Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Hawkperson posted:

Well now I really want to know too, is it something you can share?

Nope. It's industry stuff that's not mine to know. Nothing like a sex pest though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

nate fisher posted:

Check out Halt & Catch Fire. Some people didn't like the first season (I did), but I do agree it gets better with every season. It is top tier to me. Does The Crown reach that level of being one of the all-time greats? It might be for me after thinking about it.

Also we all agree one offs are great like Haunting of Hill House and Chernobyl. Still comparing them to a show with 6 seasons is little like cheating. Lets see you repeat that another 40 episodes or so. I think limited series deserve their own category if voted on. If we did an all-time list for that my guess be Band of Brothers would win.

I know it is all subjective. I think The Sopranos is for sure in my current top 3 (with The Wire and Mad Men), but someone else likes Good Wife over The Sopranos which is hell of a hot take to me. It is my fear into my 40's I have become the unhip person who thinks everything was better back in the day. That said my 21 year old son did say to me after the Whitecaps episode of The Sopranos that he sees why this is considered one of the greatest shows of all-time. All he could talk about was the acting (especially Edie Falco) and how real it felt. So who knows.

I think a lot of art/ (books/tv/film) is portrayed through the lens of white usually male vision. Not that anyone in this thread is or isn't that, but in terms of what gets talked about holds the cultural zeitgeist. I bring up the Good Wife because it is of an extremely high quality but because of the subject matter what network it was on/(lawyers/CBS) is often rejected, even though it often critiqued those same cultural zeitgeists better than anything that zeitgeist would deem as "the best". I would not put it as my favorite show, but in terms of overall quality, I think there's a good argument it's right up there with the other shows mentioned.

Of course Breaking Bad too, but that's very much a cultural Zeitgeist approved show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LionArcher posted:

Nope. It's industry stuff that's not mine to know. Nothing like a sex pest though.

I wouldn't be surprised if Alex Hirsch has a reputation for being "difficult" tbh. Anyone who fights with their producers tends to get labelled that way.

drat difficult people putting gay characters in their kids shows.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There seems to be a lot of trouble with labor rights with animated shows. I know there was a shitstorm a few years ago with Rooster Teeth cartoons.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I had this thought earlier, but there was a concentration of talent in the early Aughts. Its kinda crazy to think that Terence Winter, David Chase, and Matt Weiner all worked on the same show.

Hard to find something like that now.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
HCF is really good, has a bomb intro, and lots of Lee Pace. Can’t go wrong.

Shageletic posted:

I had this thought earlier, but there was a concentration of talent in the early Aughts. Its kinda crazy to think that Terence Winter, David Chase, and Matt Weiner all worked on the same show.

Hard to find something like that now.

It’s kind of like having a speaking role in Saving Private Ryan: if you had a writers or producers job in one of the few, universally acclaimed shows back then your ticket was made.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It’s kind of like having a speaking role in Saving Private Ryan: if you had a writers or producers job in one of the few, universally acclaimed shows back then your ticket was made.

Law & Order launched so many careers, it's insane.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
"Only Boomers like Mad Men" is one spicy take, I have to say. Well done.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Timby posted:

Law & Order launched so many careers, it's insane.

It was actually something of a tragedy when vanilla ended: "The Victim" was a reliable role for extras that was never cut from an episode. You were guaranteed to make it into the credits.

I know someone who used to do that kind of work. She'd be an unnamed detective handing papers to Stabler on SVU or Dancing Girl #4 in an episode of Girls and poo poo like that. It's the kind of stuff that launches careers if you have a little luck, because even if you don't have a speaking role you usually get to shoot the poo poo with the cast while filming.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Speaking of prestige tv anyone else remember on Mad Men when a dude got his leg amputated by a lawnmower and it was hysterical

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

never forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9BzSdKvbAQ

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

God I wish there was a longer version of the cover Halt and Catch Fire used as their credits music.

Laterite posted:

"Only Boomers like Mad Men" is one spicy take, I have to say. Well done.

