Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

https://twitter.com/SleeplessDomain/status/1448166905030844416

So Goops did this before, with Anemone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Oh poo poo, when Anemone talked about Goops, she had the Forgetful Eyes:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Ah, see, she's helping. Everything's gonna be fine.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
https://twitter.com/aaronlinguini/status/1004116559571312640?lang=en

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is totally cool and not terrifying!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Does this suggest that being bitten by the monsters infects you with whatever Goops is and causes those nightmares the hospital was talking about?

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-9-page-20

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Goops: "They'll never let us into the movie theater looking like this."
Cassidy: "It'll be fine, just borrow a trenchcoat. Also, can we get caramel popcorn?"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Does this suggest that being bitten by the monsters infects you with whatever Goops is and causes those nightmares the hospital was talking about?

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-9-page-20

I think we're getting a peek into what monsters really are.

My personal theory is that the monsters are nightmares. That when the inner barrier covers the city during the night, it taps into the populace's dreams (the woman in white has interacted with Undine's dreams a couple of times but only when she's been asleep with the barrier up, which I don't think is a coincidence) and harvests them for power to fuel the outer barrier (the static effect on it looks exactly like the effect on people's eyes when they try to remember something they dreamed and forgot). But nightmares can't be used for this purpose and get spat out into the street as monsters so they don't mess up the rest of the system. Perhaps when they infect people they're just trying to get back home - and Goops is using that same pathway here.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
The Tessa thing did seem almost too obvious for Cagle. And hollllly poo poo.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Tenebrais posted:

I think we're getting a peek into what monsters really are.

My personal theory is that the monsters are nightmares. That when the inner barrier covers the city during the night, it taps into the populace's dreams (the woman in white has interacted with Undine's dreams a couple of times but only when she's been asleep with the barrier up, which I don't think is a coincidence) and harvests them for power to fuel the outer barrier (the static effect on it looks exactly like the effect on people's eyes when they try to remember something they dreamed and forgot). But nightmares can't be used for this purpose and get spat out into the street as monsters so they don't mess up the rest of the system. Perhaps when they infect people they're just trying to get back home - and Goops is using that same pathway here.

This is a cool theory, but it raises the question of why the outer barrier exists at all. The story is that it's to protect from monsters on the outside, but if monsters are just incidentally caused by the fueling of the outer barrier, that would have to be wrong.

Really interested in seeing more about the guy from the outside.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
What I find really interested is the text in the background:

YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND

I DON'T WANT TO BE HERE

IT'S NOT RIGHT

LET ME OUT

IT HAS TO STOP

WHY

I DON'T BELONG IN HERE

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 14, 2021

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Goops confirmed as a Radiohead fan

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Well this qualifies as a massive lore dump.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Interesting that these pages do have alt text.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

girl dick energy posted:

Interesting that these pages do have alt text.

The first page's is "Loading Playlist" and the second is System 0. Goops has good taste in background music.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Character poll closes late on Friday! Get your votes in if you haven't already!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

blastron posted:

The first page's is "Loading Playlist" and the second is System 0. Goops has good taste in background music.

Tessa looking to talk about anything else: Are all these songs so literal
Goops: no no
Also Goops: hits play on Dead Angle and Prison Strip

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-page-3

Oh good, something pleasant and totally normal to focus on.

(According to Cube's patreon, this is Tessa's capital-D Dream.)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Those are the same flowers/tree leaves seen at the edge of the outer barrier https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-17-page-12

Tessa's Dream being a queen carried by her friends is pretty loaded....

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Looking forward to finally seeing one of these, and I expect to have even more questions after this.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That alt text is not encouraging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRq0S_0FjkE

Edit: The lyrics Goops is hiding aren't exactly encouraging, either! You know, just a regular, good old-fashioned parade where you're being carried by your faceless friends to the sound of a song about drowning out your misery in the spectacle of society!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 17, 2021

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I wonder how much the dream is the girl's subconscious and how much of it is something chosen by the Woman in White. Or something to do with destiny, I don't know. Like, is the fact that Tessa is being carried by her friends indicative of her relative potential and power to the rest of them, and that she was destined to become their leader?

Or is it indicative of Tessa having a sense of inflated self-importance compared to the rest of them and seeing herself as a de-facto queen bee/leader of their friend group pre-powers (and/or expecting herself to become the Sailor Moon of the group, like "oh of course my powers would be the strongest")?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I'm guessing the dreams are a mix of various metaphors
Feels appropriately dream like to do something like that.

