Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

current interview status: im scheduled to interview someone tomorrow with a 5 page resume for a 4 year career

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
sounds like a real go getter

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Asleep Style posted:

current interview status: im scheduled to interview someone tomorrow with a 5 page resume for a 4 year career

is this an eurocv for a publicly funded position, or are you wasting your time

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

I am wasting my time

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Asleep Style posted:

for a while i was getting really frustrated with the insane long resumes I was getting but apparently linkedin has a resume-generator that they run off your profile and hr was just giving me those instead of the candidate's actual resumes

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

PIZZA.BAT posted:

for a while i was getting really frustrated with the insane long resumes I was getting but apparently linkedin has a resume-generator that they run off your profile and hr was just giving me those instead of the candidate's actual resumes

this is probably it, apparently we've been getting a lot of resumes like this for open positions. good to know

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
I had a team match interview for a company I really liked

it was strange. manager said a lot of good things about mentorship, and empathy, support, work-life balance, shielding employees from upper management, etc. but i got a weird self-promotional vibe and he mostly talked about himself and would kind of ignore my attempts to build connection. didn't really laugh or acknowledge any of my jokes, but grinned at his own. It sort of felt like he always had to have the last word on everything or correct me.

like when I used the YOSPOS-approved question about "What's the hardest thing about the job?" he talked about his own job.

not sure how much of a deal breaker all that should be.

obviously not ideal, but it would be a great step up from my current dead-end role. it does feel like options are closing because my current role is so limited i have very little to talk about in interviews.

I could try to hold out for another team to talk to, but my recruiter has hard a hard time finding teams who are actually willing to hire remote people, despite officially being remotely friendly.

0) Ask if I could have a follow-up interview with a potential teammate? Is there a good way of sussing out whether a manager is good from someone who's not incentivized to be honest with you if they're not?

1) Roll the dice, I could always try to transfer in a year or use the experience to hop elsewhere. stack those figgies in the meantime

2) attempt for another team match and hope it's better

cheque_some fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 12, 2021

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Do 0. It's pretty unlikely that they directly lie to you and at worst they'll probably be cagey or answer generically which gives you the information you need. Don't ask generically if the manager sucks. Ask specific questions on the points that matter to you. What's your day like? When do you come in or leave? When was your last vacation? Etc

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cheque_some posted:

like when I used the YOSPOS-approved question about "What's the hardest thing about the job?" he talked about his own job.

tell me you don't think of your workers as people without telling me you don't think of your workers as people

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
looking back the good bosses I had always set up an interview with peers and explicitly told me to ask about the their (the bosses) performance

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

cheque_some posted:

I had a team match interview for a company I really liked

it was strange. manager said a lot of good things about mentorship, and empathy, support, work-life balance, shielding employees from upper management, etc. but i got a weird self-promotional vibe and he mostly talked about himself and would kind of ignore my attempts to build connection. didn't really laugh or acknowledge any of my jokes, but grinned at his own. It sort of felt like he always had to have the last word on everything or correct me.

not sure how much of a deal breaker all that should be.

obviously not ideal, but it would be a great step up from my current dead-end role. it does feel like options are closing because my current role is so limited i have very little to talk about in interviews.

I could try to hold out for another team to talk to, but my recruiter has hard a hard time finding teams who are actually willing to hire remote people, despite officially being remotely friendly.

0) Ask if I could have a follow-up interview with a potential teammate? Is there a good way of sussing out whether a manager is good from someone who's not incentivized to be honest with you if they're not?

1) Roll the dice, I could always try to transfer in a year or use the experience to hop elsewhere. stack those figgies in the meantime

2) attempt for another team match and hope it's better

tbh honest it sounds like this guy legit sucks and working for him will suck and is still plausibly the best career decision for you right now as long as you think you have the emotional reserves to gut it out for a year

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I've never had a manager's self importance be a crucial factor in liking working for them except when they needed everyone to like them and thus couldn't hold people accountable. I've had managers who were very team focused and some who were really there for their own career but they were effective at their job so I didn't care. Might've gotten lucky though.

Honestly my biggest issues with managers has always been their ability to manage expectations and create accountability up and down.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

the only truly toxic manager i had was an rear end in a top hat who would throw me under the bus for absolutely anything. a customer is reviewing their expenses and is suddenly asking why this one feature they've been shifting scope on for six months is suddenly too expensive? my fault even though he was the one who was approving the change orders. like not even the slightest attempt at pushing back. our convoluted and extremely fragile build process accidentally pushes a feature to the customer's stage environment? this has to be an all-hands-on-deck call with our directors just so he can publicly berate me for it. thank god our tech director was competent and gently reminded my manager that i was the one who had been saying that this exact situation was a when, not if, scenario, and that we needed to be ready for when it inevitably happened. our customer relations director then asked if the customer was even aware that the feature was in their environment and if so, were they even upset about it. no on both, of course. he just wanted to make a show of putting me down

thank god i left that place in the dust

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i wouldn’t make too huge of a snap judgement about someone based on how they act as an interviewer, interviews do weird things to people on both sides of the table. sure he could turn out to be a self absorbed rear end in a top hat, and it could still turn out that it doesn’t really matter anyway if he doesn’t micromanage his teams

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I've hit a weird point in my role and domain area. There is very little organizational hierarchy to our current design team and most of us are starting to mature and the team is starting to get top heavy. There is only one other associate director, everyone is mostly senior and then my boss who is at the Sr. director level. My manager is aware of this and wants to promote more AD's but from within the company. That leaves me and the other sr. designer on the consumer side. I'm at a restaurant SaaS company so mostly there is focus exclusively on B2B so I'm in a weird niche area of B2C. Me and the other designer have been partnering together this year and have been balancing each other's skill sets and I think our work quality has been exemplary as a result.

