Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

CloFan posted:

Baby girl is doing good. We've been staying in this tiny NICU room for almost a week now, it's hell on our bodies and schedules but I'm glad we've got nurses here all the time for any help we may need.

The only thing stopping us going home is bottle training... It's very common for babies on feeding tubes to be very slow learners to take to regular feeding, but the pediatrician is impressed with her progress and expects we'll be going home in a few days. She's doing about 50% of her feed via bottle, doc wants to see closer to 80% before they'll take the tube out and discharge us.

That's great! Hope she gets to come home soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Shout-out to my wife's OBGYN who called at 4:55 and left a voicemail asking my wife to "call back to discuss your non-invasive prenatal testing results, but don't call back until tomorrow because we're closing for the night OK byeeeeeeeeeee". I tried to tell her that if it was important/bad they would have called earlier to get her on the phone, and that this was probably just someone phoning it in at the end of the workday, but ugh there goes our evening :ohdear: 13 weeks along, if anyone has been in a similar situation.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

That's rough. Did they say when she got the test that they'd only call with bad news or call either way? Mine was like, if it's good news I'll send you a MyChart message, if it's bad I'll call.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
It would be really cruel of them to do that if there was something wrong, I’m guessing everything is fine and they didn’t realize that it’s a dick move to leave a voice Mail like that. In their mind they may have thought they hat to leave some kind of voice Mail since your phone would show a missed call, but since they can’t leave info they just said that and called it a day, not recognizing that people are always anxious about test results, even though it’s something they deal with every day.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Emily Spinach posted:

That's rough. Did they say when she got the test that they'd only call with bad news or call either way? Mine was like, if it's good news I'll send you a MyChart message, if it's bad I'll call.

Not that I'm aware of, but my wife is convinced that doctors only call when it's bad news. I asked my sister who gave birth to her first kid about her experience and she echoed some of my reasoning; they always call because they want to explain everything instead of just sending you a MyChart to interpret on your own, if it was bad they would have called earlier in the day etc. Hearing from my sister calmed my wife down a little.

E:

Koivunen posted:

It would be really cruel of them to do that if there was something wrong, I’m guessing everything is fine and they didn’t realize that it’s a dick move to leave a voice Mail like that. In their mind they may have thought they hat to leave some kind of voice Mail since your phone would show a missed call, but since they can’t leave info they just said that and called it a day, not recognizing that people are always anxious about test results, even though it’s something they deal with every day.

I had a similar thought in that it's probably a legal no-no to leave medical information in a voicemail, even if the results are totally normal. I'm on the side that everything is fine, or at least I'm choosing to believe that everything's fine, but yuck. Not fun.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 10, 2021

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, I wouldn't expect them to do that with bad news and you're not supposed to leave info in a voicemail. I think unless they specifically said they'd only call if the results are abnormal (I had pretest counseling where they went over the possible results ahead of time so there wasn't anything to discuss with normal results) then it's probably just someone not thinking through the optics, like a friend whose new HR person scheduled a one-on-one meeting at like 5pm on a Friday without giving a meeting topic.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Shout-out to my wife's OBGYN who called at 4:55 and left a voicemail asking my wife to "call back to discuss your non-invasive prenatal testing results, but don't call back until tomorrow because we're closing for the night OK byeeeeeeeeeee". I tried to tell her that if it was important/bad they would have called earlier to get her on the phone, and that this was probably just someone phoning it in at the end of the workday, but ugh there goes our evening :ohdear: 13 weeks along, if anyone has been in a similar situation.

This happened to me as well, they literally called just before they shut and I missed the call. Called back first thing in the morning and they just wanted to explain that everything was low risk and ask me if I wanted the gender (despite telling them we wanted to know and I was happy for it to be left in a message). And then I was told, in the broadest Queensland (I think) accent I have ever heard, that I was having a daawwdaaahhh

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.
Oooof. This is why If I call with normal lab results and have to leave a message I’ll say “Hi, it’s Dr ___ and I have good news for you from your labs. Give me a call back and we can go over them.”

