Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

etalian posted:

Any similar shows or movies for the survival game genre that people would reccomend?

A lot of people like to compare this to Alice in Borderland, but I haven't seen it myself yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Squid game is a very bloated and overcomplicated version with a bunch of silly rules and modes. Like the rules a literal group of children would make. Like the fact you 'die" instead of get out in one specific case, or that you become "inspectors" for no reason when you do something. The rules are tenuous. Instead of squares it's a bunch of wacky shapes, you hop on one foot, you get titles, you can "die", the rules of flimsy. A child wrote them.

I love this, sounds like the games I’d play as a kid where each street had different rules, or university where each version of a card game had different “aces are wild unless there’s a jack in play” cases. Just perfect for a version of kids games.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Squid game is a variation on another game, the real game is a set of squares drawn on the ground and people from outside have to run in and through the squares to the end while defenders try and like... block them or beat them up or push them back out. Like red rover basically.

Squid game is a very bloated and overcomplicated version with a bunch of silly rules and modes. Like the rules a literal group of children would make. Like the fact you 'die" instead of get out in one specific case, or that you become "inspectors" for no reason when you do something. The rules are tenuous. Instead of squares it's a bunch of wacky shapes, you hop on one foot, you get titles, you can "die", the rules of flimsy. A child wrote them.

Like the game DOES have rules, but the name of the show might be something like "calvinball" if it was an american show. squid game is a referance to a game with childlike nonsensical rules.
Holy gently caress how did I miss this?

Thank you.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It’s in the very first episodes opening.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Foehammer007 posted:

This was pretty good, what's some other K shows I should watch

I liked Itaewon Class (cheesy but has heart) and Extracurricular (quite suspenseful). I'm also curious about what others are worth checking out because there are so many on netflix now.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

etalian posted:

Any similar shows or movies for the survival game genre that people would reccomend?

Dunno if mentioning this sort of thing is kosher here but I'm pretty fond of Mirai Nikki (anime) and Danganronpa (visual novel).

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Chas McGill posted:

I liked Itaewon Class (cheesy but has heart) and Extracurricular (quite suspenseful). I'm also curious about what others are worth checking out because there are so many on netflix now.

I'll check these out thanks!

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Stranger and Signal are both good mystery police K dramas, to the point that my parents watched them unprompted.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

It’s in the very first episodes opening.
You should assume that the person who said they didn't understand it saw the scene and still had difficulty.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The Final Fantasy VII of foreign shows:

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1448045572200534022

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do I have to let's play it then
I don't wanna die to red light green light

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Can’t wait for a dozen new death game shows and movies to premiere next year

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

I mean theres already at least 4 other other death game shows on netflix right now so I think the snowball has been rolling for a long time.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

:sickos:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
A thing I found weird was that they could decide to vote to stop the game while a game was currently underway. While this wouldn't be an issue for most of the games since getting 50% of the players to agree would be hard

the 4th game, due to it's premise that 50% of the players would win and 50% would lose lends itself perfectly for this because players were able to see from miles away when they were close to losing (ie. having only 1 marble left) and with the 30 minute time limit they could just decide to stall till more people reach that same situation and then call off a vote to stop the games. Since due to lack of information people paired up with people who they trusted/formed a bond with, it would be easy to get the few additional votes needed from the players that were winning (for example from the husband-wife pair, or from Saeng-wo and the other girl) to stop the game right there

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

lezard_valeth posted:

A thing I found weird was that they could decide to vote to stop the game while a game was currently underway. While this wouldn't be an issue for most of the games since getting 50% of the players to agree would be hard

the 4th game, due to it's premise that 50% of the players would win and 50% would lose lends itself perfectly for this because players were able to see from miles away when they were close to losing (ie. having only 1 marble left) and with the 30 minute time limit they could just decide to stall till more people reach that same situation and then call off a vote to stop the games. Since due to lack of information people paired up with people who they trusted/formed a bond with, it would be easy to get the few additional votes needed from the players that were winning (for example from the husband-wife pair, or from Saeng-wo and the other girl) to stop the game right there

I don’t get your logic about people on winning teams wanting to vote to end the games

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

I don’t get your logic about people on winning teams wanting to vote to end the games

They're saying that since you need 50% +1 to end the game, you only need one person who would otherwise win to vote with the losers. Since there were a handful of teams where the winner desperately wanted not to kill their partner, it's likely they could get that one extra vote.

That said I really don't think it would've been practical for them to pull it off even if they'd thought of it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Correct me if I’m wrong but I think everyone who liked each other was on teams together, so nobody would have been motivated to vote to end the game while they were on a winning team…?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think everyone who liked each other was on teams together, so nobody would have been motivated to vote to end the game while they were on a winning team…?