My rub is w/ there being only one other A/D, he is overstretched and I don't really want to be in the same position as him, but also want to start being able to build a structure on the consumer design side of the org. I've been doing broader roadmapping for improving the much neglected account experience on our white label ecom site, which has been really fun work for me and helping to mentor our summer design intern. Even worse is upper management seems to have no clarity on how to handle B2C/ecommerce and our consumer facing products are suffering from outdated UI and dropped table stakes UX. This latest project I'm on has disrupted almost every roadmap, was a snap decision with no planning that was decided to move forward during their exec offsite. My PM got removed from the project for pushing back too much. So I'm really very done with this insanity and want the project to fail because it will continue to encourage this behavior.

I sort of want to reach for the A/D role to get it over the summer promotional frame, work it for a year then turn in my resignation and take 3-6 months off work. The promotion would probably make my current designer partner report to me, which feels awk to me since we've been equals for as long as I've been employed. This time frame happens to be the last of my majority vestment, which as at this point is about 2 extra years of salary I could bank if I run out the clock. I've been with my current company for 2.5 years at this point. The benefits are really great too along with a generous RSU program.

Should I just stay in my current level though and let the other senior designer go for the position? How would getting to more middle management position and then leaving look when/if I decide to get back to design? My story would be I tried the position, did like got burned out/didn't like it got burned and when getting back into the job market will prob apply for senior designer again.

tldr I want to gently caress around and find out about being a middle manager in a mismanaged side of the business

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 12, 2021

An cruiscin lan
Mar 4, 2020

carry on then posted:

what is a bonus?

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

i wouldn’t make too huge of a snap judgement about someone based on how they act as an interviewer, interviews do weird things to people on both sides of the table. sure he could turn out to be a self absorbed rear end in a top hat, and it could still turn out that it doesn’t really matter anyway if he doesn’t micromanage his teams

I get what you’re saying but the interview is kinda your only chance to get a feel for interacting with someone you might have to interact with daily for years. i know I’ve ignored warning signs in many interviews only to be unsurprised and miserable a month later. I’ve never once had a negative interview experience with someone and later found out it was a fluke. they always turned out to just be assholes

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

lol

https://web.archive.org/web/20211014200658/https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/1773420/software-development-engineer

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
thread title:

> are you interested in building hyper-scale database services in my butt?

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
should i bother giving 2 weeks notice if i only started a few weeks ago? seems like i'm going to be "burning bridges" either way

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

qsvui posted:

should i bother giving 2 weeks notice if i only started a few weeks ago? seems like i'm going to be "burning bridges" either way

no

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Meh, if you just started you aren't doing productive work anyway probably. Do you like the people there? it's mostly a courtesy to them but if you're ready to leave so soon it probably sucks so who cares. If it's a super short stint just leave it off your resume entirely

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

thread title:

> are you interested in building hyper-scale database services in my butt?

If you have experience shoving hyper scale amounts of data into my butt hmu on linked in

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

qsvui posted:

what happened to make you leave so soon?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

qsvui posted:

depends on why. if you took the other job bc you had a great offer come in that was being slow (or currentjob refused to push back their deadline or w/e), then absolutely give the notice. "sorry but this came in from my previous round of looking and jesus look at those numbers" is perfectly respectable

if they're mistreating you and you're leaving due to a grievance, then gently caress em and do whatever makes you most comfortable

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
finally got an offer for a new product gig, building a bunch of new stuff instead of fixing mountains of tech debt. been looking around with various levels of seriousness for years, i'm so glad poo poo has finally lined up.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
drat just got shut down. called up company that makes primary pharmacy software in nz

dude was like “we don’t do that. wait for a job to come up”

I said “ok, between now and whenever that is, is there anything I can do on the side to increase my future chances of a job”

“learn windows like the back of your hand”

and I tried to imply I was decent with windows. he just assumed I only knew a couple tricks. was a dick the entire time. i’m sure i don’t know windows like a pro but i have been loving around with all aspects of it for the better part of two decades. maybe i’m
fooling myself

and I had applied to one of the big pharmacies which I had always had in mind as a backup option, but I didn’t even get a call or anything. what a piece of poo poo I am lol.

maybe i’ll be stuck here forever. it’s gonna take all my energy to keep the self-death thoughts under control today. lol. hahaha have a good day everyone

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

don't feel bad, you normally don't get software jobs by calling a company up and asking for one unless you're in your grandpa's anecdote from 1949

