Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

quote:

nroets 3 hours ago [–]

So much of the internet is about translating addresses from one format to another:
Human readable to IP: DNS

Private IP to Public IP: NAT

MAC to Private IP: ARP

Public IP to AS: BGP

With a block chain DNS it may be possible to replace all of them with a single protocol, but it may well turn out to be an academic exercise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

And you could sell domains as NFTs!!!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

it would also be possible, and probably comparably efficient, to use a unified protocol determined by an old man living in a trailer whose job was to assign each newly manufactured computer an incrementing ID

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

quote:

Life continued as normal in Sweden, Russia, Belarus... the pandemic 'response' was driven by the media and politicians. If there is surge of deaths in nursing homes (typically 50% of COVID deaths), it has no impact on the rest of the economy.

Many of those same politicians later benefitted to tune of millions of dollars from advance knowledge of federal bank intervention in markets. If there was no lockdown, this opportunity would not have occurred. There was a clear conflict of interest.

https://trialsitenews.com/gates-earns-10x-on-biontech-in-just-two-years-55m-investment-now-over-550m/

Its the same for individuals who bought into MRNA startups eg. BioNTech in 2019 - there's a clear financial motivation to promote disruptive lockdown, in order to position vaccines as the cure.

https://trialsitenews.com/gates-earns-10x-on-biontech-in-jus...

Its likely that lockdowns worsen COVID, because of the reduction in health from lower Vitamin D (staying inside), poorer diets, increased stress, and reduction of exposure of younger people (school cancellations, nightclub closures etc.) who usually form the bulk of the herd immunity population for seasonal respiratory viruses.

Ah yes, vitamin D. In Sweden.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Ah yes, vitamin D. In Sweden.

Guess which nordic country remained open to preserve the hallowed economy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
die for Number

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

DanielBMarkham 2 days ago | parent | flag | favorite | on: Where Have All the Sex Scenes Gone?

The overseas market, specifically China, probably plays a much bigger role in self-censoring cinema than most people are comfortable admitting. Nobody wants good cinema, movies that dig into and challenge the human condition. They want money. In the last 20-30 years, we have seen the strip-mall-ization of the movie theater. Every city has at least one, they all look the same, and drop in at any time and you'll see the same kinds of movies: cool-looking, easy, bowlderized, with paint-by-the-numbers plots.
I love real cinema. For all intents and purposes it's gone now. We need a new art form to take its place.
A big part of the problem with any commercial art form is the plethora of folks who love to be reductionist in one way or another. Leads in TV shows from the 1950s forward wanted to know and control how many lines they spoke. John Wayne famously gave the advice to another actor that if you're leaving a scene, first move in the opposite direction and then leave the way you're supposed to. Gives you a bit more screen time. (Apologies that I cannot source that offhand)
Once everything becomes reductionist, it's then much easier to argue about some oversimplified version of the art than the contents of the art itself. Were there enough tall people in that film? Did that essay have the right amount of third-grade level adjectives? Is the playwright using a meter for the supporting roles? If so, what is it?
We can go on and on about such things because they are easier to measure, require almost no understanding of the art form itself, and lead to all sorts of debates. Sometimes I think the number one rule of modern media is "I don't care what you're arguing about, just argue about something!"
If we placed the story first, and only created anything in an art form to support and enhance that story, we'd get all sorts of interesting and self-challenging art, depending on which artist is telling the story. Whatever trivial reductionist thing you'd like to experience, there'd be art that let you experience it. But if we try to create and tell stories through art by way of committee and marketing research, it's just going to be more and more bland populist pablum.
The saddest part of all of this is not that businesses are acting in their best interests. The saddest part is what it says about the average consumer. I love modern theater even though it's a completely new art, but I try very hard not to do the "reverse math" and figure out just what the creators think of me. Otherwise I'd get pretty pissed.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

GDC7 2 hours ago | parent [–] | on: Why aren't there more climate cults?

