Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

rotinaj posted:

Who do you even think you are arguing with

The only real person who slandered that book was me and it’s because I find Rome boring, I didn’t get very far in reading it because of that. But the main point I was, and feel did make, is that lots of podcasters wind up turning scripts from their show into a book, and very often that feels less interesting than it could be. My examples being Greg proops’ podcast book, the chapo podcast book, the dollop podcast book.

I didn’t say anything about liking or disliking the books. I’m asking what did you expect it to be. Duncan at least is a narrative historian and his book was that. I’m not sure what else it could be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

AceOfFlames posted:

The End is Always Near is also Dan Carlin shamelessly rehashing material from the show.

The Last Podcast On The Left book at least had some nice art and new jokes.

Did Marcus write this all by himself? I have trouble imagining Henry sitting down and writing a book. Ben, maybe.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah it was pretty much all Marcus and some of the people they brought in to help research. It's also how we got the relaxed fit episodes to help Marcus not totally destroy his life

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CharlestheHammer posted:

I didn’t say anything about liking or disliking the books. I’m asking what did you expect it to be. Duncan at least is a narrative historian and his book was that. I’m not sure what else it could be

I'll bite.

For it and Wyman's book (I haven't read the LaFayette book yet) I don't dislike the books, but my personal tastes prefer things being shifted at least one notch more towards analysing and discussing the evidence, whether that's in doing some primary source analysis or crunchy literature reviews. No matter what I'm reading/listening to, I get the most pleasure out of getting into the weeds (which is why I think Kaldelis's podcast is my favourite right now). The whole book doesn't have to be an academic monograph, but give me a paragraph or two of that type of discussion per chapter.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

CommonShore posted:

I'll bite.

For it and Wyman's book (I haven't read the LaFayette book yet) I don't dislike the books, but my personal tastes prefer things being shifted at least one notch more towards analysing and discussing the evidence, whether that's in doing some primary source analysis or crunchy literature reviews. No matter what I'm reading/listening to, I get the most pleasure out of getting into the weeds (which is why I think Kaldelis's podcast is my favourite right now). The whole book doesn't have to be an academic monograph, but give me a paragraph or two of that type of discussion per chapter.

I mean that’s just never what it was going to be, as that’s not the style Duncan seems to prefer. I guess he could change it up but that’s what he does. There are historians who specialize in those types of books but the narrative histories are more popular because they are just easier to read.

I don’t know why he would change what he prefers for his books. They should be the same.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean that’s just never what it was going to be, as that’s not the style Duncan seems to prefer. I guess he could change it up but that’s what he does. There are historians who specialize in those types of books but the narrative histories are more popular because they are just easier to read.

I don’t know why he would change what he prefers for his books. They should be the same.

I don't really have a horse in this race either way but I don't think they necessarily should be the same, it's a book not a podcast, it would be natural for it to go more in depth, it would hardly be strange if he had chosen to switch it up.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
I mean, I happily bought the book(s). I also think Duncan pushing into some newer ground with H2W shows what a pretty basic first book can do in terms of giving you latitude to do a project that's not just the expansion of episode scripts. With Wyman I suspect there was a conscious decision to keep it accessible and "Dad History" at lack of a better label -- but I guess I would also hold him to a slightly higher standard considering that he has a PhD in history. It's something to look forward to instead of regretting IMO.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
I'm kind of sad that Duncan and Wyman's books are on those particular topics. Lafayette I don't find interesting and I don't enjoy biographies, whereas with The Verge it's the opposite - it covers a period I was obsessed with for years and probably wouldn't learn much from a narrative history.

Shame, because they're both fantastic creators I listen to all the time and I kind of feel like I should be excited to read their books but it's just meh.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Mike has semi-confirmed on Twitter (though of course I can’t find the tweet now) that his next book will likely be about the Crisis of the Third Century, so maybe that’ll be more appealing to you?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

webmeister posted:

Mike has semi-confirmed on Twitter (though of course I can’t find the tweet now) that his next book will likely be about the Crisis of the Third Century, so maybe that’ll be more appealing to you?

that actually sounds really interesting.

AceOfFlames posted:

The End is Always Near is also Dan Carlin shamelessly rehashing material from the show.

