Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Volte posted:

I thought Veth was a way more interesting character than Scanlan and Yasha's only problem is that Ashley wasn't around more to develop her (I think she came into her own after Blindspot ended anyway). Pike was kind of a nothing character who only had really one episode of her own. Beau and Keyleth are kind of on even footing to me as characters. Caleb and Vax are both Liam, what can I say. Jester is better than Vex no question. Fjord is really the only weak link in C2 I think, and mainly because Travis decided to throw his character arc into a lava pit (which wasn't a bad decision, but it kind of left a void in his plot).
Pike and Yasha had some similar issues, namely frequent absences and Ashley's passivity, but where Pike comes out ahead, and what made her feel more active is that she was easier for others to bounce off of. She wasn't as gloomy, she had a strong connection with Grog and Scanlan, was considered the best person in the group, and as the cleric she was often essential. If nothing else the flashcards scene gives her the edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Nothing pike did in all of c1 was half as fun as Yasha loving with Nott/Veth or her dates with Beau.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nothing pike did in all of c1 was half as fun as Yasha loving with Nott/Veth or her dates with Beau.

The only time Pike was vaguely interesting was in the first couple episodes where she got dinged for being overly bloodthirsty.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Vando posted:

C2 somehow managed to be both full of overarching plot threads and also never feel like anything properly tied together. The whole Cognouza/Lucien thing felt like it just sprang up out of the ground (ha) as a final boss arc, and the individual character arcs felt incredibly abrupt in their resolution (either by suddenly being wrapped up in the last few episodes GoT style, or by reaching semi-solid endpoints earlier in the campaign but never revisiting any consequences of that).

It wasn't *bad*, and the whole thing at least made sense as a story once you lined it all up, but it felt bumpy and unsatisfying as a narrative journey towards the end.

C2 saw Matt design thematically: the M9 kept running into "hungry" things and things that were trapped and wanted to escape and things that not what they appeared to be, and things that were changing in positive ways or creepy ones. C1 was more straightforward and more "on rails" in terms of what the PCs needed to be doing. Both had their share of the players spinning their wheels in various ways.

Exandria Unlimited S1 showed us an even more diffuse plot across a smaller story, where what was going on never seemed to cohere in-game.

Some people enjoy the character interplay and PC arcs more, others prefer the big plotline. C2 would have been a failure if they'd simply tried to replicate C1, and some of the things that some people see as failures in C2, others see as successes (and vice versa).

Personally, I was more interested to see how things like Caleb's character arc turned out, because those were things influenced by the campaign plot but ultimately centered on PC interactions. C1 there was never a risk of the PCs working for the Chroma Conclave or cutting a deal with Vecna, though Matt dangled some possibilities. C2 always felt inches from disaster.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Narsham posted:

Personally, I was more interested to see how things like Caleb's character arc turned out, because those were things influenced by the campaign plot but ultimately centered on PC interactions. C1 there was never a risk of the PCs working for the Chroma Conclave or cutting a deal with Vecna, though Matt dangled some possibilities. C2 always felt inches from disaster.

Yeah, this was definitely a big positive for me. Caleb's arc was very much in the foreground for much of the latter half of the campaign and the things we learned from it were main-plot relevant throughout, as well as introducing interesting decisions in the run up to the climactic battle.

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
I think I liked C1's story, structure and pacing more, but I liked C2's characters, banter and general vibe more. (Though I can't be the only one who wasn't always charmed by Jester, right?) Overall favorite story arc has to be Briarwoods.

I'm amazed at Travis's ability to perfectly perform as both the comedian and the straight man in a comedy duo.

In any case I hope Liam plays a less morose character for campaign 3. When I first stared watching Vax was actually my favorite in the earliest episodes because he was very chipper and jokey. I liked what he did with Caleb, he was kind of a reverse Vax in that he started morose and gradually got better, and I loved the occasional dry humor. Still, I'd love to see Liam play a more lighthearted character.

FlavoFibe fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 12, 2021

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

FlavoFibe posted:

I think I liked C1's story, structure and pacing more, but I liked C2's characters, banter and general vibe more. (Though I can't be the only one who wasn't always charmed by Jester, right?) Overall favorite story arc has to be Briarwoods.