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

C-Euro posted:

I got a similar call for my NIPT with the vague voicemail. Turns out my results were just inconclusive because being fat and pregnant is associated with a high rate of test failure.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
After two more rounds of phone tag we finally got a hold of her and everything's fine lol. Thanks everybody.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
glad to hear it!

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Just checking in to say that if you have a bad enough result on blood work then sometimes your doctor's office will continue to hammer call you after closing until you finally notice that your phone was on silent

(I'm type 1 diabetic. My blood sugar was low. They thought I was going to have a seizure and die in a ditch. I had already eaten a snack and was fine. But seeing all those missed calls was definitely terrifying especially when pregnant)

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Apparently I'm GBS positive. Knew I should have stuck to PYF.

Mr. Freebus
Sep 7, 2007

please do not shut down

El Mero Mero posted:

Does this thread double as the IVF/fertility questions thread? We're at about the 8 month mark and feeling pretty demoralized/starting to get ready to do research into fertility treatments and diagnoses.

Are there any resources/books that folks would recommend? Or things we should know upfront before we go down this route?

PLEASE talk to a reproductive endocrinologist. After 3 awful years of trying I saw a regular OB/GYN who did the standard hormone panel, transvaginal ultrasound, HSG, and semen analysis of my partner. She put me on 3 rounds of clomid unsupervised, which failed. I got a referral to a proper RE and was told I couldn't do any more clomid cycles as I was having visual disturbances at 100 and 150mg. First doc didn't warn me about that nor about ovarian hyperstimulation! Or the constipation! As was mentioned previously, sometimes simply having a hysterosalpingography (HSG) can flush out the tubes and result in an immediate pregnancy.

Dealing with infertility has been absolutely soul-crushing and I am sorry that you are going through it, too. I'm starting the IVF process next month and can share a cost breakdown/actual process if anybody is interested, as that getting knocked up thread seems kinda dead.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

We are home from NICU! :toot:

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Well, yesterday evening while trying and failing to shave my cat's butt, I ended up breaking my water. Very Niagara Falls ish. Three and a half hours of labor, three hours of pushing, one pair of forceps, and a 3A tear later, baby girl was born at 603 this morning. So far she's a champion self soother and sort of understands what my nipples are for. A little. Sometimes.

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

Aww, congratulations!! She'll get better at nipples eventually, enjoy your cute little lump!

Also, every time you tell your birth story please start with "I was trying to shave my cat's butt" :lol:

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Congratulations Emily Spinach!! A friend of mine also experienced the forceps during her birth experience, her son had a little Harry Potter scratch on his forehead that healed up just fine (and physical therapy really helped her post-partum recovery as well). I hope you and your sweet little baby are doing well!!

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

My Shark Waifuu posted:

Aww, congratulations!! She'll get better at nipples eventually, enjoy your cute little lump!

Also, every time you tell your birth story please start with "I was trying to shave my cat's butt" :lol:

I pretty much have to for the rest of her life. And thanks y'all! She's just got a couple of red marks from the forceps but honestly handled them pretty well.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Congrats Emily Spinach! I really recommend seeing a pelvic floor physiotherapist after a forceps birth - both my kids had to be yanked out, but only after the second one did anyone tell me how much your pelvic floor will be affected and the risk of prolapse goes way up after forceps. My physio was amazing and the exercises made a big difference.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks! Definitely going to have to ask for the referral for PT, thanks for the reminder. At least I have yet to piss myself, but I worry that "yet" is doing a lot of work there.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Be careful about sneezing with a completely full bladder.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Alterian posted:

Pregnancy Megathread II: Be careful about sneezing with a completely full bladder.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

So I'm pregnant again after two miscarriages, I've made it farther along this time than either of those so I'm trying to be hopeful but not too hopeful.

My major gripe is that my husband shot a deer two weeks ago, so we have a freezer absolutely stuffed with incredible venison. And I am absolutely repulsed by even the concept of eating red meat right now. When I had my son I had virtually no nausea, but now it's like "oooh you glanced at an amazing roast dinner that you saved on Pinterest two months ago? Better go throw up!"