If this sequence is any indication https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-6-page-21 https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-6-page-23 (The dialog here is pretty important too....)

Undine's dream had her team represented by jellyfish, glowing, floating upward as she sunk down into the darkness. There's lots of ways to read into that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That Undyne was the first of her friends to have The Dream makes it extra unusual (or just extra :smith:) in its significance.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Speaking of which, I was just looking at that. Tessa's look in the final panel can be read in a lot of ways. She looks vaguely upset and not at all excited like the others.

Is she upset that Undine is in danger? Upset that the dynamic of their friend group might be changing? Upset that maybe some of them will be left out as far as who gets powers? Upset that she didn't get her powers first?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

Is she upset that Undine is in danger? Upset that the dynamic of their friend group might be changing? Upset that maybe some of them will be left out as far as who gets powers? Upset that she didn't get her powers first?

It comes up from time to time in the Discord that Tessa's whole deal feels very familiar to anyone who was a gifted kid growing up. She was just a naturally better magical girl than anyone around her, and got all the attention and fame and was just plain used to it to the point it caused some bitterness among her friends. Then she ran into actually failing at something, with serious consequences, and fell into a spiral as she realised she doesn't actually have much going for her.

Personally I think we can read that attitude a little further back too, to before they became magical girls - if she was already used to being treated as the best and most special girl for being a non-metaphorically gifted kid then she could easily slide into that same position as a magical girl. And that means reading that expression as shock and jealousy - she's so used to being the special one and yet here the cosmic powers-that-be that give people powers picked Undine over her. And given other dialogue we've seen in flashbacks Tessa was probably the last of her team to receive powers, so she kept getting hit with not being the Important One up until suddenly she was all over again.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

This is the second webcomic where I've seen Parade used as an alt-text soundtrack. In the other (K6BD) that character ended up getting a lot of people killed out of spite.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
So what you're saying is that Tessa would eat the worm?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Tenebrais posted:

It comes up from time to time in the Discord that Tessa's whole deal feels very familiar to anyone who was a gifted kid growing up. She was just a naturally better magical girl than anyone around her, and got all the attention and fame and was just plain used to it to the point it caused some bitterness among her friends. Then she ran into actually failing at something, with serious consequences, and fell into a spiral as she realised she doesn't actually have much going for her.

Personally I think we can read that attitude a little further back too, to before they became magical girls - if she was already used to being treated as the best and most special girl for being a non-metaphorically gifted kid then she could easily slide into that same position as a magical girl. And that means reading that expression as shock and jealousy - she's so used to being the special one and yet here the cosmic powers-that-be that give people powers picked Undine over her. And given other dialogue we've seen in flashbacks Tessa was probably the last of her team to receive powers, so she kept getting hit with not being the Important One up until suddenly she was all over again.

These are all really good points. Especially combined with this page:

Lines like "she uses her powers as an excuse to boss us around" and "she thinks she's actually more important than us". I think in some ways, Tessa did get used to feeling as if she was better than those around her, because things came easier to her, and her self-esteem became heavily predicated upon that. Like obviously she cares about her friends and isn't a narcissist or anything, she's just, you know, the protagonist of her own story in her head, as many young teens are. Right after that discussion, she decides to leave to prove to both herself and her team that she is as important as she thinks she is.

And then later on, being torn between wanting to feel like that necessary, powerful part of their team and caring about her friends.

Which obviously ends badly and she blames herself for not valuing them more or for valuing herself above them and her worldview/self-esteem instantly shatters. "Any one of you deserves to live more than I do."

Man this webcomic is so good and I find new stuff to appreciate every time I go back and reread it. I'm on tenterhooks waiting for the next page.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Seconding that, honestly Sleepless Domain has been going from strength to strength ... more or less for the entire run.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
It's a very good comic. Great art, great writing, good pacing, Cagle has really been knocking it out of the park.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Oh my god I never noticed Bud in the last panel of this :xd:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
One of the few flaws of this comic is that we don't see those two more often.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Tiny Myers posted:

These are all really good points. Especially combined with this page:

Lines like "she uses her powers as an excuse to boss us around" and "she thinks she's actually more important than us". I think in some ways, Tessa did get used to feeling as if she was better than those around her, because things came easier to her, and her self-esteem became heavily predicated upon that. Like obviously she cares about her friends and isn't a narcissist or anything, she's just, you know, the protagonist of her own story in her head, as many young teens are. Right after that discussion, she decides to leave to prove to both herself and her team that she is as important as she thinks she is.

And then later on, being torn between wanting to feel like that necessary, powerful part of their team and caring about her friends.