Sure, but I think the point about audiences aging out is a legitimate one. I Claudius was once considered one of the best shows of all time, but it's also of its time. I'm not criticising its stageyness or whatever, more my point is that the kinds of people who know about it and recommend it, gave aged out of influential conversational circles. The same thing will happen to The Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men, just as it happened to The Singing Detective, Tenko, Berlin Alexandreplatz, Cracker... It's a question of when, not if.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I just finished Invincible, and now I want a Damien Darkblood - Demon Detective spin-off. And don't tell me to watch Lucifer; I want a big honking demon with a fedora, not some rear end in a top hat who happens to be the devil.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hellboy has the same trench coat

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Wu Wednesday continues to deliver. This show doesn't get much attention but it's awesome if you ever gave a poo poo about 90s hip hop. I just wonder where they're going with everything since I've never really heard about any drama within the group after they made it big so I'm wondering where the conflict/drama will come from. To be clear, I'm not saying there never was any drama or whatever within them, just that I've never heard about it.

I'd still be down to watch these guys just carry on even if there's no specific dramatic event. Some of them are still pretty background compared to the main characters so there's room for growth there. Or there's just the jump from being an underground movement to mainstream headliner that's bound to create some conflict between different people.

Whatever the case, the series has been great so far even if S1 was kind of a slower burn.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Open Source Idiom posted:

God I wish there was a longer version of the cover Halt and Catch Fire used as their credits music.

Sure, but I think the point about audiences aging out is a legitimate one. I Claudius was once considered one of the best shows of all time, but it's also of its time. I'm not criticising its stageyness or whatever, more my point is that the kinds of people who know about it and recommend it, gave aged out of influential conversational circles. The same thing will happen to The Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men, just as it happened to The Singing Detective, Tenko, Berlin Alexandreplatz, Cracker... It's a question of when, not if.

Classics are classics for a reason. If they didn't click with human nature to begin with, they wouldn't have become popular. I Claudius might be seen as having low production values vs poo poo today, but if you're consuming media made 40-50 years ago expecting modern standards you're setting yourself up for disappointment. There are plenty of tv shows that have outlasted the medium that existed at the time; just look at the crazy commercial tie-ins for the Beverly Hillbillies - cigarettes, those new fangled supermarkets, poo poo like that. That said, I watch plenty of 'tv' and I have zero ideas on what will be considered the GEMS of the 2020's era of television. I'm including streaming video as television since its still the thing you point all your furniture at to be entertained by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEx44ETP8Ac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yi7B-bSwy4

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpbC72kXOsc

Having listened to the original podcast I am definitely intrigued although I am a bit uncomfortable with the fact that they are making this while all the major players are still alive. I wonder how Marty feels about Will Ferrell playing out an apparently magnified personification of his former lack of assertiveness.

Paul Rudd seems to be utterly nailing it, though.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Oct 13, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
https://deadline.com/2021/10/system...ios-1234854806/

Yeah, a System Shock show will definitely happen. Sure. This isn't some sort of weird random stab in the dark by a struggling games studio and a nascent streaming platform At All.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 13, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

https://deadline.com/2021/10/system...ios-1234854806/

Yeah, a System Shock show will definitely happy. Sure. This isn't some sort of weird random stab in the dark by a struggling games studio and a nascent streaming platform At All.

If this ever gets beyond the project stage it's going to suck. I can think of no premise more hostile to adaptation into TV than the original System Shock.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's rad to have a TV show where there's only one person the entire time crawling through an abandoned infested space station.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
I feel like you could do something with SS2. Have an Event Horizon/Aliens-style set-up where Citadel Station has gone dark so a team is sent to investigate. It's a mixed team of scientists and engineers/hackers from TriOptimum and UN soldiers. Once they get in range they are contacted by a survivor (Polito) who tells them about genetic experiments gone wrong. Since TriOptimum is a private corporation there is some fudging with who the experimental AI with the UN POV characters thinking it is XERXES until the reveal about 1/3rd of the way through the 1st season (or the finale of S1 if they want to draw it out but I feel sooner is better). From there you have shifting alliances of UN vs SHODAN vs THE MANY. From there you have plenty of plotlines to pick from. Maybe go a little Earth 2 and have them encounter the HACKER or some other small pocket of survivors if the cast gets lean due to deaths.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I just realized with the strike probably happening Monday that they may not be done filming the last of us season 1…

Ugh.