The Last Podcast On The Left book at least had some nice art and new jokes.

i actually liked the book because it went over some of the old heavy hitters from their um less polished days but with much better research and such, some are rehashes but they fill in the lines alot better. BTK and the night stalker are especially way way more detailed as are a couple of the others. i have hoping for 1 or 2 new people but i get why they didnt.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Chairman Capone posted:

Episode 9 of Blowback S2 comes down pretty heavily on "Lee Harvey Oswald and Jack Ruby were part of the CIA/Cuban exile movement" and that the Cuban exiles were the ones who had JFK assassinated.

Yeah I just finished listening to this episode and couldn't stop rolling my eyes the whole time. At the very least they could explicitly say that believe in a JFK conspiracy theory rather than just implying it

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that actually sounds really interesting.

Yep, can't wait. There really is very little (in English anyway) focused on the Crisis and our boy Aurelian. It's usually just part of a larger narrative. So, kind of like what The Storm Before the Storm did.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

Episode 9 of Blowback S2 comes down pretty heavily on "Lee Harvey Oswald and Jack Ruby were part of the CIA/Cuban exile movement" and that the Cuban exiles were the ones who had JFK assassinated.

i mean i am sadly not shocked. Lee was a loving weird contrarian tankie who got into frequent fights with the cuban exile folks. i hate the JFK conspiracy poo poo so loving much. most of it comes from loving oliver stones dumb loving movie. like blowback iraq was good but if i remember right it was also full of weird stupid conspiracy poo poo. oliver stone is a decent enough guy but i loving hate him as a history person. its either basic poo poo(america did this well known bad thing) or "actually this insane conspiracy poo poo is true".

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 14, 2021

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
I have Hero of Two Worlds in audiobook form. Duncan isn't afraid to crib from his own impressive American and French Revolution work, but the book really is about Lafayette. It's a biography, and it reads like that. It kind of has to be that way because Lafayette is never in charge of overall events.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have to reccomend the British History Podcast.

The guy who does it is a lawyer who is really eager and fascinated by all the political horse-trading and shenanigans that went on in Britain, even before 1066.
His episodes are really well researched too.

He's got over 300 episodes, and some of them are funny as hell.

https://www.thebritishhistorypodcast.com/362-meet-the-godwins/

At about 12 minutes in he talks about the older brother of harald godwinson, swain godwinson.

And he absolutely loves talking about how swain godwinson is such an absolute shithead who helps the welsh(who are in a protracted border conflict with the English at this time), says in front of his own mother in public that his dad actually is king cnut (and enraging his mom so much she almost passes out), and deciding to kidnap a abbess from a convent and make her his bride.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

It's fun. But I wouldn't be surprised if he reaches episode 400 before he hits 1066 and the Battle of Hastings.

If he can take that long just getting that far, what's he going to be like when he reaches periods where there are a lot of primary sources (whose lack he's often complaining about for earlier history).

I mean fair enough, enjoy the journey. But I don't see how he can possibly complete this project in any reasonable time before burning out/losing interest.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, the podcast so far is fun to listen to, and he really gleefully gets into all the historiography issues and such that make people gloss over pre-1066 Britian

And I enjoy him pointing out stuff like the fact that at one point in the record military campaigns were referred to as 'construction projects' that just happened to build forts in enemy territory.

Or how dysfunctional the kingdom of northumbria was because of all the nobles murdering each other and declaring themselves king.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've listened to every episode of the BHP so I would call myself a fan, but he does have some tics that do annoy me. I wish he would be clearer when not doing pure narrative what's his summary of the secondary research and what's his original research or point of view. Also he often plays into the idea when talking about claims and rights as if they have inherent value, rather than being cultural constructs. It's not a huge deal, it's a great show all around.