Which obviously ends badly and she blames herself for not valuing them more or for valuing herself above them and her worldview/self-esteem instantly shatters. "Any one of you deserves to live more than I do."

Man this webcomic is so good and I find new stuff to appreciate every time I go back and reread it. I'm on tenterhooks waiting for the next page.

Some of that first page is Sally being Sally. She's firey, abrasive, and doesn't like being told what to do. While Tessa has a superiority complex, Sally has an inferiority complex and lashes out and as a result, gets most of the group killed. She could do things like not rely on the rest of the group to take notes for her or figure out better ways to use her powers, but nope. Teen girl gonna teen girl.

A lot of Tessa's problem is that she feels like she HAS to carry the group because she does. Here's Sally on a normal night. At the same time, her position and powers are destroying her friend group and you can see her quietly approaching a breakdown through the second chapter. She's about to cry in this last panel here. I think that walking away at the cafe was less about proving superiority and more just, "I can't loving deal with this." I feel like there's more and someone did a really good job pointing out that Tessa was low-key depressed long before she got to "any of you deserves to live more than I do."

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I feel like 'Sally got the group killed' is about as fair as 'Tessa got the group killed.'

None of these teens were making good decisions, because everything around Magical Girls is sort of geared to minimize the perception of risk, and I don't think Tessa's superiority complex is either arguable or more to blame for her friends dying than the literal nightmare specter scheming to assassinate them.

E: The literal next page has Tessa pointing to her own face and saying "LEA. DER." to explain why she should always take the finishing blow. She and Sally are precisely matched in how the team's dysfunction works. Honestly it's a lot like a team of teens with a school project: The one with prior experience or aptitude does all the work, encouraging the rookies to slack off. The rookies feel like they don't get to make decisions so they half-rear end it, and the one with experience feels like they have to make all the decisions so starts resenting them. Both parties ought to be trying to get the less experienced/talented team members up to par with the team leader, but neither party is actually trying to make that happen. The dynamics are pretty common, and as the kid who always carried the team project in high school... yeah, that was also on me, not just on my teammates who slacked off, even though at the time I was convinced I was obviously being saintlike and self-sacrificing by taking charge.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 18, 2021

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Sylvia has her own reasons to resent Tessa's role: she was dependent on her MG income as sole earner for her family, so she needed Tessa to give her more air time (cough)

This led her to just continuously enable Sally's anxieties (not that she would like to listen to Sally herself)

Gwen just shuts off, leaving Tessa to rely on Undine to back her up, but Undine just wants to be peacemaker... just a toxic group dynamic all around. Really well-portrayed in so few pages :v:

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Yeah it's very clearly a friend group that was going to have some kind of blow-up eventually... but they all got magic powers as a magical girl team, so the blow-up was capitalized on by Goops and had casualties.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Joe Slowboat posted:

I feel like 'Sally got the group killed' is about as fair as 'Tessa got the group killed.'

None of these teens were making good decisions, because everything around Magical Girls is sort of geared to minimize the perception of risk, and I don't think Tessa's superiority complex is either arguable or more to blame for her friends dying than the literal nightmare specter scheming to assassinate them.

E: The literal next page has Tessa pointing to her own face and saying "LEA. DER." to explain why she should always take the finishing blow. She and Sally are precisely matched in how the team's dysfunction works. Honestly it's a lot like a team of teens with a school project: The one with prior experience or aptitude does all the work, encouraging the rookies to slack off. The rookies feel like they don't get to make decisions so they half-rear end it, and the one with experience feels like they have to make all the decisions so starts resenting them. Both parties ought to be trying to get the less experienced/talented team members up to par with the team leader, but neither party is actually trying to make that happen. The dynamics are pretty common, and as the kid who always carried the team project in high school... yeah, that was also on me, not just on my teammates who slacked off, even though at the time I was convinced I was obviously being saintlike and self-sacrificing by taking charge.

It’s so great because the knee jerk reaction for most people reading would be to assign blame to someone so you start looking for “who’s really responsible for the group falling apart?” And the more you look you realize, no one is to blame here, they’re just kids acting the way kids do. And that to me makes the whole situation even more heartbreaking because while it feels like Goops may have targeted team alchemical to get a very powerful prize, this whole exact thing could have happened to probably any MG team. Well probably not Team Melty though, because those two are perfect for each other.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Tiny Myers posted:

Oh my god I never noticed Bud in the last panel of this :xd:

Still probably my favorite panel from this entire comic lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I love that ad.