I'm amazed at Travis's ability to perfectly perform as both the comedian and the straight man in a comedy duo.

In any case I hope Liam plays a less morose character for campaign 3. When I first stared watching Vax was actually my favorite in the earliest episodes because he was very chipper and jokey. I liked what he did with Caleb, he was kind of a reverse Vax in that he started morose and gradually got better, and I loved the occasional dry humor. Still, I'd love to see Liam play a more lighthearted character.

I dunno if he was kidding or not, or if he'll stick to it even if he was serious, but in one episode of Talks he said he planned for his next character to be a lighthearted halfling fighter with no backstory whatsoever. So....maybe? :shrug:

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
I hope so, that would be a nice change of pace. Someone hit the nail on the head earlier back in the thread when they said that pretty much everyone made characters with a backstory that would come back to haunt them, like Percy's. I'd like to see less of that for the next campaign, I think it would make it easier for Matt to tie things neatly together if he had fewer ends.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

jng2058 posted:

I dunno if he was kidding or not, or if he'll stick to it even if he was serious, but in one episode of Talks he said he planned for his next character to be a lighthearted halfling fighter with no backstory whatsoever. So....maybe? :shrug:

Isn’t that his ExU character?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

jng2058 posted:

It's funny because this is essentially his Exandria Unlimited character, clearly a departure for him that ended up having to sort of play the serious party leader because of the pure chaos that nearly everyone else brought. Robbie and Liam both got kind of sideswiped by Aimee, Ashley and especially Matt.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

holy god does matt know how to set a scene. the group just entered the tree in the feywild, with sondur. holy man

edit: vexhalia fuckin shot him

queeb fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 12, 2021

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Senjuro posted:

Pike and Yasha had some similar issues, namely frequent absences and Ashley's passivity, but where Pike comes out ahead, and what made her feel more active is that she was easier for others to bounce off of. She wasn't as gloomy, she had a strong connection with Grog and Scanlan, was considered the best person in the group, and as the cleric she was often essential. If nothing else the flashcards scene gives her the edge.

I'm really looking forward to seeing an Ashley character with her able to be there full time, Fearne was great in ExU.
Pike and Yasha definitely both suffered due to her Blindspott commitments, but she was doing well to keep engaged as she was with them. Trying to keep up with a campaign when real life commitments are keeping you away half the time is really hard.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Senjuro posted:

The good thing about the Vecna arc though is it was clearly set up much earlier and required no prodding by Matt to make the cast care about it.
One of the clearest examples of how underwhelming Cognoza was as an end boss is how Matt had to outright tell Taliesin that his character cares about this because the whole group seemed to be ignoring it completely. And even later when they already had plenty of information on how bad it is they were still at points considering to just let it do its thing.

A thing I appreciated about C2 was that they faced a threat that they had a difficult time getting anyone to believe was even real, and doing what they do would be a mostly thankless job. They got some help from some key people, but like no one is going to give them a parade. In that situation motivation is a challenge. C2 is a more difficult story than C1. I think they did okay, but I think it would be better if C3 found a way to be simpler.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

How long into c3 do you think its gonna be to get a thread title change?

I fall like 500 hours behind pretty drat quickly so I have to leave this thread unread, but if ya'll ever need a title change PM me or report a post in the thread with the title in it and for the reason put "Title Change." (A PM has 100% chance of me reading it, I'm not always the one to see TVIV reports)

Making a season 3 thread will probably be a good idea too.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Athanatos posted:

I fall like 500 hours behind pretty drat quickly so I have to leave this thread unread

At one point we agreed in the thread to spoiler stuff from like Thursdays to when the YouTube video dropped so people wouldn't feel like they had to avoid the thread. That never really happened and since, because I don't have Twitch and only watch on YouTube I'd have to avoid the thread for half the week until I could watch the latest episode. Then I'd fall behind two or three or more episodes and would have to avoid the thread for months at a time to avoid spoilers.

If we are going to a new thread I'd appreciate some kind of enforced spoiler tag policy. Whatever current thread consensus is, but just something that doesn't drive people who are not current out.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
There is no other livewatch thread that requires people to spoiler what they are live watching.

