Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah he's fine.

please don't quote this post to own me when we discover whatever his horrible secret is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Almost everyone who has worked for Linus since the early days are either still there with him or are still friends and make occasional appearances. He legitimately strikes me as a boss that cares about creating a good work environment. For being a rich tech bro, linus comes off as a pretty decent dude all things considered.

I do occasionally get the vibe that there is an inner circle outer circle thing going on at LMG and that it probably kind of sucks to not be one of the Cool Kids Who Are Friends With The Boss, but I’m not sure how much of that is me projecting based on workplaces I’ve been at.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That's pretty normal for any group of people. Not everyone shows up at the same time, not everyone wants to be tight-knit. There was a time when Alex or Jake or Anthony were "new".

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Almost everyone who has worked for Linus since the early days are either still there with him or are still friends and make occasional appearances. He legitimately strikes me as a boss that cares about creating a good work environment. For being a rich tech bro, linus comes off as a pretty decent dude all things considered.

Well Rich and Tech, Linus is very much not a bro.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'd say he's in media, so rich and a bro, but very much not in tech.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you've been sad that GN hasn't been finding any truly horrible prebuilts recently, the newest one will make you happy.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Beve Sturke

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

njsykora posted:

If you've been sad that GN hasn't been finding any truly horrible prebuilts recently, the newest one will make you happy.

as someone in the comments put it, "ting is not the sound a case should make when it falls off a desk"

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
https://twitter.com/linustech/status/1444693732637380622?s=21

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Arivia posted:

as someone in the comments put it, "ting is not the sound a case should make when it falls off a desk"

I was consulting for a huge company one time and they had acquisitioned 3 fully built 3 maxed out dell 2u servers + sans for vm hosts to consolidate their gigantic data room.

While racking them I heard that very specific "loose screw in case" sound, that ping that means the screw dropped etc. We opened up this fresh from factory 100k server and sure enough, one of the mini screws (probably m.2 sized) was floating around under the whole stack of fans, risers etc.

So yeah, if a company of that size outputs manufacturing issues on the enterprise level do not be surprised when the consumer level has issues as well.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

no pubes yet sorry posted:

I was consulting for a huge company one time and they had acquisitioned 3 fully built 3 maxed out dell 2u servers + sans for vm hosts to consolidate their gigantic data room.

While racking them I heard that very specific "loose screw in case" sound, that ping that means the screw dropped etc. We opened up this fresh from factory 100k server and sure enough, one of the mini screws (probably m.2 sized) was floating around under the whole stack of fans, risers etc.

So yeah, if a company of that size outputs manufacturing issues on the enterprise level do not be surprised when the consumer level has issues as well.

Sadly, the prebuilt in question was HP, not Dell, but you make a good point anyway. It's not like Beve Sturke has had better luck with his Dell and Alienware.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Made me think of this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wKPTWXD2Z0

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

For 15 years I worked for an OEM in the graphic arts industry. Aside from developing software, I was also responsible for handling our RMAs for hardware support because I was a PC hardware guru. We built server-class rendering workstations, which were really just Intel servers that we stuffed our proprietary interface cards into. I helped my coworker build the machines when I wasn't busy with other things or when we had a particularly large number of orders. Our cables were meticulously managed years before it was cool.

We used blue loctite on all our fasteners because shipping is loving awful and vibrations can make pretty much anything back out. But that's not the only thing that can come loose. When Intel changed over to some tool-less parts, the most common shipping problem we had was the PCI-E guide bracket fan popping out of its bracket. We solved it with zip ties. Intel fixed it eventually, but we never stopped putting a safety zip tie in afterwards.

The most frequent RMA failures were WD Raptor drives, Intel BMC chips, and power supplies. Swear I had a 30% failure rate on those 2006-2009 era Raptors because of a head manufacturing issue that WD kept denying. The velociraptors fixed it but we were moved to SSDs as fast as we could.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

kefkafloyd posted:

The most frequent RMA failures were WD Raptor drives, Intel BMC chips, and power supplies. Swear I had a 30% failure rate on those 2006-2009 era Raptors because of a head manufacturing issue that WD kept denying. The velociraptors fixed it but we were moved to SSDs as fast as we could.
I guess I was lucky that my 74GB Raptor lasted four years. --edit: Label says Dec 2005.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i feel like this will never, ever matter because the entire youtube space is an incestuous nest of sponcon and out and out product shilling but: i really am increasingly aware that linus said "i won't be able to review laptops anymore!" and now is openly reviewing laptops and marking them down for failing to meet the standards set by his own company. LTT might have been ideologically for right to repair but afaik didn't give a poo poo about how well or not well a surface was user serviceable except maybe one or two lines complaining , now on a flagship main competitor to linus's investment gets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wwbo731jOQ

a full teardown. and again i don't give a poo poo from a lets-care-about-the-surface or microsoft or whatever perspective, gently caress em, it's just - i wouldn't watch Microsoft Tech Tips when they tear the framework a new one for being idk underpowered compared to the surface or something because i would correctly dismiss that as marketing. and, again, tech and particularly tech youtube is all about marketing and that's not remotely new i just find it, idk, a step farther? and like, the entire premise of "oh, if we do cover a competitor we'll get one of my employees to do it, thus resolving the conflict" both wasn't carried out and wouldn't actually resolve the problem anyway.

i guess it more broadly bothers me because i do think right to repair is a valid and worthwhile thing to pursue. this should be something we demand legislatively, it shouldn't be a feature, that defeats the entire object - eventually, like with john deere, the relevant company which offer the feature will no longer feel the need to be competitive and drop it. and it definitely muddles the intended good moral perspective when i watch these videos and some part of my brain is going "you're making money from this".

and like, this is kind of a rough thing to say because i'm an LTT fan - i don't know if some joe schmo tech youtuber would get away with "well, i own hundreds of thousands of dollars of this company, but here's my review of it anyway!" or here's my review of a competitor or even more abstract, here's my review of a product that may not strictly compete with something i own but the company does, or might, or whatever. there was a hardware unboxed Q and A question where they were asked directly if they'd do something similar and their reaction was like, oh you know linus, he's a great guy i'm sure if he says it it's fine you know performative youtuber niceness, but no, no we absolutely would never it's a huge conflict of interest and none of us could possibly do that ethically.

is the fact that i like linus' content creating a conflict as to how interested i am in his conflict of interest? am i more bothered because he announced it? it's buggin me.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I thought recusing himself from laptop reviews was just a hypothetical. Besides, that MS laptop review was actually pretty positive, despite him breaking it. That thing is more akin to a macbook than a framework, so it's not like there's a lot of cross-shoppers for him to influence.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Right to repair is absolutely the right thing to be campaigning for, but I look at a lot of the people campaigning at the front for it and they're people who all stand to profit. Louis Rossmann with his repair business, iFixit and their tool and spare part sales and Linus with his Framework investment. There's always self-interest in these kinds of campaigns it's just this one is something a lot of people want for non-financial reasons as well. That said having an investment in a rival laptop company and then reviewing what would be a competitor to your audience is dodgy as gently caress, especially if you're not disclosing it in the video.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
The thing that always seems missing from the "right to repair" argument is why devices became less repairable in the first place, at least consumer electronics, consumers liked them better. If you are in the market for a Surface or MacBook Air, the service allowed for them is probably perfectly fine, it breaks, you drop it off at the Apple Store, you get a "new" working computer/iPhone/watch, whatever.

Is it indicative of a larger problem? Almost certainly but right to repair will be a larger market than want to repair, and people want to take 8k OIS telephoto video in the pool with their new orange iPhone while using the clit stimulator mode or whatever the iPhone 18 has.

I mean, sucks for poor people and the environment, but it seems like we are are pretty OK with that already as a practice even if as a concept we like, recycle and stuff.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
Part of that Surface review that LTT did, I personally wouldn't of pegged them for it not being user serviceable. The reason being, even though Microsoft said they are all for Right-To-Repair, that announcement came out within the last week. The dev time for that laptop would of been a year to two years easy. Well before Microsoft said they were "actively looking into right to repair".

He does get way overly arrogant about a few things though. Take how he views burning movies for one example. Now he did say that he would still do laptop reviews if they weren't really in the same field as the lego one he invested in. Given time, if the company makes it, it could be in the same league though. That said, his staff is large enough he could never do another laptop review at all easily enough.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I have not yet understood what the Framework does that a Latitude or Thinkpad T-series does not.

Maybe it's the marketing?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It lets you pretend that engineering compromises don't exist and tell yourself that you're going to upgrade things that you 100% won't.

I swear the mindless obsession with detrimental customization is bleeding over from games to the real world.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Three Olives posted:

The thing that always seems missing from the "right to repair" argument is why devices became less repairable in the first place, at least consumer electronics, consumers liked them better. If you are in the market for a Surface or MacBook Air, the service allowed for them is probably perfectly fine, it breaks, you drop it off at the Apple Store, you get a "new" working computer/iPhone/watch, whatever.