The first episode was in 2011, given his longevity so far, I don't think there's a lot of concerns about him burning out or losing interest tbh. I mean maybe there's parts of the island's history that he's coming to? But right now it seems like he's certainly in it for the long haul. It'll be interesting though to see what happens when he starts getting to periods where he can't just read all of the primary texts. I don't think we've come to that point yet.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

War Nerd dropping a civil war series 😍

coathat
May 21, 2007

I started listing to The Napoleonicist and its ok if you're looking for a podcast about the Napoleon era. It's like Sean's Russia Blog where its mainly interviews with experts in the field talking about what they know. So it's a good detour from narrative history.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
The guys who did the WWI-week-by-week Youtube-series, have started a similar feature on the Franco-Prussian War of 1870. Pretty cool stuff so far.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1eDEd1AYG3YrRIJSZzMOQ

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Feels almost unbelievable that In Our Time is only now doing an episode on Herodotus.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

busalover posted:

The guys who did the WWI-week-by-week Youtube-series, have started a similar feature on the Franco-Prussian War of 1870. Pretty cool stuff so far.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1eDEd1AYG3YrRIJSZzMOQ

thats dope.

i want to reccomend overly sarcastic production. both its hosts are great and they alternate between blue doing history based series OR red doing lit based stuff. https://www.youtube.com/c/OverlySarcasticProductionsChannel

i believe they have a podcast too.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Is there something I need to do in order to see all the episodes of the Tides of History podcast? It starts off in July 2017 and the third episode jumps to October 2018. I'm using a generic RSS podcast app.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
I think you have to join Wondery Plus to get access to the full back catalog.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i believe they have a podcast too.

Your belief is well-founded.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Not quite a podcast, but Patrick Wyman has an interview in Jacobin. The guy interviewing him is Will Sloan, who is the cohost of the Michael and Us podcast which is a great film review show.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2021/10/local-gentry-patrick-wyman-class-wealth-power

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

The Business Wars host is doing accents in his narration now :allears:

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
Knowledge Fight's episode from yesterday has an interview with one of the lawyers for the plaintiffs/parents in the Sandy Hook/Alex Jones lawsuit. Good stuff.

e: Well, not good stuff, but

JaneError fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 5, 2021

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

JaneError posted:

Knowledge Fight's episode from yesterday has an interview with one of the lawyers for the plaintiffs/parents in the Sandy Hook/Alex Jones lawsuit. Good stuff.

The lawyer's incredulity at InfoWars' complete inability to mount a satisfactory defense is worth the listen alone

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I find one of Knowledge Fight's two hosts a little... "too excited" for my tastes, but I might tune in just to hear that interview.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
yeah the shrieking is a bit much but this is an incredible listen

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

JaneError posted:

Okay Yea that was a great listen. That lawyer is awesome. And Jones is such a piece of poo poo. Which is obvious but still

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Also the knowledge fight guys helpfully posted their original podcast going over the deposition, that's mentioned in the recent episode. It as well is comedy gold-- limited shrieking in this one too, which is nice.

https://knowledgefight.libsyn.com/knowledge-fight-formulaic-objections

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cockblocktopus posted:

The Business Wars host is doing accents in his narration now :allears:

I think he's been doing that since the KFC episode, TBH it;s a bad podcast, but I still listen for reasons unknown to myself

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I know I come back fairly regularly with this one, but any recommendations for more humanities/history podcasts that are approximately as crunchy (or even crunchier) than Byzantium and Friends? That was a slam dunk for my tastes. I would listen to Anthony Kaldelis talk to other scholars about their work literally all day every day.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

CommonShore posted:

I know I come back fairly regularly with this one, but any recommendations for more humanities/history podcasts that are approximately as crunchy (or even crunchier) than Byzantium and Friends? That was a slam dunk for my tastes. I would listen to Anthony Kaldelis talk to other scholars about their work literally all day every day.

Give "The Napoleonicist" a listen if the Napoleonic era interests you. It happily dives into a bunch of scholarly discussions and doesn't shy away from the minutiae of things.

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 9, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

PerilPastry posted:

Give "The Napoleonicist" a listen if the Napoleonic era interests you. It happily dives into a bunch of scholarly discussions and doesn't shy away from the minutiae of things.

Thanks! Giving it a try

coathat
May 21, 2007

Sean’s Russia Blog is also great covering pretty much every topic relating to Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't really care if the books are good, I bought them so the dudes get money and enough sales to be allowed to write more books. I've gotten hundreds of hours of free content from them, least I can do is buy the books. I liked The Storm Before the Storm though.

Same; I actually don't really care that much about Lafayette, but I wanted to support Mike so I ended up preordering the book. Hopefully the next one is on something that interests me more (but I'm gonna buy it anyway).