Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.

Paddyo posted:

Someone earlier said Thin Air is basically Dark Matter in the mountains, which tbh sounds pretty cool.

It was me and yeah it’s very good just give it some space between the two since they’re really really similar. I have wakenhurst but haven’t gotten around to it yet

Those Across the River is… weird. I didn’t really enjoy reading it much but I’ve thought about the big horror scene maybe once a year so it definitely left an impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Need some good space horror. Preferably some "ancient civilization" Ghosts of Mars type stuff, but I'll take some Event Horizon

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Retro Futurist posted:

Need some good space horror. Preferably some "ancient civilization" Ghosts of Mars type stuff, but I'll take some Event Horizon

Sadly there seem to be a lot more video games like this than books.

The Void by Brett Talley kind of scratches this itch, but it's also a bit amateurish.

Mary Sangiovanni's Hollower trilogy gets into it just a little bit.

Ship of Fools by Richard Paul Russo is very good and gets recommended quite often in here.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah Ship of Fools/Unto Leviathan was the first thing that came to mind. Blindsight by Peter Watts definitely hits some of those notes. I haven't read them, but there are actually some Dead Space novelizations that were written by noted horror & weird fiction author Brian Evenson (as BK Evenson) and knowing Dead Space media in general, they likely lean hard into that style of sci-fi horror.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Retro Futurist posted:

If you’re ok with a book that kinda whiffs it in the last couple pages the Hematophages is a pretty good mix of Event Horizon/The Thing

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Ornamented Death posted:

Ship of Fools by Richard Paul Russo is very good and gets recommended quite often in here.

I forgot, I read that on the advice of this thread, and it was really good! Makes me sad Richard Paul Russo isn't more popular / didn't do more in this genre.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Good Citizen posted:

If you’re ok with a book that kinda whiffs it in the last couple pages the Hematophages is a pretty good mix of Event Horizon/The Thing

Hey, I'm a horror fan, ain't I?

I'd also be ok with stuff that isn't strictly space but meets the vibe, like The Deep or Sphere

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Just since it kind if came up, the novela that The Thing is based on, Who Goes There?, is pretty dang good if I recall.

Short, punchy, and available for free since it’s old, so if you ain’t read it already it’s probably worth the short amount of time it takes to read.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

I haven't read it yet myself but The Hematophages by Stephen Kozeniewski has been recommended a few times in this thread.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Just since it kind if came up, the novela that The Thing is based on, Who Goes There?, is pretty dang good if I recall.

Short, punchy, and available for free since it’s old, so if you ain’t read it already it’s probably worth the short amount of time it takes to read.

Ehh I found it cheesy and dated but in an entirely entertaining way. There's a large amount of very erudite scientific men thinking analytically through solutions to the nuisance of an alien copycat, which was quaint but basically devoid of tension IMO. I thought it was honestly kind of a strange book to read, though I don't regret taking the time.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I’m okay with some dated campy stuff if I know it going in.

Of course I also might be grading it on a curve since I read it 20 years ago and it’s you know, free.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I read it last year and enjoyed it. I'd put it firmly in the camp of pulp sci fi with a horror bent. It read almost more like a particularly dated Twilight Zone than The Thing. But it's possible that it would hit differently if you're not as familiar with (or as attached to) the movie as I am.

I'd say it's a solid Halloween read, with the caveat that it's unlikely to scare your socks off.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
It was also cut down from a larger novel called frozen hell, which I think I heard about itt. Wanna know how THAT turned out

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

It was also cut down from a larger novel called frozen hell, which I think I heard about itt. Wanna know how THAT turned out

Oh poo poo, I forgot this was what I read, not just the original novella. I'm willing to bet that a lot of the less necessary stuff and pacing issues were probably due to the restored parts of the book, honestly. I remember when I finished it, thinking that cutting it down to a novella probably wasn't just a publishing decision, it was likely a quality decision too. That said I don't think Frozen Hell is actually substantially longer than Who Goes There? as a lot of the material in the KS release was art, notes, prefaces or articles from other writers, etc. It was kind of a silly KS in general, honestly.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Got us a psychological horror book for the Book of the Month, Shirley Jackson's We Have Always Lived in the Castle. Come read it with us ITT!

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Retro Futurist posted:

Alistair Reynolds's Revelation Space series hits a lot of these notes, but it's more scifi than horror. His short fiction often hits a bit closer to horror, especially stuff like Diamond Dogs and Beyond the Aquila Rift.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Is that what the Love, Death, and Robots episode was based on? Because it was awesome.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Paddyo posted:

Is that what the Love, Death, and Robots episode was based on? Because it was awesome.

Yep. Damned fine story, damned fine adaptation.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

a foolish pianist posted:

Alistair Reynolds's Revelation Space series hits a lot of these notes, but it's more scifi than horror. His short fiction often hits a bit closer to horror, especially stuff like Diamond Dogs and Beyond the Aquila Rift.

Checked that out and it sounds neat. I’m trying to branch out from horror anyway so I’ll check it out

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Weirdly enough, Bundle of Holding (which normally does tabletop RPGs) is having a horror bundle from Night Shade books. I don't know how good these anthologies are, but it's probably worth a look for people in this thread: https://bundleofholding.com/presents/BestHorror

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Retro Futurist posted:

Been thinking about it and realized I'm basically looking for Dead Space. Has anyone read any of the novels based off it and are any good?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Retro Futurist posted:

Been thinking about it and realized I'm basically looking for Dead Space. Has anyone read any of the novels based off it and are any good?