Thankfully I also love a lot of vegetarian cooking, and chicken doesn't seem to be setting me off as hard, but god drat. There's 40 pounds of goddamn deer in my freezer and I can't even look at it.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Food aversions are wild. I didn't have them at all last pregnancy and this time I had strong aversions that changed on a day to day basis and I couldnt anticipate if I could eat something until I saw the finished product in front of me. So so so expensive, packed lunches and leftovers were a strong no for the entire period.

Unrelated: my nearly 3yo son has been consistently saying he doesn't want a baby sister, while also insisting the baby is in HIS belly despite increasingly obvious evidence otherwise. Then randomly yesterday he said "Want cuddle [baby's name]" and gently laid his head on my bump and wrapped his arms around it. He did it again today. My expectations for sibling affection are relatively low but I'm starting to allow a tiny hint of hope?

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 24, 2021

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Tamarillo posted:

Food aversions are wild. I didn't have them at all last pregnancy and this time I had strong aversions that changed on a day to day basis and I couldnt anticipate if I could eat something until I saw the finished product in front of me. So so so expensive, packed lunches and leftovers were a strong no for the entire period.

Unrelated: my nearly 3yo son has been consistently saying he doesn't want a baby sister, while also insisting the baby is in HIS belly despite increasingly obvious evidence otherwise. Then randomly yesterday he said "Want cuddle [baby's name]" and gently laid his head on my bump and wrapped his arms around it. He did it again today. My expectations for sibling affection are relatively low but I'm starting to allow a tiny hint of hope?

It's been my experience after five kids that little ones don't fully grasp the idea that there's a tiny human in there and they are more rejecting the *concept* than the actual person. Most of the time once they actually see said tiny human they are very pleased. Until the tiny human cries a lot for the first time but that's another hurdle you don't need to be too worried about right now 🤣

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Stairs posted:

It's been my experience after five kids that little ones don't fully grasp the idea that there's a tiny human in there and they are more rejecting the *concept* than the actual person. Most of the time once they actually see said tiny human they are very pleased. Until the tiny human cries a lot for the first time but that's another hurdle you don't need to be too worried about right now 🤣

Echoing this. My two year old maybe sort of understood that a baby was coming to live with us, and when we brought the baby home for the first time she said THAT’S MY BABY BROTHER! We read a few big sister books to get get used to the idea and I think it helped. She also held her baby doll by her belly and said MY BABY IS IN MY BELLY so I think there was some level of understanding.

She was great for the first week, extremely jealous for the second, and the jealousy has gradually been going away at three months. Just in the past few weeks she has been so much better with him. But every sibling relationship is different, ymmv.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Two days till our twenty week scan - wife is showing and I’m super nervous - none of this feels right to me and I don’t feel ready at all :(

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh man that one is great, you can see the brain and spine, eye sockets and starts to look like an actual human. That's when it got real for me. It's very cool

Fun fact, humans and giraffe (and 99% of all mammals) have the same number of vertebrate, giraffes just gave really elongated vertebrae. All the vertebrate you see in that session are all the vertebrate your kid will ever have. They don't like, grow more vertebrae as they get taller

If it's a girl they'll also check the ovaries for eggs, which is pretty cool, you're effectively seeing your (potential) grandchildren for the first time as well (:psyduck:)

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Manwithastick posted:

Two days till our twenty week scan - wife is showing and I’m super nervous - none of this feels right to me and I don’t feel ready at all :(

No one is ready, not really. It’s normal to feel this way. Also normal to feel like this postnatally. It will be okay.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Manwithastick posted:

Do be kind to her though. My first pregnancy, my husband responded to me starting to show by withdrawing all physical affection beyond a hug if I was lucky. Not great for the emotional health there.