If it was something where they released like 13 episodes at once and you had people in different parts then sure, spoilers and episode number.

But People are generally live watching and posting and that seems absurd to spoiler.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Dexo posted:

There is no other livewatch thread that requires people to spoiler what they are live watching.

If it was something where they released like 13 episodes at once and you had people in different parts then sure, spoilers and episode number.

But People are generally live watching and posting and that seems absurd to spoiler.

Well that would be fair if the live show was the only way to watch CR. But since they ALSO put it out on YouTube the next Monday, it's just polite not to banish all those watchers every weekend. Especially since three hours on a weeknight is a big ask for people who work or go to school on Friday mornings.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

jng2058 posted:

Well that would be fair if the live show was the only way to watch CR. But since they ALSO put it out on YouTube the next Monday, it's just polite not to banish all those watchers every weekend. Especially since three hours on a weeknight is a big ask for people who work or go to school on Friday mornings.

TV shows are also put up the next day or two on vods.

Like if I miss an episode I just don't go into the thread until I catch it. Because I think it's fair for people to be able to talk about it without having to constantly be clicking on spoilers or whatever.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 13, 2021

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Half the reason I'm posting in the thread is for the liveposting aspect and I feel like that makes up a big chunk of the posts, too. It does suck when you fall behind on stuff but I think it's more like poster's discretion -- I wouldn't go into any show's thread that I'm behind on and not expect to see spoilers.

At least for something like the Vox Machina show it'd probably make sense since it "airs" at 3am.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The Vox Machina show sure. Because that's a video on demand and isn't a shared experience type thing. People will pause rewind etc etc.

But like imagine going into like a sports live watch thread and asking people not to spoil poo poo because they won't be able to catch the replay until it's up later in the week on the NFLs service.

Or like the GoT thread or anything else where people are talking and having a shared experience over a live event.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I agree about the live posting. The show is released at a reasonable-ish time and if something important happens (OUEVRE) the immediate thread reaction is so much fun!

(also if I wake up and there are a lot of unread pages I know that it may be worth checking out in advance)

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Athanatos posted:

Critical Role (on Twitch/Youtube, yes) - I fall like 500 hours behind pretty drat quickly so I have to leave this thread unread

I mean, if we're soliciting early S3 thread titles, might as well just put this evergreen one right here :chord:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Maybe a halfway decent compromise is to just put clear episode markers when things air like

:frogsiren: C3E1 spoilers beyond this post!! :frogsiren:

so people know where to stop reading until they're caught up.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Maybe a halfway decent compromise is to just put clear episode markers when things air like

:frogsiren: C3E1 spoilers beyond this post!! :frogsiren:

so people know where to stop reading until they're caught up.

Wouldn't that be the weekly DAMMIT, SAM posts? :v:

For me this is one of those shows I'll never watch completely so I don't worry about the backlog. I'll just watch the next week.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

jng2058 posted:

And that’s in the same timezone. Normally the shows start just as I start work on a Friday, so at best I catch the VOD 8-10 hours later, if not multiple days later.

But I also agree, if spoilers are an issue for someone personally, it’s more on that person to avoid that asking a group to adjust. There’s a balance though. Reading through some of the livewatch sessions, I got basically a play-by-play sometimes.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Just here to chime in on the live-posting aspect being part of my enjoyment of each weekly airing, even on days where I come to it later and in those cases I just hold off on opening the thread until I sit down to watch the episode.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Is the thread big enough for live spoiler chat to be split off into a separate thread maybe?

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Pinwiz11 posted:

I agree about the live posting. The show is released at a reasonable-ish time

I agree with the sentiment that it's up to individuals to avoid spoilers, I usually just avoid the thread between Thursday and Monday. I just wanted to reply to this post to point out that other time zones than the one you are in exist.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

I think it's safe to live post without spoiler tags just because the show's schedule has been so consistent for six years now. When I can't watch live, I just stop reading the thread until I can catch up Monday.