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

echinopsis posted:

drat just got shut down. called up company that makes primary pharmacy software in nz

dude was like “we don’t do that. wait for a job to come up”

I said “ok, between now and whenever that is, is there anything I can do on the side to increase my future chances of a job”

“learn windows like the back of your hand”

and I tried to imply I was decent with windows. he just assumed I only knew a couple tricks. was a dick the entire time. i’m sure i don’t know windows like a pro but i have been loving around with all aspects of it for the better part of two decades. maybe i’m
fooling myself

and I had applied to one of the big pharmacies which I had always had in mind as a backup option, but I didn’t even get a call or anything. what a piece of poo poo I am lol.

maybe i’ll be stuck here forever. it’s gonna take all my energy to keep the self-death thoughts under control today. lol. hahaha have a good day everyone

rejections super suck, sorry :(

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

here you go: https://angel.co/company/alto/jobs

try that, they're actually hiring people to design products for their pharmacy software. it's a pandemic so they might not care about remote, esp if you do it as a contractor instead of making them do international healthcare or w/e

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Achmed Jones posted:

don't feel bad, you normally don't get software jobs by calling a company up and asking for one unless you're in your grandpa's anecdote from 1949

drive to their office, don't leave until you get an interview!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

here you go: https://angel.co/company/alto/jobs

try that, they're actually hiring people to design products for their pharmacy software. it's a pandemic so they might not care about remote, esp if you do it as a contractor instead of making them do international healthcare or w/e

thanks dude

i wasn’t expecting a job, but was expecting a friendlier response. dude didn’t even pass me on to HR, no idea who he was, but just took it upon himself to let me know that they don’t give guidance to people to help them get jobs.

suppose i’m also used to the empathetic way people in my industry talk to each other, not the harsh cutting way tech people talk to one another when one thinks they’re more correct than the other

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

echinopsis posted:

thanks dude

i wasn’t expecting a job, but was expecting a friendlier response. dude didn’t even pass me on to HR, no idea who he was, but just took it upon himself to let me know that they don’t give guidance to people to help them get jobs.

suppose i’m also used to the empathetic way people in my industry talk to each other, not the harsh cutting way tech people talk to one another when one thinks they’re more correct than the other

yeah dude, this was some receptionist that was just like "wtf" and didn't know how to handle that sorta thing. don't feel bad at all

to be honest i'm pretty gobsmacked that you thought this was a reasonable way to procure employment. i can't think of any job where you can call a receptionist up and ask how to get hired and expect that to work out unless it's maybe as a receptionist for the company. surely they have a careers site, you know?

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 21, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’ve never really been one to have a self esteem. i’ve never understood how someone can derive their own self esteem, only really been able to have it when someone else says “good picture” or whatever.

that said last few weeks i’ve been trying to accept maybe i’m good at things and good at lots of things (and not just being a loving train wreck on the forums).

but maybe that was misplaced. like, this is proof it only matters what others think about me. what I think is worthless

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah dude, this was some receptionist that was just like "wtf" and didn't know how to handle that sorta thing. don't feel bad at all

maybe. he was pretty loving confident.

but thanks. maybe you’re right

😿 anyway back to work. got prescriptions to check.

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

Not every company is like that. A lot of places recognise that if a candidate has a lovely experience, then it reflects poorly on the company and hurts their chances of hiring good people in future.

That doesn't help the fact that you had a bad go of it this time. I'm sorry about that, I've been there and it really sucks. Just try not to let that discourage you from looking elsewhere.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

echinopsis posted:

but maybe that was misplaced. like, this is proof it only matters what others think about me. what I think is worthless

this is an astoundingly bad take. i'm still trying to figure out why you thought a receptionist would be able to help you instead of finding a recruiter or hiring manager or something. dont feel bad for the rejection, but do reconsider your strategy on landing the job. cold calling is not going to get you what you want

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

use linkedin echi. just spam recruiters on there

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

echinopsis posted:

maybe. he was pretty loving confident.

Some pro tips:

- Large companies have large amounts of process. (Often bad process.) They won't go outside of them because someone cold called. Part of working at a big company is understanding how to get stuff done within, often in spite of, a large company's processes. Asking them to go outside of them when they dont know you means you dont have that quite important skill.

- Dont take career advice from receptionists.

- Even at my tiny company I have someone who knows that if they were to put you through to anyone, they're gonna get a talking to. Cold callers are time wasters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

i'm still trying to figure out why you thought a receptionist would be able to help you instead of finding a recruiter or hiring manager or something.

well this is what I asked. I asked to speak to a person about the topic of future employment. but he just said “we don’t do that”.

but I hear what you’re saying. appreciate the support.

Vinz Clortho posted:

Not every company is like that. A lot of places recognise that if a candidate has a lovely experience, then it reflects poorly on the company and hurts their chances of hiring good people in future.

That doesn't help the fact that you had a bad go of it this time. I'm sorry about that, I've been there and it really sucks. Just try not to let that discourage you from looking elsewhere.

thanks man

raminasi posted:

rejections super suck, sorry :(

thanks for the support