The right to repair argument is less about devices becoming more difficult to repair due to tighter tolerances and more about manufacturers making it impossible for knowledgeable owners or third parties to repair a device through design (Apple, John Deere, and the McDonald's ice cream machine company are some of the most guilty of this). Putting a new, working battery into my phone should not break the camera - but Apple has designed part serial systems that arbitrarily disable key features when someone other than Apple repairs the device.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just want to be able to swap the battery and do reasonable upgrades (RAM, SSD, WLAN, I think that's it), plus repair or replace anything that breaks.

I don't care for a full-rear end entire upgrade path for my laptop, as long as it's repairable. But even that's hampered by BIOS whitelisting and anti-tamper designs and cryptographically linked parts.

E: Still rocking an X220i with all the reasonable upgrades one can do, always stick to refurbed corp laptops.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 12, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
my TV broke last week

I called up Samsung, and they sent a technician to take a look at it, and they found that one of the PCBs had shorted out, and needed to be replaced

however, Samsung's policy is that they don't do piece-wise replacements like that - I'd have to pay for the whole LCD structure to replaced... which per their quotation, was going to run about as much as a new TV anyway

(I gave up on the TV and bought a new one - moving from 34" 1080p, up to a 43" 4k screen)

what I could have done was to look for a repair shop or some other freelance repairman to replace just the one piece that was identified as being broken, which probably would have worked if I was willing to invest enough time and effort into shopping around???

my understanding of "Right to Repair" is when a corporation makes it difficult if not impossible for freelance repairmen to make such a repair, by making it so that, for example, they can't find out the design of the PCB, or the PCB or its component parts aren't available to be procured by anyone except the corporation, or there's some mechanism that disables the machines if it detects that any change in the original configuration has been made

so in this situation, assuming their TVs were built that way, not only would I have been forced to go to Samsung because nobody else can repair it, but once I did do that, I'd be subject to Samsung's policy of not doing small-scale repairs anyway

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

K8.0 posted:

It lets you pretend that engineering compromises don't exist and tell yourself that you're going to upgrade things that you 100% won't.

I swear the mindless obsession with detrimental customization is bleeding over from games to the real world.

The massively hosed up way we treat consumer electronics and the way that has been beaten into everyone resulting into dumb takes like these is loving horrifying.
Every part in every device should be easily replaceable. As many parts of these devices as possible should be open sourced so that parts can be sourced more locally and we absolutely need to make these things last trough many owners and many years of use because let me tell you, the current way we do things where we throw out 99% of all the poo poo we use is making some real bad poo poo happen to the world you live in.

One laptop company isn't going to change things, we need strong regulatory action here and this is just the very tiniest tip of the iceberg for the kind of poo poo we're in for the future and if we don't do this and countless other changes then lol, nothing matters we're all turbofucked anyways.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It is a certainty that if you gave everyone Framework laptops, the total level of waste would be higher. It is a near certainty that if you gave everyone who is interested in them Framework laptops, the overall level of waste would be higher. The number of people who buy a Framework and ever replace or upgrade something that they couldn't do on something like a T series is going to be less than 1%.

The idea that everything should be modular and replaceable is just as stupid as deliberately sabotaging repairability. Making things modular when they are unlikely to fail or be upgraded within their useful lifetime is definitionally wasteful. It requires more material and energy to manufacture, as well as increasing failure rates and wasting more there. It also requires further engineering compromises for anything that is space-constrained (i.e. nearly everything, but especially laptops) requiring them to be some combination of heavier, wasteful of expensive/exotic material, and less durable/reliable if you want the same functionality in same packaging. It gets even stupider when you try to make things upgradeable. If you try to constrain future designs around the packaging requirements of current hardware to create "upgradeability" you either waste space when things shrink or you have to severely compromise when things get larger. One of the two is almost always happening to every generation of everything. There is no magic solution to engineering.

Framework might have some value as a talking point, to get people thinking. It has virtually no value as an actual product.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 12, 2021

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Phones and laptops could stand to be a bit thicker than they currently are anyway, and if that increase allows for a design that's easier to upgrade and repair that's just fine. As it stands the iphone has that stupid loving camera bump for no reason when the back could just as easily be flush with the cameras if they added ~1-2mm of thickness to the phone. That said, yeah any attempt at making a phone that can be easily repaired is going to necessarily have compromises to efficient design to facilitate that ability to repair - you can't really make weird-rear end board and battery shapes if the user is expected to be able to replace them with another one down the road that might need a different design. Maybe a laptop this would probably be easier to do since there is a lot more space, so I see the argument there.

