incredibly visually striking it is. When you've only got that 10 second Netflix autoplay segment to grab peoples attention you've got to really stand out and I think the set design, costuming and bright primary colors really do that. Certainly it's what got my attention.

I can't help but feel the more conventional design would be to be grim and dark or clinical and white, and if they'd done that the show would have sunk without a trace among the thousands of other similar, forgettable shows.

Get ready for a lot of O,X and △ halloween costumes

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

I’m also confident in saying that Squid Game surpasses Battle Royale as a death game, the episodic format really gives you time to get attached to characters and flesh out their stories, making each loss way more painful.

You should read the manga and/or novel.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
No one is going to read the manga.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
I don't think I've ever seen a death game thing where I've given a poo poo about more than one (at most) of the characters who dies.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

screaden posted:

Get ready for a lot of O,X and △ halloween costumes

Please. All you need a shirt & a hoodie with 3 numbers on it. Costume done! You can even just sew on the 456 to your shirt, easy as poo poo.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
It's a culture not a costume.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Squid Show costumes are cultural appropriation, don’t do it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
X is not part of Korean culture, only ㅇ,ㅁ and △

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Random Integer posted:

note that when Sarandos was talking about squid game's success he specifically mentioned high numbers of people who checked it out, not even watched any single episode in full. being enticed by the ridiculously interesting still on the front page is enough for netflix

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Paperback Writer posted:

the Western VIP actors were all really poo poo. Really one of the only glaringly bad things of the show for me.

Jerkface posted:

Or if they used that voice style but said stuff that was less cringe, it'd be fine.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Maybe that's just what Korean's think American billionaires are like?

Or maybe it's a bit of casting payback for all the American TV shows and films with bad Asian actors?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
yea man elon musk is hella cringe but if they had a slightly dorky guy with a Afrikaner accent going on saying cringe stuff it'd be better than what we got. Its kinda like how trump is a big huge weirdo in how he talks and what he says, but its really hard to actually mimic it effectively, which is why the best "impersonation" of trump is that guy on twitter who rambles about random poo poo like pokemon in trumps speech pattern.

theres just something authentic missing in the performances

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

withak posted:

It’s celebrating a popular show from South Korea. It’s fine as long as people aren’t racist about it.

The natural conclusion from your statement is that Non Americans dressing as the majority of superheroes is cultural appropriation and that is crazy.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

withak posted:

Yea, also don't participate in any cosplay or comic cons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Jerkface posted:

theres just something authentic missing in the performances

Yeah, I'm not bothered that VIPs are portrayed as awkward dipshits talking in cliches. The problem is that it comes off as the show's production failing, rather than a deliberate choice in the characters' writing.