Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Beta is over and I never figured out how to open the map or scoreboard. Did they change the hotkey, or is it just not enabled in the beta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Cardboard Fox posted:

Beta is over and I never figured out how to open the map or scoreboard. Did they change the hotkey, or is it just not enabled in the beta?

Map wasn't working or wasn't enabled

Scoreboard was pressing tab, but was organized to show squad scores only except for your own squad

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
And big buildable ammo crates everywhere in case you don’t find any support guy

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I did this last night to a dude trying to roadkill me with a scout buggy. I hope this is never "fixed"

Skyarb posted:

The utter failure that was the 2042 beta made me check out BFV and its actually really good!

just look at this opinion right here

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Hub Cat posted:

Getting helicopters to gently caress off

So that they can just rotate toward you and then feed you 20 rockets?

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Skyarb posted:

After playing bfv more I can safely say there is a ton of QoL improvements that really make teamwork easy and fun.

Which may come as a shock to other people in this thread but I actually had a TON of random people both in my squad and just on my team, playing with us, working together, throwing ammo, reviving, building fortifications.

It's almost like all the decisions in 2042 actively discourage that .... Hmmmmmmm

Turns out a vocal majority of the BF community making GBS threads on BF5 for three years despite it being pretty good (you could see it in this thread even!) lead to them discarding a lot of the good things as well as the bad.

The team play problems come down to a lack of info and UI improvements will go a long way to fixing that in 2042. It takes two additions. 1. Icons on teammates for health, ammo, and medic. 2. Nearby medic list when downed. If you can see at a glance what gadgets your teammates and squad have they will help people know who to go to for ammo or what gadgets to take to compliment your squad. Then of they add the nearby medic list when you're downed it will stop everyone from just insta redeploying. They could also add ammo depots to the capture points but that is one of those contentious BF5 things again!

Sure there will still be times when you get mad at the lack of team play when nobody is dropping ammo or health but you get that now in BF4 with 80% going engineer for rocket launchers, or BF5 when your whole squad goes assault or recon.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
on a positive note, I'm glad and somewhat surprised they kept passive spotting from BF5 and, unlike BF5, I didn't have problems seeing enemy infantry

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

DrBox posted:

Turns out a vocal majority of the BF community making GBS threads on BF5 for three years despite it being pretty good (you could see it in this thread even!) lead to them discarding a lot of the good things as well as the bad.

The team play problems come down to a lack of info and UI improvements will go a long way to fixing that in 2042. It takes two additions. 1. Icons on teammates for health, ammo, and medic. 2. Nearby medic list when downed. If you can see at a glance what gadgets your teammates and squad have they will help people know who to go to for ammo or what gadgets to take to compliment your squad. Then of they add the nearby medic list when you're downed it will stop everyone from just insta redeploying. They could also add ammo depots to the capture points but that is one of those contentious BF5 things again!

Sure there will still be times when you get mad at the lack of team play when nobody is dropping ammo or health but you get that now in BF4 with 80% going engineer for rocket launchers, or BF5 when your whole squad goes assault or recon.

I keep hearing this about bfv but drat I've been playing it a ton and I see a huge variety of classes. I think I see more medics than anything else. Bfv is actually really good, I'm honestly shocked how much fun it is

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I enjoyed playing medic in bf5 because I can get smoke grenades/smoke nade launcher and keep everyone alive forever in a big fog of smoke.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

This thread losing its mind shouting BF1 is bad and BFV is good and shouting about hero classes has me laughing hard.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Skyarb posted:

I keep hearing this about bfv but drat I've been playing it a ton and I see a huge variety of classes. I think I see more medics than anything else. Bfv is actually really good, I'm honestly shocked how much fun it is

There was a long time where it was frustrating to play when they kept loving with the TTK and weapon balance. Early on was much worse for my fav class medic being useless at range. They got it all sorted right around when the Pacific theater stuff was released.

I think 2042 will be fine but if they take one lesson I hope they either get rid of the third person stuff or make it a toggle. BF5 felt really good and immersive with all the great animations. The revives, knockdowns, vehicle entry, and executions all on first person were awesome. The revive animations in 2042 are so lame and not impactful in comparison but they are looking more to BF4 for inspiration there I guess.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Dead Like Rev posted:

This thread losing its mind shouting BF1 is bad and BFV is good and shouting about hero classes has me laughing hard.

Bf1 is my favorite in the series. I wrote off BFV for a long time because I heard about all the problems it had. What people hadn't been saying is how all those problems are gone now and it's actually really good, I still like BF1 better but bfv is a solid and fun time in it's own right. Even if 2042 fixes all of it's problems, BFV will still be a better battlefield title than 2042.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Skyarb posted:

Bf1 is my favorite in the series. I wrote off BFV for a long time because I heard about all the problems it had. What people hadn't been saying is how all those problems are gone now and it's actually really good, I still like BF1 better but bfv is a solid and fun time in it's own right. Even if 2042 fixes all of it's problems, BFV will still be a better battlefield title than 2042.

it could have been a contender if the launch maps weren't bad IMHO.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

There was a button you could push to view the actual scoreboard. I think you had to hit escape first.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

DrBox posted:

There was a long time where it was frustrating to play when they kept loving with the TTK and weapon balance. Early on was much worse for my fav class medic being useless at range. They got it all sorted right around when the Pacific theater stuff was released.