The only 'spoiler' I run into is when the thread goes from six unread posts to three hundred unread posts Friday morning, I know it's going to be a good one.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If thread consensus is not to bother with it then I'm not going to make a fuss about it. It'll just mean that I personally will basically have to bow out while campaigns are running and that sucks but its also life so whatevs. I figured I wasn't the only person in this position so it was worth bringing up as a point of discussion.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Dameius posted:

If thread consensus is not to bother with it then I'm not going to make a fuss about it. It'll just mean that I personally will basically have to bow out while campaigns are running and that sucks but its also life so whatevs. I figured I wasn't the only person in this position so it was worth bringing up as a point of discussion.

It’s definitely a valuable topic to discuss. Having live discussion mixed into a broader discussion thread makes things difficult.

At the same time I don’t know if the thread is active enough to justify a live thread and a separate discussion thread?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Maybe a separate live watch thread for big episodes? For example, next week's episode 1 or the live episodes.

The only issue is that an episode that goes from normal to OMG wouldn't be in a separate thread.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Lucas Archer posted:

Here’s hoping Matt stealth re-introduces Spelljammer.

Doesn't have too, looks a lot like WotC is already doing so. They put some major races from 2e Spelljammer up for playtesting just recently so unless they're loving with us Spelljammer is coming back in the near future.
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/travelers-multiverse

The autognome, thri-kreen, giff and plamsoids are pretty much only seen in Spelljammer so the fact they're playtesting the races is a good sign.

Took them long enough too.

That would be a hell of a playtest for it, though, if they got Crit Role to work it in. First small adventure is just a standard dungeon crawl but they find a salvageable Helm at the end, fix it up and off to wildpsace they go.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

seaborgium posted:

The autognome, thri-kreen, giff and plamsoids are pretty much only seen in Spelljammer so the fact they're playtesting the races is a good sign.

okay

quote:

The giff are split into two camps concerning how their
name is pronounced. Half of them say it with a hard g, half
with a soft g. Disagreements over the correct
pronunciation often blossom into hard feelings, loud
arguments, and headbutting contests, but rarely escalate
beyond that.

wotc must be stopped

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I can see the reasoning but I think we have to keep it in one thread and don't want to see the live commentary get spoiler barred. If you're a youtube watcher then I think avoiding the thread Thursday until Monday then picking up where you left off is best, just as if you'd DVR'd a weeknight show to watch on the weekend. I can see the cartoon getting the usual netflix/prime spoiler rules, but the twitch stream shouldn't have any.

One exception would be when they do a live show and then put it on stream/YT weeks later, the attendees and people reading spoilers/recaps should black bar discussion until it gets added to their youtube channel. I think that's only happened once or twice though?

My own viewing is weird, I watch the first half live, catch the rest on twitch or youtube depending on how engaged I am in finishing the episode, and usually don't shy away from reading the thread Friday morning to see what I missed.

If CR3 is Spelljammer I'll be staying up way too late to watch it all live.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
I was so disappointed that they didn't find a working Helm for Caleb to hook up to the Ball Eater in campaign two. I was sure they were heading for that.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

seaborgium posted:

Doesn't have too, looks a lot like WotC is already doing so. They put some major races from 2e Spelljammer up for playtesting just recently so unless they're loving with us Spelljammer is coming back in the near future.
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/travelers-multiverse

Took them long enough too.

That would be a hell of a playtest for it, though, if they got Crit Role to work it in. First small adventure is just a standard dungeon crawl but they find a salvageable Helm at the end, fix it up and off to wildpsace they go.

Thri-Kreen are Dark Sun originally, but that is the other rumored set to come back as well. Doubt that would get a mention in Critical Role, but who knows if they get to do one-shots as pre-releases/promos for WotC going forward.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
I'd watch the gently caress out of CR: Space Adventures let me tell you.

e: On Mondays after avoiding this thread for a few days. :v:

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Time to get intimate with Matt. :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYBM3myR914

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

TotalHell posted:

It’s definitely a valuable topic to discuss. Having live discussion mixed into a broader discussion thread makes things difficult.

At the same time I don’t know if the thread is active enough to justify a live thread and a separate discussion thread?

From what I saw during C2, this thread is not at all active enough to support both a live watch thread and a discussion thread. Unless there is community drama we rarely have much to talk about other than the current episode, and most of that discussion tends to happen as the episode airs or shortly after it.