There is only one, really.
There is no guarantee that people will care about climate change in 10 years time.
Matter of fact there could be an opposite effect as too many politicians, influencers and VIPs are talking about climate change.
When people realize that they'd not die of climate change but more boringly : cancer, heart disease and alzhaimer just like their parents...they'd get really angry at those who are championing climate action for the sake of people who'd inhabit the earth 200-300 years from now, instead of doing something to stop those diseases and generally all the diseases related to old age.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

i don't say this lightly, but this 'GDC7' dude is probably the dumbest motherfucker i've seen all week

GDC7 1 hour ago [–]

> You're talking about the idea of some one who hurts and abuses other people no longer being allowed to be a part of polite society, and the people that want that to be the case, like its a bad thing.
No , the bad thing is that when somebody is dragged out in the court of public opinion all the positive contributions of that particular individual are not taken into consideration.
I am now a wide eyed utopian, I am a very practical person. As a practical person I tell you that if society doesn't let the good things that one does offset the negative flaws that one might have....then people will ask themselves if it's worth to do good things at all.
The SJWs I mentioned (and suspect also you) would retroactively cancel Richard Feynman because he grabbed by the waist some Brazilian dancer while he was teaching in Rio. Even if that meant succumbing to Hitler's Nazi Germany.
Dick Feynman earned the right to dance with as many Brazilian girls as he wanted.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

GDC7 2 hours ago | parent [–] | on: Trillion-dollar platinum coin could be minted at t...

Why a coin? It has to be a note because the coin+platinum could be a PR nightmare as people would do the math and realize that the amount of platinum in the coin is not worth 1 trillion dollars.
I know that even for small coinage the value we assign to them is arbitrary, but for the public it doesn't matter because it's just change.
If they want to use this solution they need to print a 1 trillion note, that would be in line with the arbitrarily assigned value to the smaller denomination notes.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
wow

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

GDC7 23 minutes ago [–]

> Society "cancelled" Harvey Weinstein because he raped multiple women, to the point where it was an in-joke in Hollywood. I don't think he's much of a good example except to identify how long it takes for justice to reach someone.
He caused lifechanging trauma to 10-20 people. That is not excusable.
What is not brought up in the assesment of his persona is the amount of entertainment he provided to the world.
The aggregate of 40 hours of AAA movies being enjoyed by 3 billion people between theatre, DVD, streaming, TV and piracy.
But of course you can't call 3 billion people up to provide their account of what positive impact Wienstin had on their lives. Plus while the trauma caused is substantial, the entertainment provided to the aforementioned 3 billion people is marginal.
When you judge somebody you should see the whole picture.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Wow, literally the dril tweet about how DUI helps people get to work on time

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
holy smokes

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

The classic utilitarian argument of "what if you give a lot of pain to one person, but it causes mild pleasure to a lot of others," except in this case it's one HN poster provoking a lot of mild pain to a lot of people to give himself some self satisfaction.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

eigengrau5150 48 minutes ago | parent | flag | favorite | on: Ask HN: Do you think games are as effective as pas...

I still remember Final Fantasy IV even though I first played it around 30 years ago. Those novels I had to read for school? I don't remember half of them, and the half I do remember are not novels I remember fondly.
Why? The game starts with a guy committing war crimes. He questions his king, is stripped of his post, and sent off on a suicide mission. Then, when he carries out his mission, it turns out he's committed yet another atrocity. That was loving grim for a game that came out in 1991, and strong medicine for a sheltered kid who had grown up on TV that produced "pro-social" messaging like Dungeons & Dragons and The Get-Along Gang. Here was a game that gives you a taste of the kind of bad poo poo that can happen when you trust authority instead of your own conscience, and that was strong medicine.
So, yeah, I think games can be effective storytelling media. Just bear in mind that FFIV didn't have full-motion video, anime cutscenes, or voice acting. Hell, the original SNES release didn't even have an accurate translation; as a pre-ESRB title it was censored to suite Nintendo of America's content policies.
https://legendsoflocalization.com/final-fantasy-iv/

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
"I mean, if you know of any other way to make entertaining movies, I'd love to hear it."

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
hey marge, remember the time I took that wine making course and forgot how to drive!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Chris Knight posted:

hey marge, remember the time I took that wine making course and forgot how to drive!
thats because you were drunk!