During the marble game? Where you had to kill the person you were closest to? What's the confusion here?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh sorry I thought we were talking about tug of war

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

lezard_valeth posted:

One of the rules is that once a game starts, it must be played to completion. But they can vote to stop any time not in game.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

OnlyBans posted:

One of the rules is that once a game starts, it must be played to completion. But they can vote to stop any time not in game.
I think they would have allowed a stoppage in the 6th game

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Steve Yun posted:

It's a genre that leads to some amazingly convoluted garbage. It's going to be great

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
show was good 60% because the core contestant cast was just good drama acting that carried itself despite the language barrier, 30% well-shot, striking visuals (how can you disagree with a bunch of mooks in pink coveralls and playstation controller masks), and 10% relatable anti-capitalist plot stuff. the interactions between contestants were far more compelling than the games themselves, with the games just serving as a looming scary (but still stylish!) thing to drive those interactions

i feel that's why the cop subplot and VIPs have gotten so much ire. the cop has fuckall drama himself because his interactions are entirely texting/calling people we never meet and moments with faceless mooks (which are fine for worldbuilding but not particularly dramatic) until the revelation about the frontman being his brother, which kinda feels like exposition from nowhere to flesh out backstory without any payoff--he's so disconnected from anyone else that matters that he just feels like filler. kinda hot but idgaf about his story.

the VIPs are a horrid combination of not interacting with any of the characters the previous episodes spent time building up and seriously godawful acting. their scenes seriously feel like random footage cut into the show for god knows what reason. the cop could at least act and served as a window into the mooks' experiences, whereas the VIPs i honestly couldn't tell if they were in the same show or just footage of dudes in masks that someone found in a bin.

core of the show more than made up for the weak points though, so whatever

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ymgve posted:

I'm glad I didn't really have to understand the rules of the squid game, because I couldn't follow those at all.

They didn't really matter to the show anyway. The Squid Game at the end is just a fight to the death :lol:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Steve Yun posted:

There is probably a hollywood remake in the works as we speak.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Yeah ok I can see why so many people died

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Shneak posted:

This was a fun show for the first six episodes and then gets unbearable as soon as the English VIPs show up. I get the voyeurism theme but they just took me out of it. It didn't really stick the landing either. drat Gi-hun, go be a good dad for a second.

I still don't understand the squid game's (the actual children's game) rules despite it being explained twice but I would've picked umbrella so I would've died anyway.

I realize I'm late to the squidward games discussion, but the VIPs reinforce what I suspect was the meta-ness theme about us, the viewer

In effect, we are also VIPs
By watching the games and poor people dying in these cruel and bizarre , we're doing the same thing the VIPs are doing, we're exploiting the most vulnerable and poor in a society for our own entertainment. Their pain and drama is just entertainmen to us, just as it is to the western VIP assholes. If this was released episodically there'd been people taking guesses online on deathpools and who would win or die just like the rich people are doing (just minus the betting)

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i would have preferred the VIPs have incredible acting and intelligent witty banter that garners some sympathy from the viewer for their plight

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They didn't really matter to the show anyway. The Squid Game at the end is just a fight to the death :lol:

456 crossed the middle so he could use both feet and was in a position to win legitimately according to the rules :colbert:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

McCloud posted:

I realize I'm late to the squidward games discussion, but the VIPs reinforce what I suspect was the meta-ness theme about us, the viewer

In effect, we are also VIPs
By watching the games and poor people dying in these cruel and bizarre , we're doing the same thing the VIPs are doing, we're exploiting the most vulnerable and poor in a society for our own entertainment. Their pain and drama is just entertainmen to us, just as it is to the western VIP assholes. If this was released episodically there'd been people taking guesses online on deathpools and who would win or die just like the rich people are doing (just minus the betting)

The major difference is that it's not real, nobody actually dies. The closest comparison one could make is sports where there are a large amount of injuries, like boxing and football, but even then it's not a good comparison because people don't want the contestant to die even in those.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Probably more apt to say that many of the people watching the show who live comfortable lifestyles (I know this isn’t everyone) is “absorbing” a message about how unfair life is so those struggling, yet don’t do anything about it. Not quite as an affront as the VIPs endorsing it , but in the same vein as being a spectator to “yea wow the world is ducked up for those people” and not doing anything about those is the same position in our real world (hence the last game with the old man and the person on the street )

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

started watching squid game last night and loving :laffo: at the amount of easily-identifiable stock sounds that've been ruined by overuse in zoomer memes
some of them are on the same level as the inception noise in terms of recognizability i s2g

show's good tho

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1448269356987817990

He's not wrong.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

hbag posted:

started watching squid game last night and loving :laffo: at the amount of easily-identifiable stock sounds that've been ruined by overuse in zoomer memes
some of them are on the same level as the inception noise in terms of recognizability i s2g

show's good tho

Maybe don't look at so many zoomer memes.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Tagichatn posted:

Maybe don't look at so many zoomer memes.

im 19 thats like asking me to not breathe

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I love when the inexplicable teen reveale themselves on these anciente forummes.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

the VIPs are a horrid combination of not interacting with any of the characters the previous episodes spent time building up and seriously godawful acting. their scenes seriously feel like random footage cut into the show for god knows what reason. the cop could at least act and served as a window into the mooks' experiences, whereas the VIPs i honestly couldn't tell if they were in the same show or just footage of dudes in masks that someone found in a bin.

Idk, given the theme of the show, this complaint just makes it sound like a good thing. The ultra-wealthy IRL have a hard time behaving human and it's entirely unclear why the rest of civilization must suffer to their benefit, like, why did we even make them, why are they here, why haven't we thrown them out, why are they so awkward, why cant they convincibly act human?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

:psyduck:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Do people not understand that flights from Seoul to L.A. are nearly twenty hours one way, and that the next Squid game beings the next morning?

Thus he can't see his daughter and participate in the games at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
He's rich enough to hire a proxy!!