As for the e-waste thing, sure you don't junk the whole phone but what happens with the old components after you replace them? The ones that are obsolete and can't be used anymore for things because developers seem to think that exponentially increasing compute power gives them leeway to be lazier with optimization? For that matter, batteries which just have a set lifespan regardless of if they're replaceable or not?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I think Linus is generally the best of that bunch, but in catering to their hardcore obsessive crowd, all of the tech tubers just massively overestimate how important it is to most people that things run optimally. Yes, there are lots of people out there who buy the new iPhone every year, but there's a sizeable base of people who hold on to their phones for as long as possible (and that number is rising!) - even if the screen is cracked to poo poo and the battery lasts an hour.

It's even more the case with computers, and has been for much longer! I'd wager we all know more people who hang onto barely functioning laptops than people who swap out components every time and clean out their desktops every few months or whatever. Like, most people I know will never and have never cleaned out the dust from their PC, laptop or games console, because it's honestly just not something they want to do, and it works well enough running a bit hotter. I have a friend whose laptop's CPU fan no longer works so the hardware beeps loudly until it switches itself off after about an hour, but it's good enough for them.

I guess it's crazy because as much as Linus et al want to campaign against e-waste, it's their specific audience relationship that encourages pointless upgrades/wanting the new thing/etc, most of which makes a benchmark number push higher but has no functional difference for real-world use cases.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Framework laptop seems like a cool idea and it looks like a decent price for what you get, but so far all we've seen in terms of expandability is some swappable I/O that would probably be better served by just having 4x Type-C ports anyway.

I think the only way to judge whether it was a successful idea or not is when replacement mainboards are available for the next-gen CPU, what compromises have been made to get to that point, and what they price the board at.

Reparability is different from upgradeability and I don't think chasing upgradeability in tiny portable devices is worth doing. But it would be good if manufacturers built things with an eye on how they can be repaired. Things like charging ports being on separate boards that can be easily changed out should be the standard way of designing products. When Nokia were making their Lumia phones before MS bought them they were pretty much perfect in that regard.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nokia+Lumia+800+Display+Assembly+Replacement/9045

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 12, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CoolCab posted:

i feel like this will never, ever matter because the entire youtube space is an incestuous nest of sponcon and out and out product shilling but: i really am increasingly aware that linus said "i won't be able to review laptops anymore!"
If you go back, he didn't actually say that he'd do that. He brought it up as the "cleanest option" to avoid conflict of interest... but then ducked it because there were laptops he "was excited about" and wanted to review. And then he pretty much said we'll do what we've been doing, trust me.

That whole investment announcement video was the most amazing piece of ethical ju-jitsu. He didn't really commit to anything, and turned a disclosure into something as close to a advertisement for himself and framework as makes no odds.

OTOH I'm not sure how much Linus recusing himself from laptop reviews would really help. Like, personally I'm not that wowed by the Framework. I like the idea, but I think the usb modules are mostly a gimmick and the idea that the average laptop is impossible to work on is overblown. (The battery being a standard, easily available & replaceable part is very cool though. Battery replacement sucks in laptops.) If I worked for Linus, would I want to express that opinion and review other laptops in that light? I dunno.

CoolCab posted:

LTT might have been ideologically for right to repair but afaik didn't give a poo poo about how well or not well a surface was user serviceable except maybe one or two lines complaining , now on a flagship main competitor to linus's investment gets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wwbo731jOQ

a full teardown. and again i don't give a poo poo from a lets-care-about-the-surface or microsoft or whatever perspective, gently caress em, it's just - i wouldn't watch Microsoft Tech Tips when they tear the framework a new one for being idk underpowered compared to the surface or something because i would correctly dismiss that as marketing. and, again, tech and particularly tech youtube is all about marketing and that's not remotely new i just find it, idk, a step farther? and like, the entire premise of "oh, if we do cover a competitor we'll get one of my employees to do it, thus resolving the conflict" both wasn't carried out and wouldn't actually resolve the problem anyway.

So... if they'd just ended the review without opening it, because it "isn't user serviceable" and given it a big fat negative for being un-upgradable, that'd be a thing. Or if they'd spent an extra hour trying to open it properly -- getting out the heat gun probably would have revealed that glued screw-hider -- that'd be another. They could even do a fast montage of them puttering with it for hours to demonstrate how difficult it was. Fine.

But they didn't. They lost patience, yanked hard, and broke the thing. And then showed that and the results. That's kinda poo poo IMO.

Despite Linus's whole brand being "breaking expensive poo poo by being careless", IMO the ethical position he is in should push him to be more careful with other laptops. And it means when Linus breaks poo poo, don't show it like that. Say you broke it while trying to open it, because one of the screws was so hidden than you didn't know it existed. And that if anyone buys one they shouldn't try to open it until a professional teardown guide is available. That's the truth presented in a way that doesn't blame MS for something that was 50% Linus's fault.

