Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

lolllll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
my new source of financial stress is learning that my 62 year old mother has as much in her retirement accounts as my 35 year old self

i am substantially ahead of most of my peer group but nowhere near ready to retire in a few years and if i were 62 years old right now i'd be making GBS threads myself

i guess i know where all that surplus computer toucher money i'm earning is going to go in the next few decades

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

raminasi posted:

my new source of financial stress is learning that my 62 year old mother has as much in her retirement accounts as my 35 year old self

i am substantially ahead of most of my peer group but nowhere near ready to retire in a few years and if i were 62 years old right now i'd be making GBS threads myself

i guess i know where all that surplus computer toucher money i'm earning is going to go in the next few decades

start thinking of a house with a dependent suite imo

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/gem_ste/status/1447482296727048192

this island is driving me insane

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

mediaphage posted:

start thinking of a house with a dependent suite imo

yeah the thought has definitely crossed my mind but we live on opposite coasts so that would be a rough road for at least one of us. if it's necessary, it's necessary, but ughhhh

the silver lining is that this might be the wakeup call my girlfriend needs to start paying attention to her long-term financial planning

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
good to hear you're fitting in

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

raminasi posted:

if you need to literally bribe her to wait on getting social security until "full retirement age" [66 or 67] do it, the difference is significant

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

raminasi posted:

your mom should do what mine did. marry a guy with money right as she's ready to retire

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

shocked to hear that head of NYC police association is a routine law breaker, and that the cops look the other way

https://twitter.com/placardabuse/status/1445578532499849222?t=VqOCtYrvFB_tAL5lVpFM3A&s=19

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

bump_fn posted:

this island is driving me insane

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
looks like the treasury overruled the state department and China isn’t doing a genocide anymore. someone has to buy all our debt.

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1447147267669037057?s=21

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

everything boomers talk about doing, like going to the moon or fighting the nazis, is something their parents did.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sagebrush posted:

everything boomers talk about doing, like going to the moon or fighting the nazis, is something their parents did.

taking credit for things where your involvement topped out at "watched it happen on tv" is a time-honored white american tradition, see: the civil rights movement

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

carry on then posted:

taking credit for things where your involvement topped out at "watched it happen on tv" is a time-honored white american tradition, see: the civil rights movement

There was some Rock Paper Shotgun article in the early 2010s that poo poo-talked on false nostalgia from the media, and I can't find it, but this is a similar take:
https://www.theawl.com/2010/12/false-nostalgia-how-vh1-ruined-the-taste-of-a-generation/
Boomers are like that except it's all from reruns of Happy Days and I Love Lucy (plus a poo poo load of lead toxicity)

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

it actually took me until college to realize that most peoples parents were not like my mom who was an ob/gyn who joined the peace corps in the 70s and delivered babies in vietnam/cambodia during/after the war and came home and eventually helped start a low income prenatal clinic at her hospital in america.

protesting and woodstock/music festivals are two things you can basically ignore any story from a boomer about if they are white.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my mom and her friends took food out to alcatraz when aim occupied it but I think it was mostly an excuse to get drunk/high on a boat

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

my mom and her friends took food out to alcatraz when aim occupied it but I think it was mostly an excuse to get drunk/high on a boat

tbf getting drunk on a boat is one of the main pillars of effective activism

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

https://twitter.com/joshdcaplan/status/1447993677561929735

Animal-Mother posted:

lmao

Trump will get reelected

amazing that they could have let Bernie take the blame for this and didn't see it

dems are going to get absolutely slaughtered in the midterms

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

what exactly will we not be able to get at christmas

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

should i start buying a 25lb bag of rice every time i go to costco now or something

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

sorry family, no sex arses this year

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

what exactly will we not be able to get at christmas

trinkets and baubles from china, mostly

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this christmas people will have to settle for gathering together with their family, sharing stories, eating wholesome traditional foods, and playing the games and sports of their childhood, like some kind of loving third-world shithole losers

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

black friday being cancelled because of shortages would be a great thing. thanksgiving is for collapsing on your relatives' floor while watching home alone in a food/wine coma, not preparing to be trampled by lunatics trying to get the two doorbuster laptops or save 8¢ on bath towels

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

where am i gonna get my god dammed gizmos!?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

this christmas people will have to settle for gathering together with their family, sharing stories, eating wholesome traditional foods, and playing the games and sports of their childhood, like some kind of loving third-world shithole losers

i'm probably going to literally die of loneliness but i'm okay with that, its time.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
posting on the fafafa far better hellworld page

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Bernie might’ve tried to do something about any of the problems, which democrats obviously believe is worse than the coming six years of guaranteed republican rule

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The_Franz posted:

black friday being cancelled because of shortages would be a great thing. thanksgiving is for collapsing on your relatives' floor while watching home alone in a food/wine coma, not preparing to be trampled by lunatics trying to get the two doorbuster laptops or save 8¢ on bath towels

agreed but planes, trains and automobiles.

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm probably going to literally die of loneliness but i'm okay with that, its time.

get a hinge account man. online dating is a grind but there actually are lots of nice ladies out there

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

get a hinge account man. there are lots of nice ladies out there

not my thing any more
and no grindr isnt either

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

The_Franz posted:

bingo. i usually head to my parents place watching high school football championship games while eating turkey sandwiches made on leftover dinner rolls, and getting too drunk.

i cant think of anything less appealing than going to the store.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

not my thing any more
there's no dating app to become peter pumpkinhead

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

get a hinge account man. online dating is a grind but there actually are lots of nice ladies out there

man here hinge is nothing but you-come-third-after-jesus-and-my-dog ladies and while I can respect puppers and to an extent the j-man I'm not getting up at the crack of lent every sunday to throw hail marys just so I can stop falling asleep alone every night

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

man here hinge is nothing but you-come-third-after-jesus-and-my-dog ladies
how can you tell jesus came and why is he down to get morally inept on a dog

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

man here hinge is nothing but you-come-third-after-jesus-and-my-dog ladies and while I can respect puppers and to an extent the j-man I'm not getting up at the crack of lent every sunday to throw hail marys just so I can stop falling asleep alone every night

dating apps each have their own bizarre little ecosystem, yeah

every site/app is predominantly Basic Bitches, but around here hinge leans slightly towards outdoorsy social justice nonprofit types and has overall the most normal people. bumble is where all the fintech and corporate lawyers and hr ladies go. okcupid if you want to join a polycule. tinder is 100% bots and instagram wannabe influencer thots looking for followers. i checked out plentyoffish once and it was just...dire. oof.

i assume from the women side it's the same. predominantly Fish Guys In Sunglasses everywhere, but each app with its own certain je-ne-sais-quoi

e: i realize this makes it sound like a jaded meat market and yeah. yeah it is. it's hard to keep your innocence and optimism sometimes.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 13, 2021

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
for sale, sex arse, lightly used

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bump_fn posted:

for sale, sex arse, lightly used

did you find a buyer yet?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jonny 290 posted:

not my thing any more

nobody thinks you’re gay don’t worry

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Just staving off the predictable comeback, my friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have been pondering some charity stuff this winter? idk. would be nice to do something thats not like packed in with a lot of ppl though. i've thought about soup kitchen stuff but might be a little too dense for my comfort