This time round I've got a low lying placenta so we have to be careful anyway, and I care less because I know the pregnancy will be over before I know it and he's a great dad when the baby is actually born. But the first time round can really seem like forever and that's doubly hard when your partner puts you at arms length because they're a bit confronted by the rapidly changing reality of the situation.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 29, 2021

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Unusual question time. Crossposting here because this thread seems considerably more active than the Getting Knocked Up thread, and I would guess that some people here maybe can help. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Squibsy posted:

I have a question and I guess this is the best place for it.

I'm a trans woman. I began my HRT two weeks ago, and prior to beginning I was freezing sperm at a private clinic. I was delaying my medical transition in order to freeze samples that were unaffected by the hormonal changes, but when some unexpected delays came up partway through my freezing schedule I decided I couldn't wait any longer and I began taking my hormones.

There are 19 ampules frozen, which to me both sounds like a lot and not very much. Is anybody who's had experience of IVF or IU insemination using frozen sperm able to tell me whether this seems like a good amount and it's ok to stop there, or should I be trying to arrange more sample freezes ASAP before my new hormones really start to gently caress around with things. It's unlikely that there will be much changing this early on in my process, but obviously it's possible, and the onset of these changes is unpredictable.

Edit: I suppose I should clarify that this is all 'just in case' - I do not have any current plans to start a family and therefore I don't have any sense of what future family goals would look like. There are so many variables in how such a thing might come about that it doesn't feel worth torturing myself trying to think of them. So I guess my question is: as an 'in case' store for unknowable future scenarios, does 19 ampules seem like enough?

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 11, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

19 is a lot unless

1) abnormally low sperm count
2) planning on having more than 4 families (not 4 kids, families)

One sample is good for 4-5 eggs I think, probably a lot more than that, and then you can freeze the embryos

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Hadlock posted:

19 is a lot unless

1) abnormally low sperm count
2) planning on having more than 4 families (not 4 kids, families)

One sample is good for 4-5 eggs I think, probably a lot more than that, and then you can freeze the embryos

Thank you for such a clear answer! This is really good to know.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

I had an ultrasound today and saw the little critter with it's little heartbeat. It's measuring almost dead on for my due date and I'm just so loving relieved that there's living tissue in there. Two miscarriages in under a year kind of takes a lot of the joy out of a new pregnancy, and it feels a lot safer to celebrate now!

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Chernobyl Princess posted:

I had an ultrasound today and saw the little critter with it's little heartbeat. It's measuring almost dead on for my due date and I'm just so loving relieved that there's living tissue in there. Two miscarriages in under a year kind of takes a lot of the joy out of a new pregnancy, and it feels a lot safer to celebrate now!

That’s great news! So sorry about your losses, that’s a lot to go through in a short amount of time. Seeing the heart beat is such a fantastic feeling!

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Taking my cue from the thread title - my wife is suffering horribly from piles and bleeding haemorrhoids - should I be worried about the baby? What could help here?

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Manwithastick posted:

Taking my cue from the thread title - my wife is suffering horribly from piles and bleeding haemorrhoids - should I be worried about the baby? What could help here?

Nah, it's just a thing that happens sometimes. It shouldn't impact the baby. Best thing you can do is as much of the heavy lifting around the house as possible and stock up on preparation h. It's almost certain to go away after the baby is born.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Chernobyl Princess posted:

Nah, it's just a thing that happens sometimes. It shouldn't impact the baby. Best thing you can do is as much of the heavy lifting around the house as possible and stock up on preparation h. It's almost certain to go away after the baby is born.

All of this, plus, if over the counter stuff doesn’t work, she can get a prescription for 5% hydrocortisone cream with lidocaine. And sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it’s not uncommon if the hemorrhoids never completely go away.

If she gives birth vaginally her recovery may be more painful because the hemorrhoids will be at their worst after pushing out a baby. Padsicles helped me tremendously. Maxi pads for overnights, dump some liquid witch hazel on it, smear a coat of A&D ointment on, fold it back up and stick it in the freezer. Feels amazing on a sore bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

3 months to go and we’re pulling it all together - got too excited and built the pram for a test drive