I don't think he's corrupt, but I don't think LTT has the seriousness to take the conflict of interest seriously.

(All that said, if someone at MS really did tell them it only has 4 screws, that person should not be on the tech reviewer PR team. Big fail on MS's part.)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Grumbles posted:

I think Linus is generally the best of that bunch, but in catering to their hardcore obsessive crowd, all of the tech tubers just massively overestimate how important it is to most people that things run optimally. Yes, there are lots of people out there who buy the new iPhone every year, but there's a sizeable base of people who hold on to their phones for as long as possible (and that number is rising!) - even if the screen is cracked to poo poo and the battery lasts an hour.

It's even more the case with computers, and has been for much longer! I'd wager we all know more people who hang onto barely functioning laptops than people who swap out components every time and clean out their desktops every few months or whatever. Like, most people I know will never and have never cleaned out the dust from their PC, laptop or games console, because it's honestly just not something they want to do, and it works well enough running a bit hotter. I have a friend whose laptop's CPU fan no longer works so the hardware beeps loudly until it switches itself off after about an hour, but it's good enough for them.

I guess it's crazy because as much as Linus et al want to campaign against e-waste, it's their specific audience relationship that encourages pointless upgrades/wanting the new thing/etc, most of which makes a benchmark number push higher but has no functional difference for real-world use cases.

I'd have kept my Microsoft laptops even longer if I could have swapped out the swollen batteries without totally destroying the surrounding laptop.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Klyith posted:

But they didn't. They lost patience, yanked hard, and broke the thing. And then showed that and the results. That's kinda poo poo IMO.

I don't think he's corrupt, but I don't think LTT has the seriousness to take the conflict of interest seriously.

This right here. This is the thing.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
On the other hand it was funny and made for good click bait.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It’s been clear for years that LTT is an entertainment program. It’s top gear for computer poo poo. You don’t go to top gear for serious reviews of car stuff. You go there to see car related entertainment and banter. You don’t go to LTT for serious reviews, you go there to see computer related entertainment and banter. It doesn’t try to hide that, it’s naked, blatant tomfoolery with some info sprinkled in.

Clutching pearls that he reviewed a laptop after saying he shouldn’t because he owns a tiny stake in a company that makes laptops is just being outraged to be outraged.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GutBomb posted:

It’s been clear for years that LTT is an entertainment program. It’s top gear for computer poo poo. You don’t go to top gear for serious reviews of car stuff. You go there to see car related entertainment and banter. You don’t go to LTT for serious reviews, you go there to see computer related entertainment and banter. It doesn’t try to hide that, it’s naked, blatant tomfoolery with some info sprinkled in.

Clutching pearls that he reviewed a laptop after saying he shouldn’t because he owns a tiny stake in a company that makes laptops is just being outraged to be outraged.

A defense used by Top Gear, Fox News, and Alex Jones. Great company to put LTT in my dude. I hope that Linus is more insulted by your post than mine.

I'm not particularly outraged because I never cared about LTT very much myself. But there are clearly plenty of people who do and go to them for reviews, including CoolCab up there. And the video says "Microsoft Surface Studio Review" in the title, not "Watch us gently caress around and destroy a Surface".

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

K8.0 posted:

Yeah, so if you want to be told how to use your hardware and software with virtually no customization options exposed, then Apple makes stuff for you. You'd also be right to observe that they sell a ton of devices.

I like it when my devices let me do things though, and 'detrimental customization' is only detrimental when you prefer being told what you can do, and how you can do it. The idea of modular IO is honestly enough for me to seriously consider a Framework device.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Sorry but that’s a bullshit cop out. See the Alex Jones comment.

Waving away ethical concerns with “no one in their right mind would believe this is objective” is how we have sandy hook denial, anti-vax, election fraud garbage, etc etc.

The general populous is very clearly too stupid for this to be an acceptable defense.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Waving away ethical concerns with “no one in their right mind would believe this is objective” is how we have sandy hook denial, anti-vax, election fraud garbage, etc etc.

The general populous is very clearly too stupid for this to be an acceptable defense.
Comparing "he roughed up a laptop" to people spouting race war poo poo is a pretty flippant attitude to have toward the latter

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
y'all are giving off very heavy 'ethics in video game journalism' vibes about people on youtube and should probably shut the gently caress up about it or at the very least watch something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I’ll keep that in mind when LTT starts covering topics more important than “is 165hz better than 144hz on my mineral oil cooled gaming rig”