Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franko
Apr 25, 2007
No it has to be someone both sides of the line have heard of regardless of how good they are, given I live in AFL as gently caress land while being known "as that guy who supports the NRL" there can be only one name that fits this. The only name said by anyone who has had the slightest knowledge of sports let alone Rugby League...

The John Hopoate line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Call it the Andrew Johns Line and see if he turns up trying to snort it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

MiniSune posted:

Pretty well much. For all the cash the AFL has sunk into Western Sydney and Gold Coast, they really have got sweet gently caress all to show for it.

As for the line...The (Laurie) Daley Line? he was born in Junee and the AFL and League lines sorta merge in that part of the state.

Given this lack of engagement/awareness/caring etc., (on both sides of the line), should the NRL try to expand? Put the new expansion team in Adelaide or Perth. I know they have played State of Origin games there and get half decent crowds. As they have in Melbourne too.

Would they be prepared to put in the time and money? Coz it has taken more than 40 years and 2 premierships for Sydney to get to the level of local support it has. And god knows how much much money GWS and Gold Coast are costing the AFL right now. So would the NRL be prepared to make that kind of investment in growing the game outside the borders of NSW and Qld.?

On this subject, and this is probably a spectacularly stupid and naive question, so I am sorry. But the Storm seem to be cashed up to the gills. They had the money to break the Salary Cap for all those years, and whatever financial sanctions they were put under haven't seemed to hurt them as they can still afford to buy a team of stars to win premierships even now. How? Is the NRL still, (or indeed did it ever), subsidizing them like the AFL does with GWS and Gold Coast? Are they just good with their money/recruitment? Do Rugby League players just want to mobve to Melbourne for the anonymity or whatever? How does the Storm, being in a non-rugby place with a tiny stadium, and I assume not that many members, manage to stay a financial powerhouse? Or is it all just smoke and mirrors, and the Storm are massively debt-ridden and will collapse spectacularly at the slightest scrutiny?

Franko
Apr 25, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Given this lack of engagement/awareness/caring etc., (on both sides of the line), should the NRL try to expand? Put the new expansion team in Adelaide or Perth. I know they have played State of Origin games there and get half decent crowds. As they have in Melbourne too.

Would they be prepared to put in the time and money? Coz it has taken more than 40 years and 2 premierships for Sydney to get to the level of local support it has. And god knows how much much money GWS and Gold Coast are costing the AFL right now. So would the NRL be prepared to make that kind of investment in growing the game outside the borders of NSW and Qld.?

On this subject, and this is probably a spectacularly stupid and naive question, so I am sorry. But the Storm seem to be cashed up to the gills. They had the money to break the Salary Cap for all those years, and whatever financial sanctions they were put under haven't seemed to hurt them as they can still afford to buy a team of stars to win premierships even now. How? Is the NRL still, (or indeed did it ever), subsidizing them like the AFL does with GWS and Gold Coast? Are they just good with their money/recruitment? Do Rugby League players just want to mobve to Melbourne for the anonymity or whatever? How does the Storm, being in a non-rugby place with a tiny stadium, and I assume not that many members, manage to stay a financial powerhouse? Or is it all just smoke and mirrors, and the Storm are massively debt-ridden and will collapse spectacularly at the slightest scrutiny?

Storm are generally top 4 or 5 in the league for both attendance and memberships for quite a while now fyi.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I guess because everyone in Victoria who cares about rugby league supports them, yeah? Whereas in NSW and the Sydney area everyone has their local club(s).

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Congratulations Redcliffe, can't wait for you to dilute a player pool that is already unable to fill the existing 16 without at least four total dogshit teams every season.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Saul Goode posted:

Congratulations Redcliffe, can't wait for you to dilute a player pool that is already unable to fill the existing 16 without at least four total dogshit teams every season.

If anyone can spin poo poo into gold it's probably Bennett. Just about everywhere he goes he turns out a product. His worst tenure was what - the knights and he still took them to the semis in 2013 with a pretty ok squad.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

They bloody well should expand to Perth, new TV territory, full of ex-pat East Coasters, plenty of corporate sponsorship. Adelaide wont possibly ever again, its a small congested market, and Adelaide has issues more generally.

People in the game also whinge about accommodation costs and airfares. I think some coaches and players just cant be arsed flying west.

quote:

No. Because doing the easy thing is easy and that is rugby league, part of its charm. It is also run by idiots and beholden to Nine and Fox, who should be pushing Perth, but instead seem fixated on QLD. I suspect the metrics in QLD must matter more than WA for Nine and Fox.

Then again the level of Swans & GWS support and the interest it generates isn't great for the monster investment. poo poo the A-League probably generates more comment, interest and numbers than the AFL does in Sydney for gently caress all investment.

quote:

On this subject, and this is probably a spectacularly stupid and naive question, so I am sorry. But the Storm seem to be cashed up to the gills. They had the money to break the Salary Cap for all those years, and whatever financial sanctions they were put under haven't seemed to hurt them as they can still afford to buy a team of stars to win premierships even now. How?

Because that was a long time ago. Cant punish a club forever.

quote:

Is the NRL still, (or indeed did it ever), subsidizing them like the AFL does with GWS and Gold Coast?

No, no direct subsidies or grants that any other club would not have received.

quote:

Are they just good with their money/recruitment?

Short answer: Yes. Success and a great coach are always a proven attraction. When the coach goes, be interesting to see what happens.

quote:

Do Rugby League players just want to mobve to Melbourne for the anonymity or whatever?

They go to win primarily, the quiet life is just a bonus.

quote:

How does the Storm, being in a non-rugby place with a tiny stadium, and I assume not that many members, manage to stay a financial powerhouse?

Not exactly a tiny stadium by League and mid-tier by global standards. Memberships are not all of the equation. But TV money matters more, then sponsorships, then probably gate takings.