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
rossmohax 22 minutes ago [–]

How much nuclear waste is produced annually? Can reasonable number of Starships take it to the space?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Neon Noodle posted:

How much nuclear waste is produced annually? Can reasonable number of Starships take it to the space?

what a great idea! after all, none of the starships have blown up completely in the sky, raining debris everywhere

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Tech bros not knowing how much waste there is never stops being amazing.

No, you aren't launching it into space ever. Asse II alone contains ~126k barrels (100-400L each), and we don't even know what's in a bunch of those because private industry didn't keep records and didn't label a lot of them for some mysterious reason.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

tech bros don't even know how much energy and time and whatever other resources their dumb rear end node js code wastes, because someone else pays the aws bill anyway

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Neon Noodle posted:

this is the kind of thing that a first grader comes up with

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

The_Franz posted:

this is the kind of thing that a first grader comes up with

it strikes me as a very Elon-esque “solution”

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I just lose it at the word “starships” cause like, we don’t have anything that could truly be called a starship. We have very very VERY expensive rockets to get stuff into space, and gravity to get them back down.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Neon Noodle posted:

I just lose it at the word “starships” cause like, we don’t have anything that could truly be called a starship. We have very very VERY expensive rockets to get stuff into space, and gravity to get them back down.

there's a layer here it sounds like you may not be aware of

that hackernews poster was referring to the in-development spacex heavy lift rocket which elon musk has named "starship", because he (e:musk) is exactly the kind of grifter who tries to sell i loving love science types a story about how he's pioneering interstellar travel with something that... isn't

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 11, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i’m not a fan of musk at all but i think spacex is interesting. calling their fatty metal dick starship isn’t that much different than calling shuttles enterprise or atlantis imo

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
i'm not a fan a fan of musk at all, but given that, gently caress musk, and also, motherfucking gently caress musk, and additionally, gently caress the gently caress out of musk

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

elon musk ain't poo poo. just in case i wasn't clear

mystes
May 31, 2006

DaTroof posted:

elon musk ain't poo poo. just in case i wasn't clear
Actually, Elon musk is poo poo

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

mystes posted:

Actually, Elon musk is poo poo

the musk of elon is poo poo, is it not

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

okay, let's keep the message simple and direct. elon musk is poo poo

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

DaTroof posted:

i'm not a fan a fan of musk at all, but given that, gently caress musk, and also, motherfucking gently caress musk, and additionally, gently caress the gently caress out of musk

:hai:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
also, nobody should gently caress musk

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

spacex is doing relatively okay because musk has zero involvement

just don't go near anything that he's bazinga'ed up and it'll be fine

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

quote:

baumy 28 minutes ago [–]

If the choice is between 3.5 million dead, and the rise of authoritarianism and censorship, then yes the former is much less tragic than the latter and therefore the more acceptable option. And that's before taking into account that the survival rate is quite a bit higher than 99%, so it won't be 3.5 million dead. And also before taking into account that the vast majority of the dead will be the very old, and people who took extraordinarily poor care of their health.

Of course the choice isn't that simple or binary in the real world, but there's elements of that choice at play and I stand by the point I'm making.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

eschaton posted:

also, nobody should gently caress musk

grimy stuff to do

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Progressive JPEG posted:

spacex is doing relatively okay because musk has zero involvement

just don't go near anything that he's bazinga'ed up and it'll be fine

generally my feelings on the matter

KozmoNaut posted:

quote:

baumy 28 minutes ago [–]

If the choice is between 3.5 million dead, and the rise of authoritarianism and censorship, then yes the former is much less tragic than the latter and therefore the more acceptable option. And that's before taking into account that the survival rate is quite a bit higher than 99%, so it won't be 3.5 million dead. And also before taking into account that the vast majority of the dead will be the very old, and people who took extraordinarily poor care of their health.

Of course the choice isn't that simple or binary in the real world, but there's elements of that choice at play and I stand by the point I'm making.

lol jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Also see my essay titled "why it's worth rounding up and killing all the jews to prevent the rise of fascism."