(Totally good with them striking but of all TV that’s not done filming that was the one I was really pumped for… and stranger things season 4 but we know that’s been filmed).

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
An enterprising chap did a fake screen test for a theoretical Robin Williams biopic and it's pretty uncanny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-kOy4s_Z0M

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Oh poo poo Jamie Costa is so talented. He did a young Han Solo years ago that was much better than the official one.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRCMPMGDN00

Hell yea

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just went through all of Curb for the first time last year so I'm excited for more!

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I think the thing that is going to change that is streaming. Being able to actually access old shows instead of hearing vague "oh yeah it's the best show ever!" And then...idk waiting to see if it shows up on tv sometime? Scrounging for vhs tapes? Look at the recent Columbo resurgence, or even Bob Ross, there are definitely things that ARE timeless to some degree, and just need the opportunity to be rediscovered by a new generation. Importantly, shows are finally actually being licensed to be accessible, so you don't get that Daria/Beavis and Butt-Head/supernatural s1 nonsense where the music rights bullshit could cause you never see the show again. The most popular of those get it sorted out one way or another, but I'm STILL waiting for a way to watch Homicide: Life on the Street.

We are in a very strange time period where we can reasonably expect the vast majority of media we grew up with to still be easily accessible throughout our lifetimes (barring some unforseen gigantic disaster).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

First saw this news a while back but didn't have any solid confirmation but they've cast the leads of AMC's Interview with a Vampire series. Louis (the titular vampire) is being played by Jacob Anderson who most people will probably know as Grey Worm from Game of Thrones while Lestat will be played by Australian actor Sam Reid.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Azhais posted:

An enterprising chap did a fake screen test for a theoretical Robin Williams biopic and it's pretty uncanny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-kOy4s_Z0M
said like gary oldman in leon - hairier... HAIIIRRRRRIIIIEEEEEEEEEER!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
This reminds me, I need to rewatch Toys.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

muscles like this! posted:

First saw this news a while back but didn't have any solid confirmation but they've cast the leads of AMC's Interview with a Vampire series. Louis (the titular vampire) is being played by Jacob Anderson who most people will probably know as Grey Worm from Game of Thrones while Lestat will be played by Australian actor Sam Reid.

Honestly I just want it to be super gay, that's the only thing I care about in a current Interview with the Vampire series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If they aren't super gay that would just be a bad adaptation.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
is anne rice still super christian

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's a new Hulu show called Dopesick starring Michael Keaton, Rosario Dawson, Michael Stuhlbarg, and Peter Sarsgaard. But it looks depressing as hell since it's about Oxycontin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzrLrUG2QVk

First three episodes are already out and reviews are good.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Qmass posted:

said like gary oldman in leon - hairier... HAIIIRRRRRIIIIEEEEEEEEEER!

He’s doing an impression. A good one, but I wouldn’t watch a two hour movie of this and the writing of the scene is both gross and feels like a bad parody on SNL.

Also people sending this clip to his daughter is super loving gross bad taste. Like what the gently caress people.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

muscles like this! posted:

I was trying to remember who played Lestat in the original movie and laughed because I must have blocked Tom Cruise out of my mind subconsciously there

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Chucky was, predictably, fantastic. Love that Mancini still loves dePalma.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

LionArcher posted:

Also people sending this clip to his daughter is super loving gross bad taste. Like what the gently caress people.

I first heard about this because Zelda tweeted that people kept sending it to her and it was upsetting her. So that kind of soured the video for me.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

LionArcher posted:

Why the gently caress do famous people still have social media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Seriously, how is Mackenzie Scott the only rich person in the world who figured that out