They're written by Brian Evenson who is pretty good, so they might be worth a shot at least.

e:

GrandpaPants posted:

Weirdly enough, Bundle of Holding (which normally does tabletop RPGs) is having a horror bundle from Night Shade books. I don't know how good these anthologies are, but it's probably worth a look for people in this thread: https://bundleofholding.com/presents/BestHorror

I've read a couple of these anthologies and they've been pretty drat good.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 6, 2021

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

GrandpaPants posted:

Ellen Datlow is a legendary horror editor. These are fantastic anthologies.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Those Datlow collections have so many of my favorite authors in one book. It's a great way to discover short story writers. Evenson, Barron, Langan, and so many more.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Has anyone here read the Three Body Problem? I've had it pop up on recommendations as kind of a Lovecraftian SciFi horror.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

GrandpaPants posted:

Yoink. Thanks for pointing this out!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Paddyo posted:

Has anyone here read the Three Body Problem? I've had it pop up on recommendations as kind of a Lovecraftian SciFi horror.

It's horror only in the loosest sense, basically in the same way that some select Ted Chiang or tamer Harlan Ellison stories could generously be called "horror." I personally didn't like it because I thought the prose was dry as a desert and big sections of it were just powerfully boring to me, but even setting that aside, I think if you went in expecting horror you'd be 90% disappointed and maybe 10% intrigued by some clever ideas about aliens.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Paddyo posted:

Can I reverse recommend? I found it to be a pretty unpleasant and boring read. The various pieces of the alien puzzle just didn't come together for me and it was pretty unconvincing.

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020
Has anyone here read Jon Padgett's The Secret of Ventriloquism? If so, is it worth checking out?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ragle Gumm posted:

Has anyone here read Jon Padgett's The Secret of Ventriloquism? If so, is it worth checking out?

It's a very solid collection if you're in to more subdued, quiet horror.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Paddyo posted:

I liked it! Not really horror, but I loved how the story unfolded like a puzzle, one of those books that gave me a little thrill as I pieced together what was going on.

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020

Ornamented Death posted:

It's a very solid collection if you're in to more subdued, quiet horror.

Neat, that sounds promising.

How heavily does Padgett borrow from Ligotti? (I guess my concern is that this collection might feel a little derivative.)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ragle Gumm posted:

Neat, that sounds promising.

How heavily does Padgett borrow from Ligotti? (I guess my concern is that this collection might feel a little derivative.)

Not very much as I recall. I mean there's some tonal overlap I guess, but Padgett is doing his own thing.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Can I get recommendations for good horror with images of cannibalism? I’m running an RPG with that as a central theme, and I find it easiest to do that by just filling my brain with stuff to steal from. I’ve read a bunch already but feel free to give obvious ones too cause maybe I missed obvious stuff. Extra bonus if I can get it cheap and digitally cause the game is in two weeks so I don’t want to wait too long.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Xiahou Dun posted:

Can I get recommendations for good horror with images of cannibalism? I’m running an RPG with that as a central theme, and I find it easiest to do that by just filling my brain with stuff to steal from. I’ve read a bunch already but feel free to give obvious ones too cause maybe I missed obvious stuff. Extra bonus if I can get it cheap and digitally cause the game is in two weeks so I don’t want to wait too long.

Just some stuff I read in the last year or so they're relatively fresh on my mind. Apologies if I'm misremembering anything. All of these were kindle books. I'll indicate if I got them on unlimited.

Primitive by J.F. Gonzalez - Most of humanity suddenly devolves into aggressive savages. A group of survivors attempts to flee to the countryside. There's some influence behind the scenes from an ancient neanderthal god/demon. Maybe more semi-smart zombie-ish than cannibal tribe-ish?

The Devil Next Door by Tim Curran - Similar concept as Primitive with the devolving, but a tighter focus and much more visceral. The people who regress remain being characters with chapters from their perspective. Probably my favorite of these three but pretty graphic (Unlimited)

Castaways by Brian Keene - Missing link cannibal tribe on an island that one of those survivor-like shows decided to film on. Absolute schlock and pretty rapey in the last quarter or so but lots of cannibal tribe action once things kick off.

That's me interpreting your request as tribal cannibal stuff. If you just want graphic depictions of people eating other people there's always stuff like Off Season by Jack Ketchum or Succulent Prey by Wrath James White.

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 13, 2021

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020

Ornamented Death posted:

Not very much as I recall. I mean there's some tonal overlap I guess, but Padgett is doing his own thing.

Thanks for this; just picked up a copy.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Paddyo posted:

It's legit my favorite horror in years. The degree and realism of how everyone is hosed has a way different feel than a lot of other horror out there, and yet at times still manages to strike a lot of the same notes.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

Last Days by Brian Evenson is focused on a cult that worships amputation but I don't think that's too much of a leap in terms of body horror.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Been reading so many horror novels from Valancourt Press in celebration of the spooky month…currently onto the main event, Michael McDowell’s “Cold Moon Over Babylon.” About one hundred pages in and it is, characteristically, spectacular. It is simply a joy to read McDowell’s prose. He was so gifted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Paddyo posted:

I don’t know that I’d call it “Lovecraftian”, there are threats and they are alien but they are ultimately knowable, lol. It’s very much hard-as-hell Sci Fi, super interested in the mechanics and science of space travel, expansion, and civilization.

All of that being said, it is, at times, supremely horrifying. I love that series dearly, it’s one of my all time favorites and I highly recommend it. Just think “Lovecraftian” is a bit off as a descriptor.