League doesn't put anywhere near the amount of money the AFL commission does into the game, so the clubs and players get more of the pie.

AFL does get large crowd through the gate, but you gotta understand AFL is one of the highest attended sports in the world. You could have half the numbers and still be very viable.

quote:

Or is it all just smoke and mirrors, and the Storm are massively debt-ridden and will collapse spectacularly at the slightest scrutiny?

No, but this may blow you away, but for some exceptions, nearly all football clubs in this country are technically broke. That is because most are structured as a subsidiary to a parent company, and anything of value is given to the parent company, and filtered down to the football club as a grant.

The reason is simple, risk and liability.

If anything serious happens to the football club, it can be sunk as a legal entity and the parent company- in many cases in Rugby League these are the Leagues club - can rebirth it the next day and continue on.

Most owners/controllers of Rugby league Clubs are outrageously wealthy. The Dogs could probably buy the entire Australian Rugby Union several times over with ones years turnover. Easts have half a billion in assets in their holding company. Panthers when it recovers from Covid will probably go from strength to strength. If you look in the right places, a lot of the parent companies are holding up even with covid and there is a reason none have fallen over. Another year and the Leagues Club owned football clubs would probably be in serious trouble, but easts and say the Broncos will keep on marching.

Football clubs and owning organizations are run by accountants more and more, the old boofhead brigade running clubs are becoming a thing of the past (with some exceptions). Some whinge that "People who don't know football" are running these clubs, but at least the clubs are around for them to whinge at.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

MiniSune posted:

A thorough and detailed explanation to my silly questions.

Thank you very much for this.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Thank you very much for this.

Anytime, sorry it took so long to answer them.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Should get you to write the op next year

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I have no problem with expansion teams from existing areas. Redcliffe was a good result, Ipswich/Western Suburbs would have been fine too. 18th team should be North Coast Bears or something to that effect.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
It looks like Ipswich may follow relatively soon. The lure of more QLD teams and increased cash from Fox is too much.

The fact Ipswich needs a stadium would be solved when the Aleague puts a team there, it then makes it a multi-purpose facility and can be federally funded.

Apparently there have been talks between the NRL and the FFA over it, although the new aleagues would have to sign off on it now, no reason they wouldn't.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

MiniSune posted:

It looks like Ipswich may follow relatively soon. The lure of more QLD teams and increased cash from Fox is too much.

The fact Ipswich needs a stadium would be solved when the Aleague puts a team there, it then makes it a multi-purpose facility and can be federally funded.

Apparently there have been talks between the NRL and the FFA over it, although the new aleagues would have to sign off on it now, no reason they wouldn't.

There's insane amounts of money pouring into areas west of Brisbane. Areas that used to be empty - complete bushland and nothing are now suburbs. The traffic is becoming terrible but it's a massive growth area for qld.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

BlindSite posted:

There's insane amounts of money pouring into areas west of Brisbane. Areas that used to be empty - complete bushland and nothing are now suburbs. The traffic is becoming terrible but it's a massive growth area for qld.

As long as the east of the city remains ridiculously under-developed I'm happy. Very nice to live 5 minutes from the water, 15 from the city, for half the price of where we lived out west in Sydney (and for a substantially larger/newer place surrounded by acreage). Bayside can remain nice and quiet and everyone can keep going out west, please.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Panthers just sacked Tyrone May.

https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2021/11/03/club-statement---tyrone-may/

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wonder which club will pick him up

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
He'll land somewhere but he'll be on his last chance and will probably have to take a pay cut. And if he fucks up again and gets booted he'll probably land a Super League contract anyway.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I dunno, I reckon the NRL wont touch him for a few years and he'll be off to SL.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
So did anyone have "Brett Finch is a pedo" in their off-season bingo card?

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Saul Goode posted:

So did anyone have "Brett Finch is a pedo" in their off-season bingo card?

And only a couple of days after the "rock bottom" redemption articles started coming out: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/l...bead536f82a5815

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-use-discord/

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
No.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I am please to be enraged at referees and 6 again calls with you all again soon. Anyone else firing up their Kayo to watch some trial games?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Oh yeah

Am tempted to roll down to Kougari and watch our local Seagulls play the Broncos

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

iajanus posted:

Oh yeah

Am tempted to roll down to Kougari and watch our local Seagulls play the Broncos

I didn't even think about going live. It's only 45 mins from me. Probably should have planned my day better.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

All star game getting a little stupid. Dudes are gonna be suspended for a nothing game.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

BlindSite posted:

All star game getting a little stupid. Dudes are gonna be suspended for a nothing game.

As long as they're not from my team I'm ok with it

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Didn't feel like it was a nothing game for the players.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I am once again excited for meaningless pre-season fixtures.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Tigers continue to Tiger in a nothing encounter.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Savage looked great. Keen to see the trials today too. Hopefully we get to see Cobbo in action at fullback with Niu out.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Resident Idiot posted:

Tigers continue to Tiger in a nothing encounter.

It's what we do

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Manu Vatuvei’s just been sent to prison for importing meth.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Team Lists coming out tomorrow and I can re-do my supercoach team for the 4th time.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
That was a fun game, late comeback, 2 point FG, heartbreak for souffs.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Since I really can't be hosed writing a 22 version of this I should get the mods to change the name

Any suggestions?

Unless someone wants to create a new thread

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Dunno if this is available everywhere, but they;re putting full match replays up on youtube. loving awesome news for the dirty foreigners like me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AyFW5iBW80

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

iajanus posted:

Any suggestions?

If anyone ever wants to talk league, just ask for a link to the Discord server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I know this thread is dead but I just wanted somewhere I could post

OH gently caress YEAH SAMOA!!!!