I think 2042 will be fine but if they take one lesson I hope they either get rid of the third person stuff or make it a toggle. BF5 felt really good and immersive with all the great animations. The revives, knockdowns, vehicle entry, and executions all on first person were awesome. The revive animations in 2042 are so lame and not impactful in comparison but they are looking more to BF4 for inspiration there I guess.

They also take 5 minutes to get through the animations and you are just stuck in the animation or you'll fail the revive

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

Skyarb posted:

BF V is still janky as hell, has poor mechanics and is a bad game in general. The worst balance, and I mean, The literal WORST balance in all of battlefield.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Glad to see ppl coming around to BFV. It is a mostly good, but unfortunately fundamentally flawed game that had a ton of great gameplay additions.

Its just unfortunate that the launch maps are completely terrible and that has soured a ton of ppl.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Skyarb posted:

This. Battlefield V is a great game, but Battlefield 1 does most things better. May as well just play 1.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Dead Like Rev posted:

BF V is still janky as hell, has poor mechanics and is a bad game in general. The worst balance, and I mean, The literal WORST balance in all of battlefield.

The only battlefield where you see such an even split of classes and weapons.
Pretty much every gun is decent.
Also for once , the mg kick rear end

However I am still mad for what they did to the light tank

Krogort fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 10, 2021

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Dead Like Rev posted:

You're just wrong, maybe it was that but it certainly isn't that anymore. Pretty much all of the changes are good QoL changes

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
After 6 months of bfv had released about 1 or 2 maps and was still missing a ton of promised content but had completely changed the ttk 5/6 times. A lot of people said "gently caress this" and bounced. And that's very fair.

But it did come together eventually and it's a shame a lot of people never got to see that.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
I'll be truly disappointed if I can't continually scream "ENEMY SUBMARINE SPOTTED" on the desert map du jour.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mega Comrade posted:

But it did come together eventually and it's a shame a lot of people never got to see that.
It looks like BFV is currently the most popular it ever has been on Steam, probably because of its sale price and a mixture of disappointment/anticipation of 2042. Regardless of the latter's quality, I was never going to get it at launch due to my aging computer but I am kind of tempted to pick up V at that price. Or maybe I'll stick with 1, because somehow I'm still WW2-shootered out. I was also considering Battlefront 2, did that end up decent in the end?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Dead Like Rev posted:

Same

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Dead Like Rev posted:

BF1 all day, every day over BFV in every category except for gun mechanics and sniping. The random deviation as a simulation for recoil in BF1 on automatic weapons is garbage and while I like the idea of the sweet spot mechanic for bolt actions the sniping in BFV is more skill oriented and more rewarding save for the BF1 headshot sound being the auditory version of crack cocaine.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys

Skyarb posted:

Even if 2042 fixes all of it's problems, BFV will still be a better battlefield title than 2042.

lol

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

jisforjosh posted:

BF1 all day, every day over BFV in every category except for gun mechanics and sniping. The random deviation as a simulation for recoil in BF1 on automatic weapons is garbage and while I like the idea of the sweet spot mechanic for bolt actions the sniping in BFV is more skill oriented and more rewarding save for the BF1 headshot sound being the auditory version of crack cocaine.
I attribute the awful, unpredictable, gun mechanics to the fact that the guns are over 100 years old. Basically ancient tech. You can't expect every bullet to go where you want it to.

But the guns do feel great, in terms of design, sound, and visual feedback.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

jisforjosh posted:

GOD the BF1 headshot sound is literal heroine in my veins.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

I also like imagining how previous BF games are

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Foehammer007 posted:

They also take 5 minutes to get through the animations and you are just stuck in the animation or you'll fail the revive

No, it takes 5 seconds or so and you can cancel the revive if you need to. As a medic it's even faster. This kind of poo poo is so frustrating. This meme poo poo propogated by people who don't know what they're talking about ruins the conversation. Yeah BF5 is not my fav but of all the games released it had the best shooting and is tied with BF1 for best animations.

All I wanted from 2042 was BF4 with BF5 animations and gunplay. We're getting something halfway between but it should still be fun once they polish it up.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
How about just keep the same poo poo from BF4????????????? Why make it worse????

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Mega Comrade posted:

After 6 months of bfv had released about 1 or 2 maps and was still missing a ton of promised content but had completely changed the ttk 5/6 times. A lot of people said "gently caress this" and bounced. And that's very fair.

People are too dogmatic about a game once they've decided it was bad once, such as *gestures wildly at this thread*.

Similarly people are incredibly defensive and cannot see a bad game for what it is once they've decided it simply has to be good, regardless of its quality or gameplay such as *gestures wildly at this thread*

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
It's Dice so who knows, but I'd expect a community post this week or next talking about what will be fixed by release and addressing some of the main complaints. I was reading some devs have already commented on some of what is already fixed along with plans for sliding/jumping spam and team readability in the clone wars. Right now it's all scattered across Reddit and Twitter.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Foehammer007 posted:

How about just keep the same poo poo from BF4????????????? Why make it worse????
Because BF4 exists?

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Hot Diggity! posted:

Because BF4 exists?

And we've all been waiting for a new and updated BF4???

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
instead of call of battlefield or whatever

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

In BFV everything is the same shade of grey and back proning looks the same as dead.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

BF2042 is like a direct sequel and continuation of BF4 lol. Wtf are you even talking about?

Like, Dice is seemingly ignoring everything they did with BF1 and BFV when it comes to 2042

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Foehammer007 posted:

instead of call of battlefield or whatever

Every BF after BF2 had been accused of going casual and catering to the COD crowd. Please stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Just gonna slide my way to victory